ODAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
HooDat

ODAC

Post by HooDat »

I can't believe none of the ODAC regulars made the jump to the "Lifeboat"?

Surely Scott Harris if no one else....?

Too good a conference with to great a history to not have its own thread.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
thatsmell

Re: ODAC

Post by thatsmell »

Lots of new blood in the ODAC and it's the same teams at the top year after year. How many teams in the ODAC now?
Still it's just a shuffling of the top four card in the deck. When does someone other than W&L, Noke, Lynchburg or H-SC make a run?
Would think R-MC and VaWes could do it. They have had programs for years, but just cant seem to make the jump. They are attractivce campuses too. Having seen some other not so great schools around the country make runs, I can't imagine recruits wouldnt want to go to those places.

:?: :?: :?:
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

thatsmell wrote:Lots of new blood in the ODAC and it's the same teams at the top year after year. How many teams in the ODAC now?
Still it's just a shuffling of the top four card in the deck. When does someone other than W&L, Noke, Lynchburg or H-SC make a run?
Well, Thatsmell, I think we could say that Noke and W&L have been there for decades; Lynchburg emerged later, and H-SC even more recently. Considering that things don't change overnight, I see the ODAC as a conference has been developing more top teams. Thinking that 2019 could be the year for W&L to make some real noise in D3.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I dont want to give short shrift to these teams as I'm not familiar with their entire records/history but if I remember Lynchburg had some respectable years under Moan in the 90s, but really grew and took the next step under Coach K in the mid 00s. H-SC had some good teams under Rostan in the 90s too.
I know R-MC has a somewhat storied lax tradition, with Kerwick and Corrigan heading up the programs, even if their tenures were short in Ashland and the results were up and down.
But I do remember R-MC making some noise in the late 90s knocking off the Gennies and a few others from time to time.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

It seems to me that the only D3 conference that's pretty strong top-to-bottom is the NESCAC. The Centennial has teams with a lot of history that have fallen onto hard times recently. The NCAC is still dominated by two teams. The SUNYAC has 1 or 2 nationally competitive teams; the CAC 3 or 4. So I'd say that by D3 standards, the ODAC is pretty competitive. Still hoping that the W&L LaxPower faithful make their way to this board.
minkhoo

Post by minkhoo »

At least one ODAC fan made it over! Go Generals!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Mink! Nice to see you! Hope your bretheren can join us!

;)
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

Bridgewater beat VaWes last year and the Eagles are on the rise. Looking forward to 2019. R-MC and W&L are always strong.
thatsmell wrote:Lots of new blood in the ODAC and it's the same teams at the top year after year. How many teams in the ODAC now?
Would think R-MC and VaWes could do it. They have had programs for years, but just cant seem to make the jump. They are attractivce campuses too. Having seen some other not so great schools around the country make runs, I can't imagine recruits wouldnt want to go to those places.

:?: :?: :?:
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Howdy
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

thescottharris wrote:Howdy
Welcome, Scott, good to have you here. Any predictions for the conference in 2019? The preliminary schedules are out, what do you think are the best OOC games?
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

I have heard really good things out of fall camp at Lynchburg. They return a lot of offensive firepower in Lombardo, Adams, Rogers, and Robinson. Defense returns a lot also in McDonald, Meadows, Gallagher, Willertz. Need to find a new goalie but I like their depth. Anyone know how the recovery is going for Andrew Thomas?
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

LC celebrates 30 years of lacrosse this season. Started under a guy named Mike Hyer and had some good years early 80’s. NOKE dominated and HSC was already established {FYI Fanno}. I think Guilford was the only other is the budding ODAC back then. Mid 80’s saw a guy named Mike Hubbard, an all-American Middie from u of Maryland take over before Moon. Cheers to Coach K’s accomplishments including reaching back to all alumni.
This year will be a battle to beat W&L.
LC will give them a fight. I also heard fall ball going well and that they are big and deep. There schedule is up. Wesleyan v. LC at the Green Turtle is slated!!!
Glad to have found this by chance off a Facebook post.
Thank you for keeping it going'
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Nothinbutthelax wrote:LC celebrates 30 years of lacrosse this season. Started under a guy named Mike Hyer and had some good years early 80’s. NOKE dominated and HSC was already established {FYI Fanno}. I think Guilford was the only other is the budding ODAC back then. Mid 80’s saw a guy named Mike Hubbard, an all-American Middie from u of Maryland take over before Moon. Cheers to Coach K’s accomplishments including reaching back to all alumni.
This year will be a battle to beat W&L.
LC will give them a fight. I also heard fall ball going well and that they are big and deep. There schedule is up. Wesleyan v. LC at the Green Turtle is slated!!!
Glad to have found this by chance off a Facebook post.
Thank you for keeping it going'
Interesting history. And it was around 1985 or so that W&L went from D1 to D3? I did see W&L play in a 1987 D3 semi-final; should be making it to Lexington, VA again, would love to catch a game there. Playing Wesleyan is great for Lynchburg, and as usual that's a very good OOC schedule.
Nothinbutthelax

Correction - 40 years of LC lax
I think it was 1987 W&L came over (without the Armadillo stall... look that up for kicks)
With Ferrum now in the ODAC there are 11 teams eliminating 1 OOC game the big 4 really need. On the plus side, ODAC play does allow for the big 4 to get guys PT / experience.. I’m sure any ODAC fan would love to see other teams break in as serious contenders. VA Wesleyan may be closest IMHO.
Nothinbutthelax

Hey Pride, update on Andrew Thomas. He played with the 1st line against Frostburg and Gettysburg Sunday.
2nd string played most of Frostburg game with LC handling them by 10.
1st string played most of Gettysburg with Andrew scoring 2 or 3 with and assist or 2. That leaves 4 strong attack men.
Fall ball doesn’t mean to much other then seeing where team stands but LC handles Gettysburg by holding them under 10 goals..
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Responding to a post here from NBL's comment in the Top 20 discussion, thought it was more appropriate in the ODAC forum. The discussion was about who the better teams would be in the ODAC, and NBL mentioned he wasn't sold on W&L's defense. I just wondered why not. Seeing as it is a slow time of year and we are all starving for anything lacrosse, I thought I'd post. Within the conference last year, W&L led the league in shots on cage allowed (143 vs. LC at 154 and Roanoke at 174) and in caused turnovers (109 vs. Roanoke at 105 and Randolph Macon next at 81). W&L was second in goals against (68 vs. Roanoke #1 with 66 and LC at 74). I looked at how the top four teams did against each other. Roanoke had the lowest GAA with 10.67, followed by W&L at 11. HS gave up 12.3 and LC 14. In caused turnovers, it wasn't close. W&L averaged 11.3 per game against the other 3, with Roanoke next on the list at 5.7. W&L only graduated one starter at close and one of their SSDM's, so the unit is nearly intact for 2019. Of course everything needs to be proven on the field, but not sure I would pick the defense as a glaring weakness for the team.
Nothinbutthelax

Hey CT, Merry Christmas!

Not saying defense is a glaring weakness, just think they will be more pressured.
Kyle Gifford was a gamer who will be hard to replace. A solid pole will step up but will be a weaker link, IMHO.
Dardani was a 3 year starter, took pressure off AJ, 43% shooter, 71% on goal. Not sure the replacement will QB as well when Defenses slide hard and fast to AJ. Guys may force to AJ, ball watch when he has it. Veith, 4th leading scorer, gone and shot clock hurrying things I’m thinking the ball will be turned over or offense has to bail, fall back and ride putting ball on defensive end more often..Other than Zusi Middies lack size. If stuck on a defense I’m thinking they will be at disadvantage..
Hodgson winning @ 65%..I’m betting no.

As you say, staved for lax so I may be reaching but knowing Lynchburg’s personnel and coaching I’m having visions of another ODAC championship ringing in head..
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Merry Christmas to you as well, NBL!

Have to say I agree with you on Dardani. He was a bit unsung but they will miss his contributions for sure. Steady hand when AJ was shut off and a great off ball complement to AJ when he was dodging. We will see who steps up.

April 20th is on my calendar.
Nothinbutthelax

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cans/53490

Congratulation to the 8 ODAC players. All worthy.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Since this topic is mostly dead for now, I figured I'd drop some news. My last day at H-SC was Saturday. Getting out of the college athletics game.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”