Preseason S&C

D1 Mens Lacrosse
camskidamski

Preseason S&C

Post by camskidamski »

Saw a lot of debate on Twitter/X stemming from this :

https://x.com/danarestia/status/1744369 ... 11429?s=61

Anyone have program specific tests or just overall thoughts? I think there are compelling arguments on both sides especially with the more modern views on fitness. Fire away!
OCanada

Re: Preseason S&C

Post by OCanada »

Clickbait to me
coda

Post by coda »

camskidamski wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:10 pm Saw a lot of debate on Twitter/X stemming from this :

https://x.com/danarestia/status/1744369 ... 11429?s=61

Anyone have program specific tests or just overall thoughts? I think there are compelling arguments on both sides especially with the more modern views on fitness. Fire away!
I am sure there are a few teams doing something like a mile run test. I dont think this is in the sense of a combine type thing, where they are judging athletic ability. It is more "which one of you were a fat, lazy bastard this offseason" type test.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Pre-COVID, I was down in College Park in the fall. The women's tennis team was completing a series of timed sprints on the old varsity team house field. The team's trainer was counting down their resting times and the sprint splits.

This was their fitness test that they had to pass in order to be cleared for full fall practice.

These types of sprints were touched at the time in College Park because it was during these types of sprints that Jordan McNair got heat stroke and died in a preseason football training session.

As far as I know, having fitness tests for most D1 sports is a norm in order to clear players for practice. Are they like the old, almost fraternity-type hazing that probably used to happen? Probably not.

When I played back in the day, during fall ball, our coach made us run a 5-mile neighborhood course before practice started. When we got back, he asked an assistant coach what we should do next. The assistant said "make them run it again." Off we went. That's probably a little different than what most programs are doing now with their spring fitness tests.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's to scare players into staying in shape over winter break.

Only half joking. It's less about actual fitness and more about team building/camaraderie/buy-in. Setting the tone for the preseason, getting everyone on the same page, lifting each other up through a trying ordeal.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”