Best COACH In Your Program's History?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Best COACH In Your Program's History?

Post by gymman1031 »

For some, there is an obvious answer. However, for others, there are multiple ones to consider.
10stone5

Re: Best COACH In Your Program's History?

Post by 10stone5 »

I was going to post this elsewhere,

those 1970s coaches were outstanding, Ciccarone at Hopkins, Beardmore at Maryland, Moran at Cornell, Simmons Jr was starting to build that Syracuse dynamo.

Interesting that two succumbed to the non-stop pressure, in my view, where you almost had to be perfect to win a title during that decade - with Ciccarone and Beardmore moving on from coaching.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:08 pm I was going to post this elsewhere,

those 1970s coaches were outstanding, Ciccarone at Hopkins, Beardmore at Maryland, Moran at Cornell, Simmons Jr was starting to build that Syracuse dynamo.

Interesting that two succumbed to the non-stop pressure, in my view, where you almost had to be perfect to win a title during that decade - with Ciccarone and Beardmore moving on from coaching.
Chic was Hopkins best. 7 consecutive title games. Chic didn’t exactly move on from Coaching. He had very serious health issues he had to deal with
Last edited by OCanada on Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:12 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:08 pm I was going to post this elsewhere,

Chic was Hopkins best. 7 consecutive title games. Chic didn’t exactly move on from Coaching. He had very serious gealth issues he had to deal with
Yep! AND, he left the program in incredible shape for Zimmerman. In Zim's fourth season(1987), in which Hopkins won the title, several of the players were still Chic's.
molo

Post by molo »

Lars Tiffany for UVA. He took over a declining program and missed the NCAAT his first year. Second year took them back to the tournament but lost to Loyola in the first round. Next season opened with at Loyola and finished as NC, beating the defending NC. Covid wiped out the next year. Won the NC again in 2021. Lost in QFs to NC Maryland in 2022. Lost in OT to NC ND in semis.
Starsia amassed a slew of wins along with four NCs but also presided over a period of decline. Prior to hhs arrival, the school had its share of exceptional teams but a bit of a history of inconsistency occasional underachievement.
I don’t know Tiffany and I graduated quite a while ago, but it seems that there has been a shift in the “culture,” to use a term that i associated with the arts but has become a catchall term for behavior among athletes. My sense is that he has transformed a program that at times has placed “fun” over discipline into a somewhat more focused entity, no easy feat.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:31 pm Lars Tiffany for UVA. He took over a declining program and missed the NCAAT his first year. Second year took them back to the tournament but lost to Loyola in the first round. Next season opened with at Loyola and finished as NC, beating the defending NC. Covid wiped out the next year. Won the NC again in 2021. Lost in QFs to NC Maryland in 2022. Lost in OT to NC ND in semis.
Starsia amassed a slew of wins along with four NCs but also presided over a period of decline. Prior to hhs arrival, the school had its share of exceptional teams but a bit of a history of inconsistency occasional underachievement.
I don’t know Tiffany and I graduated quite a while ago, but it seems that there has been a shift in the “culture,” to use a term that i associated with the arts but has become a catchall term for behavior among athletes. My sense is that he has transformed a program that at times has placed “fun” over discipline into a somewhat more focused entity, no easy feat.
Game ain’t over for Lars. Way too early to make that call IMO
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wrapcheque

Post by wrapcheque »

And how many coaches can be named/considered for more than one Division I program besides Tierney?
Emmer, Army/W&L?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wrapcheque wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 pm And how many coaches can be named/considered for more than one Division I program besides Tierney?
Emmer, Army/W&L?
Good call. Starsia at Brown and Virginia. And maybe Pressler at Duke and Bryant.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:31 pm Lars Tiffany for UVA. He took over a declining program and missed the NCAAT his first year. Second year took them back to the tournament but lost to Loyola in the first round. Next season opened with at Loyola and finished as NC, beating the defending NC. Covid wiped out the next year. Won the NC again in 2021. Lost in QFs to NC Maryland in 2022. Lost in OT to NC ND in semis.
just writing about it doesn't make it so. starsia not only won 4 championships but lost 2 or 3 in overtime. they were constantly in the hunt, save several years until the end, which... if things didn't end badly, they wouldn't end. starsia had teams that bought in to winning. tiffany has taken his opportunity and, hopefully, it's a long reign.
a fan

Post by a fan »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:03 pm
wrapcheque wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 pm And how many coaches can be named/considered for more than one Division I program besides Tierney?
Emmer, Army/W&L?
Good call. Starsia at Brown and Virginia. And maybe Pressler at Duke and Bryant.
Urick.....both for Hobart, and for G'town.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

a fan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:22 pm
Emmer, Army/W&L?
If he stays at Rutgers awhile longer and does well, maybe Brian Brecht at both Siena and Rutgers?
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Emmer, Army/W&L?
McMinn
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:14 pm
Emmer, Army/W&L?
McMinn
Good call! Another one!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell has had several great coaches, many of whom are still active. I've listed them by the number of wins for coaches over.500:

Richie Moran: 257-121 (.680)
Jeff Tambroni: 109-39 (.736)
Jim Smith: 75-56-2 (.571)
Ben DeLuca: 37-11 (.771)
Ned Harkness: 35-1 (.972)
Matt Kerwick: 32-26 (.552)
Pete Milliman: 28-10 (.736)
Connor Buczek: 25-9 (.7325)
Dave Pietramala23-17 (.576)

Aside from Coach Moran, I'd rate Coaches Harkness and Tambroni as true "greats" at Cornell. I'd rank Coaches DeLuca, Milliman and Buczek as possible greats with added time. Coach Pietramala was obviously great as a player and coach at JHU.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ned Harkness

35 wins, one loss !!!

Sheesh !

In 1965, tragedy struck when two Big Red assistant lacrosse coaches were killed when their plane crashed on the way home from a recruiting trip. Harkness was called upon to assist head lacrosse coach Bob Cullen, and the next year, after Cullen stepped down, Harkness was made the new head coach of Big Red lacrosse at the request of his players. Over his three years leading the lacrosse team, he posted a 35-1 record and won a pair of Ivy League titles that were sandwiched around a runner-up finish.

Last edited by 10stone5 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Petro started the rebuild of the Cornell lax program
Last edited by OCanada on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:49 pm Cornell has had several great coaches, many of whom are still active. I've listed them by the number of wins for coaches over.500:

Richie Moran: 257-121 (.680)
Jeff Tambroni: 109-39 (.736)
Jim Smith: 75-56-2 (.571)
Ben DeLuca: 37-11 (.771)
Ned Harkness: 35-1 (.972)
Matt Kerwick: 32-26 (.552)
Pete Milliman: 28-10 (.736)
Connor Buczek: 25-9 (.7325)
Dave Pietramala23-17 (.576)

Aside from Coach Moran, I'd rate Coaches Harkness and Tambroni as true "greats" at Cornell. I'd rank Coaches DeLuca, Milliman and Buczek as possible greats with added time. Coach Pietramala was obviously great as a player and coach at JHU.

I’m reposting this tremendous SI article on Ned Harkness, a very good read,

JANUARY 02, 1967
THE POISON IVY IN THE IVY LEAGUE
HIS METHODS AND THEIR MANNERS MAY BE ANATHEMA TO THE BUTTON-DOWN-COLLAR CROWD, BUT CORNELL'S NED HARKNESS

https://vault.si.com/vault/1967/01/02/t ... ivy-league

Post by laxfan1313 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:58 pm Petro started the rebuild of the Cornell lax program
And when he was hired, he promised he wouldn't jump to JHU if an opening arose. An opening arose & he jumped.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:22 pm
Emmer, Army/W&L?
Love Dave but I wondered w Bart him or Jerry Schmidt. Hard to argue w 12 straight titles but Schmidt has almost the same win % and a hard to compare different landscape / field.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:50 pm Ned Harkness

35 wins, one loss !!!

Sheesh !

In 1965, tragedy struck when two Big Red assistant lacrosse coaches were killed when their plane crashed on the way home from a recruiting trip. Harkness was called upon to assist head lacrosse coach Bob Cullen, and the next year, after Cullen stepped down, Harkness was made the new head coach of Big Red lacrosse at the request of his players. Over his three years leading the lacrosse team, he posted a 35-1 record and won a pair of Ivy League titles that were sandwiched around a runner-up finish.

Harkness would be considered RPI’s greatest lax coach, too. Started their program, took that college team to the London Olympics (exhibition sport) as the US representative and tied the British as the two best teams, and won a Wingate with RPI in the early 50’s.

Then he went on to his Cornell lax success.

Wasn’t a bad hockey coach, either, and btw basically ran the show leading up to and during the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics. Then ran the Winter Olympics training facility there until it was moved to CO. He ran Lake Placid before George Leveille! Lol

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”