NEW RULE PROPOSALS

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Thanks, Mrs. Everson! Happy now!?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Let's call these new rules exactly what they are, shall we?

The NCAA's Appeasement of Carolyn Everson Pound of Flesh Rules.
LaxDadMax

Re: NEW RULE PROPOSALS

Post by LaxDadMax »

Dasher wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:19 pm Mindy McCord out calling for an emergency meeting of the IWCLA on the disastrous new rules caused her 60 minute game to take 2:38 to play. Never tested out in fall ball. Hate to say we saw this coming but … we saw this coming.
To be fair, with the tempo USF plays, they will ALWAYS have the longest games in the nation due to shorter possessions which yield more possessions which yield more goals.

In the fall ball I saw last weekend, the game was marginally longer but that was mainly due to refs taking time to 1) discuss rules amongst themselves and 2) explain them to the coaches.

While I think the new rules may be extending the game, I think declaring the rules a disaster after 2 weeks is a big premature.

While there were more whistle, I did see 4 charges called in the first game I watched, which I think is a big step in the right direction. I also liked the new 3 second rule which definitely reduced the number of shooting spaces
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

The fastest game on two feet became the slowest on two feet overnight with these new rules. It’s hard to understand what they were trying to accomplish with these green cards, but extending games that should take 1.5 hrs to play to 2.5 hrs was probably not one of them. And safety can’t be a reason when green cards are issued for things like holding and inadvertent bumps. Don’t take away the advantage players have in transitions with their athleticism and speed. These rules need to be drastically altered before the Spring season.

As for USF, they play the game the way it’s supposed to be - the fastest game on two feet. Fast transitions with speedy athletes makes the game exciting. The IWLCA is now rewarding less athletic teams by slowing the game to a crawl with silly green cards that will not address safety and will extend the length of games. We might as well shorten the field to just two 8 meters and let teams settle into their slow set offenses.
Last edited by VAMomGlax2019 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:55 am The fastest game on two feet became the slowest on two feet overnight with these new rules. It’s hard to understand what they were trying to accomplish with these green cards, but extending games that should take 1.5 hrs to play to 2.5 hrs was probably not one of them. And safety can’t be a reason when green cards are being called for things like holding and inadvertent bumps. Don’t take away the advantage players have in transitions with their athleticism and speed. These rules need to be drastically altered before the Spring season.
These rules are intended to provide more advantage in transition. How many times does a girl is transition get hacked to death, turn the ball over and allow the defense to get back in place.
carrollax

Post by carrollax »

Watched 2 scrimmages over the weekend and think players, coaches and referees are still getting used to the rules. I do like the green cards for senseless cross checks in the open field, especially when trying to slow down a fast break. Some of the others are ticky/tacky IMO. Defense was always rewarded for overly aggressive checking and now green card issued. The best teams will have to make teams pay when they are a player up. Games were slightly longer but the play on the field was still fast.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:54 am
Dasher wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:19 pm Mindy McCord out calling for an emergency meeting of the IWCLA on the disastrous new rules caused her 60 minute game to take 2:38 to play. Never tested out in fall ball. Hate to say we saw this coming but … we saw this coming.
To be fair, with the tempo USF plays, they will ALWAYS have the longest games in the nation due to shorter possessions which yield more possessions which yield more goals.

In the fall ball I saw last weekend, the game was marginally longer but that was mainly due to refs taking time to 1) discuss rules amongst themselves and 2) explain them to the coaches.

While I think the new rules may be extending the game, I think declaring the rules a disaster after 2 weeks is a big premature.

While there were more whistle, I did see 4 charges called in the first game I watched, which I think is a big step in the right direction. I also liked the new 3 second rule which definitely reduced the number of shooting spaces
The issue is these rules were never tested in game play. Period. Players, fans and youth lacrosse's interest in the game will wane as you add arcane, subjective rules bi-yearly. Wait until we add replay...lol. No other sport that wants to be taken seriously does this. McCord argues that she has greater injury concerns now due to extended game times and player exhaustion. Carding non dangerous fouls, bumps, and jostling in the midfield isn't the way.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Dasher wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:18 am

The issue is these rules were never tested in game play. Period. Players, fans and youth lacrosse's interest in the game will wane as you add arcane, subjective rules bi-yearly. Wait until we add replay...lol. No other sport that wants to be taken seriously does this. McCord argues that she has greater injury concerns now due to extended game times and player exhaustion. Carding non dangerous fouls, bumps, and jostling in the midfield isn't the way.
Player exhaustion? Here’s a hint…..play more players.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Bart wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:22 am

Considering the cumulative impact of physical exertion, the introduction of intermittent substitution, and the influence of fatigue on decision-making, how might the dynamic interplay between player endurance, sideline rotations, and cognitive load during gameplay interact to create a multifaceted understanding of exhaustion's ramifications on strategic adaptations within the sport, especially when evaluating the implications for both offensive and defensive positional assignments?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

TheRaven wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:26 am Considering the cumulative impact of physical exertion, the introduction of intermittent substitution, and the influence of fatigue on decision-making, how might the dynamic interplay between player endurance, sideline rotations, and cognitive load during gameplay interact to create a multifaceted understanding of exhaustion's ramifications on strategic adaptations within the sport, especially when evaluating the implications for both offensive and defensive positional assignments?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Bart wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:22 am

Yes, or slow down the tempo or both. When the pioneer of run and gun women's lacrosse complains about player exhaustion, you have to take it with a grain of salt.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

carrollax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:10 am Watched 2 scrimmages over the weekend and think players, coaches and referees are still getting used to the rules. I do like the green cards for senseless cross checks in the open field, especially when trying to slow down a fast break. Some of the others are ticky/tacky IMO. Defense was always rewarded for overly aggressive checking and now green card issued. The best teams will have to make teams pay when they are a player up. Games were slightly longer but the play on the field was still fast.
Completely mirrors what I saw. I do think these changes will increase scoring since it is now easier to score in transition which will lengthen games.

I think over time most teams will adjust by dropping at least 2 middies out of the rides to prevent fast breaks.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

TheRaven wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:26 am
Considering the cumulative impact of physical exertion, the introduction of intermittent substitution, and the influence of fatigue on decision-making, how might the dynamic interplay between player endurance, sideline rotations, and cognitive load during gameplay interact to create a multifaceted understanding of exhaustion's ramifications on strategic adaptations within the sport, especially when evaluating the implications for both offensive and defensive positional assignments?
I think the evolution of the game has made fatigue less of a factor within a single contest. It is easier than ever to ride the starters because there are so many recovery opportunities. Coaches may not feel that the marginal benefit of subbing is worth the drop-off in quality of play. However, the benefits of recovery accumulate over the course of a season and can be the difference when it matters most. To Raven’s point (I think? :lol: ), coaches who have the depth and/or discipline to systematically sub could see a return on that investment especially come conference/national tournament time.

Remains to be seen how new rules will impact this dynamic.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Not a fan of what USF is doing. Was super excited when they started the program. Thought she was gonna build from the ground up and take its time. Think Clemson sped up their process for them. 45 kids on the roster already and one more recruiting class to go. 😳
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:06 am
carrollax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:10 am Watched 2 scrimmages over the weekend and think players, coaches and referees are still getting used to the rules. I do like the green cards for senseless cross checks in the open field, especially when trying to slow down a fast break. Some of the others are ticky/tacky IMO. Defense was always rewarded for overly aggressive checking and now green card issued. The best teams will have to make teams pay when they are a player up. Games were slightly longer but the play on the field was still fast.
Completely mirrors what I saw. I do think these changes will increase scoring since it is now easier to score in transition which will lengthen games.

I think over time most teams will adjust by dropping at least 2 middies out of the rides to prevent fast breaks.

Any flopping cards? That one I like!
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:46 am
Not a fan of what USF is doing. Was super excited when they started the program. Thought she was gonna build from the ground up and take its time. Think Clemson sped up their process for them. 45 kids on the roster already and one more recruiting class to go. 😳
They have 20 freshmen and 7 transfers (27, not 45) on the roster seemingly all willing to redshirt this year and begin play next. Another ~14 commits for next year coming in as true freshmen. Seems to be building from the ground up to me. Clemson had over 20 transfers their first year of play.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

McCord posted a clip that highlighted one of the 24 CARDS handed out in the game. Broken...super broken.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

There's been several other fall games played at this point. Has this been the norm at USC, UNC, Georgetown, Villanova, UVA, etc? If so, I haven't seen anyone posting about it. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period for officials and coaches/players and hopefully anything approaching 24 cards never happens come spring.

Was the USF game an intrasquad scrimmage using local refs in Florida?
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:49 pm
They have 20 freshmen and 7 transfers (27, not 45) on the roster seemingly all willing to redshirt this year and begin play next. Another ~14 commits for next year coming in as true freshmen. Seems to be building from the ground up to me. Clemson had over 20 transfers their first year of play.
This year doesn’t count. They aren’t playing. With zero transfers next year USF Will be 38-40 the first spring they step on the field for real. 2025 class will bump that up to 45-47. They got Chep and other transfers. 20 (23s) 14 (24s) 7 (25). And then whatever they add for the 2026 class. Then again, if you listen to the Assoc HC and she was being honest, some of the 2024s taken last year won’t be there. At least that’s what she said when my daughter told her she was concerned the roster was too big. 😉 But this shouldn’t be on this forum posts. Should be in recruiting. My bad. I agree with Coach Mindy. The new rules stink!
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:25 pm
spidey44 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:49 pm
This year doesn’t count. They aren’t playing. With zero transfers next year USF Will be 38-40 the first spring they step on the field for real. 2025 class will bump that up to 45-47. They got Chep and other transfers. 20 (23s) 14 (24s) 7 (25). And then whatever they add for the 2026 class. Then again, if you listen to the Assoc HC and she was being honest, some of the 2024s taken last year won’t be there. At least that’s what she said when my daughter told her she was concerned the roster was too big. 😉 But this shouldn’t be on this forum posts. Should be in recruiting. My bad. I agree with Coach Mindy. The new rules stink!
Florida State is getting a program in 2025-26. Wow. Maybe they’ll take a few of those kids.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Dasher wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:35 pm McCord posted a clip that highlighted one of the 24 CARDS handed out in the game. Broken...super broken.
Yes and the clip was exactly what the rule is trying to prevent -- it was a cross check, slightly behind in transition. Admittedly, not super hard. A play that players have been taught to do in the past in order to slow down transition.

This is the problem with free movement, you are incentivizing defenders to just hack at players in transition.

I'm sure over time players will be taught to play good fundament defense and the impact of these cards will be much smaller.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”