D — Ellie Hollin, Penn State
D — Rachel Matey, James Madison
D — Brooklyn Walker-Welch, North Carolina
D — Emma Wightman, USC
G — Lauren Spence, Loyola
PhanLax99

Re: IWLCA 2023 All-Americans

Post by PhanLax99 »

Love seeing Rhatigan get 2nd team! What a talent she is and has really brought the NW offense some balance.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

It's pretty ridiculous that they have 7 attackers on the first team and only two midfielders. What a joke!!
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

PhanLax99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:52 pm Love seeing Rhatigan get 2nd team! What a talent she is and has really brought the NW offense some balance.
I've really enjoyed watching her be successful this year! I think before this season it might have been easier for people to look past her because she didn't play for a powerhouse school or conference, so her success at Northwestern has been a validation of not just her talent but also the talent that exists all across the landscape, which is ultimately good for everyone.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Brownlax wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:27 pm It's pretty ridiculous that they have 7 attackers on the first team and only two midfielders. What a joke!!
I thought the same thing
No love for baby Tyrell?
It’s crazy the first list that comes out right the preseason all Americans and then the actual list that comes out pretty amazing
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Isn't Wilson from Loyola 1st Team middie?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Lax101 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:09 pm Isn't Wilson from Loyola 1st Team middie?
yes
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Kind of boggles my mind that Jillian Wilson is not -- nowhere -- on this list. So much for the true two-way midfielder.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:43 am Kind of boggles my mind that Jillian Wilson is not -- nowhere -- on this list. So much for the true two-way midfielder.
She was recognized as an IWLCA First Team AA at midfield, but I think she was just accidentally omitted from the list posted here.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:51 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:43 am Kind of boggles my mind that Jillian Wilson is not -- nowhere -- on this list. So much for the true two-way midfielder.
She was recognized as an IWLCA First Team AA at midfield, but I think she was just accidentally omitted from the list posted here.
Yes, she’s here:

https://www.iwlca.org/news_article/show/1273961
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Overall player and positional player of the year was announced.
Player and Attacker of the Year: Izzy Scane
Midfielder of the Year: Jillian Wilson
Defender of the Year: Sam Thacker
Goalie of the Year: Delaney Sweitzer
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

jff97 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:47 pm Overall player and positional player of the year was announced.
I guess for goalkeeper of the year they leaned more heavily towards the fact that she was final four because honestly, her overall stats in my opinion, wouldn’t make her the best goalkeeper of the year
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

It’s fascinating to me that Sam Thacker won the award for best defender the year after Emma trenchard did. They couldn’t be more different. Thacker is a caused turnovers and gb machine in a special zone defense. She also collects DCs. Plays virtually no man to man and is their 3rd or 4th best clearing option. She was the best player on the best defense in the country this year.

Trenchard did one thing incredibly well and other things well. She was a great eraser, to the extent there is such a thing in women’s lax given the advantages given to attackers. She took on the toughest matchups in college and generally came out on top…. Was not a team leader in gbs or CT’s. Wasn’t even in top 3 on her own defense. Was judicious on clears (ie, favored passing over running it out solo).
But she was the top cover option on the best defense in the country.

Two completely different players….and both defenders of the year. What a great game……
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:07 pm
jff97 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:47 pm Overall player and positional player of the year was announced.
I guess for goalkeeper of the year they leaned more heavily towards the fact that she was final four because honestly, her overall stats in my opinion, wouldn’t make her the best goalkeeper of the year
I agree. Likewise, not sure Thacker is one of the Top 5 defenders in wlax - never mind being the top defender.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:01 am
Madlax59 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:07 pm
I agree. Likewise, not sure Thacker is one of the Top 5 defenders in wlax - never mind being the top defender.
Couldn't agree more here but...that is my opinion on what a defender's role is on a team and what I expect. Playing a ZONE makes it hard to prove yourself in my book but the votes thought something different.

I also think that Sweitzer's play was critical to Syracuse's success. If she played well (making stops that she shouldn't have) then the weakness at defense was covered up and the offense would score enough. If she played anywhere close to last year then Syracuse would have had a long season.
Heyward

Post by Heyward »

Interesting how things have evolved. Not one Ivy League player on any of the 3 teams.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Heyward wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:51 pm Interesting how things have evolved. Not one Ivy League player on any of the 3 teams.
I am confident they'll make their way back on. Ivy League is going to take longer than most to recover from COVID since they canceled the 2020 and 2021 seasons and cannot accept graduate transfers (they, in Feb 2021, did issue a one-time waiver for current senior Ivy League student athletes to use their 5th year if they enrolled as a grad student at their current school during the 2021-22 academic year, but that was essentially negligible).

Ivy League schools are still desired amongst recruits and likely always will be.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Brownlax wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:27 pm It's pretty ridiculous that they have 7 attackers on the first team and only two midfielders. What a joke!!
Totally agree! And pick an actual team, just like we watch during games.

Sarah Reznick should have been First team. And why can't the girl from Wagner(Lauren DiStefano) get some damn respect? Oh that's right, she didn't go to the RIGHT school or play in the RIGHT conference or League. Right?? :roll:

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”