Fall Ball 2018

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Fall Ball 2018

Post by Dr. Tact »

This was posted elsewhere, but should be recreated here...

Loyola Maryland:

ODU Play Day with VCU and ODU - 9/29
UNC - 10/13
Loyola Play Day with UMD, Mich., Penn - 10/14
Florida - 10/20
Duke - 10/21
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Re: Fall Ball 2018

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Here's the preliminary schedule for Richmond WLAX...

Spiders WLAX @ Virginia Oct 3
Spiders WLAX @ William & Mary Play Day Oct 6
Spiders WLAX @ George Mason Play Day Oct 20
Spiders WLAX @ Duke Play Day Oct 27
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

St Joe's WLAX Preliminary Schedule...

9/15 SJU v Army @ St Joe's Tournament
9/15 SJU v Iona @ St Joe's Tournament
10/6 @ Navy Play Day
10/13 @ Temple "Philly5" Tournament (Temple, St Joes, LaSalle, Villanova, Drexel)
10/20 vs. Drexel
AllRob

Post by AllRob »

Northwestern's Fall Schedule:

9/29/2018 Marquette University, Evanston, Ill.
10/12/2018 Alumna Game, Evanston, Ill.
10/21/2018 Ohio State University, Evanston, Ill.
10/27/2018 Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Mass.
10/28/2018 Syracuse University, Cohasset, Mass.
10/28/2018 Dartmouth College, Cohasset, Mass.
10/28/2018 Boston College, Cohasset, Mass.
11/2/2018 University of Notre Dame, Evanston, Ill.
LaxOnLaxOff

Post by LaxOnLaxOff »

2018 ECU Women's Lacrosse Fall Schedule

September 16 – at Virginia Tech Play Day (9 a.m.)
October 12 – vs. Campbell University (3 p.m.)
October 27 – at Duke Fall Play Day (8 a.m.)
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Boston College Fall Schedule...

The Boston College lacrosse team has announced the 2018 Fall Ball schedule. They will play over five weekends during the fall season, split with an Oct. 12-13 Alumni Event where the 2018 team will be celebrated on-field during the BC football game vs. Louisville.

The fall season begins with the Beanpot Tournament at Harvard on September 30. The Eagles then travel to Maryland on Oct. 6 and to Johns Hopkins on Oct. 7 where they will also face off with James Madison for an NCAA Championship rematch. The team returns home for an Oct. 27 match vs. Northwestern under the lights on Alumni Stadium. The final play day of the fall season will be Oct. 28, where the Eagles will take on Syracuse, Dartmouth, and Northwestern at Cohasset High School.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

A little more clarity on the Duke Play Day 10/27...

Duke Fall Invitational – Davidson, Duke, East Carolina, Elon, High Point, Jacksonville, Longwood, Richmond
2Pontificate

Post by 2Pontificate »

Had the pleasure of dropping by US Lacrosse today to watch some of the Team USA v. JMU today. There was a great crowd and when I left midway through the third quarter it was a close game. I was very impressed with JMU.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Sweet Jesus; 2P, you made it over the border.

I have to say I watched the first half of the Team USA v. JMU game and thought JMU looked tough as nails.
DMac

Post by DMac »

If anyone's later to the party than I am, here's the game for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSrcdkh4ORM

Couple of questions:
1. They played this game with no possession clock?
Not suggesting it was needed, just wondering why.
2. If you play an extra period, does that make it five quarters?

Edit: See now, was played under international rules.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Not a whole lot to report but did hear the Spiders played well at the William & Mary playday. They had convincing wins vs. ODU, W&M, and conference rival VCU. One note... heard the VCU defense was off the charts aggressive. VCU took an early 2-0 lead but the Spiders adjusted and took care of business in the end. They will meet up again at the George Mason playday later in the month... will be a fun one to watch. This could become quite the rivalry as the VCU ramps up its program.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote:Not a whole lot to report but did hear the Spiders played well at the William & Mary playday. They had convincing wins vs. ODU, W&M, and conference rival VCU. One note... heard the VCU defense was off the charts aggressive. VCU took an early 2-0 lead but the Spiders adjusted and took care of business in the end. They will meet up again at the George Mason playday later in the month... will be a fun one to watch. This could become quite the rivalry as the VCU ramps up its program.
Watched some of the ODU playday a few weeks ago. Loyola was the dominant team. VCU definitely played the Hounds better than ODU. Longwood played ODU to a one goal game (I think). Watch out for VCU in the future.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself.....

Anyway, went to Loyola last weekend. Before I state anything, I KNOW IT IS FALL BALL AND IT DOESN'T MATTER........OK, UNC on Saturday, Hounds played the Heels tight leading at halftime but ultimately losing by 2. Sunday had Loyola, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Denver and Louisville playing a (1) full game, (2) 25 minute mini-games format. First game of the day was awesome. Hounds and Terps in a full game. Midway through first half it was tied at 5-5, but the half ended with Terps up 10-5. I didn't catch the second half score, but daughter thought it ended either in a tie or the Terps by 1....either way, IT IS FALL BALL AND IT DOESN'T MATTER. Didn't catch all the games, as they played on two different fields, so my report is centered on the Hounds. Hounds' second game (mini) was against the Big Blue. Big in that they had like 40 girls on the sideline. After talking with a parent, I learned that the incoming (2nd year?) UM coach honored the previous coaching administrations players (and I assume scholarships). Kudos to Hannah N! So there were a lot of players to try to get in a 25 minute game. Anyway, the Wolverines took it to the Hounds, winning by at least 2. Last game of the day (that I saw) was Loyola and U Penn. Loyola came out and put up 3 quickly on the Quakers...but, Penn came back. Lots of love to Northern Virginia Penn players Z.Belodeau and L. Crawford as they contributed 4 goals by my count. Hounds had a NOVA girl score as well, E.Kluegel. I think it ended in a tie or with U. Penn leading by one. But I remember - IT IS FALL BALL AND IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Anyway, slightly colder/wetter than the Weather guesser thought, but no major injuries, so a Good day!

Loyola welcomes Florida this Saturday and Duke on Sunday.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Doc, thanks for this update. Much appreciated. Any sign of Erica Evans for the Terps??
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote:Doc, thanks for this update. Much appreciated. Any sign of Erica Evans for the Terps??
I was too far up in the stands to see the numbers clearly, but there was a MD. player with a red knee brace in the Loyola game. Will check with D...
Batman

Post by Batman »

Thank you for the update Dr. T. I know it is fall ball but it is fun to hear about all the teams.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Florida came to Ridley today to take on the Hounds. Hounds a little sloppy in the first half, would create a defensive stop, then turn it over, right back to the Gators. Gators let by 2 or 3 at the half. Hounds came back in the second and led at the end by 4-ish. ...Its Fall Ball and it doesn't matter.

By far a more physical game than any other Fall Ball game I have seen the Hounds play this year (UNC, UMD, Mich, Penn). Had to be 4 or 5 YC.

Tomorrow the Hounds welcome the Blue Devils.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Last Fall Ball game in the books for the Hounds.

Duke came on Sunday and boy, what a weird game.

Loyola came out and ran up a 9-1 lead in the first half before C. North got 1 or 2 to bring it to 9-3 at halftime.

The field must have been tipped to the South side as the heavy wind was definitely coming from the North end of the Stadium. I mention it, because, the Blue Devils scorched the Hounds in the Second - scoring in the same end as the Hounds in the first half. After being down by 6, they stormed back to a 3+ goal win. I'll repeat my mantra Its Fall Ball and it doesn't matter !

Anyway, the Hounds found out it is hard to score when you have the Jenner sisters winning every draw....Size does matter.

No serious injuries this Fall, good luck to all that are still playing and see you in 4 months (maybe we will have a few more contributors, and then TOPTM.) grommit1
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Dr Tact,

Hopefully the Hounds wore them down! The Richmond Spiders face the Blue Devils this Saturday @ the Duke play day. They also take on HPU and ECU. The Spiders had mixed results at George Mason this past weekend. They went 2-1 with wins vs. George Washington and Longwood and a tough loss to VCU. Sloppy play all around and probably deserved to lose vs the Rams. That being said, the aggressive nature of the VCU Wlax team will wreak havoc on the A10 this coming year. Either way, its just FALL BALL!!! Was great to see new and veteran players getting their fair share of playing time... I guess that the point of fall ball! SLF
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote:Dr Tact,

Hopefully the Hounds wore them down! The Richmond Spiders face the Blue Devils this Saturday @ the Duke play day. ... Either way, its just FALL BALL!!! .
Ah the "its FALL BALL and it doesnt matter, " is collecting converts. Gonna get a trademark.....

How to beat Duke...from what I saw:
  • * - man up on Charlotte North - doesnt have to be a full face guard, but should be your best defender on her as much as possible. Her game relies heavily on quick rolls from crease and that first step. Important to get a slide double, if possible.
    * - create havoc for the Jenner's. DONT try to beat them at the draw with your typical pull/push. Determine (guess?) what they want to do and then help them. This will make the self-draw that much harder as it will go further than they expect.
    * - Talk up 3-seconds with the Refs. Duke used alot of zone and certain players would be hanging out for 7-8 seconds....then bury the FP from the 8.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”