Princeton at Penn Stare

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Princeton at Penn Stare

Post by molo »

Princeton looked unstoppable against a porous Yale d. Penn State is coming off a tough loss to a Michigan team that is peaking at the right time. This game could be close but I expect the home team to advance.
Wheels

Re: Princeton at Penn Stare

Post by Wheels »

To me, one of the under-told stories of B1G lacrosse this season was PSU's improvement on defense. The injuries ravaged their offense over the past 2 years, so it wasn't surprising to see them play well on offense with healthy players. But the defense is really different under the new DC than it was. They don't press out. They're really compact and connected. They're not especially quick to slide, but when they do, they bring it. It's the defense that UMBC as played over the past several years. Very solid.

If PSU is winning face-offs, they're going to be tough to beat.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Princeton is loaded with talent. On a good day, they have a chance to beat any team in NCAA lacrosse. The challenge for the Tigers has been consistency. This is the closest game in the NCAA first round as predicted by Massey. Penn State, also a great team, has itself had a few consistency issues during this season. While I suppose that PSU should be the favorite, I'd pick this game (along with Cornell vs Michigan) where there is a chance of an "upset".
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

PSU's always so tough to beat at Panzer, especially at night. Both teams will be happy not facing a team that is dominant at the face-off dot. Princeton's strength defensively is their defensive midfield more so than their close d, and Penn State doesn't have the elite attackers who can really exploit their poles so that could be can an advantage for them. If Gianforcaro is locked in, I could see them holding PSU to a total they'll feel gives them a good chance to win. But on the flip side, Princeton's offensive success has usually been dependent on whether Mackesey has a huge game. With English out and Slusher having lots of injuries and not being who he was last year, plus Ronda banged up now as well, it really all revolves around him. He has become the QB of the offense. When he has huge games, they can score 15-16. But when he's held in check like against Cornell and Penn, lower scoring game. Jack Posey is going to be a tough matchup for him to win. Throw in how well Fracyon has been playing and I think you get a low scoring game.

I'll say it comes down to the start. Penn State can get on really, really hot shooting streaks where they score 5 of their first 7 shots or 6 of 8 and Fracyon is dialed in and the two teams have had even possessions or are playing level but it's 5-0 Nits. I don't think you're coming back on this PSU D at Panzer if you get behind.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ok, I need to ask … Penn “Stare?”

As in, we are … Penn Stare!

Really?

This is almost as bad as John’s Hopkins.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Princeton slapped around Yale twice this season. And showed up big to win the Ivy. But, OOC they aren’t to hot. Physically a little small. Penn St by 4-5 goals
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:16 am Princeton slapped around Yale twice this season. And showed up big to win the Ivy. But, OOC they aren’t to hot. Physically a little small. Penn St by 4-5 goals
All fair points. One thing to note is that for most (although not all) of the out of conference games Princeton was still platooning their goalies. In Princeton's one-goal loss to Rutgers in mid-March, for example, their first half goalie gave up 9 goals and had a 36% save percentage; when Gianforcaro (current full-game starter) came in, he gave up 5 goals, made 10 saves and had a 67% save percentage. He has a 62% save percentage as the full-time starter.

Princeton is most vulnerable in games when there's a big face-off disparity; in Syracuse's convincing win (in which Gianforcaro played the full game and had a save percentage slightly under 50%), 'Cuse got two-thirds of the face-offs. The face-off vulnerability didn't really hurt the Princeton in the Ivy League, in which only Brown had really consistent strength at the X all year, but, as another poster noted, it might be a reason why the matchup against a Penn State team that hasn't been dominant at the X is a good one for Princeton.

Penn State is a quality team that went 3-0 against the Ivy League in February and March, but now that we're in May I'll pick Tigers over Nittany Lions by 1.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I believe people underestimate how physical that Princeton D is,
last I checked the roster, they’re all of good size.
head73

Post by head73 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:56 am Ok, I need to ask … Penn “Stare?”

As in, we are … Penn Stare!

Really?

This is almost as bad as John’s Hopkins.

DocBarrister :P
You'd prefer John Hopkins?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:50 pm I believe people underestimate how physical that Princeton D is,
last I checked the roster, they’re all of good size.
:D someone pays attention
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
10stone5

Re: Princeton at Penn State

Post by 10stone5 »

Some real milestones for Penn State this year.
Jack Fracyon, Matt Traynor, Grant Haus, TJ Malone, Jack Posey all made All American.
No name defense though Posey and Haus getting all american gets them some recognition.
Really, they only missed the past two NCAAs, but the big thing was Tambroni instilling a winning attitude turnaround.
They may still surprise this year,
and they’ve got a super class coming in next year.
I think they’re a year early.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I think Penn State's set up better for the long haul than they were even during the Ament years when they were sort of just riding the wave of him and O'Keefe and if some of their 5th years use their extra year + Lehman is as advertised they should be in the Top 5-8 again easily next year, but they've lost two First Round home games without Ament under Tambs before. I think it'd be more important to get over that hump and be able to finally win one without him and get to at least a Quarterfinal. As amazing as this years been, especially so unexpectedly, there will be some feeling of it being similar to 2013 and 2017 with them losing a home game as the favorite. You really gotta cash in those opportunities when you get them to at least get to Quarterfinals. Final Fours are so hard to make, the only way you make them unless you're Maryland p much is give yourself as many cracks as you can. There are also a lot of benefits to gaining that tournament experience and making a run ahead of schedule. Think you saw that with Virginia in 2019, using it again in 2021.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

From 5-1 down PSU

9-9 nearing end of Q3.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Momentum with Penn State. Tie game. Princeton needs to turn the tide, but PSU keeps winning face-offs.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:05 pm From 5-1 down PSU

9-9 nearing end of Q3.
A theme this weekend.
Terps down a bunch and chip away - loss
GU down a bunch and chip away - win
Duke Down a bunch and chip away - win
PSU down a bunch and chip away - TBD.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:08 pm Momentum with Penn State. Tie game. Princeton needs to turn the tide, but PSU keeps winning face-offs.
Zone is problematic.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Princeton finding ways now, maybe has snatched the momentum.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:34 pm Princeton finding ways now, maybe has snatched the momentum.
2 bad turnovers.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ivies lose three close ones. Ivy done. Dag nabbit.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Holy moly.....did we get our money's worth this weekend, or what?

These kids left it all on the field. I love our sport.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”