VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HooDat

VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by HooDat »

Virginia Lacrosse > 2019 Virginia Lacrosse

Let's get this started.

What things will the coaches implement to accommodate the shot clock this year?

I think we will see even more LSM off to the side and let the offense play 5v5.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HowieT3

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by HowieT3 »

HooDat wrote:Let's get this started.

The only "bad" thing about that idea is that the other team can try to get an "offense-first or only" player to cover the LSM so he doesn't lose his man.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HowieT3 wrote:

The only "bad" thing about that idea is that the other team can try to get an "offense-first or only" player to cover the LSM so he doesn't lose his man.
I think practices start next week. Lars commented in his newsletter that even with open tryouts, it will be difficult for a non scholarship player to make the team. With so much of the lineup returning including injured players who redshirted plus arguably the top incoming class, there will be a lot more competition within all the position battles.
dense

Post by dense »

blue angels wrote:
HowieT3 wrote:

I think practices start next week. Lars commented in his newsletter that even with open tryouts, it will be difficult for a non scholarship player to make the team. With so much of the lineup returning including injured players who redshirted plus arguably the top incoming class, there will be a lot more competition within all the position battles.
Believe only 6 seniors graduated with 11 recruits coming in but UVA roster was only 41 so perhaps room for a standout at walk on tryouts
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Which in and of itself, goes to show how far the team has already progressed, compared to the past few years when there were walk-ons making the team over recruited players. Bodes well.

blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HooDat wrote:Which in and of itself, goes to show how far the team has already progressed, compared to the past few years when there were walk-ons making the team over recruited players. Bodes well.
Yep..... Need to improve on a lot of things but improved goalie passing and decisionmaking and reduce unforced turnovers (i.E. Need improved stick work throughout the team.)
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

2 schedule dates from opponents’ sites - UVa @ Princeton 2/23; Utah @ UVa 3/31.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
laxmaven

Post by laxmaven »

Try getting the players to respect the coach.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

:lol: :roll:

MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Is there an inside story on this you might share with us?

I thought Coach Tiffany and his assistants were popular with the team; at least as compared with the two Starsias.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MrLax2U wrote:

I thought Coach Tiffany and his assistants were popular with the team; at least as compared with the two Starsias.
If I had to speculate or guess....Lars' style of coaching is very difficult to do b/c it is challenging to measure/critique a players progress when they are given just enough rope to hang themselves. As a coach, you often find yourself in a predicament, and how he communicates to each player after their errors or decision making can put stress on the situation, especially if it is different between players. I find his comment about walk-ons quite unsettling....WTH does that comment even mean? Is it a pride thing that a walk-on could be better than one of his recruited players and he can't go there? There clearly cannot be 41+ kids on lax scholarship unless they are each getting 3% of the 12.6.

I love their style of play, have also coached it this way for years. Good luck, sure wish Ryan Lamb was out there more often, kid reminded me of a mix of Ryan Conrad and Pat Spencer all through youth and HS....even on the football field.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
NJLax80

Post by NJLax80 »

youthathletics wrote:
MrLax2U wrote:

If I had to speculate or guess....Lars' style of coaching is very difficult to do b/c it is challenging to measure/critique a players progress when they are given just enough rope to hang themselves. As a coach, you often find yourself in a predicament, and how he communicates to each player after their errors or decision making can put stress on the situation, especially if it is different between players. I find his comment about walk-ons quite unsettling....WTH does that comment even mean? Is it a pride thing that a walk-on could be better than one of his recruited players and he can't go there? There clearly cannot be 41+ kids on lax scholarship unless they are each getting 3% of the 12.6.

I love their style of play, have also coached it this way for years. Good luck, sure wish Ryan Lamb was out there more often, kid reminded me of a mix of Ryan Conrad and Pat Spencer all through youth and HS....even on the football field.

For clarity, as the 3% figure referenced above, may likely be a typo. But scholarship lax players typically receive 25-35% of a full scholarship. Therefore, 12.6 full scholarships can fulfill 41 players, if each receives 31% of a full ride.
laxmaven

Post by laxmaven »

That would not be the prevailing sentiment if you checked around.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MrLax2U wrote:

I am guessing any "story" around this theme is ultimately going to be traceable to someone who was "favored" under the old regime, and is not getting the same accolades under the new regime. That or it is someone who is balking at the heightened expectations from the new staff. Everything I hear and saw from very, very afar is that coach Tiffany is a great coach to play for - engaged, energetic, focused, communicative, competitive.

blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HooDat wrote:
MrLax2U wrote:

I am guessing any "story" around this theme is ultimately going to be traceable to someone who was "favored" under the old regime, and is not getting the same accolades under the new regime. That or it is someone who is balking at the heightened expectations from the new staff. Everything I hear and saw from very, very afar is that coach Tiffany is a great coach to play for - engaged, energetic, focused, communicative, competitive.
What story? Until and unless someone presents some actual facts about something, it looks like the same old drive by negative vague cheap shot at Virginia from a non Virginia fan that was routinely posted on our Laxpower thread. Ps, we cant wait to play your team again this year.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

HooDat wrote:
MrLax2U wrote:

"Very very afar " - anyone around on the board a little closer to the situation ? I'd like to hear some facts here.
laxmaven

Post by laxmaven »

blue angels wrote:
HooDat wrote:
MrLax2U wrote:

What story? Until and unless someone presents some actual facts about something, it looks like the same old drive by negative vague cheap shot at Virginia from a non Virginia fan that was routinely posted on our Laxpower thread. Ps, we cant wait to play your team again this year.

9-7 then 17-7. Where was that big offense ? See you in the spring.
dense

Post by dense »

Sexton totaled 16 gbs and 7 ct's in those two meetings. ND has plethora of good d players but that lsm will be hard to replace
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

laxmaven wrote:
blue angels wrote:
HooDat wrote:
MrLax2U wrote:

9-7 then 17-7. Where was that big offense ? See you in the spring.
Thank you for your observations, Coach Corrigan. Please don’t feel obligated to hurry back.

I guess the Virginia thread is considered the board Mos Eisley cantina wherever it is.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I was asked about my impressions of recruit Dan Parker of St.Anthony's H.S. on Long Island. He was cleared to play FB, Thursday. Friday night, he made a bunch of catches as St. A's beat N.J. Powerhouse Delbarton. The kid has quick feet, ran good routes and has soft hands. I don't remember him as an impact lacrosse player. But It's pretty clear he's a good athlete.

Any scuttlebutt on LaSalla?

Love to hear comments about Fall Ball. Thanks in advance.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”