Bill Tierney Retiring After The 2023 Season!

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Bill Tierney Retiring After The 2023 Season!

Post by gymman1031 »

Thought I would post a separate thread due to him being the finest coach the game has ever had.
PizzaSnake

Re: Bill Tierney Retiring After The 2023 Season!

Post by PizzaSnake »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:59 pm Thought I would post a separate thread due to him being the finest coach the game has ever had.
Maybe, but definitely well past his expiry date.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
molo

Post by molo »

I guess my post should go here.
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

I’ll predict Seth Tierney takes that job when he leaves
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Those noises you hear are refs popping corks nationwide.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Bill Tierney was D3 Coach of the Year in 1983, and he really put the RIT program on the map. I'm glad that this March he'll be back in New Haven, where I watched his Tigers face off against Yale when Shay was just starting off his head coaching career. Time flies. After 40 years, a long successful career, Tieney has certainly earned his retirement.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Curious if there are any Princeton defenders on the board. I often heard rumored that his defensive slide prep was among some of the most intense ever at the college level when he was at Princeton. That he was meticulous (borderline obsessive) about drilling every potential slide angle/style. Heard they drilled crease/adjacent/nearman/combo from every approach angle on the field, almost every day. Any truth to this?
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

from the IL thing sounds like he's looking to write a few books. a bio and others on coaching.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I suspect I feel about Bill Tierney akin to the way many feel about Bill Belichick: I absolutely recognize Bill Tierney as a legend/pioneer/the greatest all-time lacrosse coach but never cared for him because of what I felt was over-the-line behavior (in Tierney's case, intimidation of officials). But certainly at retirement the undoubted greatness and lasting impact are what should rightly be emphasized.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

how old is he?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Bill deserves all the accolades he receives. He is a nice man off the field. On the field i don’t see his behavior as any worse than many other great coaches. They all in their own way try to influence the officials. Some are more demonstrative than others. I can think of one HOFer who would run 10-15 yards onto the field. I never saw a penalty called.

I once asked him whether he had recruited X. He said no bcs he did not want to deal with the father. The player was instrumental in winning a title at another school. I know kids who played for him and have friends whose sons played for him. They all remained close to his programs.
henryben

Post by henryben »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:25 pm Bill deserves all the accolades he receives. He is a nice man off the field. On the field i don’t see his behavior as any worse than many other great coaches. They all in their own way try to influence the officials. Some are more demonstrative than others. I can think of one HOFer who would run 10-15 yards onto the field. I never saw a penalty called.

I once asked him whether he had recruited X. He said no bcs he did not want to deal with the father. The player was instrumental in winning a title at another school. I know kids who played for him and have friends whose sons played for him. They all remained close to his programs.
Wow, would I love to know who this player was!

I think some parents would be shocked to know how much their own behavior can impact their kids' prospects with certain coaches.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

No doubt in my mind you are right.

I don’t want to mention who given it would ID
the family
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Forget the wins & losses, the sideline demeanor served as the requisite game day coaching model for too many coaches. Good riddance!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

He is far from the original model for sideline behavior by decades and is not unique even now. I understand coaches develop antipathy by nature of their job
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Some of you actually take your free time to come on here and try to bash Bill Tierney's credibility as a coach because of his sideline behavior with the refs?? Unbelievable.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

courtdog wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:42 pm Some of you actually take your free time to come on here and try to bash Bill Tierney's credibility as a coach because of his sideline behavior with the refs?? Unbelievable.
There isn't one post here bashing his credibility as a coach
DMac

Post by DMac »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:55 pm
courtdog wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:42 pm Some of you actually take your free time to come on here and try to bash Bill Tierney's credibility as a coach because of his sideline behavior with the refs?? Unbelievable.
There isn't one post here bashing his credibility as a coach
Nope, not one. What is mentioned is his absolutely disgusting and disrespectful sideline behavior though. Those comments are warranted, he's done a lot to earn the reputation of being a monster aszwhole on the sidelines.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Court, I appreciate your desire to be nothing but positive when it comes to talking about coaches. On this and other threads. There needs to be more of that in today's world.

At this point, no one is bashing him as a coach. Tierney is undoubtedly a HOF coach for his accomplishments, which I think everyone agrees. His sideline behavior has been discussed quite in depth here. That doesn't limit his credibility. But it is part of the big picture of him as a coach, and one of the first things some people think of when they hear his name.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”