Providence 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dux917

Providence 2023

Post by Dux917 »

With Benson to be the next head coach (still waiting on the School's official announcement/press conference) - time for Friar lacrosse to move forward.

First steps for Benson, will be too name a staff. Not sure if he'll keep anyone from the current staff for continuity sake (don't really thinks so), with the new staff does he hire someone with more New England/Northeast background, etc. - as Benson has spent his career in the Maryland/DC area.

Benson's reputation as an offensive mind is well known - I haven't heard much about his recruiting abilities, but have to assume with all his years at JHU and Maryland, he'll recruit at high level. He'll need to hit the ground running, once he steps on campus. The 2022 PC incoming class is pretty locked in with National Letters of Intent, but the 2023 group of verbal commits will need to be reached out too quickly to keep them in the fold. There are a few 2023 recruits who seem highly regarded. Also, current players will need to be "recruited" again to stay (expect most to be excited about this hire, and stay.) I'm sure Benson's reputation will attract some transfers already in the portal too.

Right now this appears to be a great hire, a lot of excitement around the program with this. Look forward to the official press release, etc.
gymman1031

Re: Providence 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

That stadium they play in is one of the best in the game. If Benson proves to be a good recruiter, they could get some fine talent.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

It really is a nice stadium. I checked wikipedia, which says 3k capacity. I would not have thought that many, it 'feels' smaller.
Fun fact: thru 2019 games were free (at least non-league games). A counterintuitive about free attendance: charging a small fee for 'non-demand' sporting events generally increases attendance by creating "the illusion of value" compared to free events. Humans: if it's free it can't be worthwhile ;) .

Funner fact: the worst behaved ADULT lacrosse crowd I was ever a part of- and I've been in crowds of fans from Long Island- was a long-ago MAAC game, Siena at PC. Physical game, and the F-bombs (and worse!) between the parents, and a couple scuffles, were really surprising. As a (lapsed) Catholic, I was proud.
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Official press release from the school. Some nice quotes at the bottom from people in the lacrosse world

https://friars.com/news/2022/6/15/bobby ... ogram.aspx

I'm sure one thing that helped both sides in making this happen was his wife's connection to the school. Benson has been commuting back-and-forth from his job in Maryland to Atlanta where his wife has a big job. Lots of people do this type of commute/living - but I think the time needed at the head coaching level would make this arrangement hard. Would think his wife's relationship to PC and the fact that Blackrock (where she works) has a big office in Boston, and maybe a job transfer could be worked out (a lot of people do the daily commute from the Providence area to Boston) Made this all come together for it being the right job for everyone.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Dux917 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 am Official press release from the school. Some nice quotes at the bottom from people in the lacrosse world

I'm sure one thing that helped both sides in making this happen was his wife's connection to the school. Benson has been commuting back-and-forth from his job in Maryland to Atlanta where his wife has a big job. Lots of people do this type of commute/living - but I think the time needed at the head coaching level would make this arrangement hard. Would think his wife's relationship to PC and the fact that Blackrock (where she works) has a big office in Boston, and maybe a job transfer could be worked out (a lot of people do the daily commute from the Providence area to Boston) Made this all come together for it being the right job for everyone.
Nice press release, but they need to work on their spelling:

Bobby has reached the pinnacle of the sport, winning national titles at John's Hopkins and Maryland.

:lol:

Best wishes to Coach Benson, his family, and the Providence College lacrosse program.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
HGK

Post by HGK »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:28 pm
Dux917 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 am Official press release from the school. Some nice quotes at the bottom from people in the lacrosse world

Nice press release, but they need to work on their spelling:

Bobby has reached the pinnacle of the sport, winning national titles at John's Hopkins and Maryland.

:lol:

Best wishes to Coach Benson, his family, and the Providence College lacrosse program.

DocBarrister ;)
Punctuation or spelling? Either way great hire for Providence and BE lacrosse.
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Putting that staff together - Casey Broderson will move a few miles over from Bryant to PC to join Benson's staff.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 5288001537
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Dux917 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:11 pm Putting that staff together - Casey Broderson will move a few miles over from Bryant to PC to join Benson's staff.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 5288001537
Solid DC hire! :)

I wonder if Benson had to make any promises of taking Broderson along with him in a couple of years when he takes the Homewood job.

Oh, wait … never mind. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

With new staff coming together, time to start recruiting - or re-recruiting currently committed players. 2022 class is pretty locked in with signing letter of intents, and would have to ask to be released from commitment. 2023 class has some pretty good players with verbal's, they are the ones that need to be re-recruited. New staff I'm sure will also reevaluate recruits to, to see if they fit with the new style and direction of program.

2022 recruits
Tyler Flynn Midfield Ward Melville (N.Y.)
Richie Joseph Attack Longmeadow (Mass.)
Eric Webb Defense Westfield (N.J.)
Justin Bordner Faceoff Trinity (Pa.)
Owen Finetto. Midfield. St. Joseph (NJ)
Thomas Sarni Attack St John’s Prep (Mass.)
Harrison Sweeney Midfield Conard (Conn)
Ian Olenik. LSM The Governors Academy (Mass.)
Henry Rayner Midfield Mamaroneck (N.Y.)
Eddie Perry Goalie IMG Academy (Fla.)
Cullen Mulhern Midfield Canterbury School (Conn.)
Dean Metzger Midfield H Frank Carey (N.Y.)
Jackson Coutu Midfield Deerfield (Mass.)
Frankie Carroll LSM Ward Melville (N.Y.)

2023 recruits
Matthew Trimmer LSM Greenwich (Conn.)
Christopher Harland LSM Avon Old Farms (Conn.)
Ellis McDonald Defense Avon Old Farms (Conn.)
Spencer Liston Faceoff Wilton (Conn.)
Leo Sequenzia Midfield. Staples (Conn)
Kevin Devine Goalie North Rockland (N.Y.)
Colin Gols. Attack St. Anthonys (NY)
Kyle Basco Midfield. Calvert Hall (Md)
Joey Forchelli Attack MacArthur (N.Y.)
Michael Spaziano Defense West Morris Central (N.J.)
Rhett Chambers Attack Mamaroneck (N.Y.)
Patrick Walsh Attack Avon Old Farms (Conn.)
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Good article from a local paper on Benson coming to PC.

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/sports/ ... a2ab1.html
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Noticed that Providence hasn’t updated its coaches webpage yet.

Anyway, will be interested in hearing whether Coach Benson has met with any of the team in person yet.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Interesting interview with Coach Benson on @laxsportsnet.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:27 pm Interesting interview with Coach Benson on @laxsportsnet.

DocBarrister
Yes, it is a good (video) interview - why he's so excited about this job, his style of offense, how basketball has influenced his offensive sets, etc. His interview starts around the 36.00min part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=red6o2bWUVc
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

So … who on this forum is a Providence alumnus and/or fan?

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:48 am So … who on this forum is a Providence alumnus and/or fan?

Both. Looking forward to next season!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Dux917 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:48 am So … who on this forum is a Providence alumnus and/or fan?

Both. Looking forward to next season!
That’s one alumnus and two fans (including me)!

Anyone else?!?

@DocBarrister
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

I'm a fan, since they are local, but as as you can see from my logo, not always.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DALaxDad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:53 pm I'm a fan, since they are local, but as as you can see from my logo, not always.
Ok, I will count you as a 0.75 fan.

So, one alumnus and 2.75 fans!

@DocBarrister
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Second assistant for the new staff - Carroll Kennedy. Was a volunteer assistant with Benson on the Maryland staff. More of a background with the defense, will be interesting to see which of the assistants help with the offense - though Benson would seem to be heavily involved with that group, and have that covered...

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... 7295913984

https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... nnedy/2114
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Dux917 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 pm Second assistant for the new staff - Carroll Kennedy. Was a volunteer assistant with Benson on the Maryland staff. More of a background with the defense, will be interesting to see which of the assistants help with the offense - though Benson would seem to be heavily involved with that group, and have that covered...

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... 7295913984

https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... nnedy/2114
Sounds like a terrific hire. Congratulations, Coach Kennedy!

@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”