UVA at UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

UVA at UNC

Post by molo »

Too bad the unseasonably warm weather will have left by Thursday night, but the chance of rain in Chapel Hill is only 30%, and the temperature should be cool but not cold. With no word yet on his condition, I am going to assume that Saustad will miss this one. Kastner has been drawing the opponent's top attackman. He has a foot on Gray, but no one has been able to slow down the best attackman that UVA will face this year although their defensemen do have to deal with some pretty good ones in practice. I guess Solomon draws Matsui and Kelly gets Saustad or his replacement.
Tucci has had some big games, some not so big. LaSalla is faces off well and can stay on the field and play offense like a regular middie, not a FOGO. Carolina has an excellent rope unit. Maher and Wright are among the best at their positions, and Breschi's nephew has emerged as an exceptional second ssdm. Hopkins tried to cover Schutz with a shortstick. He beat his man twice early but didn't can his shots, and finished with two assists when the second slide came too late after he got past the short. I don't expect Carolina to make the same mistake.
For the most part, Krieg has looked like a goalie that has caused some good teammates to transfer. Hung out to dry against the Bucks, he didn't look quite like the goalie that Q worships.
As good as UNC's rope unit looks, the inexperienced close d is vulnerable. Everyone is aware of how good Shellenberger is, but what should concern UNC's close d is that his running mates are the likely all time leading scorer at UVA and a conservatively listed 230 lefty who just scored six goals with the ball in his stick for maybe a minute.
Gray is so good that UNC should be able to hang with anyone--the OSU game being the exception that proves the rule--but UNC will need to generate some midfield scoring against a deep rope unit.
Depth has been a hallmark of UVA this year. If Saustad can't, they will be down two of the poles projected to start this year. If Conner is still out, they will be missing one of their two way middies. With the exception of the High Point game, they have not been tested this year. Carolina, the best team on their schedule so far, is capable of pulling the upset. This should be UVA's biggest challenge since High Point.
HooDat

Re: UVA at UNC

Post by HooDat »

great lead in.

This should be an awesome game between what I think will be two final four teams.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Will they,
both ?

The Ivies and Georgetown have looked formidable so far.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

With Saustad out, UNC should be able to score. Don't think their midfield can do much against UVA's shorties but getting better match-ups for Kelly and Solomon in addition to Gray will help

I just can't see them being able to guard UVA at all. They don't have the horses for that. UVA gets to 17-18 I'd suspect.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:20 pm Will they,
both ?

If I had to predict a final four right now, it would include:
- UMD
- UVA
- 2 of the following (in order): UNC, Georgetown, Cornell, ND, Penn

blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HooDat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:02 am
both ?

- UMD
- UVA
Virginia and Maryland look a cut above in their initial games but Way too early to predict.......Virginia has only played 1 conference game against the perceived weakest member and suspect Maryland is similar in that regard. We will know more in a few weeks. In addition to UNC and Virginia, I wouldn't yet rule out Duke and Notre Dame getting it together for a Tourney run because both teams have the respective talent to be there at the end. same with the top Ivies. I am less sure of everyone else.
lorin

Post by lorin »

HooDat wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:06 pm great lead in.

This should be an awesome game between what I think will be two final four teams.
Please tell me why would you think UNC is a final 4 team besides them being a ACC team?
Team Rankings
FO % 28TH
Defense 42nd
Man up 35Th
Scoring Offense 20th
Man down not in top 50
Points per game 13th
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

blue angels wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:50 am
HooDat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:02 am
both ?

- UMD
- UVA
Virginia and Maryland look a cut above in their initial games but Way too early to predict.......Virginia has only played 1 conference game against the perceived weakest member and suspect Maryland is similar in that regard. We will know more in a few weeks. In addition to UNC and Virginia, I wouldn't yet rule out Duke and Notre Dame getting it together for a Tourney run because both teams have the respective talent to be there at the end. same with the top Ivies. I am less sure of everyone else.
The Ivies will be hard to figure until they play more games after the long spell of sitting on the sidelines. Princeton looked like the more athletic team the last time they played UVa. Hard to imagine that's still the case, but who knows.

You're right that it's too early to rule anyone out. UNC has plenty of time to improve the defensive issues that were especially prevalent against OSU. I'd expect UVa will carry the day, but perhaps the (likely) Saustad absence will open the door enough for the upset.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

lorin wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:37 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:06 pm great lead in.

Please tell me why would you think UNC is a final 4 team besides them being a ACC team?
Team Rankings
FO % 28TH
Defense 42nd
Man up 35Th
Scoring Offense 20th
Man down not in top 50
Points per game 13th
Right now it is two words: chris, gray.

Also, as I look at the lone loss to Ohio State it seems that the buckeyes got the better of the face-off x that day. UVA lost to Cuse twice last year due to that dynamic. Led to possession advantage and shot advantages that were the difference.

RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

This one feels like a pretty bad matchup for the Tar Heels to me. It's strength vs weakness with Virginia attack vs UNC D, could definitely see the Hoo's hanging 20 in this one. LaSalla bested UNC's FO crew twice last year, probably more of the same on Thursday. Outside of Chris Gray, most of the other matchups are a wash or lean in UVA's favor. Wild card may simply be UNC wanting payback for the FF loss.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

RopeUnit wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:11 pm This one feels like a pretty bad matchup for the Tar Heels to me. It's strength vs weakness with Virginia attack vs UNC D, could definitely see the Hoo's hanging 20 in this one. LaSalla bested UNC's FO crew twice last year, probably more of the same on Thursday. Outside of Chris Gray, most of the other matchups are a wash or lean in UVA's favor. Wild card may simply be UNC wanting payback for the FF loss.
2 starting poles, likely out for Virginia. It may become a track meet, depending on who controls the ball.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:23 pm
RopeUnit wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:11 pm This one feels like a pretty bad matchup for the Tar Heels to me. It's strength vs weakness with Virginia attack vs UNC D, could definitely see the Hoo's hanging 20 in this one. LaSalla bested UNC's FO crew twice last year, probably more of the same on Thursday. Outside of Chris Gray, most of the other matchups are a wash or lean in UVA's favor. Wild card may simply be UNC wanting payback for the FF loss.
2 starting poles, likely out for Virginia. It may become a track meet, depending on who controls the ball.
has anything come out on saustad? we usually keep those things close to the vest. so far i thought anything likely one way or the other was conjecture, and all we had was him walking off on his own power and not coming back in a blowout.
molo

Post by molo »

Game notes have Saustad listed as a starter FWIW.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:50 pm Game notes have Saustad listed as a starter FWIW.
I am speculating, but the trainers were working hard on his knee. No idea on severity and I am no doctor, but it did not look good for a quick return to the field. He got tangled up with his own player. Not saying that is the injury, but Having had an ACL tear, one can walk with one. We shall see. Ps. the game notes don't mean much if that is the source as they aren't always current. Hoping It wasn't as serious as it appeared.
Last edited by blue angels on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
molo

Post by molo »

Hence the qualifier. It appears that Conner is still out. Interesting comment about the writer's son. Does that mean there is some o in his future?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Flock,

can’t get into ACCNX app,
looks like the women’s game is going OT,
so maybe 8:30 eastern.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:14 pm Flock,

can’t get into ACCNX app,
looks like the women’s game is going OT,
so maybe 8:30 eastern.
And IL’s live stats is messed up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ESPN broadcast has missed the first 8 goals
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

UVA seems to have trouble catching and throwing, but they sure can work a ground ball.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
rcolter

Post by rcolter »

Slippery field is frustrating me just sitting here

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”