GWOT --> GPC

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

GWOT --> GPC

Post by youthathletics »

With the closing down of GWAT (Global War On Terror) and now the GPC (Great Power Competition). Would this be a topic worth keeping or just lump it in to National Security?

This is a summary from West Point: https://mwi.usma.edu/great-power-competition-anyway/
And another from Foreign Policy: https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/04/01/ch ... -disaster/

Thoughts?
Last edited by youthathletics on Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Re: GWAT --> GPC

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Much going on in the ME and this article is a bit prescient with the Taliban:

Why the US will never leave Afghanistan

"Afghanistan is one of the richest mining regions in the world, holding untapped mineral wealth and rare Earth elements estimated at roughly $3 trillion. Rare Earths are essential to lithium batteries and computer chips that power disruptive technologies, including everything from laptops and mobile devices to GPS systems, precision-guided weapons, drones, satellites, stealth aircraft, and hypersonic weapons. Geopolitical competition over rare Earths will intensify as their geostrategic importance rise exponentially with countries transitioning to high-technology renewable and sustainable innovations like wind turbines, electric vehicles, advanced communications, and next-generation military technologies. "

Contrary to what people like Brooklyn want to believe about Trump....

"It is not surprising that at the same time Trump was seeking to remove U.S. military forces from Afghanistan, he was also speaking about the importance of maintaining U.S. leverage in mineral extraction in Afghanistan back in 2017."
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

"It is not surprising that at the same time Trump was seeking to remove U.S. military forces from Afghanistan, he was also speaking about the importance of maintaining U.S. leverage in mineral extraction in Afghanistan back in 2017."

Small wonder why he negotiated his deal with the Taliban - he saw dollar bills and that's what he was after.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:34 pm

Small wonder why he negotiated his deal with the Taliban - he saw dollar bills and that's what he was after.
:lol: Precious metals are only the hottest and most important element in microchips. I guess next you'll tell us only republicans saw dollar bills over the importance of oil. :roll:
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:52 pm
:lol: Precious metals are only the hottest and most important element in microchips. I guess next you'll tell us only republicans saw dollar bills over the importance of oil. :roll:

Mebbe Biden will negotiate his own deal with the Taliban (?).
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

US raises concern as China flies warplanes south of Taiwan: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us ... np1taskbar

China and India ramping up: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in ... np1taskbar
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

We saw this same "we HAVE to have this stuff" game with oil for decades. Please tell me that we learned from that mistake.

It's simple: find an alternative fo these metals. We always do. We just have to try and not, as we have for 50+ years now, simply use our military to solve every made up "problem".
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:49 am

We saw this same "we HAVE to have this stuff" game with oil for decades. Please tell me that we learned from that mistake.

It's simple: find an alternative fo these metals. We always do. We just have to try and not, as we have for 50+ years now, simply use our military to solve every made up "problem".
That’s the same argument used to contradict peak oil and other jon renewables….
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Did you mean precious metals?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_metal

Or rare earth minerals?

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nmic/rare- ... nformation

Precious metals are typically rare earth but not the other way around and I’m used to precious being defined as ones that are more valued in art and jewelers than industrial uses with aluminum being the one exception.

Don’t you love people getting pedantic on you?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

China Will 'Lose Everything' If It Starts Taiwan War—former Marine Colonel

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ch ... entnewsntp
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:34 am US raises concern as China flies warplanes south of Taiwan: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us ... np1taskbar

China and India ramping up: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in ... np1taskbar
Talk to us when China can actually clear the ball against the USA during an international contest of baggataway...

"war planes" :lol: :lol: .......

How IS general electric doing, with its partnership with billy gates and his epstein island orgy group of oligarchs doing with their CHINA nuke plans?

Did Russia own securities during the 1980's, or were the residents of that country forbidden from Wallstreet, UNLIKE china?

China sucks at lacrosse............and man powered killing machines will no longer be deployed.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Are we playing chicken in this article or just being brtuely honest to let China know they have the upper hand?

US admits Pentagon doesn’t know how to defend against China’s hypersonic missiles

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us ... np1taskbar
~Livy
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 am Are we playing chicken in this article or just being brtuely honest to let China know they have the upper hand?

US admits Pentagon doesn’t know how to defend against China’s hypersonic missiles

Nope; it appears to be a statement to let the global competition know that this sort of destabilizing technology can only be met with the old MAD policy, and that this technology should be foresworn rather than built up. The headline is dumb.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:51 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 am Are we playing chicken in this article or just being brutely honest to let China know they have the upper hand?

Nope; it appears to be a statement to let the global competition know that this sort of destabilizing technology can only be met with the old MAD policy, and that this technology should be foresworn rather than built up. The headline is dumb.
Watching this story play out is quite interesting, as it was foretold, without the ending of course. When I watched Kamala Harris give her commencement speech online at the USNA 2021 Commissioning, back in May, she made it clear that the rules of war were changing and as well as the opponents. As if setting aside the ME chaos and realizing we need our military, more now than ever.

I do not disagree with you on the MAD policy,,,however, changes occur. It is my understanding they are developing, if not already developed....nuc style weaponry that will do similar damage without the radiation fallout. Landing a hypersonic ICBM equivalent missal within 25 miles of target is one helluva an accomplishment.
~Livy
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:26 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:51 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 am Are we playing chicken in this article or just being brutely honest to let China know they have the upper hand?

Watching this story play out is quite interesting, as it was foretold, without the ending of course. When I watched Kamala Harris give her commencement speech online at the USNA 2021 Commissioning, back in May, she made it clear that the rules of war were changing and as well as the opponents. As if setting aside the ME chaos and realizing we need our military, more now than ever.

I do not disagree with you on the MAD policy,,,however, changes occur. It is my understanding they are developing, if not already developed....nuc style weaponry that will do similar damage without the radiation fallout. Landing a hypersonic ICBM equivalent missal within 25 miles of target is one helluva an accomplishment.
And badly destabilizing. I think the administration is just signaling that we can and will develop like weapons and that this is a bad and familiar path for the world to go down, and the PRC is leading us there.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:35 am Worth following...Havana Syndrome

https://wtop.com/government/2021/07/us- ... in-vienna/
State Dept. names new coordinator.....

https://wtop.com/world/2021/11/state-de ... ome-cases/

The cases are known as “Havana Syndrome” dating to a series of reported brain injuries in 2016 at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”