General Chatter
Brooklyn

Olympics 2020 (1)

Post by Brooklyn »

Summer Olympics 2020
begins Friday, July 23, 2021
(in 28 days)
ends Sunday, August 8, 2021

Looking forward to Summer Olympics which should be loads of fun.

First bit of news - transgender athlete will not be allowed to compete:

CeCe Telfer: Transgender woman ruled ineligible to run in US Olympic Trials

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/c ... d=msedgntp

CeCe Telfer, an NCAA Division II track and field champion in 2019, is not allowed to compete in the women's 400-meter hurdles US Olympic Trials because of her eligibility regarding testosterone levels, USA Track and Field said in a statement.

Telfer, a transgender woman, was entered in this week's trials but did not appear on start lists, a USATF spokeswoman told CNN.

Telfer's manager, David McFarland, told CNN in a statement, "The model of grace in the face of adversity, CeCe will respect USA Track & Field's decision on her eligibility to compete at the US Olympic Trials this Friday in Eugene.

"CeCe has turned her focus towards the future and is continuing to train. She will compete on the national -- and world -- stage again soon," McFarland said.

To be eligible for the trials in track and field, athletes must meet the requirements to be a member of the US Olympic Team, USATF said. The requirements for US Olympic teams are in the World Athletics "Eligibility Regulations for Transgender Athletes" guidelines, which Telfer has not met, the organization said.

READ: Breastfeeding Canadian basketball player says she cannot take baby to Olympics

The World Athletics guidelines state that one of the requirements to be eligible to participate in the female category at an international competition in events ranging in distances from 400 meters to a mile is that her testosterone levels must be less than 5 nanomoles per liter for a period of at least 12 months.

"Following notification from World Athletics on June 17 that the conditions had not yet been met, USATF provided CeCe with the eligibility requirements and, along with World Athletics, the opportunity to demonstrate her eligibility so that she could compete at the US Olympic Team Trials - Track & Field," the USATF statement said.

"According to subsequent notification to CeCe from World Athletics on June 22, she has not been able to demonstrate her eligibility.

"USATF strongly supports inclusivity and providing a clear path to participation in the sport for all, while also maintaining competitive fairness. If CeCe meets the conditions for transgender athlete participation in the future, we wholeheartedly back her participation in international events as a member of Team USATF."

Telfer competed for NCAA Division II Franklin Pierce University men's track and field team for three years before medically transitioning. Competing on the women's team as a senior, Telfer won the NCAA title in the women's 400-meter hurdles in 2019.

Unfair! Olympic rules should comply with NCAA rule of inclusion to be fair to all. While IOC does allow transgenders, their hormonal levels must be reduced in order to compete. CeCe did not meet that standard which in fairness should be altered so that the best athletes can compete equally.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Re: Olympics 2020 (1)

Post by Brooklyn »

Local girl makes girls Olympics gymnastics team:

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/minne ... m/6154879/

https://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/ ... isalee.jpg

I've watched South St Paul Packers gymnastics for several years but she has not performed for the team. She has done club level for these past couple of years and will now go to the games. Sadly, her dad suffered a very bad back injury about three months ago but he remains a great inspiration to her.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Black Activist Athlete Gwen Berry Turns Back On Flag During Anthem At Olympic Trials
“The anthem doesn’t speak for me. It never has,” said the hammer thrower, who qualified for the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gwen-ber ... id=2332818

Outspoken Black activist athlete Gwen Berry turned her back on the American flag as the national anthem played at the U.S. Olympic track and field trials this weekend.

Berry, a hammer thrower, also put her T-shirt over her head to protest racism after she was awarded a bronze medal Saturday at the trials in Eugene, Oregon. The shirt read “Activist Athlete.”

Unlike at the Olympics, where the anthem of an athlete’s nation is played when medals are awarded, the anthem at the trials is played only once each evening.

Berry told reporters it seemed like a “set up” that the anthem was played just as she was on the podium, given her well-known views against racism in the country.

“I feel like it was a setup, and they did it on purpose,” Berry said of the timing, according to The Associated Press. She said the anthem was supposed to be played before the athletes walked out, but then was played when they were on the podium. “I was pissed, to be honest.”

“I don’t really want to talk about the anthem because that’s not important,” Berry said. “The anthem doesn’t speak for me. It never has.”

Berry emphasized to reporters that her “purpose and mission” is “bigger than sports. I’m here to represent those ... who died due to systemic racism.”

“What I need to do is speak for my community, to represent my community and to help my community. Because that’s more important than sports,” she added.

A USA Track and Field spokesperson told ESPN that the anthem plays at a set time each day, and “we didn’t wait for the athletes to be on the podium.”

The other two hammer throw winners, first-place winner DeAnna Price and runner-up Brooke Andersen, remained on the podium facing the flag with hands over their hearts.

An overwhelming number of people responding to Berry’s tweets about the incident were positive. Predictably, Fox News and right-wing former Wisconsin GOP Gov. Scott Walker complained about it.

“What is wrong with these people?” Walker asked.

Former chief of the Office of Government Ethics Walter Shaub pointed out to Walker that what’s actually unpatriotic is lying about presidential elections and “inciting insurrections.”

Berry personally responded to Fox News on Twitter.

Berry and American fencer Race Imboden were each given a 12-month probation in 2019 by the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee for protesting against social injustice in the U.S. at the Pan American Games in Lima, Peru, that year. Berry raised her fist during the medal ceremony after winning there.

The USOPC last year publicly and privately apologized to Berry and officials changed the rules to allow protests at domestic events.

Donald Trump has slammed American athletes who take a knee during the anthem to protest racial injustice. He won’t be able to attack Berry from a White House platform now.

In other Olympic trial news, Gabby Thomas became the second-fastest woman ever in the 200 meter race, winning the final in 21.61 seconds. Grant Holloway won the 110-meter hurdles. His 12.81 time in the semifinals was only 0.01 off the world record.

Right wingers should have no trouble with this as they honored Czech gymnast Vera Caslavska when she turned her back during the 1968 in Mexico City. The Czech government was very loyal to the Soviet system and her actions were said to be treasonous. Despite that, American right wingers applauded her on the grounds that everyone has a right to dissent from government. On that basis, they should applaud Gwen Berry with equal fervency. So let's have Petey and other forum right wingers applaud her.

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:29 pm Black Activist Athlete Gwen Berry Turns Back On Flag During Anthem At Olympic Trials
“The anthem doesn’t speak for me. It never has,” said the hammer thrower, who qualified for the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gwen-ber ... id=2332818

Outspoken Black activist athlete Gwen Berry turned her back on the American flag as the national anthem played at the U.S. Olympic track and field trials this weekend.

Berry, a hammer thrower, also put her T-shirt over her head to protest racism after she was awarded a bronze medal Saturday at the trials in Eugene, Oregon. The shirt read “Activist Athlete.”

Unlike at the Olympics, where the anthem of an athlete’s nation is played when medals are awarded, the anthem at the trials is played only once each evening.

Berry told reporters it seemed like a “set up” that the anthem was played just as she was on the podium, given her well-known views against racism in the country.

“I feel like it was a setup, and they did it on purpose,” Berry said of the timing, according to The Associated Press. She said the anthem was supposed to be played before the athletes walked out, but then was played when they were on the podium. “I was ticked, to be honest.”

“I don’t really want to talk about the anthem because that’s not important,” Berry said. “The anthem doesn’t speak for me. It never has.”

Berry emphasized to reporters that her “purpose and mission” is “bigger than sports. I’m here to represent those ... who died due to systemic racism.”

“What I need to do is speak for my community, to represent my community and to help my community. Because that’s more important than sports,” she added.

A USA Track and Field spokesperson told ESPN that the anthem plays at a set time each day, and “we didn’t wait for the athletes to be on the podium.”

The other two hammer throw winners, first-place winner DeAnna Price and runner-up Brooke Andersen, remained on the podium facing the flag with hands over their hearts.

An overwhelming number of people responding to Berry’s tweets about the incident were positive. Predictably, Fox News and right-wing former Wisconsin GOP Gov. Scott Walker complained about it.

“What is wrong with these people?” Walker asked.

Former chief of the Office of Government Ethics Walter Shaub pointed out to Walker that what’s actually unpatriotic is lying about presidential elections and “inciting insurrections.”

Berry personally responded to Fox News on Twitter.

Berry and American fencer Race Imboden were each given a 12-month probation in 2019 by the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee for protesting against social injustice in the U.S. at the Pan American Games in Lima, Peru, that year. Berry raised her fist during the medal ceremony after winning there.

The USOPC last year publicly and privately apologized to Berry and officials changed the rules to allow protests at domestic events.

Donald Trump has slammed American athletes who take a knee during the anthem to protest racial injustice. He won’t be able to attack Berry from a White House platform now.

In other Olympic trial news, Gabby Thomas became the second-fastest woman ever in the 200 meter race, winning the final in 21.61 seconds. Grant Holloway won the 110-meter hurdles. His 12.81 time in the semifinals was only 0.01 off the world record.

Right wingers should have no trouble with this as they honored Czech gymnast Vera Caslavska when she turned her back during the 1968 in Mexico City. The Czech government was very loyal to the Soviet system and her actions were said to be treasonous. Despite that, American right wingers applauded her on the grounds that everyone has a right to dissent from government. On that basis, they should applaud Gwen Berry with equal fervency. So let's have Petey and other forum right wingers applaud her.
Brook,

Stop trying to incite Pete Brown, you can't complain about his trollish behavior and then make posts like this where you are encouraging him to exhibit more of the same behavior. Where I come from, we call that a pot calling the kettle black hypocrite! :lol: :lol:

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 pm
Brook,

Stop trying to incite Pete Brown, you can't complain about his trollish behavior and then make posts like this where you are encouraging him to exhibit more of the same behavior. Where I come from, we call that a pot calling the kettle black hypocrite! :lol: :lol:

Joe

HorseBliiiiip!

Petey is entitled to his opinion no matter how aberrant it may be. And at least he's the one conservative here who is honest enough that I'm smarter than he is and that he actually respects my opinion. So don't get jealous just because he's not afraid of me or my views.

:mrgreen:

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:14 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 pm
Brook,

Joe

HorseBliiiiip!

Petey is entitled to his opinion no matter how aberrant it may be. And at least he's the one conservative here who is honest enough that I'm smarter than he is and that he actually respects my opinion. So don't get jealous just because he's not afraid of me or my views.

:mrgreen:
Cartoon.

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Thanks for your concession that I posted the truth.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:39 pm Thanks for your concession that I posted the truth.
Petey's in the doghouse for awhile. No sense invoking him, IMO.

You made an interesting point as applied to anyone who did applaud the Czech protest getting all worked up because an American, who actually lives in a country where protest is supposed to be respected, does much the same thing. But there's no real way to know who that'd be amongst our crew.

Personally, I'd be fine with both...took even more courage for the Czech on though...serious trouble potential with that one.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

doghouse

Oops, my bad. Hadn't looked at the Public Enemy list in a while and wasn't aware.

Right wingers have always been the biggest hypocrites anywhere. Back in 1968 they applauded Vera Caslavska and called her a hero but they condemned Tommy Smith and Juan Carlos and called them traitors. No doubt they are thinking the same crap about Gwen Berry.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:12 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:39 pm Thanks for your concession that I posted the truth.
Petey's in the doghouse for awhile. No sense invoking him, IMO.

You made an interesting point as applied to anyone who did applaud the Czech protest getting all worked up because an American, who actually lives in a country where protest is supposed to be respected, does much the same thing. But there's no real way to know who that'd be amongst our crew.

Personally, I'd be fine with both...took even more courage for the Czech on though...serious trouble potential with that one.
Bit of an understatement. As the old joke went, "What is the big deal about free speech? So, in America, I can go to Washington and I can say 'Nixon is an idiot.' So what? In Soviet Russia, I go the the Kremlin, and say 'Nixon is an idiot' just as well."
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:39 pm
doghouse

Oops, my bad. Hadn't looked at the Public Enemy list in a while and wasn't aware.

Right wingers have always been the biggest hypocrites anywhere. Back in 1968 they applauded Vera Caslavska and called her a hero but they condemned Tommy Smith and Juan Carlos and called them traitors. No doubt they are thinking the same crap about Gwen Berry.
While I think your general point on this specific hypocrisy is accurate, I don't think left wingers should throw stones in their own glass houses. Plenty of hypocrisy on the left.

"biggest"??? I do think we're in an epic period of such on the right, so I certainly wouldn't want to debate the other side on that one.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ Not being a left winger I wouldn't know who specifically or what you are referring to. But as for double standards, no doubt that it is the right wing delusionals who have a monopoly on that. Their silence on questions such as those I pose on this or other subjects proves the point.

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:53 am ^ Not being a left winger I wouldn't know who specifically or what you are referring to. But as for double standards, no doubt that it is the right wing delusionals who have a monopoly on that. Their silence on questions such as those I pose on this or other subjects proves the point.

Brook,

You didn't listen to a word MD said. See around the wall, for once!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Joe
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I love the ignore function. No need to have to read the stupidity and ingnorance of certain posters. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm I love the ignore function. No need to have to read the stupidity and ingnorance of certain posters. :D
Cradle,

Amen to that, I'll admit I don't use it enough!! :lol: :lol:

Joe
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:55 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm I love the ignore function. No need to have to read the stupidity and ingnorance of certain posters. :D
Cradle,

Joe
I only use it for one person. It took about a thousand times of trying to explain that GWB was not my "buddy" At some point in time you realize why waste your time arguing with an idiot? :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Cradle,

Joe

Haha. I guess that's why we need Petey here as he's the only right winger who is honest enough to admit I'm smarter than he is and that he has learned from me. Sadly, the other delusionals here cannot humble themselves enough to admit the same but that is their problem, not mine. :lol:

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:24 pm
Cradle,

Joe

Haha. I guess that's why we need Petey here as he's the only right winger who is honest enough to admit I'm smarter than he is and that he has learned from me. Sadly, the other delusionals here cannot humble themselves enough to admit the same but that is their problem, not mine. :lol:
Brook,

Funny you use the word delusion...

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:51 pmBrook,

Funny you use the word delusion...

Joe

yes, it never surprises me (though it should come as no surprise) how easily I defeat you right wingers

Now, how about addressing the matter of Gwen's patriotic action. Don't be afraid. Won't hurt to try ... ;)

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

And he actually had cause for a serious grievance:

But if you cannot be a decent human being, how about thinking strategically? The only reason anybody watches the Olympics is that they run the flags up the poles and play the national anthem. Otherwise, it is just a track meet. No ratings, no money for the athletes.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”