Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Cornell 2022

Post by faircornell »

Let's go Red! As a new season begins, Cornell has talent, with several players having sat out the 2021 year off campus. Good luck to the Big Red and best wishes to its fans.
Last edited by faircornell on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by Matnum PI »

Wow. Just now realized. Ivies will be back next season. :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Cornell Big Red
@CornellSports
The Cornell MLAX staff has had its interim tags removed. Connor Buczek will lead the staff as the Richard M. Moran Head Coach, while Jordan Stevens (Boiardi Associate Head Coach) and Paolo Ciferri return to lead the Big Red forward. #YellCornell https://bit.ly/3wW9Erw

https://twitter.com/CornellSports/statu ... 7480772610
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Huzzah! That's great news
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:52 am Cornell Big Red
@CornellSports
The Cornell MLAX staff has had its interim tags removed. Connor Buczek will lead the staff as the Richard M. Moran Head Coach, while Jordan Stevens (Boiardi Associate Head Coach) and Paolo Ciferri return to lead the Big Red forward. #YellCornell https://bit.ly/3wW9Erw

https://twitter.com/CornellSports/statu ... 7480772610
So, is that one of the youngest coaching staffs in Division I lacrosse?

Congratulations to the Big Red coaches.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Cornell AD: “President Pollack, I would like to retain our current interim lacrosse coaches and hire them as our permanent coaching staff.”

Cornell President: “La-what?”

Cornell AD: “Lacrosse ... L ... A ....”

Cornell President: “I know what lagross is. I can spell lagross, ya know. I’m not just a computer science geek.”

Cornell AD: “Lacro ... never mind. Do I have your permission, Madame President?”

Cornell President: “Who are these lagross coaches? Show me their photos ....”

Cornell AD: “Here you go, President Pollack.”

Cornell President: “These kids?!? You want to put these snot-nosed brats in charge of our lagross program?!? This one here looks like he’s in high school.”

Cornell AD: “Coach Buczek was a three-time All-American and has been an excellent coach here at Cornell for six years now.”

Cornell President: “I dunno ... seems like it would be more appropriate to implement a national search and ....”

Cornell AD: “He’s really cheap ... we’re hardly paying them anything.”

Cornell President: “You have my permission, Andy ....” *Smiles and gives two thumbs up*

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
CU88

Post by CU88 »

by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:20 pm There is a pattern...

https://www.mytwintiers.com/sports/corn ... ng-future/
Without becoming maudelin, during times such as these, it's important to support our new coaches. As CU88 implicitly notes, some big money sports schools are after our best. Ice hockey goalie Galajda moving to Notre Dame is another example of this.

My view is that between the "pull" of friendlier environments and the "push" of factions within the university who think that Ivies put too much emphasis on sports, that Ivy coaching is a particularly thankless endeavor right now.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:17 pm Cornell AD: “President Pollack, I would like to retain our current interim lacrosse coaches and hire them as our permanent coaching staff.”

Cornell President: “La-what?”

Cornell AD: “Lacrosse ... L ... A ....”

Cornell President: “I know what lagross is. I can spell lagross, ya know. I’m not just a computer science geek.”

Cornell AD: “Lacro ... never mind. Do I have your permission, Madame President?”

Cornell President: “Who are these lagross coaches? Show me their photos ....”

Cornell AD: “Here you go, President Pollack.”

Cornell President: “These kids?!? You want to put these snot-nosed brats in charge of our lagross program?!? This one here looks like he’s in high school.”

Cornell AD: “Coach Buczek was a three-time All-American and has been an excellent coach here at Cornell for six years now.”

Cornell President: “I dunno ... seems like it would be more appropriate to implement a national search and ....”

Cornell AD: “He’s really cheap ... we’re hardly paying them anything.”

Cornell President: “You have my permission, Andy ....” *Smiles and gives two thumbs up*

DocBarrister ;)
Seeing the way the Hopkins team performed this year, maybe that conversation went more like this circa 2020

Cornell AD Andy Noel: Our lacrosse coach, Peter Milliman, has an offer to be the HC at Hopkins.

President Pollack: You mean the guy who came here from Princeton as a nobody assistant to an assistant and who we made head coach?

Noel: Yes. That's the one. We made him what he is today. He wants to know if we will offer him a huge raise to stay?

Pollack: Doesn't he understand that we are in the middle of an economic crisis and hiring/wage freeze because of the pandemic ?

Noel: He doesn't seem to care. Either does Hopkins.

Pollack: Well Is he worth it? I mean he had no answer at all for the "lock off Teat" strategy.

Noel: I know. The creativity all comes from the assistants.

Pollack: Well. Hopkins is desperate to replace Pietramala. They'll do anything to attract their choice. What about our assistants? Can they handle the job?

Noel: We have some very bright and capable assistants. There's offensive coordinator Connor Buczek. If you recall, he was an All American player a few years back.

Pollack: The lacrosse team's offense has been very impressive the past two years, hasn't it? It's one of the most exciting and efficient offenses in D1.

Noel. Yes. There are some that think Buczek has been the real engine behind this team's recent success. We probably win the national title if this pandemic doesn't happen.

Pollack: I can see that may the case. If Milliman is going to take advantage of this COVID crisis to go to a struggling Hopkins team and leave behind what we are builing here, let's let Hopkins have him. We'll keep the better coach and promote him. Wish Milliman luck trying to rebuild that mess in Baltimore.
Noel: Agreed. We'll keep the guy who wants to be here. We may have our lacrosse coach for 20-30 years in Buczek. And he bleeds Carnelian and While. It wi'll be fun watching Milliman deal with the alumni and fans down there with their unrealistic expectations. They act like it's still the late 1970s and think the lacrosse world rises and sets on Homewood and that they should win the national title every season. Serves him right for pulling this in the middle of the pandemic. Hope their fans are still happy with a season full of "good losses" to top notch opponents.

Pollack: Done. Thanks.

:lol:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Cornell AD: “Uh ... President Pollack ....”

Cornell President: *Doesn’t bother looking up* “Yeah, what is it now, Andyroono?”

Cornell AD: “New wrestling coach, we propose hiring ....”

Cornell President: “Let me guess ... Cornell grad ...”

Cornell AD: “Well, yes.”

Cornell President: “Ridiculously young?”

Cornell AD: *Clears throat* “Well, let me explain ....”

Cornell President: “Excellent coach, blah, blah, blah?”

Cornell AD: “Absolutely ... let me tell you more about him. Mike is universally ....”

Cornell President: “Cheap?”

Cornell AD: “Yes, yes. That ... that’s ....”

Cornell President: “Fine ... now, get the h*ll out, AndyPandy. I need to deal with some cr*p at the Ag school.”

DocBarrister ;)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 pm

Without becoming maudelin, during times such as these, it's important to support our new coaches. As CU88 implicitly notes, some big money sports schools are after our best. Ice hockey goalie Galajda moving to Notre Dame is another example of this.

My view is that between the "pull" of friendlier environments and the "push" of factions within the university who think that Ivies put too much emphasis on sports, that Ivy coaching is a particularly thankless endeavor right now.
He graduated. He is playing for ND as a grad student. It's not a poach
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:24 pm

Cornell AD: “Uh ... President Pollack ....”

Cornell President: *Doesn’t bother looking up* “Yeah, what is it now, Andyroono?”

Cornell AD: “New wrestling coach, we propose hiring ....”

Cornell President: “Let me guess ... Cornell grad ...”

Cornell AD: “Well, yes.”

Cornell President: “Ridiculously young?”

Cornell AD: *Clears throat* “Well, let me explain ....”

Cornell President: “Excellent coach, blah, blah, blah?”

Cornell AD: “Absolutely ... let me tell you more about him. Mike is universally ....”

Cornell President: “Cheap?”

Cornell AD: “Yes, yes. That ... that’s ....”

Cornell President: “Fine ... now, get the h*ll out, AndyPandy. I need to deal with some cr*p at the Ag school.”

DocBarrister ;)
Cornell has teams that have competed for Division 1 national titles in multiple sports over the past few years, including lacrosse, wrestling, and mens and women's ice hockey. Hopkins has umm, uhh. Forget it.

To come here and knock Cornell Athletics after what the school has been through the past year and a half is unnecessary. Cornell was in serious contention for 3 national championships in 2020- mens ice hockey, women's ice hockey and mens lax.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’m looking forward to seeing what those freshmen who
were not able to play this season, are capable of,

Kirst, Rory Graham, Dalton, Monty Cook.

And, looks like a nice class this upcoming year,

I’d expect the underclassman will have plenty of
opportunity to get playing time.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

This should be interesting, especially for those who remember: https://cornellbigred.com/news/2021/6/4 ... -game.aspx
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 pm ...

Noel. Yes. There are some that think Buczek has been the real engine behind this team's recent success. We probably win the national title if this pandemic doesn't happen.

Pollack: I can see that may the case. If Milliman is going to take advantage of this COVID crisis to go to a struggling Hopkins team and leave behind what we are builing here, let's let Hopkins have him. We'll keep the better coach and promote him. Wish Milliman luck trying to rebuild that mess in Baltimore.
Noel: Agreed. We'll keep the guy who wants to be here. We may have our lacrosse coach for 20-30 years in Buczek. And he bleeds Carnelian ...
Serious question: does this represent the Cornell faithful's consensus thinking on Buczek? In any case, here's looking forward to 2022 Ivy lacrosse.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:44 am
Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 pm ...

Noel: Agreed. We'll keep the guy who wants to be here. We may have our lacrosse coach for 20-30 years in Buczek. And he bleeds Carnelian ...
Serious question: does this represent the Cornell faithful's consensus thinking on Buczek? In any case, here's looking forward to 2022 Ivy lacrosse.
Cornell lacrosse has hosted two "Town Halls" since coach Buczek took over. Each had approximately 250-300 attendees. This included All America players back to the 60s, and the majority of the alumni giving base. As far as I can tell, the Alumni loved it.

As for Coach B, in the first call, he explained the planning behind Jeff Teat's tying goal against PSU in 2020. I believe that this is on line now, or there is a link available on one of the Cornell posts. If you want to listen to a really sophisticated lax coach, tune into this.

In my day, Mike W was an assistant at Cornell. He was young, but no one on the team was a better player. This garnered respect, and people listened to him.

Coach Buczek was First Team AA, has represented the USA at least twice internationally, is a star in the PLL. He has a Cornell MBA. I may be idealistic, but, there is a lot for college students to look up to.

While I certainly can't speak for all.... I would argue that he has significant support.
Last edited by faircornell on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I don't think there is much doubt that Buczek has substantial fan base support. Both he and Stevens are bright, articulate, good recruiters and former star players. It will be hard to hang on to both of them over time. Part of the question may have been whether Buczek, not Milliman, is viewed as the real secret to Cornell's recent success, especially on offense. One would have to be incredibly plugged in to have an opinion on that, and I seriously doubt there is a consensus. Milliman was a good recruiter, in part from tireless work, and from some good relationships including north of the border. He was also good at spotting his/Cornell type players no matter what their pundit ratings. I also think that he was growing inter personally over time. Good luck to him-- hopefully not at our expense-- but I like our current staff a great deal.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

They certainly deserve every Cornell fan's full-throated support. This is their team to lead now, our job as fans is to let them get on with it while we cheer from the sidelines.

FWIW, I like this move better than going out and trying to hire away from some other team.

And maybe it will make up for Andy Noel's utterly boneheaded move of hanging the interim tag on Milliman in his first year.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

The all-time record for points in a single NCAA lacrosse tournament is 25. It is held by two Cornell players: Eamon McEneaney (in 3 games in 1977) and Tim Goldstein (in 4 games in 1987). This year, two players scored 24 points in 4 games falling short of the record. They are Maryland's Jared Bernhardt and Virginia's Connor Shellenberger. GO BIG RED!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”