Matt Danowski
43%
Other
14%

Total votes: 56

gymman1031

Who Will Be Duke's Next Coach?

Post by gymman1031 »

John Danowski is still doing great, and he very possibly will be around multiple more years. However, I was just curious as to who you thought. There are several realistic possibilities.
Last edited by gymman1031 on Thu May 20, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgdsr

Re: Who Will Be Duke's Next Coach?

Post by wgdsr »

will be between dano jr (for some reason i can't vote for him here) and whoever is available and had the best season that spring.

so also maybe not listed.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:07 pm will be between dano jr (for some reason i can't vote for him here) and whoever is available and had the best season that spring.

so also maybe not listed.
I added Matt Danowski. And for people who think it will be someone not on this list, I have an "Other" option.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Baton pass....Cuse style! Ned as first mate!
AOD

Post by AOD »

Mike Murphy. Surprised he's not listed in the poll.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Probably Matt Dano

But if not him....I’ll go for Chemotti. He turned Hopkins down for a reason; that job is why imo.

Watch out for Amplo as a potential wild card though I think
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

As a UNC fan, I certainly hope Duke picks Matt Danowski over a proven head coach.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Can he claim a COVID year and be a player-coach? Immediately the best player on the team. He was just amazing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Caputo
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:13 amCaputo
Why isn't Caputo on the list?

I don't think it is the right choice for Duke, but my guess is that Dano (Sr) holds on long enough for Caputo to go elsewhere and then hands the keys to Junior.

But that's not how I voted, I voted "Other" for Caputo.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

HooDat wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:13 amCaputo
Why isn't Caputo on the list?

I don't think it is the right choice for Duke, but my guess is that Dano (Sr) holds on long enough for Caputo to go elsewhere and then hands the keys to Junior.

But that's not how I voted, I voted "Other" for Caputo.
How long has Caputo been there? And he’s never really in the mix for other jobs. I think he’s content to just be the #2 and if the opportunity comes, wait for his chance to be the HC after Dano.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why would an “intelligent” institution allow a guy to hand his kid a job unless he’s proven to be the best and frankly given optics probably needs a full body length lead over anyone else due to optics? Not just the question of who works for who, especially given how little love some admin has for Coach Ks power. I’d put Dan behind 4-5 simply because of that. Imagine the heightened critical repose to the admin and BOT if something went sideways and your explains to your board and wealthy contributors “Well coach John Danowski was so good we felt like it was ok to waive his son in” and expect to keep you’re job? Folks talk about wanting broad based lacrosse growth and then think they hand six figure jobs to their kids? It’s one thing to be head of industrials at citi and get your kid into an Ibanking rotational program but another to entrust an entire program to a son who’s mainly cut his teeth under dad at his school and limited external experience.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:26 pm Why would an “intelligent” institution allow a guy to hand his kid a job unless he’s proven to be the best and frankly given optics probably needs a full body length lead over anyone else due to optics? Not just the question of who works for who, especially given how little love some admin has for Coach Ks power. I’d put Dan behind 4-5 simply because of that. Imagine the heightened critical repose to the admin and BOT if something went sideways and your explains to your board and wealthy contributors “Well coach John Danowski was so good we felt like it was ok to waive his son in” and expect to keep you’re job? Folks talk about wanting broad based lacrosse growth and then think they hand six figure jobs to their kids? It’s one thing to be head of industrials at citi and get your kid into an Ibanking rotational program but another to entrust an entire program to a son who’s mainly cut his teeth under dad at his school and limited external experience.
I agree with all this - If I was Matt I would much prefer dad use his influence to get me a HC job somewhere else to prove myself and then come back to Duke after having done so.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

I would think it would be between Ben Deluca and Ron Caputo, either would be a great choice
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t see deluca. There’s still a sniff of taint from his leaving Cornell, fair or or unfair, that wasn’t addressed while at Harvard (meaning I don’t get these sense he left there having rehabilitated his image with everyone else completely falling in love with him) combined w his recent recruiting at Del being different profile and even some left over shadenfruede (Sp?) from paying out over $80mm due to 06.
See Martin, Malcolm
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Who will it be? Or who should it be? Two very different questions.

My guess is they stay in house with Caputo or Dino Jr.

Who should it be? The proven head coach: Chemotti.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Setting aside this need to have an alum, I think for a few gigs including Syracuse and Duke that Warne would be gettable. I bring this up because we talk about Cassesse, Chemotti but neither have gotten past round 1 let alone run a few year cofnerence title streak at that level (Lehigh wins one here and there, SoCon isn’t same level comp). Trying to think about it but if you’re younger with momentum and have gotten to round 2 is truly a proven winner. Can’t think at moment but teams do it Del, UMBC, Towson, Loyola, UMass, Albany, Colgate, etc with most of those older coaches (Shills, Zim, Toomey in between, Cannella similar, Nagle = Baum, Nadalen). Look at Brown as an example w Tiffany.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:54 pm Setting aside this need to have an alum, I think for a few gigs including Syracuse and Duke that Warne would be gettable. I bring this up because we talk about Cassesse, Chemotti but neither have gotten past round 1 let alone run a few year cofnerence title streak at that level (Lehigh wins one here and there, SoCon isn’t same level comp). Trying to think about it but if you’re younger with momentum and have gotten to round 2 is truly a proven winner. Can’t think at moment but teams do it Del, UMBC, Towson, Loyola, UMass, Albany, Colgate, etc with most of those older coaches (Shills, Zim, Toomey in between, Cannella similar, Nagle = Baum, Nadalen). Look at Brown as an example w Tiffany.
Agree with your general point, but I don’t think it’s a perfect comparison. For example, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Richmond job to loyola. Loyola has been a relatively consistent program since the 90s, and had played for a national championship before Toomey. Granted upon his arrival he took them to an elite level, but granted his only national championship was when chemotti was the OC did and the majority of recruiting. I also have to add that I think he’s at a different level than the other guys listed and is among the best of the best. Richmond was a first year program when chemotti took over and they made the tournament at a time where Air Force was at different level than they are now. I do agree that Warne is certainly moving into that category and would do a fine job
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I mean it’s silly because Chemotti is a excellent coach (who lost to HPU in Conf finals this year) but to say Warne is getting there is crazy by comparison. These won the last three big East titles (2018, 2019 & 2021) in a conference w Denver, Nova and Marquette has been a pretty strong program started around the same time as Richmond. Over that stretch, including the partial 2020 season, he’s 44-12. 1-2 in the playoffs w 1 goal loss to Hop in 2018, 3 goal loss to Yale in 2019 and this evisceration of Cuse and probably a 50/50 w UVA to be in the final four (which nadelen has also made).

I know Air Force as Hobart shared a conference for a couple of years before they went in blazing in the SoCon under Seremet and their down IMO because the current coach isn’t as good is Seremet. But you aren’t telling me Chemotti, a very fine 31-23 since 2018, has proven to be a better coach than Warne are you?
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 pm I mean it’s silly because Chemotti is a excellent coach (who lost to HPU in Conf finals this year) but to say Warne is getting there is crazy by comparison. These won the last three big East titles (2018, 2019 & 2021) in a conference w Denver, Nova and Marquette has been a pretty strong program started around the same time as Richmond. Over that stretch, including the partial 2020 season, he’s 44-12. 1-2 in the playoffs w 1 goal loss to Hop in 2018, 3 goal loss to Yale in 2019 and this evisceration of Cuse and probably a 50/50 w UVA to be in the final four (which nadelen has also made).

I know Air Force as Hobart shared a conference for a couple of years before they went in blazing in the SoCon under Seremet and their down IMO because the current coach isn’t as good is Seremet. But you aren’t telling me Chemotti, a very fine 31-23 since 2018, has proven to be a better coach than Warne are you?
Agreed that in the last 3 years Warne has been as impressive as maybe anyone outside of Tillman/Danowski/Shay and maybe Lars. But he had some pretty big hiccups prior to that, with a 2-12 season followed by 4-10. While Richmond has grown into a nice position, I don’t think you can compare it to Georgetown- which is a top 30 institution on the planet, located in the capital of the U.S, has other big time sports programs (basketball) and is located just an hour south of baltimore, right up the street from NOVA, and obviously the D.C. area, all of which are extremely talent rich with maybe the most of which in baltimore (along w LI). Not to mention it’s a closer to northeast hotbeds, and has a much much stronger pull due to academic reputation and basketball. While I may be partially biased due to his phenomenal work at loyola, despite Chemotti not having anything close to what Georgetown is this year, he’s been very consistent in building a program that didn’t exist 10 years ago into a steady top 15 team that scares and beats blue bloods year in and year out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”