Will Florida State go varsity this time?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HowieT3

Will Florida State go varsity this time?

Post by HowieT3 »

Another story has surfaced that Florida State will move both their men's and women's club teams up to varsity status in the ACC. Does it really happen this time or is this just more wishful thinking? If it does happen, the ACC will have 6 men's teams again and qualify once again for an AQ bid under NCAA rules. How will that affect the number of total and at-large bids?
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
10stone5

Re: Will Florida State go varsity this time?

Post by 10stone5 »

10 + 8,
two play in games to get to 16.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Let’s hope. We need for programs.
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

Doubt it very much that FSU fields varsity men’s lacrosse. Maybe women’s if they need Title IX balancing. But a men’s program seems a stretch. They have the look and feel of an SEC school even though they are in the ACC. E.g. no men’s soccer while they have a strong women’s team.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 pm Doubt it very much that FSU fields varsity men’s lacrosse. Maybe women’s if they need Title IX balancing. But a men’s program seems a stretch. They have the look and feel of an SEC school even though they are in the ACC. E.g. no men’s soccer while they have a strong women’s team.
Wouldn't adding women's without an offset on the men's side put them at an imbalance?

I hope they can add either as a legit D1 program. The timing seems highly highly highly unlikely, unless there's some super rich alum funding it.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

ckstevenson wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:34 pm
CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 pm Doubt it very much that FSU fields varsity men’s lacrosse. Maybe women’s if they need Title IX balancing. But a men’s program seems a stretch. They have the look and feel of an SEC school even though they are in the ACC. E.g. no men’s soccer while they have a strong women’s team.
Wouldn't adding women's without an offset on the men's side put them at an imbalance?

I hope they can add either as a legit D1 program. The timing seems highly highly highly unlikely, unless there's some super rich alum funding it.
No. The rule is, I believe, you have to have the same amount of women's scholarships as men's. Most schools try to stay over whatever the threshold is, so have more women's than men's. Heck, a school could choose to just have men's football and basketball and all women's everything else. No rule for saying you can't have more women's than men's - just can't have more men's than women's.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s actually a three pronged test that includes #/% participation and $ spent so wouldn’t really ever have just FB/BB and women’s sports in that hypothetical. Need proportionality and men’s FB at the highest level doesn’t really allow for that.

GaTech more likely with larger male enrollment, modest FB budget and the club team wins championship not too long ago. Atlanta being a major metro area that had a pro team win a title and having become a big pro soccer town somehow adds to that element. Only problem is they’re still digging out of a hole from the prior AD who gave Hewitt a long term extension only to buy him out at 100 cents on the dollar a year later.

But...I got my father in law to add an additional stipulation into his endowed women’s basketball scholarship which he set up to transfer if they ever had D1 hockey. Now it includes the option to moving it to lacrosse if they stepped up as well. He’s a huge hockey guy, part owner of minor league club here until last year and had a small piece of the Thrashers before they moved. Originally wanted to go to RPI but couldn’t afford it which is how he ended up at Tech so I can’t get lacrosse to supercede hockey but if I’m still married when he dies...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

In the article the coach is talking about how they have to show that they are competitive with current programs. As we've seen from Michigan and Utah, it can take quite a long time to be competitive in the D1 landscape...and quite often the current coaches/program aren't up to the challenge.

I hope it happens. More D1 programs in non-hotbed locations would be awesome.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

sipecoth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 am In the article the coach is talking about how they have to show that they are competitive with current programs. As we've seen from Michigan and Utah, it can take quite a long time to be competitive in the D1 landscape...and quite often the current coaches/program aren't up to the challenge.

The telephone game. The FSU coach says "they have to be successful with what they are doing". The article says they must "show that they can compete with already solidified programs." Now we see "competitive in the D1 landscape".

Define competitive. Define successful. Last FSU men's national championship in any sport was 2013 (Football). Last women's was in 2018.

I would rate their real motivations as
1. Title IX compliance (Go/No-go)
2. Money
3. Florida growing in lax participation (see 1 & 2)
4. Going varsity before UF and Miami

Did I mention $?
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

sipecoth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 am In the article the coach is talking about how they have to show that they are competitive with current programs. As we've seen from Michigan and Utah, it can take quite a long time to be competitive in the D1 landscape...and quite often the current coaches/program aren't up to the challenge.

3-5 this year with 2 losses to top 15 programs isn't that bad. I think they've shown they can quickly compete.

And they were getting a TON of fans.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”