Masks or no masks

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxinforlife

Masks or no masks

Post by laxinforlife »

Just wondering for those of you with D1 players out there-are they practicing with masks on? My dds have to practice outdoors (and of course for the weight room) with masks on-it's hard to breathe when sprinting but they are getting used to it-if you can. lol
This generation of kids has really gone through the ringer-especially the 2020s. No HS season, no prom, no graduation, NOT a normal freshman college experience, some didn't even get to go to college this fall bc a few schools are only online with no on campus living. No visitors to dorms, can't practice as an entire team (some schools are). Then, the quarantines and being isolated if you are positive-it's going to hopefully make these kids very resiilent. It's a different world.
I hope things change for the good soon. Read yesterday that a vaccine may be out by November!
Dr. Tact

Re: Masks or no masks

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxinforlife wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:31 pm Just wondering for those of you with D1 players out there-are they practicing with masks on?
My oldest D is not allowed to practice with her team because she does not live in the State where the University is, so I do not know if they are using masks.

Youngest D is still in HS, but the College she is committed to is having their players practice with masks.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Club teams are practicing with masks - mostly indoors some are still outside. My DD is in college, but her school is virtual so no practicing with teammates can only do a bit at home by herself and then the random get together with friends from time to time.
Turtles Lax

Terps practices are...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...currently with masks...but let us hope sanity returns sometime soon. :roll:

Peace, out.

TL
laxinforlife

Re: Terps practices are...

Post by laxinforlife »

Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:15 pm ...currently with masks...but let us hope sanity returns sometime soon. :roll:

Peace, out.

TL
Hoping the return to sanity will come soon.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Practice with masks? Who in their right mind is doing that? If club teams can play with no masks, then why are colleges with health departments having girls practice or play with masks. Insane and hypocritical. Can anyone say afraid of liability? Positive tests? Yes. Hospitalizations? NO Deaths? Definitely NO!

Wake up America!
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

I think it is inane. The WHO & CDC do NOT recommend wearing masks during vigorous exercise. Initially my kids only had to wear a mask in the weight room, but the alert level increased and they had to wear them during practice outside as well. I can't wait until the mania goes away. It's crazy. I will say my kids will suffer through masks if it means that they get to practice. Practice is their outlet and worth wearing a mask for!
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Not trying to change anyone's opinion here, but this is a real interesting video (it is long, but seems to have a lot of information and facts) on youtube about COVID-19 and how viruses spread and contains history of viruses the last 100 years and how they spread through the population:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9& ... nmU6mxHlmU

Here is a link to who Ivor Cummins is:

https://celebpie.com/ivor-cummins/
https://www.dietdoctor.com/preview-the- ... our-doctor
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am curious, any reports from the Ds, DDs in some cases, playing/practicing with masks on as to how it affects their breathing (or not)? I know it does mine when I have to wear one. I also have a half century+ on these gals but I don't see how putting a mask over your face doesn't make it more difficult to get oxygen into the lungs, particularly when you need more with exertion.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Ohio State Medical says no effect on oxygen levels (or CO2 buildup) while wearing a mask. August 4 2020 report. https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/masks-oxygen-levels. Ohio State Women's team is not wearing masks while conditioning.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

TNLAX wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:38 am Not trying to change anyone's opinion here, but this is a real interesting video (it is long, but seems to have a lot of information and facts) on youtube about COVID-19 and how viruses spread and contains history of viruses the last 100 years and how they spread through the population:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9& ... nmU6mxHlmU

Here is a link to who Ivor Cummins is:

https://celebpie.com/ivor-cummins/
https://www.dietdoctor.com/preview-the- ... our-doctor
Thanks for the link!
all.about.lax

Post by all.about.lax »

I would venture to guess that many players who lost their seasons last spring would wear a mask if it meant they could have played.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

I think what's scary is that we should even be asking this question (no is the answer, btw). The fact that we have to wear these damn things everywhere we go now is ridiculous.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Lets be clear, the CDC's own data states that every player this age that tests positive has a 99.99% chance of surviving this virus. Why are we doing this to ourselves? I think we know the answer. This is a scare tactic. I would ask that the school administrations and coaches ask players to sign a waiver to play. Let our kids play!

I would skydive without a parachute if my chances of survival were this high.

Common Man!
njbill

Post by njbill »

I assume from your post that the women’s team at JMU is not practicing with masks.
Opinionated

Post by Opinionated »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:27 pm Lets be clear, the CDC's own data states that every player this age that tests positive has a 99.99% chance of surviving this virus. Why are we doing this to ourselves? I think we know the answer. This is a scare tactic. I would ask that the school administrations and coaches ask players to sign a waiver to play. Let our kids play!

Common Man!
Give your head a shake and stop thinking small. It's not only about the players, but their parents, grandparents, and anyone that might be immuno-compromised that they might pass the virus on to. Sure, there might be a 99.99% chance that the player survives, but how many others that they might infect are not going to?

Would you still skydive without that parachute if there was a strong chance of killing somebody else as you landed?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

oh god, the crazies from the politics board are about to jump on here...which is basically everyone on that board.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

opinionated,

Think bigger. Keep your immuno compromised family away from the players………..that is better than shutting everything down and and killing kids lifestyles, careers and experience that is college. Have you heard of death by despair? Many more deaths and related issues with this than those that succumb to Covid. Remember another CDC data point. Only 6% of covid deaths are truly from covid. But you keep scaring people and alarming our society into decay. Maybe you are one of those that drive your car with the windows up and your mask on?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Opinionated wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:36 pm
livelovelax wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:27 pm Lets be clear, the CDC's own data states that every player this age that tests positive has a 99.99% chance of surviving this virus. Why are we doing this to ourselves? I think we know the answer. This is a scare tactic. I would ask that the school administrations and coaches ask players to sign a waiver to play. Let our kids play!

Common Man!
Give your head a shake and stop thinking small. It's not only about the players, but their parents, grandparents, and anyone that might be immuno-compromised that they might pass the virus on to. Sure, there might be a 99.99% chance that the player survives, but how many others that they might infect are not going to?

Would you still skydive without that parachute if there was a strong chance of killing somebody else as you landed?

This isn't the only way to approach this pandemic, there are many communicable diseases that are very serious. And we don't constantly spout, think about X and Y and Z that you could pass it on to. Those people know their risk and hopefully take the necessary steps to minimize it. No one is saying its not serious, but that's such a broad and simplistic take. There's things we can do to mitigate the risks of this illness, but to think for one second we can control the virus with just our actions alone is beyond silly. It's a COMMUNICABLE ILLNESS, it's going to spread NO MATTER WHAT WE DO. Luckily, we know a whole lot more about know then 7 months ago in terms of treatment, prevention,etc. But to discount the MASSIVE harmful effects of the lockdowns/overwhelming restrictions and policies installed by certain governors/states is just beyond foolish! The MORE infectious it is, the less deadly it is. It doesn't have anybody left to infect if it kills the majority of people it infects.

JoeMauer89!
Bart

Post by Bart »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:01 pm opinionated,

Think bigger. Keep your immuno compromised family away from the players………..that is better than shutting everything down and and killing kids lifestyles, careers and experience that is college. Have you heard of death by despair? Many more deaths and related issues with this than those that succumb to Covid. Remember another CDC data point. Only 6% of covid deaths are truly from covid. But you keep scaring people and alarming our society into decay. Maybe you are one of those that drive your car with the windows up and your mask on?
You make some salient points. I do disagree with your 6% statement.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-d ... -covid-19/

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”