Laxattackjack

Re: SMCM 2023

Post by Laxattackjack »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:50 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:15 pm
Frank Rizzo wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:27 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:50 pm
Frank Rizzo wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:37 am
LILaxGuy08 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:00 pm Child’s is a good coach. And SMCM is a decent team but wow what a joke of a conference. The conference merger is also hilarious. La Roche hired a hockey coach to help their lax team? How does this conference have an AQ? Rant over.

NCAA rules - its very simple and other AQ conferences are the same way, they have to schedule tough OOC games in order to play the best. Atlantic East is trash but Cabrini is always tough. Look at the MAC - York and Stevenson and the rest are trash
They need to start working on getting all the old CAC members as their OOC schedule:

SU
Stevie U
York
Catholic
UMW
CNU

Maybe add any of the good ODACS, WAC, Cabrini, Gburg.
Make the OOC schedule a murderers row.
No way Childs does this, he'd have kids transferring out so quickly. He plays the whole bench and puts kids in just so they get teased into staying. He certainly wont schedule York and play his brother
Not sure I'm following. Why would this schedule be a bad thing?
Half the games would be against great competition and toughen the team up for NCAA play, while some conference games could be a chance to get kids PT. Playing a 100% soft schedule does no good for anyone, aside from setting school scoring records.

You either dont have a kid playing there this year or the last year. Childs plays every kid now in order to keep them. If they play a Murder's row schedule like you suggest he cant and shouldnt play those kids. If the goal is wins and be a winning program he wont schedule murder's row.
they seem to keep the key players in most of the game. Lots of teams play the entire bench, and still manage to play some very good teams. On those games, some kids don’t get in. You can’t expect to have 50 kids play every game.
Look at his brothers roster. The full bench plays about 1/2 the games.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Frank - that is a horrible idea, for any coach to be threatened with tranfers......if they want roll out, then f-em, let them go. It does the team zero good to play little sisters of the poor week in and week out, just so johnny gets play time. The goal is to elevate the lacrosse program and he school and when you are beating teams that everyone else can beat by large margins, you are lumped in to that same grouping. They MUST play teams that may, or likely will kick their ass, to teach them how to compete at an elite level. Those kids are promised nothing, other than a chance.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:10 am Frank - that is a horrible idea, for any coach to be threatened with tranfers......if they want roll out, then f-em, let them go. It does the team zero good to play little sisters of the poor week in and week out, just so johnny gets play time. The goal is to elevate the lacrosse program and he school and when you are beating teams that everyone else can beat by large margins, you are lumped in to that same grouping. They MUST play teams that may, or likely will kick their ass, to teach them how to compete at an elite level. Those kids are promised nothing, other than a chance.
Have you sat in the stands and or in the parking lot. Little Timmy's mommy and daddy do a whole lot of crying because their kid doesnt play. Many are very vocal and its gotten back to Childs. Guess what has happened, little Timmy now gets playing time. I agree they are promised nothing. Funny how this generation of parents have coddled their kids and now faced with adversity they cant handle it
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Upon investigation, It certainly appears to be true.

~35 kids have played in 9 or more games.
~31 kids have registered a point.

I'm not sure whether to be disgusted or impressed by that equity.
If it was born from whiny parents, that's disappointing. If it's born from a naturally held philosophy, or directive from a suddenly opinionated SMCM dean, I can certainly respect that too.
On paper, and looking at wins and losses, it appears coach is managing it mostly well.
On the other hand, continuing that seems like a major effort and ultimately a barrier to elevating the level of the program to really compete for a NC.
But maybe I'm off base, and someone can point to a similar methodology where a team has done this and is regularly competitive on a national level.

I'm fine with whatever the choice is. But it's imperative to be honest about that to current students and recruits.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Tue May 09, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:03 am Upon investigation, It certainly appears to be true.

~35 kids have played in 9 or more games.
~31 kids have registered a point.

I'm not sure whether to be disgusted or impressed by that equity.
If it was born from whiny parents, that's disappointing. If it's born from a naturally held philosophy, or directive from a suddenly opinionated SMCM dean, I can certainly respect that too.
On paper, and looking at wins and losses, it appears coach is managing it mostly well.
On the other hand, continuing that seems like a barrier to elevating the level of the program to really compete for a NC.
But maybe I'm off base, and someone can point to a similar methodology where a team has done this and is regularly competitive on a national level.

I'm fine with whatever the choice is. But it's imperative to be honest about that to current students and recruits.
For comparison. Looking at York
35 players have played 9 more more games
32 players have at least one point
I looked at stevens
40 have played 9 or more games
37 have scored at least a point

Then I looked at Richmond. D1 tourney team. They only played 15 games. 26 players have 10 or more games
27 players have at least one point.

Seems that st Mary’s is in the ball park if playing times with these random teams.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:41 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:10 am Frank - that is a horrible idea, for any coach to be threatened with tranfers......if they want roll out, then f-em, let them go. It does the team zero good to play little sisters of the poor week in and week out, just so johnny gets play time. The goal is to elevate the lacrosse program and he school and when you are beating teams that everyone else can beat by large margins, you are lumped in to that same grouping. They MUST play teams that may, or likely will kick their ass, to teach them how to compete at an elite level. Those kids are promised nothing, other than a chance.
Have you sat in the stands and or in the parking lot. Little Timmy's mommy and daddy do a whole lot of crying because their kid doesnt play. Many are very vocal and its gotten back to Childs. Guess what has happened, little Timmy now gets playing time. I agree they are promised nothing. Funny how this generation of parents have coddled their kids and now faced with adversity they cant handle it
On occasion, yes I have, over the past 5-6 years.

Keep in mind, that many of these games are against UE teams where the score could easily be plus 15 before the end of the 1st qtr if they wanted. So emptying the bench is rather easy, as is gathering a points and logging solid minutes. So I could see how parents could get fussy if you blowing out teams and little johnnie is not seeing the field.

I know full well Coach manages expectations and minutes rather well, have seen both conference examples. It certainly did not appear that the bench was emptied prior to UE conference change. He does a solid job setting the lineups for each game and players pretty much know the plan before the first whistle.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:39 pm

Keep in mind, that many of these games are against UE teams where the score could easily be plus 15 before the end of the 1st qtr if they wanted. So emptying the bench is rather easy, as is gathering a points and logging solid minutes. So I could see how parents could get fussy if you blowing out teams and little johnnie is not seeing the field.

I know full well Coach manages expectations and minutes rather well, have seen both conference examples. It certainly did not appear that the bench was emptied prior to UE conference change. He does a solid job setting the lineups for each game and players pretty much know the plan before the first whistle.

Well lets see what coach does against a potential NCAA champ favorite. Middlesbury come in at 16-2 and only lost to Tufts.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:42 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:39 pm

Well lets see what coach does against a potential NCAA champ favorite. Middlesbury come in at 16-2 and only lost to Tufts.
Two midfield lines (If that to start), rotate 2-3 SSDM's, 1-2 LSM's, and starting Attack & Poles play entire game..... I'll wager 21 players in total see minutes. If the wheels begin to fall off the bus.....we'll see far more, so those players see minutes in an NCAA game. Not an uncommon lineup for most college programs.
~Livy
Slim

Post by Slim »

Really impressed with the tournament showing by the Seahawks yesterday. Milestones for the program. Kudos to the team, managers, coaching staff, AD, and parents.

Make you luck good in NY v. Middlebury. Keep working!

Go Seahawks!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Helluva game today. To be within one goal and have plenty of time with the last possession. Surprised coach didn’t call a TO to draw up something, but do respect him allowing the men to just play in a flow state.

My MVP is Robertson, had some timely saves.

Still frustrating coach does not encourage / green light transition unless it’s the one LSM. I think if we could pick up 1-2 transition goals a game it’d do wonders. Considering we haven’t had a high percentage FO guy for years.

Reason to celebrate tonight…. ‘down by the river’ !!
~Livy
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:21 pm Helluva game today. To be within one goal and have plenty of time with the last possession. Surprised coach didn’t call a TO to draw up something, but do respect him allowing the men to just play in a flow state.

My MVP is Robertson, had some timely saves.

Still frustrating coach does not encourage / green light transition unless it’s the one LSM. I think if we could pick up 1-2 transition goals a game it’d do wonders. Considering we haven’t had a high percentage FO guy for years.

Reason to celebrate tonight…. ‘down by the river’ !!
If only he made some saves early because he gave up 4 goals on the first 5 shots
Slim

Post by Slim »

Seahawks exceeded tournament expectations beating UMMA and taking a very strong NESCAC squad to the final bell. Hats off to Coach Childs in his first NCAA tourney showing. I agree with youthathletics, #7 was outstanding in the nets behind a stingy defense and kept it tight. Really impressed with how SMCM ran a poised offensive scheme. Kids are developing. Future is bright on the river. (But the UE still sucks as a conference)
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Do you root for Jude and Salisbury to win it or are you rolling with Tufts?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

We can root for Jude, and not Salisbury, at the same time. ;)
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

True. It goes against everything St Mary's.
But you couldn't root for Tufts.
Congrats to Jude. Once a Seahawk, always a Seahawk! He really stirred the drink for the Gulls this year.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

3 goalies on the roster with Robertson coming back for a grad year and 1 coming in the fall. So 5 goalies on the roster so far for next year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:51 am 3 goalies on the roster with Robertson coming back for a grad year and 1 coming in the fall. So 5 goalies on the roster so far for next year.
Something has to give
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:23 am
Frank Rizzo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:51 am 3 goalies on the roster with Robertson coming back for a grad year and 1 coming in the fall. So 5 goalies on the roster so far for next year.
Something has to give
Dickinson and Denison didnt have 5 goalies

We have 1 FOGO on the roster with Mitch graduating!!!!
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Oct 15th cant come soon enough!

Bragging rights at the Child's household and UA showcasing the new stadium

Cant wait
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:16 am Oct 15th cant come soon enough!

Bragging rights at the Child's household and UA showcasing the new stadium

Cant wait
Where?
~Livy

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”