Incident #1

The forum rules are little different than lacrosse rules. You can read more within this forum. If you are assessed a penalty, this is the only forum you can post within.
dislaxxic

Re: Incident #1

Post by dislaxxic »

Do you think Tostito self-polices? Maybe, as you say, "within his belief system", but...geez...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You and i don't walk into a grocery store, see no security, and say, "Hmm, no security. I want to but I can't steal the Chip Ahoys so I need to self-police." Some people need to have this internal dialogue not to steal the cookies and... some simply steal the cookies. But, either way, there's no sense of social responsibility, doing the right thing, etc. There's "self-policing". And, when confronted with his thievery, the person says, "What?! But you had no security. And where does it day I can't steal? I'm being targeted!" That's why i find the discussion about self-policing odd. I think self-policing is code for, I'm not recognizing the forum rules and, for that matter, social mores. I'm... Self-policing.

'bat, I'm not saying this about you as you use the phrase self-policing. I'm speaking in generalities.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Self policing is different rules by different people. Walk into some people's houses and they're using MFer and F in every other sentence in front of their kids, other houses, you'd never hear that. Kids who grew up in the house where MFer was used in every other sentence have a different definition of self policing.It is what it is.
Matnum PI wrote:DMac, agreed. But you're three people. What about the other 489 (and there's-gotta-be more come February) post-ers? Also, I'm lazy. i don't want to have to ask each person one-by-one where they live and if they want to meet up. I don't want to ask women on a date. i want a Dating App!
Yup, a big gathering is going to take some coordinating. Location will always be good for some, not so much for others. CU77, for example, lives in California.
As stated though, we know who one another follows, and if you're going to their house (field) or they're coming to yours, a simple PM can get the two (or 3, or 4) of you together.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's a great example. CU in CA. Who else is in CA? I'm looking at the Real Time Google Analytics and there are plenty of people all over the country. My only thought is that they should know who each other are. Not by Bert Macklin. But by JHULaxFan or whatever. Then, if they choose to catch a HS game together or whatever, they do. But at least they'll know that each other exist. When it 's on my plate, I'll try to post some of our options with relation to Geo and Location stuff. Heck, the solution might be as simple as a post. but I think we can do better. we'll see...
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocB is California boy too.
San Diego, can grow lemon trees there.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Matnum PI wrote:DMac, agreed. But you're three people. What about the other 489 (and there's-gotta-be more come February) post-ers? Also, I'm lazy. i don't want to have to ask each person one-by-one where they live and if they want to meet up. I don't want to ask women on a date. i want a Dating App!

Perfect. Each member should have their own thread. swipe left or right depending..........and no links to other posters profile. Grinder doesn't work like that, can't post someones thoughts as your own
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Matnum PI wrote:
"My point is, what does it really matter if Matt deletes a proven troll's account or a garbage post?"... For the record, I don't delete anything. Admin does. And I don't know if he deleted any posts. I know he deleted a thread by mistake. But, otherwise, I think he's just edited swears, etc.
I thought you (Matnum) were aka Admin. I was under the impression you were dual hatted.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Church and State. Admin lines the fields, refs, etc. Matnum just plays.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

admin wrote:Church and State. Admin lines the fields, refs, etc. Matnum just plays.
Very good policy too.

I’m waiting to see Matt in the Penalty Box.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Won't happen. I'm clean as a whistle.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I don't have issues with written rules and policies provided that are created by consensus of the posters/members.There existed at one time,now long ago and far away,a blog re: all things lacrosse. It appeared that a group of people,labeled MODERATORS,subjectively chose what THEY considered offensive.A page out of Mr.Justcice Stewrat book?Looking back,I can understand,up to a point,how difficult a task that must have been.I believe that blog had much bigger membership,making policing it a tad more unwieldy.

The issue as I see it is the assurance that objective assessments of what is deemed to be "offensive,naughty or cruel" are consistent and evenly applied.For example if one and ones family are insulted and your CV fictionalized,how should one respond? That was not at all clear when this blog took the place of the other one.

Folks handle insults and personal attacks differently? I am sure I wouldn't react decorously. But published rules would better enable me and others,decide if or how we should respond to such calumny.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wahoo, not sure if you saw it but the first post in this section has the rules.
For example if one and ones family are insulted and your CV fictionalized,how should one respond? That was not at all clear when this blog took the place of the other one.
I think that the elevator speech for the rules is, What would happen if you did this on a lacrosse field? Though Admin would need to confirm, I think a player shouting personal insults, even if true, would result in an unsportsman-like conduct.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm going to answer in the same way that a referee would answer if someone asked them, If I insult my opponent's mother, is that an unsportsman-like conduct? I think the answer would be, Yes. Especially since you're asking me. Then, the game starts and the player's opponent is actually his brother and... The answer is, It depends.

Also, Wahoo, even with numbers, it's not so hard to moderate this stuff. The key is having systems. Not people but systems.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Matnum PI wrote:wahoo, not sure if you saw it but the first post in this section has the rules.
For example if one and ones family are insulted and your CV fictionalized,how should one respond? That was not at all clear when this blog took the place of the other one.
I think that the elevator speech for the rules is, What would happen if you did this on a lacrosse field? Though Admin would need to confirm, I think a player shouting personal insults, even if true, would result in an unsportsmanlike conduct.
Interesting reply. Insults delivered on the field are usually not as long,in depth or as vicious as the crap that was posted about me and my family.The words hung there for all to see.And they were posted with impunity.I had only one option.And that ONE obviously didn't earn me a pass.

If someone delivered an insult ON THE FIELD,I would imagine the insult would be brief,heard by only a few then disappear into the ozone.But I would have a larger number of retaliatory options:I could laugh dismissively or say something about his momma or depending on the score,time left in the game and the potential damage my actions would have on my team (playoffs,league championships at stake etc.) start it up immediately or wait and confront him after the game.

The great thing about mid-game or post-game face-to-face confrontations rather that hiding behind anonymous post is immediate satisfaction.I have no idea where kramer lives.So the chances of us ever meeting are pretty slim.And I assume that the "rules" for unsportsmanlike conduct were not meted out to him.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Insults on the field are usually not heard by the referee. If a player's bothered by a constant harangue from an opposing player, the player says to the referee, Hey, ref. Can you keep an ear towards #24? The guy simply won't shut-up. And then the referee keeps and ear towards the guy and, if relevant, tweet-tweet. In other words, if someone's bothering you, report it. And if you don't, don't grab the referee after the game to say, Hey, ref. Why didn't you do something about the guy who you never heard?! Again, report it.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

If TS and I can end a mob war and make the peace (which I think we did), others can too.

It’s just an effing message board. I will never, ever understand why people get totally at each other’s throats. (Aside from the Water Cooler and Politics being two triggers - but I’ve always felt anyone entering that WC arena should be able to shake and dust off the dirt from each fracas).

One thing I really liked about Bob is that he went way out of his way to meet people and make the LP community more personal.

We should carry that spirit here. OK to have disagreements, but at the end of the day, people ought to be able to still want to sit down and have a beer with anyone here. It’s debate, don’t make it personal.

Believe me, this isn’t easy, and I can say that from recent experience.

We should all strive to do better.

W
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

admin wrote:Insults on the field are usually not heard by the referee. If a player's bothered by a constant harangue from an opposing player, the player says to the referee, Hey, ref. Can you keep an ear towards #24? The guy simply won't shut-up. And then the referee keeps and ear towards the guy and, if relevant, tweet-tweet. In other words, if someone's bothering you, report it. And if you don't, don't grab the referee after the game to say, Hey, ref. Why didn't you do something about the guy who you never heard?! Again, report it.
HUH? :?:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you don't like what someone is saying about you, report it.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

admin wrote:If you don't like what someone is saying about you, report it.
Guess I didn't do good job of questioning your new rule.Food for thought going forward.The disgusting attack happened in the nascent stages of your blog.Ergo,it would be pointless for me to submit an ex post facto report.The good news was learning about your the new posters.Based on their defense of that Kramer guy,it's quite clear that I am well outside the US/WE/INSIDERS pale that has been established.

Life goes on.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have no idea who the US/WE/INSIDERS are. But I know the rules here are objective, penalties are consistent, and they're given for what posters do and not who the posters are. Like in a lacrosse game, the goal of our rules is to keep things fair and fun for all players. Not just for the mean girls. As for a report that's old, I think it's worth writing. Depending on the infraction, few posters are penalized immediately. People are first given a warning. This report may serve as a warning and may help in the future.

Return to “FANLAX RULES AND PENALTY BOX”