CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Oaklax

Re: CNU 2023

Post by Oaklax »

Heard 8 out of 10 all Americans returning.. awesome reloading. Any news/rumors of transfers coming in? Freshman class looks very solid with some heavy hitter DC private schools and VA public schools.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Oaklax wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:08 pm Heard 8 out of 10 all Americans returning.. awesome reloading. Any news/rumors of transfers coming in? Freshman class looks very solid with some heavy hitter DC private schools and VA public schools.
Mikey Thompson has big things brewing down there. Great to see.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

With essentially every starter coming back for the Captains, you got to think next year could be the year. Offense returns everyone, defense returns the majority of their guys, and FOGO/Goalie returns.

Their only losses this year came to the eventual national champs and they got closer and closer each game. I don’t think it’s a talent thing between them and Salisbury, it just seems like a mental block when they play the Gulls.

Combine a highly motivated/talented 5th year class next year with a very good freshman/sophomore class and I truly believe they can make a run at the title. As of transfers, I’ve been hearing some buzz that CNU is going to pick up a few guys that should ultimately fix the depth issue they had this year. Some pretty good players have shown interest in CNU, so if I were Mikey Thompson I would do whatever I could to ensure that second line depth is there next year.

They have the pieces for it next year, just need to exorcise the demon that is Salisbury.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Expecting CNU to be very dangerous next year but I am a bit worried about their defense next year. They graduated 2 starting defenseman (54 and 7) and an AA ssdm (4). Any of these transfers d guys? CNU did great with defense transfers a few years ago
Last edited by Goldenboy on Mon May 29, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Goldenboy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:00 pm Expecting CNU to be very dangerous next year but I am a bit worried about their defense next year. They graduated 2 starting defenseman and an AA ssdm. Any of these transfers d guys? CNU did great with defense transfers a few years ago
I heard only #54 is graduating. #56 (defense play of the year winner) and 52 return (starters) maybe missing another d pole? . Also lose their best SSDM #4.. but yes, need to reload on defense and hopefully get some transfer D poles in. #21 freshman LSM played big in the second half of the season and should be a starter next year, fast and great stick skills.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

#7 started the last half of the games which is who I am referring to, #21 looks like he is going to be a stud next season
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Is Andrew cook back?
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:52 pm Is Andrew cook back?
Yup. Every starter except for #4 and #54 returns. #7 split time between a few different guys at close and will also not be returning.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Goldenboy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:00 pm Expecting CNU to be very dangerous next year but I am a bit worried about their defense next year. They graduated 2 starting defenseman (54 and 7) and an AA ssdm (4). Any of these transfers d guys? CNU did great with defense transfers a few years ago
Pozin was great, but CNU has some very good D-Mids returning. Widhelhm will be a bit tougher to replace. Their 2 LSM’s from last year are both natural close guys though so I would assume one of them will bump down to close. Both of them played extremely well towards the end of last year. #21 will be an AA by the time his career is over.

On the plus side, having Cabbaniss at face and Hanway in goal will help mitigate any defensive losses the Captains have.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Any transfer rumors so far?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Wonder if MT is an option for UVA OC.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

Doubtful, he played defensive middie.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Oaklax wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:19 pm Any transfer rumors so far?
I have heard they are targeting a few solid kids for positions in need. I will try to post once they become public.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:56 am
Oaklax wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:19 pm Any transfer rumors so far?
I have heard they are targeting a few solid kids for positions in need. I will try to post once they become public.
Awesome!
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

Just saw Campbell Pozin#4 SSDM, is transferring to High Point as a grad student.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Seems like CNU's Assistant Coach Andy Meyers is heading to Penn Sate for an open Assistant position there. Got to be happy for him, but man that is a tough loss for CNU as he has been their Defensive Coordinator, Face-Off Coach, and did a lot of the recruiting for them over the past two years.

Wondering if CNU is going to add another assistant heading into the year. Having only two coaches to support almost 60 guys will be a heavy ask for Coach Thompson and Coach Thomas. Mikey Thompson has some connections in the lacrosse world so I am assuming he will be able to bring on a solid guy for the program.

On a positive note - the CNU class of 2024 looks to be a very very strong one. I have seen a few of these kids play and they are all flat out ballers. I really like who CNU is brining in with the 2023/2024 classes. They will lose a lot of talent due to graduation, but it looks like they will be in reload mindset as opposed to a rebuild mindset. The future is bright down in Newport News.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:24 am Seems like CNU's Assistant Coach Andy Meyers is heading to Penn Sate for an open Assistant position there. Got to be happy for him, but man that is a tough loss for CNU as he has been their Defensive Coordinator, Face-Off Coach, and did a lot of the recruiting for them over the past two years.

Wondering if CNU is going to add another assistant heading into the year. Having only two coaches to support almost 60 guys will be a heavy ask for Coach Thompson and Coach Thomas. Mikey Thompson has some connections in the lacrosse world so I am assuming he will be able to bring on a solid guy for the program.

On a positive note - the CNU class of 2024 looks to be a very very strong one. I have seen a few of these kids play and they are all flat out ballers. I really like who CNU is brining in with the 2023/2024 classes. They will lose a lot of talent due to graduation, but it looks like they will be in reload mindset as opposed to a rebuild mindset. The future is bright down in Newport News.
CNU's class of 2023 and 2024 recruits are from great clubs and school programs. They have always done well with top public schools players but are getting in State players from top private schools programs as well like Saint Stephens, PVI, Blue Ridge school. I predict the team will continue to be a top contender for years to come
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:25 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:24 am Seems like CNU's Assistant Coach Andy Meyers is heading to Penn Sate for an open Assistant position there. Got to be happy for him, but man that is a tough loss for CNU as he has been their Defensive Coordinator, Face-Off Coach, and did a lot of the recruiting for them over the past two years.

CNU's class of 2023 and 2024 recruits are from great clubs and school programs. They have always done well with top public schools players but are getting in State players from top private schools programs as well like Saint Stephens, PVI, Blue Ridge school. I predict the team will continue to be a top contender for years to come
You really went out on limb with that statement...
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:51 pm

You sound a bit prickly about my comment LAXDAD. I was simply confirming that it is two good recruiting classes but now seem to be getting more players from Private in the past it was a lot of public school kids. Also two top VA based clubs VLC and Madlax are a big target for CNU. I watched many of the current CNU players like Young (s) and others in HS and the new players are of the same high caliber so I would expect CNU to continue to be a top 5 team for years to come. I think the team is getting the best players of any of the D3 schools in VA. I know now really going out on a limb with that.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:56 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:51 pm

You sound a bit prickly about my comment LAXDAD. I was simply confirming that it is two good recruiting classes but now seem to be getting more players from Private in the past it was a lot of public school kids. Also two top VA based clubs VLC and Madlax are a big target for CNU. I watched many of the current CNU players like Young (s) and others in HS and the new players are of the same high caliber so I would expect CNU to continue to be a top 5 team for years to come. I think the team is getting the best players of any of the D3 schools in VA. I know now really going out on a limb with that.
I think that was his point. Kinda sarcastic. CNU is established. So suggesting they will be good for the near future, isn’t really a stretch

Although, I would say that predicting any team to remain a top 5 team for years to come, is a stretch. Too much talent out there.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”