Impeachment of Joe Biden

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: Impeachment of Joe Biden

Post by kramerica.inc »

I appreciate the obstructionist right. There are plenty of laws and legislation on the books already. So the only good bill is a failed bill.
Anything new is likely just a further infringement on our civil liberties, something to make our life more difficult, or a way to redistribute/enable more theft from citizenry.

You relize afan, that the 2 parties are still working mostly as intended right? The only difference being that there are no longer partisan authored bills. The left tries to govern and the right will only allow super slashed/moderate/restricted bills to pass. There are no longer dual-authored bills. So in effect, the same thing is happening as when Tip and CO. were around. .
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

This will probably attract arrows, but I think W began his 8 years with a genuine interest in improving the lives of middle and working class Americans. Genuine domestic policy agenda. That was upended nearly entirely by 9-11and the decisions in its aftermath.

I also think both McCain or Romney would have led positive domestic agendas. They believed in good governance by consensus.

Certainly HW did.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

As a McCain supporter I remember being shouted down from the kooky lib inlaws for supporting an jerk republican. In the few years that followed, the same group sainted my guy.

They completely forgot what they said in my own dining room.

Whoda thunk it?

I need to break out the old "Sportsmen for McCain" hat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:15 am I appreciate the obstructionist right. There are plenty of laws and legislation on the books already. So the only good bill is a failed bill.
Anything new is likely just a further infringement on our civil liberties, something to make our life more difficult, or a way to redistribute/enable more theft from citizenry.

You relize afan, that the 2 parties are still working mostly as intended right? The onyl difference being that there are no longer partisan authored bills. The left tries to govern and the right will only allow super moderate/restricted bills to pass. There are no longer dual-authored bills. SO in effect, the same thing is happening as when Tip and CO. were around.
I agree that a competitive system is important but I disagree that hyper partisan obstruction is ever preferable to cooperation.

I also think it is ridiculous to think we do not need legislation, whether to fund priorities, or to correct prior choices, or to address a changing world, new technology, new realities.

I also think we live in an enormously complex world in which the US has an outsized influence on the direction of how billions of people will live tomorrow. Dysfunction is a major problem for maintaining positive influence.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:29 am As a McCain supporter I remember being shouted down from the kooky lib inlaws for supporting an jerk republican. In the few years that followed, the same group sainted my guy.

They completely forgot what they said in my own dining room.

Whoda thunk it?

I need to break out the old "Sportsmen for McCain" hat.
I agree that there had been little appreciation for those who at least believed in governance through persuasion, compromise, and cooperation.

But that’s no excuse for us to abandon those principles as fundamental prerequisites for support.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:32 am
I also think we live in an enormously complex world in which the US has an outsized influence on the direction of how billions of people will live tomorrow. Dysfunction is a major problem for maintaining positive influence.
Sounds to me like you think the US sending billions overseas is a bad idea too.

And that the government needs to get out of our lives also.

;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:39 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:32 am
Sounds to me like you think the US sending billions overseas is a bad idea too.

And that the government needs to get out of our lives also.

;)
Nope, you must be misreading me.

I’m in favor of robust international engagement. I favor soft power whenever possible, hard when necessary. Whether we like it or not, the world in highly interdependent and we have been enormously successful in structuring that world in a rules based system. That structure is under constant threat and challenge whether bu malign actors or exogenous factors. And of course that influence also means we can make disastrous mistakes whemN we get things wrong.

On the second, that’s closer, as my conservatism is largely libertarian influenced. That tends to mean more liberal views on social issues, eg my wife and I would not have chosen an abortion for birth control if we’d accidentally become pregnant before we were married or prior to intent. But I don’t want government involved in such decisions. And I can also say that it’s outrageous to me that the government is involved with denying procedures to women whose wanted pregnancy has failed…my wife and I suffered through 2 such very traumatic needs. Texas Republicans would have denied removing those failed fetuses?. Good lord.

I’m less bothered by redistribution policy and taxation, but I want effective policy, efficient policy not just what gives a sugar high feel good. I want us to think through unintended consequences. That’s conservative.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

no smoking gun:

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said last week that he had seen “no evidence” that Biden was inappropriately involved in Hunter Biden's business dealings. “If there were a smoking gun I think we'd be talking about it,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Sunday during an interview on “Meet the Press.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/1 ... s-00132184

Republicans can't find anything.

CASE CLOSED.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “POLITICS”