Is Lacrosse an "Aristocrat Sport?"

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: Is Lacrosse an "Aristocrat Sport?"

Post by pcowlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:49 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:43 am
sinman6 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:00 pm Lacrosse is an aristocratic sport, absolutely, and I wouldn’t take anyone seriously who said otherwise. Yes, the game is growing, but its growth is largely confined to wealthy persons in large metropolitan cities. My understanding is that USILA supports the growth of the game through grants, but I have limited insight into that process. Hopefully that process works, and any additional needs are met through private donation. … Hopefully
Agree with this statement.

While on the scholastic level there’s a broader participation due to growth, but on the collegiate level, especially among the top programs it’s a sport for the elite.

Just take a look at the Virginia roster or any other comparable program. Players largely come from upper middle class or wealthy families.

If you’re coming from McDonough, St Anthonys, Rocky Point, St Annes Belfield, Ridgefield, Mountain Lakes, The Taft, Brunswick, Manhasset, St Paul’s, Georgetown Prep, Conestoga, Highland, Menlo School, Gilman, Deerfield, Haverford, then you’re in pretty good financial standing.
Yep. Just look at a college lacrosse roster
That really isn’t true. There are >250 D3 programs in the country. The majority of them have rosters full off middle class public school kids. You can’t equate the roster of UVA with “college roster” and can’t equate who has access to lacrosse to those who end up playing top level D1.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:00 pm
sinman6 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:00 pm Lacrosse is an aristocratic sport, absolutely, and I wouldn’t take anyone seriously who said otherwise. Yes, the game is growing, but its growth is largely confined to wealthy persons in large metropolitan cities. My understanding is that USILA supports the growth of the game through grants, but I have limited insight into that process. Hopefully that process works, and any additional needs are met through private donation. … Hopefully

While on the scholastic level there’s a broader participation due to growth, but on the collegiate level, especially among the top programs it’s a sport for the elite.

Just take a look at the Virginia roster or any other comparable program. Players largely come from upper middle class or wealthy families.

If you’re coming from McDonough, St Anthonys, Rocky Point, St Annes Belfield, Ridgefield, Mountain Lakes, The Taft, Brunswick, Manhasset, St Paul’s, Georgetown Prep, Conestoga, Highland, Menlo School, Gilman, Deerfield, Haverford, then you’re in pretty good financial standing.
That really isn’t true. There are >250 D3 programs in the country. The majority of them have rosters full off middle class public school kids. You can’t equate the roster of UVA with “college roster” and can’t equate who has access to lacrosse to those who end up playing top level D1.
I should have said division 1. More specifically top 25 programs.

Random D3 Roster: https://goyeo.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster

https://godiplomats.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster

A more diverse roster: https://ycpspartans.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:04 pm

I want this kid as goalie!

https://goyeo.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/ ... erman/9498
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:53 pm

Heh. Looking at the historical for him, either a typo (one would hope!) or he put on a freshman 115 rather than 15.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:52 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:44 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:08 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:48 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:12 am
faircornell wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:47 pm While I certainly take on board, and accept, Lawrence Summers' social justice arguments, it is fair and accurate to note that without legacy admissions there really would be not much of Ivy League institutions to be worth debating about currently. Legacy funding (which came far before government funding) built and established these places. As legacies are de-prioritized, it is fair to guess that the 15% of Harvard's 2000 first year class (300 students) either have done some pretty outstanding things thus far in life, or have families who have done some pretty outstanding things for Harvard. To the extent that some of these legacies are "unfair" I imagine that this unfairness is a meaningful life lesson to other students. Also, the number of unfair legacies is certainly much fewer than it was at one time.
I mentioned this before but the irony of bouncing legacies now is it does it at s turn when the vast majority of the benefit of a legacy system has already been extracted. Now that we’re really deep into 3rd/4th generation (what is it, 95% failure rate for 3rd generation family owned businesses?) the benefit of being a under qualified legacy and merely having that sheepskin is so out of touch with ability and accomplishment it’s harder to justify anyways .
I agree with the idea that some of these legacies don't have the spending power of old. My point, anecdotally, is that it's pretty darn competitive to get a legacy admissions preference at an Ivy League university. Perhaps some high current donors offspring fall into the unqualified category, but knowing friends kids who've been accepted as legacies, the vast majority are top notch. I've also known many legacies who've not made it due to the intense competition.
Yeah I already shared my experience w a friend who had named scholarships and meaningful donations to UPenn (possible he got into 8 figures over time) over the years and his kid got denied but is on a full merit ride at Wash U so understand it’s competitive. I’m more pointing out that just when legacy value might extend to non blue blood legacy wealth, which it has historically, is exactly when it gets removed from the system. Almost as if there’s an invisible hand changing the game right when it becomes more meritocratic/broad based beneficiary pool opens up.

But I’m not sure defending it as “it’s still competitive even not if the ultimate competition said institution presents their admission ticket as being publicly” is that persuasive.
I'm not sure that I understand your last paragraph. I do agree with your invisible hand argument. I help friends students with Ivy admissions when I can. I'd venture to say that each school has a few blue blood names that have meaning without the money, but it's a really short list.
Last sentence was just saying let’s not minimize the net benefit to the legacy cohort in a high velocity, high volume, low admit universe where there’s a cluster at the marginal admit point. Just because it’s “only” a tiebreaker among qualified a significant (majority?) amount of the time doesn’t mean it isn’t a massive value to that group.

Thinking from the historically disadvantaged w respect to legacies (disadvantaged is a positive not normative term as used here, it is an advantage for a certain cohort).

As soon as theres some degree of minority second or third generation wealth built up such that they can buy into the table minimum is when everyone else says, “you know, this high buy in game is unfair to some, let’s play craps instead” and they never to get to play that game. The second order unintended downside for those who are designed to benefit from a reduction in legacy benefits. (Tiebreaker in a low acceptance rate world where there’s a ton at the margin is a meaningful benefit)
I guess I'd respond with a few anecdotal points :

1) Legacies from underrepresented minority families are already a reality.
2) When I say short list of names st Harvard, I'm thinking Kennedy , Roosevelt , Lodge, etc.... really small applicant pool.
3) If you read the statements of various Ivy presidents this past week, it's tough to make am argument that these people are defending a byegone WASP hierarchy. They seem quite focused in social justice outcomes.
4) MD76's experience is much more representative of what I've seen, where a student with a legacy also stands out on their own.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Not sure the Long Island Schools belong in this group - The more affluent private schools are not the Top lacrosse schools on Long Island (Portledge, Friends Academy and the Waldorf School) and while the tuition is lower at Chaminade IMHO it is more of an "Aristocratic" school than St Anthony's - if you want to include the publics with the privates and preps I would include Cold Spring Harbor and Garden City before Rocky Point.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:13 pm

Heh. Looking at the historical for him, either a typo (one would hope!) or he put on a freshman 115 rather than 15.
The anti-Jared.

I wanted this kid on the FB team at Bart to come out for Lax, he has 1-2 teammates on the lacrosse team.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... aker/16887
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:26 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:52 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:44 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:08 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:48 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:12 am
faircornell wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:47 pm While I certainly take on board, and accept, Lawrence Summers' social justice arguments, it is fair and accurate to note that without legacy admissions there really would be not much of Ivy League institutions to be worth debating about currently. Legacy funding (which came far before government funding) built and established these places. As legacies are de-prioritized, it is fair to guess that the 15% of Harvard's 2000 first year class (300 students) either have done some pretty outstanding things thus far in life, or have families who have done some pretty outstanding things for Harvard. To the extent that some of these legacies are "unfair" I imagine that this unfairness is a meaningful life lesson to other students. Also, the number of unfair legacies is certainly much fewer than it was at one time.
I mentioned this before but the irony of bouncing legacies now is it does it at s turn when the vast majority of the benefit of a legacy system has already been extracted. Now that we’re really deep into 3rd/4th generation (what is it, 95% failure rate for 3rd generation family owned businesses?) the benefit of being a under qualified legacy and merely having that sheepskin is so out of touch with ability and accomplishment it’s harder to justify anyways .
I agree with the idea that some of these legacies don't have the spending power of old. My point, anecdotally, is that it's pretty darn competitive to get a legacy admissions preference at an Ivy League university. Perhaps some high current donors offspring fall into the unqualified category, but knowing friends kids who've been accepted as legacies, the vast majority are top notch. I've also known many legacies who've not made it due to the intense competition.
Yeah I already shared my experience w a friend who had named scholarships and meaningful donations to UPenn (possible he got into 8 figures over time) over the years and his kid got denied but is on a full merit ride at Wash U so understand it’s competitive. I’m more pointing out that just when legacy value might extend to non blue blood legacy wealth, which it has historically, is exactly when it gets removed from the system. Almost as if there’s an invisible hand changing the game right when it becomes more meritocratic/broad based beneficiary pool opens up.

But I’m not sure defending it as “it’s still competitive even not if the ultimate competition said institution presents their admission ticket as being publicly” is that persuasive.
I'm not sure that I understand your last paragraph. I do agree with your invisible hand argument. I help friends students with Ivy admissions when I can. I'd venture to say that each school has a few blue blood names that have meaning without the money, but it's a really short list.
Last sentence was just saying let’s not minimize the net benefit to the legacy cohort in a high velocity, high volume, low admit universe where there’s a cluster at the marginal admit point. Just because it’s “only” a tiebreaker among qualified a significant (majority?) amount of the time doesn’t mean it isn’t a massive value to that group.

Thinking from the historically disadvantaged w respect to legacies (disadvantaged is a positive not normative term as used here, it is an advantage for a certain cohort).

As soon as theres some degree of minority second or third generation wealth built up such that they can buy into the table minimum is when everyone else says, “you know, this high buy in game is unfair to some, let’s play craps instead” and they never to get to play that game. The second order unintended downside for those who are designed to benefit from a reduction in legacy benefits. (Tiebreaker in a low acceptance rate world where there’s a ton at the margin is a meaningful benefit)
I guess I'd respond with a few anecdotal points :

1) Legacies from underrepresented minority families are already a reality.
2) When I say short list of names st Harvard, I'm thinking Kennedy , Roosevelt , Lodge, etc.... really small applicant pool.
3) If you read the statements of various Ivy presidents this past week, it's tough to make am argument that these people are defending a byegone WASP hierarchy. They seem quite focused in social justice outcomes.
4) MD76's experience is much more representative of what I've seen, where a student with a legacy also stands out on their own.
Not looking to get into a big one in this, I understand legacy benefits are very different at a tuition dependent school like Hobart differently than Harvard (though on a relative level maybe not that different) and I get that the intention is to eradicate an unfair legacy advantage (it’s enough of an advantage to be discussed here and by administrations/boards) but there is an irony. Joe Kennedy had to buy his way into being a name family legacy long after certain others being Irish Catholic. There was plenty of multi generation family names by the time anyone cared about Kennedy and some Indian outpost modern immigrant to the US may never be able to buy their name like that. That’s all.

And the skew or dispersion for #1 is far off proportionately representative.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Jake Pillsbury…..Sierra Canyon….what are the odds?
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

D1, especially ACC, Ivy, B10, Patriot, Big East, are the face of lacrosse and they’re all like UVA.

Hardly anybody follows or cares about D3 lacrosse except mom and pop. Just out of curiosity I pulled an anonymous D3 program up. The Oberlin College Yeomen from Ohio. Granted it’s a fine liberal arts school, but not a lacrosse power.

Not one single player from an Ohio public school. None from Ohio period. Here’s a sample.
Boys Latin, Gilman, Taft School, Northport, Port Washington, Rye, Palos Verdes, Berkeley CA, Friends School MD, Mamaroneck, Avon Old Farms, Middlesex School, Rutgers Prep, Moravian Aca, King School, etc.

If this is the face of Oberlin then you can image it’s no different at Tufts, Amherst, Franklin & Marshall, Williams, Bates, Haverford.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:25 pm

D1, especially ACC, Ivy, B10, Patriot, Big East, are the face of lacrosse and they’re all like UVA.

Hardly anybody follows or cares about D3 lacrosse except mom and pop. Just out of curiosity I pulled an anonymous D3 program up. The Oberlin College Yeomen from Ohio. Granted it’s a fine liberal arts school, but not a lacrosse power.

Not one single player from an Ohio public school. None from Ohio period. Here’s a sample.
Boys Latin, Gilman, Taft School, Northport, Port Washington, Rye, Palos Verdes, Berkeley CA, Friends School MD, Mamaroneck, Avon Old Farms, Middlesex School, Rutgers Prep, Moravian Aca, King School, etc.

If this is the face of Oberlin then you can image it’s no different at Tufts, Amherst, Franklin & Marshall, Williams, Bates, Haverford.
Probably different at Cabrini (22), York, St John Fisher etc. the breadth of D3 offers more of a mix but yeah Kenyon, Oberlin, Centennial and ODAC and liberty leagues along w NESCAC will be different than the USAC, NJAC or E8.

Sam Miller and a kid who graduated who was a stud FO man who started at Bart both ended up there over money - https://sjfathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... t=hometown
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

I also pulled up Oberlin out of the blue!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:00 pm

I also pulled up Oberlin out of the blue!!
This Oberlin?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/us/o ... wsuit.html

Can’t possibly be filled with rich white kids.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And the town has no nightlife unless you’re in Jerry Falwell Jrs party circle!
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:53 pm
https://athletics.aurora.edu/sports/men ... sse/roster

A lot of tony midwestern towns. I believe Fisher Indiana is nice. Cousin lives there.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

they run that town. city?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm

A lot of tony midwestern towns. I believe Fisher Indiana is nice. Cousin lives there.
Is Miamisburg considered tony? I once spent the better part of two winter months there and that’s not the word of use for that “bucolic” suburb of Dayton. Would throw Carbondale IL and Ottawa IL in the same bucket. Basically been to St Elmos in Indianapolis and Ft Wayne and that’s it for In.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm

Is Miamisburg considered tony? I once spent the better part of two winter months there and that’s not the word of use for that “bucolic” suburb of Dayton. Would throw Carbondale IL and Ottawa IL in the same bucket. Basically been to St Elmos in Indianapolis and Ft Wayne and that’s it for In.
Miamisburg is Hillbilly Elegy territory…. Indian Hills would be tony. Montgomery is bucolic…
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Hello? Salisbury??

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”