Air Pollution, Soil Contamination and Water Pollution

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Air Pollution, Soil Contamination and Water Pollution

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

This has not been a hotly debate topic but It seems as though if we are not discussing it then we are pretending to care about climate change. Air, water and soil contamination have been under control but with new leadership under the EPA, there could be rollbacks. For those environmental issues outside of climate change, this may be a good forum to post those observations. I do my part to not contaminate / pollute and we have taken a number of initiatives at my firm to recycle and limit waste as much as possible, but we can always do more.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Re: Air Pollution, Soil Contamination and Water Pollution

Post by youthathletics »

This one has the potential to get messy unless you are in the trenches of building trades. I can tell you with certainty that residential builders are having one helluva time navigating building restriction codes with regards to storm water....primarily from gutters and extensive concrete/asphalt hard-scapes.

New construction requires (to a degree of interpretation) that all storm water must be absorbed within the confines of your lot. I do not know the mathematics behind it, but some homes require that all downspouts lead to a leach/drainfield that can successfully absorb all the watershed form your home. In theory, this may help avoid runoff into tributaries of lakes, rivers, bays, etc. It is very costly, and with a moving target of codes it often costs the builders unforeseen expenses.....the price of running a business. But in the end the cost of owing/building a home is rising.

In the industrial market, the U.S. West Coast and Plains are impacted by trade-winds from far east counties like China, Japan, etc. Because we are "downwind", we are essentially handcuffed. One could easily argue that if we (the USA) ramp up our manufacturing, thus slowing down Far East manufacturing, we could slow the pollution down that impacts our soil, because our pollution regulations are more stringent.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ON the new religion thread, (agw/cc) someone mentioned that there was NO money to be made in making our water and soil safe to co-exist with. I beg to differ.

And....I LOVE every single dollar we spend to clean up the over 1,000 superfund priority sites, and still growing. (about 300 have been "remediated" ) Every single US state and most of the terrortories can claim a superfund site. And why I always bring up GE and cleaning up the Bershires. It's been in litigation for decades.
Speaking of decades, the vast majority of superfund sites are STILL being cleaned up.

For those that ignorantly claim that tRumps epa & scott Pruit are turning its back on the environment, think again. You can research the topic yourself. Not only does Pruits EPA have more superfund sites listed, he wants them cleaned up. NOW. SHifting the governments energy to an existing problem that actually causes harm to humans. It was actually Obama's administration that duh-funded the EPA and reduced its staffing. (Maybe, instead of giving wallstreet banksters Millions, each, in TARP bailout bonuses, we could have used that money to clean up our nations water and soil ???)

Now, if you want to bash tRump's DOJ for approving the Monsanto-Beyer merger, go right ahead.He deserves it for three weeks. This is the stuff that matters, not Stormy or that he's a cad. We know that. YOU don't know THIS:

https://www.farmaid.org/blog/trump-doj- ... y-farmers/

(just b/c TLD and others think our nations soil and waterways are A- ok b/c the lamestream media doesn't discuss/cover it, don't make it so. Like I said, I go to FarmAid pretty much every year. )

So, in short, this VERY important issue is the forest for the trees. Ignored. But you eat and drink it every single day. Yup, so important to have a lawn that looks like Augusta National, what's a lil weedkiller? (even though the instructions are VERY clear not to use near waterways.....oh, never mind, back to the clouds shaped like trees, in the forest )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote:ON the new religion thread, (agw/cc) someone mentioned that there was NO money to be made in making our water and soil safe to co-exist with. I beg to differ.

And....I LOVE every single dollar we spend to clean up the over 1,000 superfund priority sites, and still growing. (about 300 have been "remediated" ) Every single US state and most of the terrortories can claim a superfund site. And why I always bring up GE and cleaning up the Bershires. It's been in litigation for decades.
Speaking of decades, the vast majority of superfund sites are STILL being cleaned up.

For those that ignorantly claim that tRumps epa & scott Pruit are turning its back on the environment, think again. You can research the topic yourself. Not only does Pruits EPA have more superfund sites listed, he wants them cleaned up. NOW. SHifting the governments energy to an existing problem that actually causes harm to humans. It was actually Obama's administration that duh-funded the EPA and reduced its staffing. (Maybe, instead of giving wallstreet banksters Millions, each, in TARP bailout bonuses, we could have used that money to clean up our nations water and soil ???)

Now, if you want to bash tRump's DOJ for approving the Monsanto-Beyer merger, go right ahead.He deserves it for three weeks. This is the stuff that matters, not Stormy or that he's a cad. We know that. YOU don't know THIS:

https://www.farmaid.org/blog/trump-doj- ... y-farmers/

(just b/c TLD and others think our nations soil and waterways are A- ok b/c the lamestream media doesn't discuss/cover it, don't make it so. Like I said, I go to FarmAid pretty much every year. )

So, in short, this VERY important issue is the forest for the trees. Ignored. But you eat and drink it every single day. Yup, so important to have a lawn that looks like Augusta National, what's a lil weedkiller? (even though the instructions are VERY clear not to use near waterways.....oh, never mind, back to the clouds shaped like trees, in the forest )
Where did I say it’s AOK? What I said was nobody is claiming it’s a hoax. There is a contaminated site in my town being remediated. Have grown some plants to pull some of the contaminants out. I am not naive. Our real estate group engages firms virtually every day. We also have exposure to a sector heavily involved in that business. I am not as interested in following it as I am climate change debates. Air pollution, contaminated soil and water pollution are topics I run across weekly...not something I am following with my “leisure” time.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”