Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DMac

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by DMac »

Thanks, TLD, was many decades ago, sorry about your mom, lucky to have got many years.
I get it all, I think, I'm as baffled as to how to keep guns out of the hands of people who are
going to kill others with them as everyone else is (repealing the second amendment and confiscating all the guns is just completely unrealistic), and I sure don't see the availability changing
much in the near future. Fact remains, fortunately, that the vast majority of people who have
availibility to guns (virtually all of us) don't kill other people with them. We're really amazingly
good with them when you look at the numbers. Hundreds of millions of them, tens of thousands
of deaths. I'm not so sure lack of availabilty to a gun would change suicide rates all that much,
and when you take that number out of annual gun deaths it gets the number closer to 20K, but
the number of OD deaths might shoot up (irresistable) to close to 100K. Aint got no answers.
LandM

Post by LandM »

ardilla,
Walked the historical parts of most major cities including Philadelphia, even post Katrina. Been in or played in every major college football venue. Eggs thrown at the bus and people flipping you off never bothered. Now to tie back to sensible gun control, the flipping drunk nutballs (say 5% of the fans) and the over anxiety school admin creates the, "you should not be there after dark" rule. Wife worries not me. Fully equipped to take care of my wife and self......who needs the hassle though. Believe it when I say Alabama fans are awesome unless you are from Auburn or LSU :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 pm Thanks, TLD, was many decades ago, sorry about your mom, lucky to have got many years.
I get it all, I think, I'm as baffled as to how to keep guns out of the hands of people who are
going to kill others with them as everyone else is (repealing the second amendment and confiscating all the guns is just completely unrealistic), and I sure don't see the availability changing
much in the near future. Fact remains, fortunately, that the vast majority of people who have
availibility to guns (virtually all of us) don't kill other people with them. We're really amazingly
good with them when you look at the numbers. Hundreds of millions of them, tens of thousands
of deaths. I'm not so sure lack of availabilty to a gun would change suicide rates all that much,
and when you take that number out of annual gun deaths it gets the number closer to 20K, but
the number of OD deaths might shoot up (irresistable) to close to 100K. Aint got no answers.
Do you personally know 3 people that pulled a weapon out to stop a robbery? Or do you know three people personally murdered with a fire arm?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

No on both counts, don't know what you're getting at here.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am No on both counts, don't know what you're getting at here.
That the idea of having a weapon will thwart crime is over blown.... Senseless gun deaths is a bigger problem. Criminals are getting guns from somewhere. Cut it off at the supply. Hunting and shooting for fun can continue. Nobody is talking about repealing the 2nd amendment. Assault weapons and 100 round magazines should not have a place in a civilized society. If a person wants to shoot assault weapons for fun, rent one and leave it behind.... gunshare.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am
DMac wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am No on both counts, don't know what you're getting at here.
That the idea of having a weapon will thwart crime is over blown.... Senseless gun deaths is a bigger problem. Criminals are getting guns from somewhere. Cut it off at the supply. Hunting and shooting for fun can continue. Nobody is talking about repealing the 2nd amendment. Assault weapons and 100 round magazines should not have a place in a civilized society. If a person wants to shoot assault weapons for fun, rent one and leave it behind.... gunshare.
Still not getting your point, TLD, don't get what this has to do with anything:
"Do you personally know 3 people that pulled a weapon out to stop a robbery? Or do you know three people personally murdered with a fire arm?"
Sure, the idea of having a weapon will thwart crime is overblown, but then again, so is writing more laws.
Indeed criminals are getting guns from somewhere (and they don't care about any laws) but cutting off the supply is the part no one has been able to figure out yet.
No, nobody is talking about repealing the second amendment, and I think the liklihood of that happening anytime soon is slim to none (not so sure about 50 years from now though) but isn't that the answer, that no one wants to talk about, that would have the greatest impact on gun availability? What else is working?
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:30 am
"Do you personally know 3 people that pulled a weapon out to stop a robbery? Or do you know three people personally murdered with a fire arm?"
Sure, the idea of having a weapon will thwart crime is overblown, but then again, so is writing more laws.
Indeed criminals are getting guns from somewhere (and they don't care about any laws) but cutting off the supply is the part no one has been able to figure out yet.
No, nobody is talking about repealing the second amendment, and I think the liklihood of that happening anytime soon is slim to none (not so sure about 50 years from now though) but isn't that the answer, that no one wants to talk about, that would have the greatest impact on gun availability? What else is working?
Without a strong gun lobby, we would have had less guns on the street. There isn’t one single answer but starting with the supply is a step in the right direction. Changing the culture would also help. It’s no coincidence that countries with fewer guns have fewer people in prison....fewer does not = none.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Trinity wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 pm Trained teachers were going in next.
Our brilliant Sec Ed, Betsy Devos aked Trump to approve her recommendation to arm teachers.She opined it would come in handy should a bear wander into a classroom. 🙄
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:39 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 pm Trained teachers were going in next.
Our brilliant Sec Ed, Betsy Devos asked Trump to approve her recommendation to arm teachers.She opined it would come in handy should a bear wander into a classroom. 🙄

Perhaps she's a fan of Wilie Shakes's "The Winters Tale?" "Exit pursued by a bear". IMHO the bard's best line.👍
laxman3221

Post by laxman3221 »

We took a new shooter out. My boys girlfriend. She had sensible and exceptional gun control. Ringing the steel often at 100 yards her first time out.

Vail Shootout Champion 2017, 2018
Lake Placid Classic Champion 2018, 2019
Florida Lacrosse Classic Champion 2018 X2, 2019 x2
Who doesn't love ice cream!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 pm
Without a strong gun lobby, we would have had less guns on the street. There isn’t one single answer but starting with the supply is a step in the right direction. Changing the culture would also help. It’s no coincidence that countries with fewer guns have fewer people in prison....fewer does not = none.
Guns aren't the reason we lead the world in prison pupulation, we like putting people in jail. I don't quite get it, but thowing people in a cell for awhile is the conventional thinkining as to how to deal with a drug addict and other disorders/behaviors/shortcomings. Personally, I think there are better appraoches than throwing people in the prison population to teach them a lesson, but hey, the prison business knows a whole lot better than I, I guess.
https://archive.attn.com/stories/1382/f ... on-problem
Last edited by DMac on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 pm
Guns aren't the reason we lead the world in prison pupulation.
https://archive.attn.com/stories/1382/f ... on-problem
Yes. Work on those things too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

something needs to change..... after we reduce the availability of guns and if crime and deaths by firearms go down, we can leave the changes in place. If no impact, we can go back to the way to was...... seems reasonable.
laxman3221

Post by laxman3221 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm
LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:01 pm TLD,
Believe the guy in Philly had a very long and distinguished criminal record. We have laws, maybe we should start enforcing them instead of the hall passes and multiple chances. I am sure the Philly guy was just a lovely boy, loved by all, attended church on Sunday and was a role model for everyone. First time drug offenders selling a little crack or weed get treated worse then the gun offender. How about we work on enforcing the laws in place and tweak the one's that need to be tweaked.
I agree on the drug dealer in Philly. Let’s put a lovely boy like that away for a long time. Didn’t that boy in Philly have a long gun or did he hit six cops with rocks? I believe we have gun rights. How many and what type may be a different story. If we reduce the availability of weapons in the country and responsible gun owners are ticked.... BFD
Dems holding a rally.
Vail Shootout Champion 2017, 2018
Lake Placid Classic Champion 2018, 2019
Florida Lacrosse Classic Champion 2018 X2, 2019 x2
Who doesn't love ice cream!
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump wants to reopen Willowbrook and Pilgrim State. Fox fans should ask Geraldo how those places worked. I once arrested a guy who gave his home address as Creedmore Psychopatrick.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

laxman3221 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm We took a new shooter out. My boys girlfriend. She had sensible and exceptional gun control. Ringing the steel often at 100 yards her first time out.

Whats with the clear receiver?
LandM

Post by LandM »

DMac,
Yesterday while having some fun, my brother in law said he Swift boated out of a carrier? Three SEALs and Marine Recon. Could you guys do that?

Laxman- I think I am getting to the age nothing surprises me anymore. My sister who is all of 4’8, got all the looks and weighs less then a buck is getting qualified. Everyone she knows has done there time but never thought I would hear that. Rationale and Responsible.
LandM

Post by LandM »

TLD,
Mental health is a serious problem. My sister in law is Bi-Polar. On meds life is good off meds everyone knows. My 91 year old father in law has built Fort Knox. Imagine living like that. Successful guy, done well and has a restraining order as do we and her brother against her.

Explain this to me - she teaches 1st grade in the Phoenix area school system. She lives couch to couch always asking for money. Is that someone you want your little ones being teacher by? Welcome to rights, rules and laws
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:40 am TLD,
Mental health is a serious problem. My sister in law is Bi-Polar. On meds life is good off meds everyone knows. My 91 year old father in law has built Fort Knox. Imagine living like that. Successful guy, done well and has a restraining order as do we and her brother against her.

Explain this to me - she teaches 1st grade in the Phoenix area school system. She lives couch to couch always asking for money. Is that someone you want your little ones being teacher by? Welcome to rights, rules and laws
Rules and laws change.
DMac

Post by DMac »

LandM wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 am DMac,
Yesterday while having some fun, my brother in law said he Swift boated out of a carrier? Three SEALs and Marine Recon. Could you guys do that?
I don't know what he means by that, while there's an elevator on a carrier,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGu1L2p6njk
it wouldn't take a boat to water level to launch. It might have been an LSD cuz those ships can do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8cEzVbk9vU
Swiftboats aren't really sea going vessels, more along the coast and in rivers. It would make more sense that they were doing operations with an LSD than a carrier as carriers just aren't equipped to carry and launch a swiftboat.
I did a short stint on the Portland, home ported in Little Creek, Va...was a cool boat and a SEAL team came out with us on one of our short training type cruises (couple of weeks), that's more the kind of boat they'd be doing operations on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Portland_(LSD-37)
Holy cow, I see she had one of those burials at sea too.
Guess if anyone ever asks me if I was on a ship that sunk,
I can say yes. ;)
Here's a little more, SEALs..amphibiuos...and these are more amphibious type ships.
https://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_disp ... =1000&ct=4
old salt

Post by old salt »

Sounds like one of our big deck Amphib Assault ships, LHD/LHA
They look like an aircraft carrier & are as big as WW II vintage carriers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp-clas ... sault_ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America-c ... sault_ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarawa-cl ... sault_ship
They have a flight deck & hangar bay full length of ship, plus a well deck to carry & launch landing craft, or high speed, air cushion LCACs.
They carry helos & VSTOL jets (AV-8B Harriers or new F-35Bs) & a Marine Expeditionary Unit which would include Recon Marines.
They's also have SEALs embarked.

Return to “POLITICS”