Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:51 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 am
hsllax wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:40 pm Can we guess? North, Ortega, Petty, Trenchard, Cooper, Moreno, Aldave. Only considering rising sophs/ juniors who are impact players in the ACC. Feel free to delete if speculation is not allowed.
These are all interesting names. What about them makes you wonder if they might transfer?

In general, what makes a player transfer? I know some of the reasons have to be improving their chance to win a national championship (so they transfer to Maryland, of course. [Siverson and Evans to name a couple recent transfers]) Some transfer for their 5th year for academic reasons, like McNulty to JHU from Princeton.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.
I don’t think McNulty was a transfer. She used her fourth year of eligibility during her first year of graduate school. The Ivy doesn’t allow a redshirt year.
You’re right, now that you mention it. I misapplied her situation.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 pm Yes that’s def true. But curiously I have heard from many parents of players that KAH is nasty as can be and plays mind game so with her players
but I don’t see anyone transferring from NU?
Agree it is much easier to put up with the BS if you are at a great academic school. A lot of girls aren't getting playing time and move to another situation
and are on the field. They only play for so long -wasting time on the bench is not fun.
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

Not sure why everyone is tip toeing around this - Charlotte North is transferring from Duke to Boston College.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Delco Transplant wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:25 am Not sure why everyone is tip toeing around this - Charlotte North is transferring from Duke to Boston College.
That was my rumor, but I didnt want to be the one to bring it out....Where did you see that? Social Media?
wlaxnut

Charlotte North shipping up to Boston (College)

Post by wlaxnut »

I am intrigued about this. I wonder how Ms. North will adapt to Boston College. I’ve never seen a BC player with warpaint but I’ve only been watching women’s lacrosse for 6 years. I’ve never seen anyone on Maryland or Michigan with warpaint either. I wonder if that is a team policy. I also wonder about her post goal celebrations, and if they will continue in the same way when she gets to BC. No doubt she will help the offense. I wonder if she will be transformed to a ferocious rider/re-defender under coach Acacia’s tutelage. Ultimately though, she won’t be enough for BC to seriously challenge the Tar Heels in the ACC or Maryland nationally.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Elon’s Kaley Thompson—the CAA Rookie of the Year—has transfered to Michigan. The midfielder/attacker stands 5’7”

Kaley “had a standout rookie season, starting 16 of 17 games she played in. Finished the season with 33 goals and seven assists for 40 points. Also had a team-best 61 draw controls with 16 ground balls.”

Looks like a nice pickup for Hannah Nielsen and the Wolverines.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Sorry to hear that for Elon. They came out of the gates hot a few years back, but haven’t made much noise since. 10-23 the last two seasons. Interested to see how losing her impacts 2020 season.
wlaxnut

Boston College adds two more

Post by wlaxnut »

Goaltender Rachel Hall joins ​Boston College​ from the University of Oregon where she led the country in saves with 246 through only 18 games as a rookie. The Cypress, Texas native capped off her freshman season with a .498 save percentage en route to earning Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors. Averaging 13.67 saves per game​.​ Hall put up double-digit saves in 14 games over her freshman season and was most recently named to the USA U19 Team where she will compete in the World Cup Championship this summer.

"Rachel is coming off a tremendous year and will exceed expectations at the upcoming 2019 World Cup Championship; we are thrilled to have been chosen by Rachel and her family to now join our program. She is the type of goalie that rarely comes around and we're honored and excited to be coaching her. We look for Rachel to add depth and national team experience to our already battle tested roster," added Walker-Weinstein.

5'9"​ ​attacker ​Bridget​ ​Simmons​,​ ​formerly of U Albany, hails from Milton, Mass​achusetts​.​ ​Simmons was the leading scorer for Notre Dame Academy as a senior, putting up 50 goals and 10 assists. ​She will begin the 2020 season as a junior.​

"We are so excited to add to the depth of our roster with Bridget," commented Walker-Weinstein. "She will be a great addition to the attack and we look forward to integrating her into the system. She is a great person, humble yet hungry, and we are excited for what the future holds​.​"
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Well, that makes 3 transfers to BC, correct? Not sure the doom and gloom of the vacuum left by the big three is as bad today as it was a month ago. As I said before, BC will be just fine.....
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm Well, that makes 3 transfers to BC, correct? Not sure the doom and gloom of the vacuum left by the big three is as bad today as it was a month ago. As I said before, BC will be just fine.....
Not just the vacuum left by the Big Three (on offense), they lost pretty much their whole defense. Gone are stalwarts Elizabeth Miller, Christina Walsh, Hannah Hyatt and Brooke Troy. No defenders among the three transfers.

Charlotte North isn’t nearly as rounded an offensive player as any of the big three. Perhaps coach Acacia will get more out of her, but up till now she has been mainly a goal scorer. She will definitely help on the offense, but BC’s offensive production will not equal the length and breath of what it was when Apuzzo, Kent and Arsenault routed and romped.

BC's "fine" will not put them in with the elite next year, and perhaps for years to come. They'll be solid 2nd tier, but they won't seriously challenge for the ACC Conference Championship, or the National Championship.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

With classes beginning in a month, does anyone know if there is a cutoff date for transferring students?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm BC's "fine" will not put them in with the elite next year, and perhaps for years to come. They'll be solid 2nd tier, but they won't seriously challenge for the ACC Conference Championship, or the National Championship.
Not all elite players and superstars began by starting every game as a freshman (or a sophomore) or winning conference rookie of the year awards. I'm sure AWW has plenty of talent flying under the radar that got to spend a year or two waiting in the wings and training every day with the "Big 3". Arsenault herself was virtually unknown until her junior year. I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I expect, a few BC players to have breakout seasons. It happens every year, on many teams.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:39 pm With classes beginning in a month, does anyone know if there is a cutoff date for transferring students?
I don't believe there is a month during the summer as many can transfer mid-year. I believe Cece Finney spent the fall (not sure if she was there the entire semester) at UF before transferring to JHU and competing for Hopkins that same spring. Most transfers probably happen over the summer for the sake of logistics to avoid the headache of transferring credits that are mid-semester and partial tuition reimbursements. I don't know too much about it, just speculating. Transfers probably have to wait for the start of a new semester before they can fully matriculate. I'm sure there are many other factors I haven't considered or are ignorant to. Speaking from a strictly academic point of view, I believe many schools will accept qualified students late in the summer and possibly even early August simply because they want your money. Not sure how athletics and athletic scholarships would come into play.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm Well, that makes 3 transfers to BC, correct? Not sure the doom and gloom of the vacuum left by the big three is as bad today as it was a month ago. As I said before, BC will be just fine.....
transferring within the acc should have her sitting out a year. is there a press release one way or the other?
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Charlotte North is definitely sitting out a year; Don't know about the other two.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Doid23 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:57 pm Charlotte North is definitely sitting out a year; Don't know about the other two.
Source or speculation?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm
BC's "fine" will not put them in with the elite next year, and perhaps for years to come. They'll be solid 2nd tier, but they won't seriously challenge for the ACC Conference Championship, or the National Championship.
BC was relevant at the elite level before last year or the year before that (and that wasnt with the big three at their god-like status)....wlaxphan makes a good point. You could have All-American talent sitting on the bench behind the "Big three". No one knows. I know you are pretty demonstrative on your opinions, but I will state , again, right now, BC will be fine. Will they be in the finals 4 years in a row, I doubt it, but your fall off the precipice just because they had players graduate may be short sighted. As you know, I have no dog in that kennel...I really don't care, but, it is good for the D1 Lax to have a BC as an alternate to the usual suspects, so I will continue to be bullish on them. In a year you may tell me I told you so, but I still think that the BC program is more than what they lost.
Turtles Lax

Don’t worry about Boston College...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...they will be just fine.

Coaches like Coach Acacia are concerned with the players they have NOW...NOT THOSE WHO GRADUATED. :roll:

With that in mind, Your Maryland Terrapins were undefeated (for the first time since 2001) whilst winning the Natty ‘Ship in 2017. That was the season AFTER the GOAT and Alice Mercer graduated.

Peace, out.

TL.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm
Doid23 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:57 pm Charlotte North is definitely sitting out a year; Don't know about the other two.
Source or speculation?
US Lacrosse Magazine updated their article with the news that she will indeed be sitting a year

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... achel-hall
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm BC's "fine" will not put them in with the elite next year, and perhaps for years to come. They'll be solid 2nd tier, but they won't seriously challenge for the ACC Conference Championship, or the National Championship.
Not all elite players and superstars began by starting every game as a freshman (or a sophomore) or winning conference rookie of the year awards. I'm sure AWW has plenty of talent flying under the radar that got to spend a year or two waiting in the wings and training every day with the "Big 3". Arsenault herself was virtually unknown until her junior year. I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I expect, a few BC players to have breakout seasons. It happens every year, on many teams.
I agree. I would also not be surprised at some breakout players next year or the year following. But we're not going to see the likes of those three on one team again in a long time, let alone BC.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”