Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm Well, the thrill of the free agent season has come and gone for Johns Hopkins. Coach Petro should be praised for giving it the good ol’ college try for Chris Gray and Chase Scanlon.

No matter ... Petro has assembled a team that is deep with young talent, with more on the way. The entering freshman class is looking and sounding better than ever. Next year’s class may be even better.

Not sure if anyone knows yet whether Foley and Concannon are returning next season. Blue Jays have talent all over the field even if they don’t.

I think Coach Pietramala needs to do a much better job with the defense and find some more studs for SSDM. Goalie play needs to improve, too. Still, Hopkins is loaded with talent. If the team can recommit itself to winning (working as hard as Joey Epstein would be a good start), the Blue Jays could be a contenda’ in 2020.

New decade soon! Go Blue Jays!

DocBarrister 8-)
Concannon is returning, Foley I am still unsure about. I don't know if no news on that front is good news or bad news. I have no idea about Coulter. I suspect there are people here lurking who know these answers, but are not sharing for whatever reason.

The more I've seen of Angelus, the more I believe he could cut it as a collegiate midfielder, at least to start...he is a natural X attackman but he's fast and athletic enough to play a little bit of middie. Got some Cody Radz to his game. He is a capable dodger from the wing and up top, even if that's not where he initiated from most in high school. I think he'll find a spot on the field in one way or another.

I've never seen this Seay kid from Bellarmine play, but 30 goals as a freshman out of the midfield and a biology/pre-med major...Hopkins would appear to be a good fit.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Angelus looks like a clone of Joey Epstein. Would be a waste to have him at middie. Smith has learned to be a good midfielder. Let him stay there IMHO.

Seay looks like a very good midfielder, but he took a lot of shots and had a lower shot% and SOG% than what we might want to see, and against weaker competition.

Having said that, I see no reason why Seay couldn’t be a 20 goal, 10 assist midfielder. Hopkins could really use a midfielder like him. Plus, unlike communications :roll: , biology is a strong major at Johns Hopkins.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:25 pm Angelus looks like a clone of Joey Epstein. Would be a waste to have him at middie.
It would not be a waste to have him at middie if the alternative is that he doesn't play at all.

Smith played well down the stretch last season, but he was essentially playing the role of a finishing crease attackman who just happened to come in through the box. Outside of a couple shots on the run down the alley, he didn't do much indicative of the midfield position. I expect Smith will go back down to his natural attack position as the righty finisher, with Epstein behind the cage and Williams on the left wing. As a full-time player and beneficiary of slides to Epstein, Forry is looking at a 40-goal campaign. Angelus is quicker than Smith and I think would translate better as a midfielder. While he shares a few things in common with Epstein—namely a nice change-of-direction move—I would not call them "clones," and if they were, that means Angelus should be able to handle playing some midfield if necessary.

I don't know where Murphy fits into all this...that third attack position should be interesting. As a senior captain coming off a 20-goal season I'd think Forry is the leader in the clubhouse but like many have said, Benson will probably get creative and find ways to put all these guys on the field in different spots. While there's intriguing depth on attack, none of it solves the problem of the lack of athleticism, strength, and downhill dodging/shooting out of the midfield. Even if Evan Zinn makes the leap and DeSimone rounds back into form, we still need help there. Either need 1-2 of these relatively unknown freshmen to make a real impact or hope there are other transfer options. Last I heard James Avanzato and Jeremy Magno were both in the transfer portal, in addition to Seay. Avanzato's career has been derailed by an ACL injury his freshman year but he was an UAAA and an extremely prolific scorer at Jacob Giacalone's alma mater, Sachem North. Magno had 14 goals in 13 games for a bad Harvard team last year and is also a former UAAA.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:25 pm Angelus looks like a clone of Joey Epstein. Would be a waste to have him at middie.
It would not be a waste to have him at middie if the alternative is that he doesn't play at all.

Smith played well down the stretch last season, but he was essentially playing the role of a finishing crease attackman who just happened to come in through the box. Outside of a couple shots on the run down the alley, he didn't do much indicative of the midfield position. I expect Smith will go back down to his natural attack position as the righty finisher, with Epstein behind the cage and Williams on the left wing. As a full-time player and beneficiary of slides to Epstein, Forry is looking at a 40-goal campaign. Angelus is quicker than Smith and I think would translate better as a midfielder. While he shares a few things in common with Epstein—namely a nice change-of-direction move—I would not call them "clones," and if they were, that means Angelus should be able to handle playing some midfield if necessary.

I don't know where Murphy fits into all this...that third attack position should be interesting. As a senior captain coming off a 20-goal season I'd think Forry is the leader in the clubhouse but like many have said, Benson will probably get creative and find ways to put all these guys on the field in different spots. While there's intriguing depth on attack, none of it solves the problem of the lack of athleticism, strength, and downhill dodging/shooting out of the midfield. Even if Evan Zinn makes the leap and DeSimone rounds back into form, we still need help there. Either need 1-2 of these relatively unknown freshmen to make a real impact or hope there are other transfer options. Last I heard James Avanzato and Jeremy Magno were both in the transfer portal, in addition to Seay. Avanzato's career has been derailed by an ACL injury his freshman year but he was an UAAA and an extremely prolific scorer at Jacob Giacalone's alma mater, Sachem North. Magno had 14 goals in 13 games for a bad Harvard team last year and is also a former UAAA.
I hear what you’re saying, but there is no way Angelus would see a lot of time at midfield until he learns to play defense, which will take a long time. We have seen that movie before.

Let Murphy and Angelus platoon at attack, their natural position. Don’t waste most of their season teaching them to play defense—a complete waste of their time and talent. Start them right away together at the third attack position vacated by Marr.

I’m sick and tired of seeing converted attackmen at midfield. Play the d%mn attackmen at attack, and play the d%mn backlog of bench-warming midfielders at midfield. Radical idea, I know, but who knows, it might actually work. :roll:

DocBarrister (radical) 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

I hear what you’re saying, but there is no way Angelus would see a lot of time at midfield until he learns to play defense, which will take a long time. We have seen that movie before.

Let Murphy and Angelus platoon at attack, their natural position. Don’t waste most of their season teaching them to play defense—a complete waste of their time and talent. Start them right away together at the third attack position vacated by Marr.

I’m sick and tired of seeing converted attackmen at midfield. Play the d%mn attackmen at attack, and play the d%mn backlog of bench-warming midfielders at midfield. Radical idea, I know, but who knows, it might actually work. :roll:

DocBarrister (radical) 8-)
None of the converted attackmen playing "midfield" can play defense.

Anyway, none of this really matters unless we find a goalie and some decent SSDM play.

On the bright side, I heard some somewhat positive news from someone yesterday: "You are going to like Jacob Brunner. I have seen his club team compete many times and he has stood out. He has the size and athleticism of a prototypical D1 midfielder. Always dodges with his head up. Unfortunately there is always a bit of a roll of the dice with the kids from out west and you never really know if the competition out there will have prepared them for the rigors of a conference like the Big Ten. You could end up with a Bubba Fairman, or you could end up with someone who probably should have gone D3. It is a wide range of outcomes."
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm Well, the thrill of the free agent season has come and gone for Johns Hopkins. Coach Petro should be praised for giving it the good ol’ college try for Chris Gray and Chase Scanlon.

No matter ... Petro has assembled a team that is deep with young talent, with more on the way. The entering freshman class is looking and sounding better than ever. Next year’s class may be even better.

Not sure if anyone knows yet whether Foley and Concannon are returning next season. Blue Jays have talent all over the field even if they don’t.

I think Coach Pietramala needs to do a much better job with the defense and find some more studs for SSDM. Goalie play needs to improve, too. Still, Hopkins is loaded with talent. If the team can recommit itself to winning (working as hard as Joey Epstein would be a good start), the Blue Jays could be a contenda’ in 2020.

DocBarrister 8-)
I hope you weren't driving while you wrote this. Aside from Epstein and maybe zinn given their performance at hop to date, there's not one player on that entire roster I feel is at a memorial day winning level week in week out going into fall ball.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:49 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
I hope you weren't driving while you wrote this. Aside from Epstein and maybe zinn given their performance at hop to date, there's not one player on that entire roster I feel is at a memorial day winning level week in week out going into fall ball.
The 2019 team was good enough to beat Maryland (twice), take Final Four Penn State to OT, and beat UNC and Princeton. Team was relatively young.

Lots of good young talent on this team. The classes that entered/will enter in 2018, 2019, and 2020 are going to make some noise.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:22 pm The 2019 team was good enough to beat Maryland (twice), take Final Four Penn State to OT, and beat UNC and Princeton. Team was relatively young.

Lots of good young talent on this team. The classes that entered/will enter in 2018, 2019, and 2020 are going to make some noise.
Drinking some Blu kool-aid served by Petro you are

Hopkins was actually not that young
Attack - Senior/Junior/Freshman (AND obviously the freshman was the team's best player by a country mile)
1st Mid-field - Senior (Junior Eligible)/Junior/Sophomore
Defense - Senior (Junior Eligible maybe)/Junior/Junior
LSM - Senior/Sophomore
SSDM - Senior/Junior (with a smattering of a senior (junior eligible))
Goalie - Sophomore
F/O - Sophomore/Freshman

Where's the youth - aside from goalie and face-off? Only one other freshman - Zinn - received real significant time - when it started to get warmer - Blondell saw some runs at LSM but that's about it. Cattoni was playing until injury. 15 freshman on the roster -3 played real minutes and one of those was a face-off kid - would have been 4 if Cattoni had stayed healthy

Looking at 2020
Attack - Senior/likely Senior/Sophomore
1st mid-field (I'll say the hammer falls on Benson's head and he starts Zinn - Senior/Junior/Sophomore
Defense (I'll assume Foley is back) - Senior/Senior/Senior
LSM - Junior/Sophomore
SSDM - Senior/maybe another Senior/?
Goalie - if Giacalone wins the job - Senior (junior eligible)
F/O - Junior/Sophomore

Oh - second mid-field will likely have 2 juniors on it

You were saying something about YOUNG talent?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I think both things can be true—the roster top to bottom last year was not quite as young as Petro would have us believe, and there is at least some "good young talent" as Doc said that is playing, not playing, and yet to play. Epstein and Zinn are the obvious ones, but Narewski came in and made an impact, and for the sake of argument we'll throw Cattoni there because it looked like he was going to be a contributor before the injury. That's four immediate impact players in the freshman class—not a bad number, IMO, and who knows if Blondell, Mabbett, McManus or anyone else will see increased roles down the line. I would assume so. This class coming in does not have any "superstars," but we could see some guys contribute right away at a number of positions, including SSDM. And then everyone has heard about the 2020 class, hopefully they don't make us all seem crazy but that's certainly a possibility.

The issue last year IMO was not overall youth but inexperience at a specific area of the field: midfield, which is probably the place where it hurts you the most to be inexperienced. You had two guys at the offense midfield returning who had any actual D1 midfield experience, one of them a sophomore who was suddenly zapped of his effectiveness as a dodger and shooter, which of course we'll have to hope changes next year. The rest of the midfield was a rotating cast of converted attackmen (sophomores and a junior) and freshmen. So the midfield was both inexperienced and young. Not to mention SSDM—yes you had a senior and a junior returning but to win in May you need 4-5 guys there. Behind those two guys were a transfer playing a new position who has barely ever seen the field, a freshman playing a new position, and, finally at the end of the season, a senior who has barely played his whole career.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:27 am You were saying something about YOUNG talent?
Hey, they are all young compared to Doc and me. :lol:
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The reality is - IMO - is that if you removed the generational play of Epstein - this year's freshmen class would be considered meh to below meh - with only hope for a few - and as a Wall St. trader once told me "Hope is a $h!++y Hedge"
- Narewski looks to have some potential but he won only 51% of his face-offs - should get better - we'll see
- Zinn scored what - 5 goals? Shot 18%? now I am in the camp that he sorely needs to play and they made a mistake shelving him for a while after the gaffe in the Syracuse game - but these are not the stats of the 7th ranked freshman in the country
Cattoni - small - worth noting that 2 of his 3 goals were scored when Hopkins was trailing by at least 7 goals and the 3rd was on man-up

Other than that - bupcus/zilch/zero - couple cameos by Blondell and McManus
That's not a great class - not even a good class - until you put Epstein there

Incoming class - who exactly is going to play? If Blondell plays - no room at the Inn for LSM - certainly no room on close if Foley returns
Maybe one spot on the mid-field if Smith moves to attack but - for example - what if the pre-med fit with Seay is actually a thing? - then there's no room and you have Cattoni returning
And the what about your all airport team of sophomores - Mabbett/Lily/Degnon?
If Coulter returns you have 2 seniors at SSDM - need three - will one of the freshmen beat out McManus?

Best hope for the freshmen
Murphy on EMO if he is the shooter some say he is
One of the two "excels in between the lines" middies plays some at SSDM
Foley does not return and it bumps the line up

This is a fairly experienced team where there will be significant turnover in the '21 season - youth is no excuse
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:51 am The reality is - IMO - is that if you removed the generational play of Epstein - this year's freshmen class would be considered meh to below meh - with only hope for a few - and as a Wall St. trader once told me "Hope is a $h!++y Hedge"
- Narewski looks to have some potential but he won only 51% of his face-offs - should get better - we'll see
- Zinn scored what - 5 goals? Shot 18%? now I am in the camp that he sorely needs to play and they made a mistake shelving him for a while after the gaffe in the Syracuse game - but these are not the stats of the 7th ranked freshman in the country
Cattoni - small - worth noting that 2 of his 3 goals were scored when Hopkins was trailing by at least 7 goals and the 3rd was on man-up

Other than that - bupcus/zilch/zero - couple cameos by Blondell and McManus
That's not a great class - not even a good class - until you put Epstein there
I think you may be overestimating the contributions of previous freshmen classes because that seems right about the average to me—certainly well above average when you factor Epstein in. You can't really factor him out IMO but for the sake of argument we'll say he's an outlier.

Take our rising seniors—current major contributors are Williams, Smith, Rapine, Colwell, Hubler, possibly Giacalone if he wins the goalie job and perhaps a little bit of Stagnitta if he finds more time at middie. So that's 5 definite big-time important guys with the possibility of maybe a couple more. Seems like a solid senior class to me. But how many of them were contributing as freshmen? Williams had 10 points on 18% shooting as an occasional attackman—worse than Zinn's first year certainly when you factor Zinn's contributions to the wings/transition especially at the end of the year. Hubler, Giacalone, and Stags were complete non-entities. Colwell was a man-down specialist. Rapine and Smith of course were major contributors. So that's 2 big-time guys, 2 more who got some PT and had somewhat complimentary roles. 4 total—probably more impactful overall than the Epstein class, but not by that much, really.

And then you have look at the rising juniors. Today we'd call Deso, Reinson, Keogh, Baskin, Prouty, Darby contributors with perhaps a light sprinkle of Shilling if you're being very generous. Again, though, how many of those guys were impact players as freshmen? Probably only DeSimone and Reinson, right? Darby didn't play. Keogh and Baskin COMBINED for 5 goals. Keogh had the same amount of goals as Mabbett did last year with 100 times the PT. Prouty faced off at 33% as the emergency #2 FOGO, taking something like 4 draws per game on average. There were 5 games in which he didn't appear at all and 4 others where he took 2 or fewer draws. You can argue whether or not that counts as impactful but I'd say not really.

Bottom line, the last three years of freshmen contributors:

2018 - Epstein, Zinn, Narewski, and Cattoni likely would have remained a second-line middie
2017 - DeSimone, Reinson, Baskin in literally one game against UMBC, Prouty if you have a soft spot for backup FOGOs
2016 - Rapine, Smith, Colwell and Williams sorta

The Shack, Tinney, Moreland, Fraser, etc. class was obviously a great one, but seems to me like every year for the past few years there have been only 1-2 major freshman contributors with maybe 1 or 2 more part-time role players. Perhaps this is an ongoing issue but if we're talking about 2019 specifically, the freshmen class as a whole seemed fine to me and it's only going to get more important. Epstein and Narewski not going anywhere, Zinn only going to play more and more, Cattoni if he's healthy will be a factor, Blondell, McManus, Mabbett are possibilities and by the way you've got a former Under Armour All-American in Mikey Gomez waiting in the wings.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You'll get no argument from me that the last few freshmen classes at Hopkins have not produced alot and were no better than last season's
You are beginning to zero in on the problem
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Transitioning to top tier d1 game requires time for most young talents. gotta adapt to pace and learn schemes and responsibilities. Very tough schedules such as jhu plays leaves little room for growing pains because they can cost games which ultimately could cost a seeding/selection. Frosh that walk in and immediately mpact are not the norm , sometimes favorable settings allows one to be deployed or succeed quicker than others. Should not surprise that many ranked kids do not hit field much at top programs
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:18 pm Transitioning to top tier d1 game requires time for most young talents. gotta adapt to pace and learn schemes and responsibilities. Very tough schedules such as jhu plays leaves little room for growing pains because they can cost games which ultimately could cost a seeding/selection. Frosh that walk in and immediately mpact are not the norm , sometimes favorable settings allows one to be deployed or succeed quicker than others. Should not surprise that many ranked kids do not hit field much at top programs
If you are talking JHU lacrosse, perhaps . Especially on the defensive end. It seems like pretty much everyone on this list, aside from transfering or injuries, played substantially. (IE: Harry Wellford UVA to Bucknell ? UVA Cormier hurt )

Tough to rely on this list, with only 23 lsm/d kids named on the top 100. Should tell you everything you need to know about rankings and it's worth.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/2
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Break that list down (expand it to all frosh) and you will see that few top tier teams gave numerous frosh substantial playing time. Outside the breakout stars , most saw limited play if at all. Not like top 15 were trotting out many youngsters when players introduced. Dont find fewer number of JHU frosh starting or seeing significant playing time than most other top tier programs. Takes time to adapt and develop.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm Break that list down (expand it to all frosh) and you will see that few top tier teams gave numerous frosh substantial playing time. Outside the breakout stars , most saw limited play if at all. Not like top 15 were trotting out many youngsters when players introduced. Dont find fewer number of JHU frosh starting or seeing significant playing time than most other top tier programs. Takes time to adapt and develop.
I was replying to your top ranked players at top tier programs. Who did NOT get substantial playing that was given 5 stars? (non-injured like Bowen )

This line of thinking seems to belong to Hopkins and the coaches, all alone. (what takes time to adapt and develop? ) We could buy this thought process if applied to the defensive side, but: did Cade Saustad start all season while winning a championship with UVA? Yup.

In short, you are incorrect. Gomez and Gainey never sniffed the field, yet they are on this list. (goalies are different, rare one that starts freshman year, like Cornells Irelan ) Zinn and Epstein obviously did, with the latter doing really well. Clearly, offense doesn't take as much time to develop. Petro's weak mustard confusion doesn't bring chaos, just confusion, defense is the taste of the town. :P Or, in reality, the Corvair of college defenses.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm Break that list down (expand it to all frosh) and you will see that few top tier teams gave numerous frosh substantial playing time. Outside the breakout stars , most saw limited play if at all. Not like top 15 were trotting out many youngsters when players introduced. Dont find fewer number of JHU frosh starting or seeing significant playing time than most other top tier programs. Takes time to adapt and develop.
here's a list from one top tier program that did pretty well:
att - sophomore(set school scoring record)/sophomore /junior
1st mid - senior/junior/ 3rd spot was mostly a mix of a freshman and a senior
2nd mid - freshman/walk on sophomore/freshman/senior
lsm - junior/sophomore
ssdm - senior/sophomore/freshman(until injured)/senior/senior
def - freshman (best close defender)/walk on sophomore/senior
fogo - freshman/junior
goalie - sophomore (occasionally backed up by freshman)
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm
here's a list from one top tier program that did pretty well:
att - sophomore(set school scoring record)/sophomore /junior
1st mid - senior/junior/ 3rd spot was mostly a mix of a freshman and a senior
2nd mid - freshman/walk on sophomore/freshman/senior
lsm - junior/sophomore
ssdm - senior/sophomore/freshman(until injured)/senior/senior
def - freshman (best close defender)/walk on sophomore/senior
fogo - freshman/junior Lasalla
goalie - sophomore (occasionally backed up by freshman)
Two walkons on this list. Amazing. From what I understand, real walkons (coach doesn't know the players, by name or otherwise)

Has Hopkins ever had a walkon make the team, let alone start or get substantial playing time?

But, in short, yup.......NOT playing freshman seems to be excuse duh joir. Does the coaching staff still enjoy "glassware" ;)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

in addition, from the above:
att - all 3 started as freshmen (one at middie)
1st mid - all but the mixed in senior started as freshmen
lsm - both have been the top 2 since their freshman year
ssdm - the first 3 all were in ssdm rotation/started as freshmen
d - all 3 started their freshman year
fogo - junior started as freshman at his previous school
goalie - started most games as freshman

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”