PLL Should Stop the Fighting

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
Sllaxdad

PLL Should Stop the Fighting

Post by Sllaxdad »

I do not understand the tolerance by NBC or the powers within the PLL that permits AND promotes on the field fighting. The league claims to have professional athletes, the best around. If so, they should have self control. IMO they will not grow beyond a niche sport and reach/retain a large audience if they continue to promote violence. Seems way out of step with societal norms.
faircornell

Re: PLL Should Stop the Fighting

Post by faircornell »

I think they risk losing their audience. Most of the promotional materials they put out are aimed at the youth market. It's hard to believe that parents will spend big money for lacrosse tickets, jerseys and endorsed equipment for a game that uses fights to promote itself. My understanding is that most of the growth in lacrosse is from parents seeking a sport where head injuries and fighting are discouraged.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Trash. This is garbage lacrosse. The sloppy play shows you they aren’t practicing together enough. The promoting of the fighting shows you they want the wwe demographic and are desperate for eyeballs. There’s a reason the stands are empty.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
luxlaxbro

Post by luxlaxbro »

Agree with “that” lax and fighting are totally unacceptable. Play today was amateurish. This is nothing more than a glorified men’s league.
pucksandbones

Post by pucksandbones »

Seems to work for hockey...I think it shows these guys are all in and are competitive. It's a physical game, if the league wants to allow fighting I have no problem with it. If they don't, I have no problem with that either. I do agree with thatsmell that it has been sloppy though...they need to practice more.
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

Simple rule: first fight expelled from game and next (without pay). Second fight expelled from league. That will clean this up, not sure league will survive without fans attending games. But i will not bring my kids to what they are doing now.
pucksandbones

Post by pucksandbones »

Sllaxdad wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:30 pm Simple rule: first fight expelled from game and next (without pay). Second fight expelled from league. That will clean this up, not sure league will survive without fans attending games. But i will not bring my kids to what they are doing now.
Do you think that the number of people who will avoid going to games because of the fighting is more or less than the number of new fans that will enjoy the intensity/physicality of the scrums/fights? My bet would be there are more casual fans who will like it than those who dislike it enough to not come.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

thatsmell wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:24 pm Trash. This is garbage lacrosse. The sloppy play shows you they aren’t practicing together enough. The promoting of the fighting shows you they want the wwe demographic and are desperate for eyeballs. There’s a reason the stands are empty.
Funny how I watched my first game and saw some great lacrosse and no fights. Are these guys fighting in every game? I haven’t watched any highlights or any of the promotions for the league. Just DVRd the Whipsnakes vs Archers and surprisingly enjoyed the game. I guess I lucked out and caught a good one.

A drizzly dreary day and the stands were empty BTW.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DD-Tech wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am
thatsmell wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:24 pm Trash. This is garbage lacrosse. The sloppy play shows you they aren’t practicing together enough. The promoting of the fighting shows you they want the wwe demographic and are desperate for eyeballs. There’s a reason the stands are empty.
Funny how I watched my first game and saw some great lacrosse and no fights. Are these guys fighting in every game? I haven’t watched any highlights or any of the promotions for the league. Just DVRd the Whipsnakes vs Archers and surprisingly enjoyed the game. I guess I lucked out and caught a good one.

That quality of play is high. It’s a different kind of game with the shorter field and shorter clock. Has a modified box feel to the game. The first game had a pretty good crowd despite the threatening weather. It thinned out when the rain came. Far more people there than I expected and it had a big event feel. It was well run. My biggest take away is that it is sufficiently different than the MLL and the production of the event is much higher. The player experience is much better. It’s hard to explain but the whole program comes across as more organized with more commitment from players and the media coverage is a big advantage. People can find the games on different platforms. There is a lot of chirping but not much “fighting”. We will see what crops up.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:21 am

That quality of play is high. It’s a different kind of game with the shorter field and shorter clock. Has a modified box feel to the game. The first game had a pretty good crowd despite the threatening weather. It thinned out when the rain came. Far more people there than I expected and it had a big event feel. It was well run. My biggest take away is that it is sufficiently different than the MLL and the production of the event is much higher. The player experience is much better. It’s hard to explain but the whole program comes across as more organized with more commitment from players and the media coverage is a big advantage. People can find the games on different platforms. There is a lot of chirping but not much “fighting”. We will see what crops up.
Tommy Schreiber looks pretty good out there doesn't he TLD? Love watching that guy play. Is your son still playing ball?
Typical Lax Dad

DD-Tech wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:21 am

Tommy Schreiber looks pretty good out there doesn't he TLD? Love watching that guy play. Is your son still playing ball?
Yes. Still playing. Tommy Schreiber is remarkable. He has a unique skill set.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Biggest problem is nobody wants to attend lacrosse games in the summer....plus if you have kids that are playing travel, the last thing you want to do is attend another lacrosse game --- no matter how good they are--- on a weekend when you have been driving up and down the east coast.

Must be allowing fighting to try and attract a hockey crowd...don't think that is a going to work. I think they should align their season closer to college...start in April and end by July 4th and play on mid-week nights and on Sundays..
Typical Lax Dad

oldtimelax wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am Biggest problem is nobody wants to attend lacrosse games in the summer....plus if you have kids that are playing travel, the last thing you want to do is attend another lacrosse game --- no matter how good they are--- on a weekend when you have been driving up and down the east coast.

Must be allowing fighting to try and attract a hockey crowd...don't think that is a going to work. I think they should align their season closer to college...start in April and end by July 4th and play on mid-week nights and on Sundays..
How many "fights" have there been in 9 games? I am not a fan of fighting in lacrosse. I think the traveling model may make it easier on attendance. Hard to tell. You spend once a summer instead of 6-7 times. Frees up weekends. I have always felt that pro lacrosse should be in the Spring but I am not sure if the audience is large enough.
FACEvalue

Post by FACEvalue »

Seems to me that youth, high school and college games - not to mention youth practices - are also held in April. The schedule is not the issue. The part that “no one cares” is the problem. Yes, that one small detail. Heard minuscule crowds are expected in Bmore this weekend, the seemingly hotbed of lacrosse. I watched for 5 minutes on TV and was thoroughly bored.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Looked like there was a good crowd at Homewood.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 pm Looked like there was a good crowd at Homewood.
I noticed the same thing.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Those aren't fights maybe a little scrum. Not real fights. For a real fight they would need to drop gloves, remove lids and get going. I love hockey but not in my lax. PLL is trying to hard to be Soccer, Hockey, and WWE. I think the smaller field is making it worse. Then you have all the egos, not a good mix.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”