2022 NYS Public High School State Tournament

HS Boys Lacrosse
ardilla secreta

Re: 2019 NYS Public High School State Tournament

Post by ardilla secreta »

Nigel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 pm I get the geographic aspect of it, the practicality/common sense is what is tough for me
Practicality is really the key point so they're borrowing a page from the girl's semifinals format. One location, two games going at once, and then do it again 30-45 minutes after those games end, and repeat for each subsequent class. Getting to Cortland has always been their tradition.

Trow at Cortland the glax games look like this,

9 am Class D (White Field S5 vs S11 and Red Field S1 vs S3)
11 am Class A (White Field S5 vs S11 and Red Field S3 vs S2)
1 pm Class B (White Field S5 vs S11 and Red Field S3 vs S1)
3 pm Class C (White Field S5 vs S8 and Red Field S3 vs S1)

WINNERS will play the next day, same time/format in the finals.

Cortland has two fields back-to-back, all enclosed in the same security perimeter. Albany has two fields side-by-side but I believe they are two separate facilities.

The move of the boys semifinals to U Albany and SUNY Cortland isn't about what the (traditional) fans want; it's about how to conduct four classes of games at the same respective times, on the same day, at two locations rather than four. It's also about the logistics of two locations versus four - including security, ticket sales, vending, media, team travel, etc. It also keeps the tradition of the Upstate game and the 'Downstate' game (ENY being lumped in with downstate).

Bottom line for the LI fan is that while they get the finals for 3 years at Hofstra, they'll have to truck up to Albany to see if their beloved Island teams win to get into those finals. Cortland on the other hand isn't really close to anyone except maybe 3-4 school districts that usually enjoy success. In other words, gas up the car.
Much to my delight, last week in Section 6, three of the four games were played at Williamsville East HS which had two adjoining turf fields. By the time Class A was approaching halftime the Class C game was starting then when the that game was over the Class D game was ready. Would be nice to see more venues like this so the warmup times don’t drag the day on.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Nigel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 pm I get the geographic aspect of it, the practicality/common sense is what is tough for me
Practicality is really the key point so they're borrowing a page from the girl's semifinals format. One location, two games going at once, and then do it again 30-45 minutes after those games end, and repeat for each subsequent class. Getting to Cortland has always been their tradition.

Trow at Cortland the glax games look like this,

9 am Class D (White Field S5 vs S11 and Red Field S1 vs S3)
11 am Class A (White Field S5 vs S11 and Red Field S3 vs S2)
1 pm Class B (White Field S5 vs S11 and Red Field S3 vs S1)
3 pm Class C (White Field S5 vs S8 and Red Field S3 vs S1)

WINNERS will play the next day, same time/format in the finals.

Cortland has two fields back-to-back, all enclosed in the same security perimeter. Albany has two fields side-by-side but I believe they are two separate facilities.

The move of the boys semifinals to U Albany and SUNY Cortland isn't about what the (traditional) fans want; it's about how to conduct four classes of games at the same respective times, on the same day, at two locations rather than four. It's also about the logistics of two locations versus four - including security, ticket sales, vending, media, team travel, etc. It also keeps the tradition of the Upstate game and the 'Downstate' game (ENY being lumped in with downstate).

Bottom line for the LI fan is that while they get the finals for 3 years at Hofstra, they'll have to truck up to Albany to see if their beloved Island teams win to get into those finals. Cortland on the other hand isn't really close to anyone except maybe 3-4 school districts that usually enjoy success. In other words, gas up the car.
There was only one game going on at a time so the ability to have 2 games at a time didn't apply. There were 4 different sites with 2 games each, unless I'm missing something...
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

The geographic center of New York State is located in Madison County, 12 miles S of Oneida and 26 miles SW of Utica.Per the U.S. Geologic Survey.Must be the IDEAL spot to hold the NYS Lacrosse Championship. :roll:
Fast Break

Post by Fast Break »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 pm The geographic center of New York State is located in Madison County, 12 miles S of Oneida and 26 miles SW of Utica.Per the U.S. Geologic Survey.Must be the IDEAL spot to hold the NYS Lacrosse Championship. :roll:
Was waiting for that to come up... :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Fast Break wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:10 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 pm The geographic center of New York State is located in Madison County, 12 miles S of Oneida and 26 miles SW of Utica.Per the U.S. Geologic Survey.Must be the IDEAL spot to hold the NYS Lacrosse Championship. :roll:
Hey Now! Colgate right down the road!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

Fast Break wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:10 pm
Actually, not that far from Cortland...
ardilla secreta

Nigel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:10 pm
Fast Break wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm Class A - Not a good match-up for Fairport. Overall, Class A in "Upstate" was down this year.
Massapequa +5

Class B - Did not think Victor would be in position this year, because they are not the typical dominant Victor team we have become used to...since 2015. However, team confidence and chemistry play a big role this time of year. I think it will be close. Rooting for the "Upstate" win, but...
John Jay +1

Class C - Two teams that like to play fast, transition and spin the rock. I think that it comes down to defensive side of the field, both teams have proven they can score from all positions. Team defense wins championships! Whoever can throw the other out of rhythm best probably takes it.
JD +1

Class D - I have seen Lafayette late in the season. Great sticks and accurate shooters that fill the net. No idea what Briarcliff is capable of, but Lafayette has dispatched the #1, #2, #4 and #9 teams (at the time) along the playoff road to reach the State Final. There are some chinks in the armor, but I like Lafayette's chances
Lafayette +3
I would agree with Massapequa in A. Fairport may be a year early as they're not a senior heavy team. They'll need secondary scoring if option #33 is neutralized. The question is will Fairport be able to score enough against those dastardly defenses of LI Class A? Very doubtful IMO.

I hate to see Victor win but I think they'll grind this one out much like they did over Yorktown a few years back. The question is can JJ compete at the FO? If not they'll be in for a very frustrating day.

Might be a showtime type of game. Hopefully it will be since lacrosse was once known as the fastest game on two feet. Now everybody wants 'yellow, yellow'. The question is how about a little green? Secondary question is how will JD respond when SWR doesn't go away? My guess is JD Red Rams will be back on top.

Lafayette is on a big time roll. It's been 10 years since they've been here but they've made quite a statement rolling thru Sect 3 and tough opponents in Chenango Forks and Penn Yan. Double digit goals is the name of their game. The question is can a seemingly stingy Briarcliff Bears defense slow them down? Two huge wins over Pleasantville but they'll have to push aside any 'happy to be here' feelings if they hope to upend the almost 60 year tradition of Lafayette lacrosse. I see Lafayette and the neighboring Onondaga Nation as champions once again.
I’ve been to every NYS final since 2007 except for 2014 when Massapequa won. I’m looking forward to seeing some new faces like SWR, John Jay, LaFayette, JD, ‘Pequa. This should be the most exciting Finals since 2011 (Farmingdale, JD, Cazenovia).

A - Massapequa sounds pretty strong and maybe an over-match for Fairport. To start, Fairport doesn’t have a lockdown dominant fogo, but he’s solid and athletic and usually does better as the game goes on. Good midfield, attack and GK that make big saves. The issue is defense. They’re a good, solid bunch but I’m not sure about they’re ability to cover speed and they’ve had issues all season long with longstick clears. The BIG plus is #33 Klay Stuver, the JR Ohio State verbal. He’s the most talented offensive player I’ve seen this year. Whether it’s to clear, ride, get the big assist or goal he is one guy I would not want to cover.

B - sounds like John Jay has a pretty good team too, but even in a softer year, I would never count out Victor. They’re winners and are full of desire. Good fogo that can play lacrosse, and a team full of sharpshooters, still it will take some effort to win out.

C - JD is amongst the top programs in high school lacrosse. Always in motion and it’s seems like they get a lot of box time in the way they play. Maybe this is the game of the day against SWR.

D - haven’t seen the Lancers since the Thompson era. To get this far you can bet they have the offense to put up goals. However, is the GK and D strong enough to take home a trophy?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

flyerfan17 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:19 pm
There was only one game going on at a time so the ability to have 2 games at a time didn't apply. There were 4 different sites with 2 games each, unless I'm missing something...
This year there were 4 games going on at 4 different sites, at the same time.

4 pm @ SJF Fairport & Bville
4 pm @ CNS JD & East Aurora
4 pm @ Albany Massapequa & Mamaroneck
4 pm @ Adelphi SWR & Rye

630 pm @ SJF Victor & Vestal
630 pm @ CNS Lafayette & PY
630 pm @ Albany Manhasset & John Jay
630 pm @ Adelphi Mattituck & Briarcliff

Were they played by next year's plan they would've looked like this,

4 pm @ Cortland1 Fairport & Bville
4 pm @ Cortland2 JD & East Aurora
630 pm @ Cortland1 Victor & Vestal
630 pm @ Cortland2 Lafayette & PY

4 pm @ Albany1 Massapequa & Mamaroneck
4 pm @ Albany2 SWR & Rye
630 pm @ Albany2 Manhasset & John Jay
630 pm @ Albany2 Mattituck & Briarcliff

2 locations, not 4.

The games at SJF over the past three years have drawn alot of Rochester fans that have no immediate or direct connection to the teams (like former players from BITD and general community members that jump on the bandwagon or simply enjoy the sport) just because the location was 10-20 min away. While Albany probably will get those types to turn out since the campus is close to everything, Cortland is the exact opposite. Buffalo is 3 hrs, Rochester just under 2 hrs, parts of the S Tier a half hour to an hour and parts of Syracuse also a half hour to 45 min away. Will a former West Genny player from 15 years ago, currently living in N Syracuse, want to make the drive to Cortland to catch his former team in the semis on a weeknight? If the game was played at a much closer site like CNS would he? Like all things, there's positives and negatives that come with moving the games to SUNY Cortland.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
ardilla secreta

At least Cortland has a Doug’s Fish Fry.
roclax

Post by roclax »

Fast Break wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm Class A - Not a good match-up for Fairport. Overall, Class A in "Upstate" was down this year.
Massapequa +5

Class B - Did not think Victor would be in position this year, because they are not the typical dominant Victor team we have become used to...since 2015. However, team confidence and chemistry play a big role this time of year. I think it will be close. Rooting for the "Upstate" win, but...
John Jay +1

Class C - Two teams that like to play fast, transition and spin the rock. I think that it comes down to defensive side of the field, both teams have proven they can score from all positions. Team defense wins championships! Whoever can throw the other out of rhythm best probably takes it.
JD +1

Class D - I have seen Lafayette late in the season. Great sticks and accurate shooters that fill the net. No idea what Briarcliff is capable of, but Lafayette has dispatched the #1, #2, #4 and #9 teams (at the time) along the playoff road to reach the State Final. There are some chinks in the armor, but I like Lafayette's chances
Lafayette +3
I would agree with Massapequa in A. Fairport may be a year early as they're not a senior heavy team. They'll need secondary scoring if option #33 is neutralized. The question is will Fairport be able to score enough against those dastardly defenses of LI Class A? Very doubtful IMO.

I hate to see Victor win but I think they'll grind this one out much like they did over Yorktown a few years back. The question is can JJ compete at the FO? If not they'll be in for a very frustrating day.

Might be a showtime type of game. Hopefully it will be since lacrosse was once known as the fastest game on two feet. Now everybody wants 'yellow, yellow'. The question is how about a little green? Secondary question is how will JD respond when SWR doesn't go away? My guess is JD Red Rams will be back on top.

Lafayette is on a big time roll. It's been 10 years since they've been here but they've made quite a statement rolling thru Sect 3 and tough opponents in Chenango Forks and Penn Yan. Double digit goals is the name of their game. The question is can a seemingly stingy Briarcliff Bears defense slow them down? Two huge wins over Pleasantville but they'll have to push aside any 'happy to be here' feelings if they hope to upend the almost 60 year tradition of Lafayette lacrosse. I see Lafayette and the neighboring Onondaga Nation as champions once again.
Nigel not sure why you have hate for your fellow section v team...is it because your beloved CA can never beat them when it counts? Maybe more Vlog videos about how it will happen next year...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Chiefs up 6-2 in Q2, 4m left

FOGO And Greenblatt strong early
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:35 am Chiefs up 6-2 in Q2, 4m left

FOGO And Greenblatt strong early
6-3H. Each GK playing well.

Amazingly no flags but it's been a gentlemanly game.
Fast Break

Post by Fast Break »

roclax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:36 am
Massapequa +5

John Jay +1

JD +1

Lafayette +3

Nigel not sure why you have hate for your fellow section v team...is it because your beloved CA can never beat them when it counts? Maybe more Vlog videos about how it will happen next year...
Hate? :lol:

So you are suggesting local bias instead of honest assessment of the match up? Fairport is a good team, just not at the upper level this year. All “Upstate” fans want a sweep, but hinges on the first game of the day and is just not likely.
ardilla secreta

The Blue Devils have entered the building
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That's just roclax being roclax, just instigating

8-4 Pequa as q4 starts. They have had 2 beauty fast break goals.

Raider fans getting anxious...

Greenblatt makes it 9-4. Uh oh...
ardilla secreta

Really nice effort by the Fairport defense, but they are getting exhausted from the Chiefs possession time. Nigel, how you like Fairport defenseman plowing through two Chiefs.
ardilla secreta

Smart lacrosse by Pequa to milk the clock on the flag.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yes the RR defense is doing yeoman work but the Chiefs have great stick skills to hold the ball

Fairport going down fighting at 10-6 but 2 man MU and Pequa just running it down...
ardilla secreta

Pretty classy by Pequa to kill the clock when they easily could pop in some thrash. Respect for a tough opponent.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Hail to the Chiefs!! A dominant performance! Enjoy the bus ride home boys!!!

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”