Salisbury 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: Salisbury 2024

Post by ah23 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:23 am Also like to eventually learn if W&L had called Burns number to have a pick set and have him run from left to right from behind. Usually he is on the other side on the wing. If that was designed great call allowing him to either gain a step w the pick or just allowing him more space to gain separation for a shot. Can’t wait for tonight’s game
Spot on. From the interviews after the game:

“In overtime, W&L got the ball and called timeout. Assistant coach Will Garrett suggested they should slip their attackmen. They put Burns on the other side of the goal he usually is on and executed a big-little pick.

“We kind of felt like if he got one step, his speed that he has, he can get around to goalline extended for that up-the-hash shot,” he said.

That's what happened, and now they’re going to the NCAA Semifinals for the first time since 2002 and fourth time since their DIII era started in 1987.”
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Salisbury just lost to a team that didn’t score a single point in the 4th qtr.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:40 am
KennyPowers69 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:40 pm tough loss today. Credit W&L for not throwing in the towel when they got down early 8-1. This Gulls team had a tendency to start fast then kinda lose focus and coast thru some games. Today it was bad penalty after bad penalty , a faceoff tandem that looked visibiliy frustrated, and Washington & Lee goalie who made 4 point blank saves.
All of the above plus a freshman fogo w 3 goals going 60% . Question was Defazio on the field for the winning goal? If so I would have thought he’d take Burns at that point…. Looked like a set play by Generals to try for a switch . Casting no blame here but trying to figure out the number of the cover guy for Salisbury on that play. De Cain had a great game maybe 2 soft goals but stopped some shots that no goalie should make. W&L played Gulls close last year but lost maybe 70% of the face offs. This game was one of the biggest upsets I recall in D3. Coming back from 8-1 against an undefeated Gull team does not happen. Salisbury will break Hobart record just not this year. The lacrosse gods were watching over W&L yesterday just a little bit.
How many championships would Salisbury have if Hobart had not decided to play D1?

Once Salisbury has the record, will they go to D1 to challenge themselves also?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Thank you Ah23. Salisbury won’t go D3 I think all the teams would have to go D1. Maybe I’m wrong
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Shout out to the Salisbury broadcast team, they were very good all weekend. Appreciate watching guys who take it seriously and don’t just sound like they’re rooting for their buddies (or their buddies’ kids, depending on age).
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ah23 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:38 pm Shout out to the Salisbury broadcast team, they were very good all weekend. Appreciate watching guys who take it seriously and don’t just sound like they’re rooting for their buddies (or their buddies’ kids, depending on age).
Amen to that! Well done.

This Gulls squad will be asking themselves "what if" for a long time. Tricky mental games to play going into next season too. It's not like a revenge tour, they simply got complacent, expecting W&L to go away after the opening blitz. And I know that reads like I'm taking something away from W&L. I don't mean to. They were fantastic. Burns was the best player on the field effort and output wise.

I don't have a like for like experience, but I remember playing Misericordia my senior year. We were collectively the better team, across the board and by several levels. We knew it. We didn't lock in after jumping out to a quick lead. The game was way too close at the end. Still a W. But it was an important lesson for me personally. We were careless and casual. I remember getting the ball taken away on the sideline while jogging because I just expected them to know how much better we were. I could have sprinted into the box and set up the offense. I digress.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:08 am
ah23 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:38 pm Shout out to the Salisbury broadcast team, they were very good all weekend. Appreciate watching guys who take it seriously and don’t just sound like they’re rooting for their buddies (or their buddies’ kids, depending on age).
Amen to that! Well done.

This Gulls squad will be asking themselves "what if" for a long time. Tricky mental games to play going into next season too. It's not like a revenge tour, they simply got complacent, expecting W&L to go away after the opening blitz. And I know that reads like I'm taking something away from W&L. I don't mean to. They were fantastic. Burns was the best player on the field effort and output wise.

I don't have a like for like experience, but I remember playing Misericordia my senior year. We were collectively the better team, across the board and by several levels. We knew it. We didn't lock in after jumping out to a quick lead. The game was way too close at the end. Still a W. But it was an important lesson for me personally. We were careless and casual. I remember getting the ball taken away on the sideline while jogging because I just expected them to know how much better we were. I could have sprinted into the box and set up the offense. I digress.
Gulls will put sticks down for week to complete finals,yes they are not done with classes till later this week. 2025 is already on their minds. Back to work before Labor Day. Labor Day until Memorial Day, the reason the always play in May. Talent means nothing without the hard work, coaching and respect for the game.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Oh man, yeah, I didn't mean to insinuate they jumped the shark or anything. Just that Berkman has his work cut out for him with the mental side. Pretty clear to me, an outsider, that they had the most talented roster in the division. Might have been the first season I didn't see the Gulls make use of it at the end. Been playing or watching D3 ball since 2000. Willing to bet they are back again next year.
Dehuntshigwa’es

First I want to preface this question that I have by saying I am someone who has a lot of respect for the Gulls program, and in particular Coach Berkman. Amazing he’s won national titles in each of the last 4 decades. I had a conversation with a good friend today who’s an avid lax fan when I posed the question, when if ever did Salisbury ever drop a game after having a 7 goal lead.I have watched them forever and know they rarely lose and if they did it was almost always early in the season. I have no evidence but I’d have to believe that you’d have to go back to the 80’s to find a game they may have dropped after having a 7 goal lead. Like to hear from a fan or player who might recall a similar comeback
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:04 am First I want to preface this question that I have by saying I am someone who has a lot of respect for the Gulls program, and in particular Coach Berkman. Amazing he’s won national titles in each of the last 4 decades. I had a conversation with a good friend today who’s an avid lax fan when I posed the question, when if ever did Salisbury ever drop a game after having a 7 goal lead.I have watched them forever and know they rarely lose and if they did it was almost always early in the season. I have no evidence but I’d have to believe that you’d have to go back to the 80’s to find a game they may have dropped after having a 7 goal lead. Like to hear from a fan or player who might recall a similar comeback
Different outcome but it was close. Salisbury-Middlebury 2003 National Championship. Middlebury was going for their 4th(!) straight title, Salisbury was absolutely stacked with D3 legends, future pros etc…The Gulls lead 11-4 at half. Middlebury battled back and tied it, Salisbury won in OT 14-13. What a game.
Dehuntshigwa’es

SouthieLax wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:51 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:04 am First I want to preface this question that I have by saying I am someone who has a lot of respect for the Gulls program, and in particular Coach Berkman. Amazing he’s won national titles in each of the last 4 decades. I had a conversation with a good friend today who’s an avid lax fan when I posed the question, when if ever did Salisbury ever drop a game after having a 7 goal lead.I have watched them forever and know they rarely lose and if they did it was almost always early in the season. I have no evidence but I’d have to believe that you’d have to go back to the 80’s to find a game they may have dropped after having a 7 goal lead. Like to hear from a fan or player who might recall a similar comeback
Different outcome but it was close. Salisbury-Middlebury 2003 National Championship. Middlebury was going for their 4th(!) straight title, Salisbury was absolutely stacked with D3 legends, future pros etc…The Gulls lead 11-4 at half. Middlebury battled back and tied it, Salisbury won in OT 14-13. What a game.
That’s impressive to beat Salisbury is rare enough without having to come back from a big deficit. I’ll have to check out the box score for that game. Appreciate your response . The Generals had a 3 goal lead start of the 4th and I knew Salisbury would come back but the Genetsls held them off until the 4:49 mark. The clock could not move faster for me . When Dowd scored to tie it w 30 seconds left my thought was Spano must get possession and W&L needs to close this out . If the Gulls get the ball again it’s trouble. Interesting the Generals last win they had a lead 6-3 going into the 4th and again you know it’s coming. Generals held the Gulls to 1 goal a qtr. sure enough Generals don’t score in the 4th and Gulls storm back and tie it with 3 minutes left. Generals win in double overtime
They met again in the NCAA’s and this time Salisbury won 7-4 .Hope W&L builds off this season and doesn’t wait another decade to get another win

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”