Next Teams To Win National Titles For The First Time?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Next Teams To Win National Titles For The First Time?

Post by gymman1031 »

Last year, Yale took their names out of this discussion. And, on Monday, Penn State may as well. However, whether or not Penn State does it this time around, they will be the next first-timer.
Scarlet

Re: Next Teams To Win National Titles For The First Time?

Post by Scarlet »

In the NCAA era, 11 schools have won titles: Cornell, Virginia, Maryland, Johns Hopkins, North Carolina, Syracuse, Princeton, Duke, Loyola, Denver, and Yale. Eleven of 71 (I believe). Currently, I look at PSU, ND, Georgetown, Penn, Towson, Ohio State, and Brown as contenders for the next first, although it wouldn’t shock me to see Michigan emerge as a program pretty quickly. It will take a perfect storm of recruiting, coaching, and serendipity for the service academies to compete for titles regularly. Navy is the only SA to play in the title game, losing to Maryland in 1975 and Syracuse in 2004. I’d like to see PSU have a run of great seasons before announcing them. They are perfectly capable of winning this year, of course, but projecting this year’s results as the new normal for PSU doesn’t seem logical to me.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Scarlet wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:18 pm In the NCAA era, ... Towson, Ohio State, and Brown as contenders for the next first
Towson has an NCAA title already.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I should have said, “A DI title”.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:19 pm
Scarlet wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:18 pm In the NCAA era, ... Towson, Ohio State, and Brown as contenders for the next first
Towson has an NCAA title already.
Not a D1 NCAA title.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:01 pm Last year, Yale took their names out of this discussion. And, on Monday, Penn State may as well. However, whether or not Penn State does it this time around, they will be the next first-timer.
Don't want to sound smarmy here considering you seemed pretty definitive in answering your own question, but (there's always a but after a pre-apology!) crossing that championship threshold is brutal. Maryland fans can attest to that. Washington Capitals fans too. Notre Dame's been pounding on the door for a lot longer than JoePa has.

It looks like PSU's realistic window is now 1 year. The team that just dominated PSU will probably be better next year, UVA is back among the alpha dogs and Duke almost always has the top talent in the country. Penn may have the best player in the country next year, Maryland is usually pretty good and Corrigan's goons would like to meet your finesse players in a dark alley. UNC, Cuse, Denver, Hopkins and Ohio State probably won't be intimidated either.

Ohio State, Albany and Notre Dame were the next team in line just last year, and they still could be. Congrats on a great season. Ament is arguably the 2nd best player in the last 20 years (just kidding, inside joke!) and that offense was beautiful to watch. But, like the Capitals from 2008-2017, beautiful offenses can pucker up in the playoffs. And TD Ierlan is a one-man offense killer. Winning this tournament isn't just about having the best offensive players.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”