31%
Virginia
69%

Total votes: 70

AreaLax

QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by AreaLax »

Game 4
Last edited by AreaLax on Mon May 20, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Re: QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by DocBarrister »

We have more IL Media All-Americans, which is why we will win.

Johns Hopkins 23
Virginia 2

Bill Tierney decries Hopkins running up the score.

Peter Milliman celebrates with a new tattoo and a fresh pack of gum.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

I’m taking every underdog this weekend.

Maryland will cover 3.5 versus Duke.

Georgetown will absolutely cover 4.5 against ND.

Denver will cover 2.5 against Cuse.

Not seeing the line yet on UVA/Hop.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Finster wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:46 am I’m taking every underdog this weekend.

It’s Virginia -2 on DraftKings
Finster

Post by Finster »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:51 am

Thx.

Taking Hopkins to cover that.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Finster wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:40 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:51 am

Thx.

Taking Hopkins to cover that.
I'll be doing the same, minus the Hopkins cover. Gonna be a great slate of games.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

uva was back at their best saturday with some real aggression on their middie dodges, really the key to the whole matchup. even quint kessenich has noted that when you can aggressively dodge, it draws the eyes and slides of the defense, allowing others to be open. if the hoos can continue with the aggression on dodges from the midfield... schutz, colsey, millon out of the box some, even terenzi again... things will open up for cormier and boyden et.al. as they work off ball.

that's what i'll be looking for.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 pm uva was back at their best saturday with some real aggression on their middie dodges, really the key to the whole matchup. even quint kessenich has noted that when you can aggressively dodge, it draws the eyes and slides of the defense, allowing others to be open. if the hoos can continue with the aggression on dodges from the midfield... schutz, colsey, millon out of the box some, even terenzi again... things will open up for cormier and boyden et.al. as they work off ball.

A very minimally invasive post
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 pm uva was back at their best saturday with some real aggression on their middie dodges, really the key to the whole matchup. even quint kessenich has noted that when you can aggressively dodge, it draws the eyes and slides of the defense, allowing others to be open. if the hoos can continue with the aggression on dodges from the midfield... schutz, colsey, millon out of the box some, even terenzi again... things will open up for cormier and boyden et.al. as they work off ball.

This all sounds familiar …. 🧐🤔

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
dms87

Post by dms87 »

Dumb question here but... does anyone know if the only option to buy tickets for the games at Towson through Ticket Master? I went through the NCAA lax site and that is what came up but the lowest price for a single ticket was $99. Thanks in advance.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

dms87 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:24 pm Dumb question here but... does anyone know if the only option to buy tickets for the games at Towson through Ticket Master? I went through the NCAA lax site and that is what came up but the lowest price for a single ticket was $99. Thanks in advance.
A little cheaper...
https://seatgeek.com/ncaa-mens-lacrosse ... 37&irgwc=1
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

dms87 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:24 pm Dumb question here but... does anyone know if the only option to buy tickets for the games at Towson through Ticket Master? I went through the NCAA lax site and that is what came up but the lowest price for a single ticket was $99. Thanks in advance.
towson is hosting. hit "buy tickets here". $30 and discounts for others.
https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/5/7/ ... adium.aspx
dms87

Post by dms87 »

wgdsr- thank you, worked perfectly. Go Hop!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Bit of a deeper dive on the faceoffs issue. When the teams played during the regular season, JHU had a 20-14 advantage against a Virginia team missing its top 2024 FOGO, Anthony Ghobriel. Last year, when Ghobriel was playing for Navy, he did well but didn't dominate against Hop FOGOs Callahan and Dunn; he was 3-0 vs. Callahan and 8-7 vs. Dunn. Things don't always translate when a FOGO was playing for a prior team (wing play, etc.) but I would not be surprised to see JHU's Dunn get the majority of the reps, at least to start, against Ghobriel. And I'd expect faceoffs to be closer to evenly split or perhaps a slight UVA advantage this time around.

If so, Ierlan will need to be extra sharp in goal for JHU to mitigate the additional possessions UVA may get this time around.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am Bit of a deeper dive on the faceoffs issue. When the teams played during the regular season, JHU had a 20-14 advantage against a Virginia team missing its top 2024 FOGO, Anthony Ghobriel. Last year, when Ghobriel was playing for Navy, he did well but didn't dominate against Hop FOGOs Callahan and Dunn; he was 3-0 vs. Callahan and 8-7 vs. Dunn. Things don't always translate when a FOGO was playing for a prior team (wing play, etc.) but I would not be surprised to see JHU's Dunn get the majority of the reps, at least to start, against Ghobriel. And I'd expect faceoffs to be closer to evenly split or perhaps a slight UVA advantage this time around.

If so, Ierlan will need to be extra sharp in goal for JHU to mitigate the additional possessions UVA may get this time around.
game was even thru 3 quarters when hop had the fo advantage. jhu controlled the 4th once that advantage disappeared. game may turn on faceoffs this time, but uva will need to play better. other than harvard, 4th quarters haven't been their bag.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:19 pm
The Orfling wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am Bit of a deeper dive on the faceoffs issue. When the teams played during the regular season, JHU had a 20-14 advantage against a Virginia team missing its top 2024 FOGO, Anthony Ghobriel. Last year, when Ghobriel was playing for Navy, he did well but didn't dominate against Hop FOGOs Callahan and Dunn; he was 3-0 vs. Callahan and 8-7 vs. Dunn. Things don't always translate when a FOGO was playing for a prior team (wing play, etc.) but I would not be surprised to see JHU's Dunn get the majority of the reps, at least to start, against Ghobriel. And I'd expect faceoffs to be closer to evenly split or perhaps a slight UVA advantage this time around.

game was even thru 3 quarters when hop had the fo advantage. jhu controlled the 4th once that advantage disappeared. game may turn on faceoffs this time, but uva will need to play better. other than harvard, 4th quarters haven't been their bag.
Hopkins has shown with the aggressiveness of its defense (something Doc B spent almost a decade here pleading with Petro to do more of) it can generate extra possessions even if it loses the faceoff battle. The problem has been what it does when it gets those possessions and the lack of consistent scoring which puts more pressure on the defense. Melendez has been a non factor for most of the season and it's been almost impossible to know quarter to quarter if anyone other than Degnon and Angelus are going to give the offense anything.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 pm

Hopkins has shown with the aggressiveness of its defense (something Doc B spent almost a decade here pleading with Petro to do more of) it can generate extra possessions even if it loses the faceoff battle. The problem has been what it does when it gets those possessions and the lack of consistent scoring which puts more pressure on the defense. Melendez has been a non factor for most of the season and it's been almost impossible to know quarter to quarter if anyone other than Degnon and Angelus are going to give the offense anything.
quoting doc b on any strategery isn't going to prop up a viable angle for anything. you named the 3 attackmen, and i understand melendez hasn't broken out. there isn't a middie in the country that provides quarter to quarter offense, 1st team all americans have 40 points. hopkins, overall, has decided not to hunt goals. their preference is patience. the jays put up 16 last time they saw uva. my guess is they'd take that again, so the hoos best do a better job of handling hopkins' inconsistent offense.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:28 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 pm

quoting doc b on any strategery isn't going to prop up a viable angle for anything. you named the 3 attackmen, and i understand melendez hasn't broken out. there isn't a middie in the country that provides quarter to quarter offense, 1st team all americans have 40 points. hopkins, overall, has decided not to hunt goals. their preference is patience. the jays put up 16 last time they saw uva. my guess is they'd take that again, so the hoos best do a better job of handling hopkins' inconsistent offense.
This is probably the right strategy vs Virginia. I cant see Hopkins winning this game, if it is a track meet. Quite honestly, the Virginia's poles are very good in 1 on 1 situations. They can get caught ball watching and being overly aggressive. You beat the UVa defense with ball movement and attacking the SSDMs. Hopkins middies feasted in the last game.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I would look at this simplistically: you have more possessions than UVA, you beat UVA. Only in one loss this year did UVA have more possessions: in the Duke game and UVA cannot beat Duke. Win the FO’s, GB’s and TO’s, the rest takes care of itself.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 pm I would look at this simplistically: you have more possessions than UVA, you beat UVA. Only in one loss this year did UVA have more possessions: in the Duke game and UVA cannot beat Duke. Win the FO’s, GB’s and TO’s, the rest takes care of itself.
Yep.

Possessions come through FOs, gbs, opponent TOs, CTs, rides, and clean saves. Blue Jays have improved in most of those areas in recent years.

If the Blue Jays can keep possessions roughly equal, I think they win this game.

And yes … I pleaded for a decade for Petro to develop a D that focuses not only on good positional defense (a basic requirement for any D), but also generating possessions through caused turnovers and generating transition offense. It was the Loyola D of 2012 that was a real eye opener. Loyola worked to cause turnovers, push transition O, and had a tough ride.

PM, Koesterer, and Crawley have basically installed that system (more or less) at Hopkins.

Now, even Petro’s D at UNC causes turnovers at a good clip.

Many of you mocked my obsession with CTs, but I think I have been proven right.

Now you mock my pleading for aggressive middie dodges. Some of you here never learn ….

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”