NCAA Tournament Games Scheduling Disgrace

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

NCAA Tournament Games Scheduling Disgrace

Post by Brownlax »

How the hell in this day and age does the NCAA get away with the scheduling for the women’s games versus the men’s games.

The men’s games yesterday and today were scheduled at 12, 2:30, 5 and 7:30.

Today’s Womens games are at:
2 at 12pm
1 at 12:30pm
2 at 1:00pm
2 at 2:00pm
1 at 2:30pm

8 games scheduled within a 2 1/2 hours.

So a fan of the men’s games can see all games live with no issues. For the women - not so much.

Just ridiculous.
spidey44

Re: NCAA Tournament Games Scheduling Disgrace

Post by spidey44 »

Made this comment in my daily lines post. I was wondering how the men's were spread out. Complete joke.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

The men’s first round games have been on this schedule (and broadcast schedule) since at least 2008 (that is to say I remember back that far). 4 games on ESPNU on Saturday and 4 games on ESPNU on Sunday.

The women’s broadcast schedule on ESPN+ is baffling because it is streaming service. There are not competing with timeslots and other events. They all are streamed independent of any programming lineup. So what gives? Who makes the decision on game times?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Yup, I have three screens running, zipping around trying to keep current on this game or that. Disgraceful. You want to tell women that women's sports matter less, this is one way to do it. Congrats NCAA, really showing the mission.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Part of me wonders with all the quarterfinals on Thursday if all the teams want to play earlier in the day to start recovery. I think that was the reasoning for making the Final Four games early post-Covid as the title game moved to 12 p.m. on Sunday. The other unfortunate thing is if you look at the schedule on ESPN and ESPN2 where you could put men's game to open up space for the women on ESPNU, there's no programming where lacrosse would definitely get the better rating. Some college sports are booming right now, but lacrosse isn't one of them.
saltylaxer

Post by saltylaxer »

is ESPN the only reason the quarterfinals are on thursday rather than the weekend?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

saltylaxer wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:39 pm is ESPN the only reason the quarterfinals are on thursday rather than the weekend?
Yes
rc13

Post by rc13 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:18 pm Yup, I have three screens running, zipping around trying to keep current on this game or that. Disgraceful. You want to tell women that women's sports matter less, this is one way to do it. Congrats NCAA, really showing the mission.

Don't blame the NCAA on this one. The IWLCA's philosophy for decades has been to play them at the same time so that teams don't get extra rest. They even used to say "scouting fairness," as if no one has access to videotape.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Brownlax wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:30 am How the hell in this day and age does the NCAA get away with the scheduling for the women’s games versus the men’s games.

The men’s games yesterday and today were scheduled at 12, 2:30, 5 and 7:30.

Today’s Womens games are at:
2 at 12pm
1 at 12:30pm
2 at 1:00pm
2 at 2:00pm
1 at 2:30pm

8 games scheduled within a 2 1/2 hours.

So a fan of the men’s games can see all games live with no issues. For the women - not so much.

Just ridiculous.

Agree...and this has been going for years. We have discussed this for many years and little to nothing has changed. Has this scheduling problem been addressed to ESPN by the NCAA Division One Women's Lacrosse committee?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I disagree with this topic. The start times have improved much since just a few years ago. Obviously there could be improvements made but the women folk in D1 have done a pretty decent job at making their games more accessible to watch. Coming up Thursday is THE premier day in women's lacrosse as each of the 4 games has its own exclusive two and a half hour time slot.
saltylaxer

Post by saltylaxer »

THE PREMIER day? On a Thursday? At noon on a work day?? There’s no way to make that sound better no matter how you phrase it.

As a former player I remember my quarterfinals fondly.. on a SATURDAY in May. And while the girls should absolutely be televised to the same extent as the men’s game, who can watch on Thursday morning? It’s not helpful- guaranteed low ratings AND empty stands.

Having a crowded stadium on a may Saturday with fans, parents and local teams is also super important to this game and future growth. I don’t know if you trade that for a crappy tv slot. But either way, they shouldn’t have to pick one or the other. Really hard to believe a few hours can’t be carved out friday Saturday OR Sunday for the womens games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

saltylaxer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:25 pm THE PREMIER day? On a Thursday? At noon on a work day?? There’s no way to make that sound better no matter how you phrase it.

As a former player I remember my quarterfinals fondly.. on a SATURDAY in May. And while the girls should absolutely be televised to the same extent as the men’s game, who can watch on Thursday morning? It’s not helpful- guaranteed low ratings AND empty stands.

Having a crowded stadium on a may Saturday with fans, parents and local teams is also super important to this game and future growth. I don’t know if you trade that for a crappy tv slot. But either way, they shouldn’t have to pick one or the other. Really hard to believe a few hours can’t be carved out friday Saturday OR Sunday for the womens games.
As soon as I find out which Thursday the quarterfinals are scheduled for each new season I reserve the time off from work. If other folks thought it was important enough, they could do the same. No way I'd trade that for 4 clumped together noon start times on a Saturday or Sunday.
saltylaxer

Post by saltylaxer »

How you personally schedule your time to watch women’s lacrosse is entirely irrelevant.

I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv.

There is no way to justify Thursday being as good of a game day as a Saturday Sunday or even Friday. it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games right ?
OuttaNowhereWregget

saltylaxer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:57 pm How you personally schedule your time to watch women’s lacrosse is entirely irrelevant.

I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv.

There is no way to justify Thursday being as good of a game day as a Saturday Sunday or even Friday. it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games right ?
Why couldn't all those folks take the day off? It's not like we're talking tens of thousands of peoples here. Of course it would be more convenient but, for what it is--it ain't bad.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

saltylaxer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:57 pm How you personally schedule your time to watch women’s lacrosse is entirely irrelevant.

saltylaxer, stop, stop, stop!!! You are throwing too many jabs and landing the punches. You then give a hard bodyshot with, "I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv." Then you deliver the KO punch with, "If it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games, right?" Mouthpiece flying and the body dropping. "DOWN GOES ONW!"
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:03 pm

saltylaxer, stop, stop, stop!!! You are throwing too many jabs and landing the punches. You then give a hard bodyshot with, "I’m sure the women care far more about their families , friends and young local players coming to support them, than you taking a day off work to perch in front of your tv." Then you deliver the KO punch with, "If it was the same, the men would be totally fine with Thursday games, right?" Mouthpiece flying and the body dropping. "DOWN GOES ONW!"
All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with taking a day off from work/school to attend an important event.
laxhound22

Post by laxhound22 »

enough women's lax writers (taylor cummings does it every year still) complained that they all used to start the same time on Saturday so people couldn't watch all of them that they switched to Thurs a couple years ago. ESPN has softball and men's lacrosse which pull better ratings on Fri through Sun so Thurs is the only way all 4 QFs get on TV. Gotta pick either all on TV on Thurs or back to streaming on Sat/Sun like the 1st/2nd rounds

I agree with those saying Saturday is better because it allows family/friends to travel more easily which is majority of audience anyway and those who really want to watch on tv/streaming will find a way
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxhound22 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:37 pm enough women's lax writers (taylor cummings does it every year still) complained that they all used to start the same time on Saturday so people couldn't watch all of them that they switched to Thurs a couple years ago. ESPN has softball and men's lacrosse which pull better ratings on Fri through Sun so Thurs is the only way all 4 QFs get on TV. Gotta pick either all on TV on Thurs or back to streaming on Sat/Sun like the 1st/2nd rounds

I agree with those saying Saturday is better because it allows family/friends to travel more easily which is majority of audience anyway and those who really want to watch on tv/streaming will find a way
How many people are watching the Truck and Tractor Pull and Arm Wrestling that is on ESPNNews at noon on Saturday?
Last edited by hmmm on Tue May 14, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:28 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:03 pm

All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with taking a day off from work/school to attend an important event.
Sure, I can take off work at noon on Thursday to head to the Terps game, but my daughters can't because they are in the middle of finals, practice, etc. It would be fantastic to be able to take them to watch the tourney, but alas, I can't.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

FWIW: The opening round of the DII tourney is 5/16 11am and 3pm or 12pm and 4pm. And TV has nothing to with this schedule. Simply not ideal, IMO.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”