48%
Maryland
52%

Total votes: 50

AreaLax

QF #2 Duke vs #7 Maryland Saturday 2:30

Post by AreaLax »

Game2
Last edited by AreaLax on Sat May 18, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Re: QF #2 Duke vs #7 Maryland Saturday 2:30

Post by DocBarrister »

This game is like the USSR playing the People’s Republic of China.

You can’t root for either one.

You want both to lose.

And they are both inherently evil to an extent.

What to do? 🤷🏽‍♀️

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:43 am This game is like the USSR playing the People’s Republic of China.

You want both to lose.

What to do? 🤷🏽‍♀️

DocBarrister 8-)

Duke will always be the most inherently evil school ever. Hoops lacrosse graduation ceremonies.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Finster wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:43 am This game is like the USSR playing the People’s Republic of China.

You want both to lose.

What to do? 🤷🏽‍♀️

DocBarrister 8-)

Duke will always be the most inherently evil school ever. Hoops lacrosse graduation ceremonies.
Their mascot s literally Satan
coda

Post by coda »

You want both to lose.

What to do? 🤷🏽‍♀️

DocBarrister 8-)
Root for a meteor to take both out?

I honestly dont know what to make of this game. I thought I had a good handle on who Maryland was going into the tournament, but the Maryland offense looked much different. Thinking 13-10 Duke, but who knows.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Maryland may have played their best game against Princeton, but they're only getting past Duke if McNaney severely outplays Jameison or Duke sleepwalks through the first three quarters. Either pro-Maryland scenario is possible but unlikely.

Sadly, it's looking like Duke is going to get another crack at Notre Dame--a true nightmare championship game.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Duke is prone to some absolute stinkers; but I can’t see them doing it here

However, Maryland has the edge in goal which is massive and potentially maybe FO with Naso possibly being banged up a little and obviously Wierman is Wierman. Duke also doesn’t particularly ride hard, which will help Maryland in terms of maximizing possessions.

Guarding McAdorey will be the key for Maryland. Their close D is excellent, and however they manipulate the matchups, I think they’ll defend Duke well. But having McAdorey out of the box potentially picking up an LSM could be trouble. Probably need to move one of the Close D to him and bump an LSM down to dyson. But this is where Duke makes life hard on you. Michigan had a lot of success with Zawada dodging up top against Maryland, curious to see if they move him around the field more. If Duke is stationary offensively, Maryland will be able to defend them better. Obviously McNaney is super crucial

Offensively, I think Maryland’s gotta get at Duke’s shorties as much as possible. Keep hammering the inverts, get some switches for Erksa coming out of the box. I like the adjustments they’ve made, and think they can give them a real shot

Duke’s a 3 goal favorite currently, which is fair. Think the Terps have a real shot though
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wow, Duke has 18 grad students. How this team has lost 5 games is a mystery, but it doesn't matter now. Duke averages 50% more goals per game than Maryland so that's a pretty huge chasm. Terps may have to revert back to the slowdown offense to maybe take the Devils out of their preferred rhythm.

I'd feel better if the Terps players were wearing Blue Hens uniforms, so Duke could overlook them, but if they're not pumped up for Maryland then they must be a little dead inside. And there's no reason why a motivated Duke team can't be the best team in the country. Terps don't have that ceiling.

I think Duke controls the game and wins comfortably, like the UVA-MD game this year. My hope and reference point as a Terp fan is 2019 vs. UVA, when MD had a mediocre team (bad face-off, porous defense and inconsistent offense) but played a near-perfect game against a much better Hoos squad until it cratered in the end. Tillman is great in these situations so you never know, but Duke is by far the more talented squad this year.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:58 am I'd feel better if the Terps players were wearing Blue Hens uniforms, so Duke could overlook them
No kidding, but McNaney looked good against Princeton, and Jameison can be erratic. To me, Princeton had by far the best defense in the Ivies, so there's a chance the Terps could do it again if the offense repeats its efficiency from the last game.
coda

Post by coda »

Hoxwurth wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:26 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:58 am I'd feel better if the Terps players were wearing Blue Hens uniforms, so Duke could overlook them
No kidding, but McNaney looked good against Princeton, and Jameison can be erratic. To me, Princeton had by far the best defense in the Ivies, so there's a chance the Terps could do it again if the offense repeats its efficiency from the last game.
That is tough call. Penn and Princeton were pretty much pari-passu. Spanos v Brower will likely decide how the Maryland offense looks.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

coda wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:51 pm
That is tough call. Penn and Princeton were pretty much pari-passu. Spanos v Brower will likely decide how the Maryland offense looks.
Brower is a stud but he hasn't been invincible this year. Like most, I think Duke will win, but I'm not counting Maryland out, especially with Tillman.
coda

Post by coda »

Hoxwurth wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:22 am
Brower is a stud but he hasn't been invincible this year. Like most, I think Duke will win, but I'm not counting Maryland out, especially with Tillman.
Spanos hasnt seen a lot of #1 cover guys, so we shall see. Maryland switched up some things for the Princeton game, those changes will be on tape for this game.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:24 am
Spanos hasnt seen a lot of #1 cover guys, so we shall see. Maryland switched up some things for the Princeton game, those changes will be on tape for this game.

I trust Maryland's coaches with a week's preparation FAR MORE than Duke's. Tillman and his gang are "video savants".

Dino tends to show up with his squad and just roll the ball out.

Tills shows up with his squad plus a mountain of due diligence.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:42 am

I trust Maryland's coaches with a week's preparation FAR MORE than Duke's. Tillman and his gang are "video savants".

Agree. Its kind of strange, but outside of ND, I think the #1 thing stopping the ACC is coaching (I dont think Duke, UVA, or Cuse are very disciplined)
Last edited by coda on Fri May 17, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Finster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:42 am

For sure. I just think the talent disparity is going to be too great. Hope I am wrong.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Both teams are capable of sucking

I actually think Terps have a better chance of a surprising upside with the reshuffling
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

coda wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:13 am
Agree. Its kind of strange, but outside of ND, I think the #1 thing stopping the ACC is coaching (I dont think Duke, UVA, or Cuse are very disciplined)
How are those 3 teams not disciplined?
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

keno in reno wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:45 am
Calling UVa undiscplined is a misnomer. Lars leans into a frenetic style of play more than any other coach in America. This is a foundational tenet of his philosophical approach to the game, in stark contrast to say, John Tillman's philosophy. What someone might call undiscplined, Lars would say that's the beauty of playing the game as it was intended.

But it is true...that doesn't account for just general sloppy play at times, especially on D.
Last edited by Hooz123 on Fri May 17, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Post by coda »

keno in reno wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:45 am
Cuse generally has a stretch where they lose their minds, make bad turnovers. Even Cuse fans say that

UVa defense is strong 1 on 1, they struggle off-ball and getting over-aggressive (undisciplined). They also can be sped up and play too fast, which leads to sloppy turnovers in the middle of the field.

I have watched Duke resort to club offense, where it just becomes a 1 on 1 dodging affair.
lacrosseculturedaily

Post by lacrosseculturedaily »

Check out a preview of some of the keys here:

https://lacrosseculturedaily.com/2024/0 ... d-vs-duke/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”