W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
valaxfan

Re: W&L 2024

Post by valaxfan »

Heaterman10 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:26 pm Wilson field was sold out for the Roanoke game in ‘87. ‘87 was the first year of D3 lacrosse W&L. The team spent time at #1 in the polls during the season, at the time Hobart was in the middle of their D3 Nat’l Championship run. The ‘87 team lost in the NCAA tourney final four to Ohio Wesleyan. A team they beat badly during the season. The OWU head coach was Mike Pressler. One would say they were looking ahead to play Hobart.
Forgot about that one, so that was probably the last time. OWU killed the Gennies in the playoff that year, 17-4.

valaxfan
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Fun reading all this, thank you. W&L has had some legendary games over the years for a team that’s never really broken through and gotten to a D3 championship weekend.

The game I always think about was around 2000 when they were #1 or #2 all season but were shocked in the ODAC finals (HSC I believe?) and there were no at-large bids, AQs only. That game single-handedly lead to a change the next year and the introduction of Pool C to D3 lacrosse.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

SouthieLax wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:25 pm Fun reading all this, thank you. W&L has had some legendary games over the years for a team that’s never really broken through and gotten to a D3 championship weekend.

The game I always think about was around 2000 when they were #1 or #2 all season but were shocked in the ODAC finals (HSC I believe?) and there were no at-large bids, AQs only. That game single-handedly lead to a change the next year and the introduction of Pool C to D3 lacrosse.
Yes, the darkest time for Coach Stag and the team. Terrible loss but credit HSC for playing well that day. The year before, we lost to Salisbury in the Semifinals, 10-9, who went on to lose to a great Middlebury team. After the game, some Middlebury players made mention of Sals game and how we might have been the better team but lost and glad we didn't play them. But, as you pointed out, never been to the dance on the weekend. Many of us old timers are still waiting. Hope to see one soon.

valaxfan
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:23 am
Devil4Life wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:15 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:46 am What a great opportunity the Generals have for a shot at redemption. There’s no better cure for a loss than getting a win in your next contest. Hopefully they are primed for their game on the 11th and if successful get a shot at Lynchburg should they win on the 12th. They are in position to post another outstanding season should they get thru the next 2 contests. What makes these games so critical is the fact that W&L has so many youngsters in key roles. These additional games would provide tremendous experience for so many freshman and sophomore’s in key rolls. Having success here would really give them a boost in confidence and set the stage for continued success going into next year. Players like Haley, Cohen, Keller , Spano,Datz, Brennan, De Cain and Donahue ( can Beatty make it back) will all benefit from hopefully these additional games. So glad they made the tournament
Freshman face-off kid is one of the best I’ve seen. He should transfer to UVA.
Why? He would have attended UVA if he wanted to do that. He lives there! (just like Shellenberger)

There is a good reason so many favor W&L….it is highly ranked academically with small classes, and it delivers its graduates high compensation employment after a tremendous college experience.
Tuition and playing in ACC vs ODAC but yes, W&L is a great school academically. Like many of its alumni, wish it were not so Woke now but every higher institution of education has that issue now.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

You are correct. However, many of us are in the full time battle to reverse the attack on tradition and “wake up the woke” with a steady diet of the reality, based on historical facts.
PaulBufano

Post by PaulBufano »

Dehunt, what is your affinity with Beatty?? The kid has a torn ACL he's not coming back, can it you old fart.
AnonymousLaxew1256

Post by AnonymousLaxew1256 »

PaulBufano wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 pm Dehunt, what is your affinity with Beatty?? The kid has a torn ACL he's not coming back, can it you old fart.
Paul, no need to make personal remarks about dehunt, he's a seasoned poster on these forums. However, I am gonna have to agree with you here- give it a rest and stop spending so much of your time worrying about 18-22 year olds.

AL
90sGeneral

Post by 90sGeneral »

Anyone know if some of the injured players are coming back for the weekend games?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

AnonymousLaxew1256 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:41 pm
PaulBufano wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 pm Dehunt, what is your affinity with Beatty?? The kid has a torn ACL he's not coming back, can it you old fart.
Paul, no need to make personal remarks about dehunt, he's a seasoned poster on these forums. However, I am gonna have to agree with you here- give it a rest and stop spending so much of your time worrying about 18-22 year olds.

AL
People, Dehunt, like me, recognizes how important #32 is to this team. Unfortunately, and I should have posted this sooner, he was seen in a leg brace at the RMC game. Too bad, such a great SSDM for the Gennies last year too.

valaxfan
Last edited by valaxfan on Sat May 11, 2024 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

90sGeneral wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:54 pm Anyone know if some of the injured players are coming back for the weekend games?
Allen is a possibility, if his hammy has healed. Beatty is out. Barringer, did not see him on sidelines last game, I am guessing he's out. Mannino is back but in a knee brace. But, we could really use Allen and his darting ability, and stickwork, if he's healthy.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

PB, in Dehunt's defense, he didn't know about the severity of the injury, so he kept wondering, that's all.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

valaxfan wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:44 am
PB, in Dehunt's defense, he didn't know about the severity of the injury, so he kept wondering, that's all.

valaxfan
At the end of the day I’m a fan. I understand how hard players coaches , staff need to work to be successful. When I mention players who are missing it’s because while I’m familiar with people on the team. I’m not going to be intrusive and openly ask about a players health. That’s between the player his family and coaches. What hurts at the D3 level is having a starter go down. There’s not the same depth of talent as you might have at the D1 level. Those that follow the team are aware as to the loss of promising players that have been key players over the years that were lost not just for a season but career. Nothing was sadder than Garrett Mize who jumped off the page his freshman year as a starter. Huge upside dynamic first step had close to 40 pts freshman year. His second year had a severe knee injury. Came back or tried 4 games but had to give it up. Can you imagine how impactful he would have been if he had 3 more years. When I see really great players go down my concern is that they come back and play to their capability. I understand how fortunate I was and my family had been with high school snd college sports to never miss a game. Think about what W& L might have done this year without so many setbacks due to injuries. Coaches and players deserve much respect no matter happens from this point on ! Have fun, enjoy the moment
publaxguy

Post by publaxguy »

Great to see our gennies deep in the playoff yet again. Sticks look relatively sharp and legs are strong. Always room for improvement though.

Another year struggling to play the pick and roll / weave. Need a strategy - switch or hedge!! No chatter.

The man up sets looked abysmal today, and only 2 assisted goals.

Koch and Corrigan absence is tremendously apparent the last few years
Chinstrap

Post by Chinstrap »

publaxguy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 pm Great to see our gennies deep in the playoff yet again. Sticks look relatively sharp and legs are strong. Always room for improvement though.

Another year struggling to play the pick and roll / weave. Need a strategy - switch or hedge!! No chatter.

Hey man, they just advanced to the Elite 8. Maybe settle down.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Chinstrap wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:19 pm
publaxguy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:20 pm Great to see our gennies deep in the playoff yet again. Sticks look relatively sharp and legs are strong. Always room for improvement though.

Corrigan hasn't been there since 2019...not sure he he plays much into the team this year outside of his recruits
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Yes, lets not take too much luster off this great win for Coach M. and boys. Well done and great team win!! I think publlaxguy is just pointing out areas to work on for the next round. Go Gennies!!

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Geez I don’t know I thought they played great. You know how hard it is to beat that good of a team 2x. Plus they both know each other extremely well. Yeah the 2 assists stood out but overall this was a huge win to comeback from after that bump they hit 2 weeks ago. This is a team that is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Hope they came out of this game healthy. It was Heald that came out correct.
??? Will Salisbury double pole the W&L mids
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

They lost to randolph-macon last week...

They need to find another gear with Gulls on the horizon...
5Star

Post by 5Star »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:54 pm

Geez I don’t know I thought they played great. You know how hard it is to beat that good of a team 2x. Plus they both know each other extremely well. Yeah the 2 assists stood out but overall this was a huge win to comeback from after that bump they hit 2 weeks ago. This is a team that is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Hope they came out of this game healthy. It was Heald that came out correct
Most goals W&L has scored against Lynchburg since 1999. Great job!
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:54 pm

Geez I don’t know I thought they played great. You know how hard it is to beat that good of a team 2x. Plus they both know each other extremely well. Yeah the 2 assists stood out but overall this was a huge win to comeback from after that bump they hit 2 weeks ago. This is a team that is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Hope they came out of this game healthy. It was Heald that came out correct.
??? Will Salisbury double pole the W&L mids
Salisbury double poles midfield, make the others generate 1v1 wins. I do think the generals offense can score goals on salisbury, but I don't think their defense is big enough or athletic enough to hang for 60.mins. we will see though cause spano can be a difference maker

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”