Total votes: 44

norcalhop

Re: #3 Hopkins vs Lehigh Sunday @ noon

Post by norcalhop »

Finster wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:32 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:13 pm
StephenBaldwin wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:12 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:01 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:39 pm Hopkins lucks out, Lehigh foookks up.
Yea lucks out with a 3 goal win. Clown take.
“Hopkins is a terrible team. It is what it is. Pathetic showing. Giving up a turnover on last possession and at times not even getting a shot off.”

This was you an hour ago 😂
They aren't a championship caliber team from what they showed today. I don't dispute that. Meanwhile, work on your math.

Hopkins and Syracuse share so much when it comes to lacrosse, and one we can all agree on is their teams’ fans’ passion.

The difference however is quite obvious: Cuse fans seem to expect perfection, while Hopkins fans seem to always expect the worst. Maybe you guys see it differently but this is my experience.

Makes. The. World. Go. Around. 😂
We were taught scientific skepticism in our stem classes.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

StephenBaldwin wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:28 pm
get it to x wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:27 pm Anish..."Gutty win by the Jays"

Quint: "Lehigh still 5-0 in one-goal games".
Quaint might be Stephen on this thread. I hope someone better (a very low bar) is calling the UVa game.
Definitely not quint, didn’t even consider that dumpster fire program
I wouldn't think so. You actually need to have brains to go to Hopkins.
StephenBaldwin

Post by StephenBaldwin »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:36 pm
StephenBaldwin wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:28 pm
get it to x wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:27 pm Anish..."Gutty win by the Jays"

Quint: "Lehigh still 5-0 in one-goal games".
Quaint might be Stephen on this thread. I hope someone better (a very low bar) is calling the UVa game.
Definitely not quint, didn’t even consider that dumpster fire program
I wouldn't think so. You actually need to have brains to go to Hopkins.
You wouldn’t think by watching this team
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:15 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:08 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:01 pm One thing I wanted to note … because of his more aggressive play, Collison even drew a longpole for a while.

Call that progress.

Collison can be a beast … if Crawley and PM allow him to be.

DocBarrister
Collison had a great game, but not sure "aggression" had anything to do with it. 3 of 4 goals were "catch-and-shoot" goals resulting from good ball movement and off-ball play. Off-ball play in general was much better than in the past few weeks.
His catch and shoots often came off a hard dodge by the passer, opening space for him. Bauer’s hard dodge, drawing three defenders, left Collison wide open on one goal.

His dodge and goal against a SSDM was nothing but aggression.

Peshko also had a goal off a hard dodge. So did Degnon with his right hand.

Hard dodges open up those “catch-and-shoots.” Don’t even need to beat their man, just get the opposing D moving.

DocBarrister
First goal- 2-man game with Angelus, who does the definition of a dummy dodge (no intention of going to goal) and Collison slips into space.
Second goal- EMO. Good ball movement. No dodge.
Third goal- defender falls down as Collison dodges from GLE. Was this a "hard dodge"? We'll never know; defender falls, Collison says thanks and scores.
Fourth goal- Bauer sweeping across top, not dodging to goal, Checo (who was excellent otherwise) ball watching and leaves Collison wide open.

All of these goals were generated out of the offense we've been running all year. None stemmed from guys dodging aggressively to goal. Not sure what you mean by "hard dodge", but that's what actually happened on the field.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:39 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:01 pm One thing I wanted to note … because of his more aggressive play, Collison even drew a longpole for a while.

Call that progress.

DocBarrister
Collison had a great game, but not sure "aggression" had anything to do with it. 3 of 4 goals were "catch-and-shoot" goals resulting from good ball movement and off-ball play. Off-ball play in general was much better than in the past few weeks.
His catch and shoots often came off a hard dodge by the passer, opening space for him. Bauer’s hard dodge, drawing three defenders, left Collison wide open on one goal.

Hard dodges open up those “catch-and-shoots.” Don’t even need to beat their man, just get the opposing D moving.

DocBarrister
First goal- 2-man game with Angelus, who does the definition of a dummy dodge (no intention of going to goal) and Collison slips into space.
Third goal- defender falls down as Collison dodges from GLE. Was this a "hard dodge"? We'll never know; defender falls, Collison says thanks and scores.
Fourth goal- Bauer sweeping across top, not dodging to goal, Checo (who was excellent otherwise) ball watching and leaves Collison wide open.

All of these goals were generated out of the offense we've been running all year. None stemmed from guys dodging aggressively to goal. Not sure what you mean by "hard dodge", but that's what actually happened on the field.
I didn't see any changes in offensive scheme either. Rather some iso dodges by Bauer, Peshko, and Degnon that actually worked this time around.

Against a better defense, we'll see what happens.
Finster

Post by Finster »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 pm
Finster wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:32 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:13 pm
“Hopkins is a terrible team. It is what it is. Pathetic showing. Giving up a turnover on last possession and at times not even getting a shot off.”

They aren't a championship caliber team from what they showed today. I don't dispute that. Meanwhile, work on your math.

Hopkins and Syracuse share so much when it comes to lacrosse, and one we can all agree on is their teams’ fans’ passion.

The difference however is quite obvious: Cuse fans seem to expect perfection, while Hopkins fans seem to always expect the worst. Maybe you guys see it differently but this is my experience.

Makes. The. World. Go. Around. 😂
We were taught scientific skepticism in our stem classes.

Seems right 😂
primitiveskills

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:43 pm

Call that progress.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

I didn't see any changes in offensive scheme either. Rather some iso dodges by Bauer, Peshko, and Degnon that actually worked this time around.

Against a better defense, we'll see what happens.
Agree. Just ran their stuff better, particularly off-ball. Sixteen weeks into the season its pretty unlikely we'll see any major changes. In the first half you could tell they were trying to force transition and early offense. It's just not their game.

Next week they won't see a better defense than they did today. Hopefully the next "better defense" is on Memorial Day weekend!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You're doing yeoman's work but I wouldn't bother. As much as it's possible for something to be lost on someone, this is lost on him. He will keep repeating "tulip" over and over again until the season is over, and probably well after that too.

Noticed Collison did not even get HM honors in the USA Lax Mag AA list...wonder if he was thinking about that today. Some middies on that list are not even capable of scoring 4 goals in a game — Collie's done it twice in two huge moments.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Call that progress.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

Not even sure what the debate is here … all lacrosse offenses, even “positionless motion offenses” need aggressive dodging to work. Aggressive dodges, aggressive passes, aggressive off-ball movement … that’s what gets opposing Ds moving. The triad, if you will. Blue Jays were lacking the first element, especially from midfield.

Hard dodges are dodges that get the defense moving. In recent games, the Big Guys were too passive on offense.

Bauer’s dodge up top was aggressive enough to draw several defenders. Not even a matter of going to the net. Bauer was dodging to the middle of the field and looked to have a shot from range. That’s why the Lehigh defenders started sliding to him. That left Collison open for the goal.

Collison’s dodge was aggressive enough to make a SSDM twist and fall. It is what it is.

Grimes dodged hard to the net and got a good look.

Peshko dodged hard down the alley and scored a goal.

Degnon dodged hard and scored right-handed.

We haven’t seen enough of that in recent games.

The box score shows the success of that approach.

Just watch the Virginia game again … we need Collison, Peshko, and Grimes to dodge hard next week.

That’s not even debatable … that’s just a fact.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:49 pm

You're doing yeoman's work but I wouldn't bother. As much as it's possible for something to be lost on someone, this is lost on him. He will keep repeating "tulip" over and over again until the season is over, and probably well after that too.

Noticed Collison did not even get HM honors in the USA Lax Mag AA list...wonder if he was thinking about that today. Some middies on that list are not even capable of scoring 4 goals in a game — Collie's done it twice in two huge moments.
It’s not just me.

Quint Kessenich knows more about lacrosse than just about everyone on this forum.

He also has a national championship under his belt. Doubt many of you here do.

Don’t care what any of you think of him as a broadcaster. He knows his lacrosse.

And Quint has remarked multiple times on the Blue Jays’ “conservative” offense and described it as “minimally invasive.”

Call it “minimally invasive” or “Tulip Ball” … QK and I are talking about the same thing.

Some of you have a hard time accepting that maybe you didn’t see this problem.

I don’t think the more aggressive play by Collison and others is an accident.

The problem is real. They moved forward today in fixing it. Good to see.

Meanwhile, if you disagree with Quint … take it up with him. I’m sure he will school you thoroughly.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

no he doesn't. 47.
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:59 pm

It’s not just me.

Quint Kessenich knows more about lacrosse than just about everyone on this forum.

Don’t care what any of you think of him as a broadcaster. He knows his lacrosse.

And Quint has remarked multiple times on the Blue Jays’ “conservative” offense and described it as “minimally invasive.”

Call it “minimally invasive” or “Tulip Ball” … QK and I are talking about the same thing.

Meanwhile, if you disagree with Quint … take it up with him. I’m sure he will school you thoroughly.

DocBarrister
Quint is paid to have a narrative. "Non-invasive" is simply the new "not athletic enough".
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

lol got em. Love seeing DocBarrister look like a moron.
JayBlue

Post by JayBlue »

Hooz123 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:19 pm

Chill out Hooz. Being a dope for fun is one thing and your choice but don’t be flat out rude. Doc didn’t even say that any way…
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

"Bauer’s dodge up top was aggressive enough to draw several defenders. Not even a matter of going to the net. Bauer was dodging to the middle of the field and looked to have a shot from range. That’s why the Lehigh defenders started sliding to him. That left Collison open for the goal."

Exactly, Bauer ended up with 3 defenders following his hard run across teh top. (if to be a "dodge", one has to be technically moving towards the goal). Collison was wide open with time to order a dog from Q's favorite food truck.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

JayBlue wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:23 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:19 pm

Chill out Hooz. Being a dope for fun is one thing and your choice but don’t be flat out rude. Doc didn’t even say that any way…
Fair enough. I'm fired up. GO HOOS
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:15 pm

It’s not just me.

DocBarrister
Quint is paid to have a narrative. "Non-invasive" is simply the new "not athletic enough".
Or … that’s simply what he sees on the field. He is not the only one.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:15 pm

It’s not just me.

DocBarrister
He's absolutely right that Hopkins is going to need to push some pace and score outside of 6 v 6 if it wants to win next weekend and through MD. It shouldn't go unnoticed that the game to put the team up 2 was Smiths bomb from the almost opposite restraining line.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Doc's lemon trees must grow well given all the fertilizer from the dead horses he beats. Hard dodging is juat the latest in a long line of cliche's - notions he picks up and then sticks to them like glue no matter the evidence. Hopkins did not win yesterday because of harder dodging - BTW I ve watched every single second of Hopkins play this season and I haven't seen this "soft" dodging you speak of. The fact of the matter is Hopkins is not a great dodging team - hard or soft - they rely on motion/unselfishness/and better than decent shooting in the offensive end. Hopkins won yesterday because of:
- Chayse
- Dunn
- Smith
- A defense that despite suffering a significant possession disadvantage held up very well - Lehigh is a decent match-up for Hopkins in that (to QK's point) they don't look as much to skip passes and backside drift aways for time and rooms. It's all window dressing to go deep in the shot clock and then someone goes. That's an offense the Hopkins defense should be pretty comfortable with - very good on ball defense with opportunistic double teams.
- No penalties called - is that the first game this year?
- Offensively? 13 goals on 36 shots - mid 30's shot percentage

There seems to be alot of doomsday notions for next Sunday given UVA's performance vs Hopkins performance and certainly the presence of UVA's #1 face-off man could make a big difference. And anytime you line up against stars like Shellenberger/Cormier/Schutz etc. there are justifiable concerns they will go off. I will say, however, I think the Cavs will be facing a completely different defense than the one they saw on Saturday which at times was awful. Always hard to beat a talented team twice.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”