NCAA Tournament 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
balderdash

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by balderdash »

NCAA pays for a travel party of 50, limits bench area to 50 including coaches, medical, administrator, limits roster of eligible players to enter the game to 32.

I think the intent of the 32 is so a 80 roster team doesn't put in their 4th teamers in the 2nd half to try and make the Sunday games more competitive / keep the parity between disparate roster sizes if the talent distribution is close at the top end.
Laxguy92

Post by Laxguy92 »

balderdash wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:27 am NCAA pays for a travel party of 50, limits bench area to 50 including coaches, medical, administrator, limits roster of eligible players to enter the game to 32.

I think the intent of the 32 is so a 80 roster team doesn't put in their 4th teamers in the 2nd half to try and make the Sunday games more competitive / keep the parity between disparate roster sizes if the talent distribution is close at the top end.
As touched on before the 32 that wear patches can go in the game, so they can’t put in 4th teamers in the second half because they’re not in the top 32. What’s the problem with the rest of the guys (in the stands) being suited up on the sideline without a patch but being a part of the game/atmosphere with their teammates?

Would think it’s the least they’ve earned after all of their hard work.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Laxguy92 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:10 pm
balderdash wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:27 am NCAA pays for a travel party of 50, limits bench area to 50 including coaches, medical, administrator, limits roster of eligible players to enter the game to 32.

As touched on before the 32 that wear patches can go in the game, so they can’t put in 4th teamers in the second half because they’re not in the top 32. What’s the problem with the rest of the guys (in the stands) being suited up on the sideline without a patch but being a part of the game/atmosphere with their teammates?

Would think it’s the least they’ve earned after all of their hard work.
The teams with astronomical cash flow/endowments to get all the players there, together, etc, would look like they’re rolling in 60 players to play programs visually of half that size sideline wise.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Union and Wesleyan still hosting today.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes. WTL’s bizarrely angry contribution was also completely wrong. The traveling roster is also just that, it includes coaches and staff. If you are bringing 65 players, for almost half of those the NCAA is paying neither travel nor hotel nor food. This was the case in 2016 also, there has never been an unlimited number of numbers covered. For the rest, they are on their own. Usually the school will cover them but, depending on the numbers and the school finances, not always for everyone.
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

Big day for the Bucket Family:

My employer, where I've lent my PA voice for the past 20-odd years (Middlebury), my alma mater and the team I grew up cheering for (W&L), and my son's soon-to-be-school (Dickinson) all in action today, with one head-to-head matchup.

Should be a great day of lacrosse. Go Panthers.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I don’t think it makes sense to require the NCAA to pay for teams with 50-60 guys on the roster, plus 10-15 staff, plus whoever else. Just not reasonable (and honestly there is zero reason to have a roster that large). I do think that the players who aren’t active should be allowed on the sideline in street clothes, making them sit in the stands like fans is kind of insulting.

Regardless, there’s a more annoying issue…so many games starting simultaneously instead of being staggered throughout the afternoon. Happens every year - four games start at 3 PM today, and IIRC last year it even happened in the quarterfinals. Such a basic “grow the game” thing that they still manage to screw up.
DTL94

Post by DTL94 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:05 pm

Yes. WTL’s bizarrely angry contribution was also completely wrong. The traveling roster is also just that, it includes coaches and staff. If you are bringing 65 players, for almost half of those the NCAA is paying neither travel nor hotel nor food. This was the case in 2016 also, there has never been an unlimited number of numbers covered. For the rest, they are on their own. Usually the school will cover them but, depending on the numbers and the school finances, not always for everyone.
Not sure if you can’t type DTL or are calling someone else out but would be curious to hear what about my comment was wrong. (I’ll contribute you calling my post “angry” to your sensitivity). I think that people should be sharing correct & accurate information.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Bucket wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:14 pm Big day for the Bucket Family:

My employer, where I've lent my PA voice for the past 20-odd years (Middlebury), my alma mater and the team I grew up cheering for (W&L), and my son's soon-to-be-school (Dickinson) all in action today, with one head-to-head matchup.

Should be a great day of lacrosse. Go Panthers.
That's amazing!
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DTL94 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:18 pm

Not sure if you can’t type DTL or are calling someone else out but would be curious to hear what about my comment was wrong. (I’ll contribute you calling my post “angry” to your sensitivity). I think that people should be sharing correct & accurate information.
“the entire team travels, stays in a hotel and eats on the NCAA’s dime”. No, they don’t. That is wrong. Not sure why you are so hostile but you are wrong. And you have no idea what you are taking about. There has always been a cap on the number of players and staff the NCAA pays for. As it should be. 65 players rosters are ridiculous and done to get money from heads in beds. The NCAA doesn’t want it pay for all of them to save money. That’s life.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:53 pm

“the entire team travels, stays in a hotel and eats on the NCAA’s dime”. No, they don’t. That is wrong. Not sure why you are so hostile but you are wrong. And you have no idea what you are taking about. There has always been a cap on the number of players and staff the NCAA pays for. As it should be. 65 players rosters are ridiculous and done to get money from heads in beds. The NCAA doesn’t want it pay for all of them to save money. That’s life.
[/quote

Simple solution. Roster 32 and let the remainder dress. No one get hurt in this scenario
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Don’t think players should dress if they aren’t active/eligible to play. Should definitely be on the sidelines if they are on site though.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

ah23 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:30 pm Don’t think players should dress if they aren’t active/eligible to play. Should definitely be on the sidelines if they are on site though.
This was a rule that started last year. Players who are eligible to play are given an NCAA patch to wear during the game that signifies they are able to. I guess they did it to make players feel more included and be able to warm up. Still a ridiculous rule that not everyone can suit up.
DTL94

Post by DTL94 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:53 pm

If you think players are paying for hotels, meals and travel I don’t really know what to tell you. I am more than happy to admit that I am wrong and I apologize if you are interpreting this as “hostile”. I believe it would have been a point of conversation in the locker room if guys were putting their card down as a college student to go to a NCAA tournament game.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Anyone watching the Tufts-Stevenson game? The scoreboard chyron is backwards, right?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

SixBySix wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:25 pm Anyone watching the Tufts-Stevenson game? The scoreboard chyron is backwards, right?
Yes IL's Scores page is accurate tho.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

If only there was a resource where you could look this up, instead of guessing... Oh wait, there is. Google it.

32 players, plus 5 more for a total of 37 in the official travel party. 13 others can be in the bench area, 2 or which must be medical personnel.

You can find it all here: https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/5/d ... rosse.aspx
DTL94

Post by DTL94 »

I appreciate the copy and paste - huge value add. Unfortunately the link provided does not specify the NCAA’s financial obligations for teams traveling and I’m still waiting to hear about players putting their card down to stay in a hotel with the team.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Just take the L kid. We have gone from the NCAA putting the entire teams’ travel, hotel and meals in its “dime” to pleading that players aren’t putting it on their credit cards. I’m sure they aren’t bro. They aren’t putting their tuition on their credit cards either. But their parents are! You are basing what can’t even really be called an argument on what you heard in a locker room. Looks like all of that disinformation that so offends you…is coming from you. You can keep backpedaling or watch some games but there is no path to being right.
DTL94

Post by DTL94 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:06 pm Just take the L kid. We have gone from the NCAA putting the entire teams’ travel, hotel and meals in its “dime” to pleading that players aren’t putting it on their credit cards. I’m sure they aren’t bro. They aren’t putting their tuition on their credit cards either. But their parents are! You are basing what can’t even really be called an argument on what you heard in a locker room. Looks like all of that disinformation that so offends you…is coming from you. You can keep backpedaling or watch some games but there is no path to being right.
It doesn’t sound like you ever played and I don’t know when I was pleading or backpedaling. Also I am not sure you are familiar with the demographics of D3 lacrosse families but I don’t think a lot of these parents are “putting tuition on their credit cards”. The majority of the top 30 D3 schools starters could easily play and get a scholarship to a lower tier D1 school, but they are fortunate to have the option to have parents that can afford to allow them to play at a great D3 lacrosse school without going into a lot of debt or “putting it on their card”.

Also I was fortunate to have a great locker room where if we knew teammates were having to pay to cheer the team on from the bleachers, the players & parents would have all chipped in to make sure no kid who ran sprints all year had to pay for the privilege to cheer his own team on.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”