Saint Joseph’s
31%

Total votes: 35

AreaLax

#6 Virginia vs Saint Joseph’s Saturday @ noon

Post by AreaLax »

Let’s go

Anish Shroff & Quint Kessenich are calling this game
Last edited by AreaLax on Thu May 09, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
coda

Re: #6 Virginia vs Saint Joseph’s Saturday @ noon

Post by coda »

UVA - 4.5
ML: -590/+410
HopFan16

Re: #6 Virginia vs Saint Joseph’s Saturday a noon

Post by HopFan16 »

No way Shelly lets them lose in his last game on Klockner, right?

St. Joe's is not gonna roll over but kinda feel like this may not be quite as close as people are expecting.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Think UVA has too much talent to let this one go. If they value the ball and the D makes [much] better slide decisions, I think they’re in decent shape.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:09 am No way Shelly lets them lose in his last game on Klockner, right?

St. Joe's is not gonna roll over but kinda feel like this may not be quite as close as people are expecting.
literally the only thing that gives me a better feeling heading into it with the teams' trajectories is the number of people calling for an upset special. sadly, that matters not a whit to the players and how they'll each perform. st joe's had next to no traction before wray got there. guy can coach and build a program, and his message to recruits is genuine.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

I think this will ultimately come down to Nunes in cage. He has to make stops. He's had one 50%+ (52%) game in the past 4 games. 0% vs duke, 45% cuse, 52% ND and then 32% vs ND in ACC tourney.

If St Joe's can compete at faceoffs and shoot well, I think this can be closer than expected. Also, don't sleep on Levi Verch. I imagine he'll be on Shelly.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Obviously, one of the more competitive games to tune in to,

Hawks with those key 5th year players - are on a true roll.

I don't see UVA as being nearly as physical a team as SJU.

A real key will be the sophomore goalie, only 12 starts, how does he handle the limelight of the NCAAs ?
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

This feels like a game that's either a back and forth slugfest for the entire game or UVA winning in a rout with little in-between. I know everyone thinks UVA could be in trouble here but this also seems like a game you could turn on and UVA is up 9-3 or 10-1 early 2nd quarter.

Key to me is how UVA responds to the 10 man. ND caused them all sorts of problems with it the last two matchups especially the regular season one in the 2nd half. St. Joes is relentless in their ride and 10 man but if UVA can break it I think St. Joes is gonna struggle to slow down that UVA offense. UVA's D has not been great but St. Joes also hasn't seen a trio of close defenders like UVA has all year and I am not sure St. Joes has the off ball guys to punish UVA that ND and Cuse and Duke do. UVA moneyline feels like the play here, Cormier and Shellenberger aren't losing a 1st round game in their Sr years.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:09 am No way Shelly lets them lose in his last game on Klockner, right?

this one seems to have the most volatility of the 1st round games. UVa can play out of control in the midfield of the field. St Josephs ride is real. They create a ton on turnovers and people are only clearing at 75% against them. UVA has the athletes to own the middle of the field and they pretty solid on the ride and causing turnovers also. If UVa plays under control, this should be a comfortable win.
molo

Post by molo »

St Joe hasn’t lost in ages while the hosts are staggering into the tournament plagued by the Cumberland Blues. The again, look who has beaten them: the number one team in the country (twice), a conference rival who has their number, and two traditional powers who are notably “back” this year. Five losses to the top four seeds is significant, and the vulnerabilities exposed in those losses remain, but I don’t expect UVA to lose to an intriguing team that is realistically about like their rival from the capital of the Commonwealth. UVA by about five to advance to a rematch with Hopkins.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I think Virginia will pull out the win, but I will be rooting for St. Joe’s. They can certainly earn the upset.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I'd be careful on the St Joe 10 man ride.

Richmond got some cheapies, and I suspect UVA will get more than a few.
Last thing you want is to give up cheap goals to UVA and have to climb out of a hole.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:04 pm I'd be careful on the St Joe 10 man ride.

Richmond got some cheapies, and I suspect UVA will get more than a few.
Last thing you want is to give up cheap goals to UVA and have to climb out of a hole.
Richmond also had 8 failed clears which 4 led to St Joes goals. Their ride is legit and they play very physical with the big boys they have on both sides of the ball. Thing is UVA is way more athletic and skilled then St Joes. St Joes 3 attackman can score but have they faced defenders like they will with UVA? They played Duke early in the yr and struggled. I can see St Joes hanging early and they will get to around 10 goals or so but UVA should hang 15 or 16 on them. I see 16 - 10 UVA as their athleticism and skill take over in the 2nd half. I'm a huge fan of Carter Page the Canadian attackman. That kid can score from any angle and keep him away from the cage he will finish as good as anyone. I'm rooting for St Joes but just think they are a good solid top 20 team but not on UVA level.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Game is in the 8th inning, except that, its a tie game - still guessing game will complete by noon.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Hey we are here for this matchup.

Not saying the following will lead to victory, but St Joe’s is awfully excited in warmups, whereas UVA seems subdued.

Now, that’s either gonna mean St Joe’s blew their energy before the opening whistle, or UVA isn’t interested in prolonging the season, or UVA saves their energy for when it counts, or St Joe’s came to win. Take your pick.

Also, UVA must have ten audiovisual techs hanging around their end, while St Joe’s has zero. Make of that what you will.

If I see anything interesting today in the game, I’ll try to post.
Finster

Post by Finster »

St Joe’s GK #34 looks sharp. Fast.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Finster wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:39 am Hey we are here for this matchup.

Not saying the following will lead to victory, but St Joe’s is awfully excited in warmups, whereas UVA seems subdued.

Now, that’s either gonna mean St Joe’s blew their energy before the opening whistle, or UVA isn’t interested in prolonging the season, or UVA saves their energy for when it counts, or St Joe’s came to win. Take your pick.

Also, UVA must have ten audiovisual techs hanging around their end, while St Joe’s has zero. Make of that what you will.

If I see anything interesting today in the game, I’ll try to post.
UVa has been here before. They are dialed in.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:44 pm I think Virginia will pull out the win, but I will be rooting for St. Joe’s. They can certainly earn the upset.

DocBarrister
Wow, DocBarrister rooting against UVa? Gee, what a shock!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

All right, two outs, bottom 9th, still 8 minutes to game time.
Should make it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

All over - game time.

St Joe's is going to beat on you, Cavs.
They don't care.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”