ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:27 pm FFS, stop the b*tching and whining. If more Ivy teams had won more games, they would have made the tourney. You sound like a bunch of ACC fans.
BigTen?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ctbagataway wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 pm Exactly. I had the same reaction to the ND "snub" in 2022. It doesn't matter how many 5 stars recruits you have on the roster, or that you won your last three games. The entire season matters. Every game. Win more games and you will make the tournament. I wouldn't change that. It can't be about using the eye test to pick the teams that you subjectively feel are playing the best at the end of the year. There has to be a value to winning big games throughout the season.
Exactly…..as for ND in 2022….it is a false equivalency until I hear Quint, Anish, Carc and lax Twitter crying about Yale or Cornell not getting in…Yale in particular. Given how it fell, hard to justify another Ivy League school getting in this year. Michigan probably has someone’s slot. Maybe even Army’s?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:14 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 pm Exactly. I had the same reaction to the ND "snub" in 2022. It doesn't matter how many 5 stars recruits you have on the roster, or that you won your last three games. The entire season matters. Every game. Win more games and you will make the tournament. I wouldn't change that. It can't be about using the eye test to pick the teams that you subjectively feel are playing the best at the end of the year. There has to be a value to winning big games throughout the season.
Exactly…..as for ND in 2022….it is a false equivalency until I hear Quint, Anish, Carc and lax Twitter crying about Yale or Cornell not getting in…Yale in particular. Given how it fell, hard to justify another Ivy League school getting in this year. Michigan probably has someone’s slot. Maybe even Army’s?
The shame for Yale is that with either of their two top FOGOs healthy for the year they were a tournament team. Hell, they had a chance if #3 was 100%. But they weren't, and they didn't deserve a spot because of it.
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

Yale had a great season considering the injuries..Will be very interesting to see them next year with all of them back...
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

mdk01 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:31 pm
The shame for Yale is that with either of their two top FOGOs healthy for the year they were a tournament team. Hell, they had a chance if #3 was 100%. But they weren't, and they didn't deserve a spot because of it.
It was a great season -- fun to watch, fun to root for -- and Coach Shay deservedly won coach of the year. I like to think things might have broken differently without that last bit of injury bad luck to the FOGOs, but in all honestly, maybe not? Princeton has really had Yale's number -- Gianforcaro who is always great in net has above elite in his games against Yale, so it's possible the Tigers would have still swept Yale even with healthy FOGOs. We'll never know.

Anyway, on to the tournament -- hoping Princeton can keep this current run of strong play going and get the win over the Terps. And just generally hoping for some great matchups.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Even more than what people have said, I think the issue comes down to a few basic, not necessarily or completely mutually consistent, principles:
  • Principle 1: In any given year there are a number of teams with a reasonable chance to win the NC. Ideally, what % of them should be in the tournament? (I would argue that ideally 100% of them + all conference winners. But this is just my opinion.)
  • Principle 2: The rules are the rules, and inasmuch as all teams are subject to the same rules, there are no grounds for complaining.
  • Principle 3: Except for the quality of competition, configurations and membership in individual conferences ought not have differential impact on which teams get the opportunity to play in the tournament. But this principle needs some unpacking. For example, if four teams in each of two different leagues are of equal quality (i.e., they all satisfy Condition 1 of reasonably being a contender, then the size of their respective leagues of the quality of the remaining teams in their leagues ought not unduly influence their selection.
I actually think Principle 3 is a corollary to Principle 1. I also think Principle 2 must apply de facto, but since it applies to a wide range of rules, it alone cannot justify any system or rules intended to achieve the other principles.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you are so anti-nd 2022 championship, it's crazy.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 pm
I am anti the lacrosse media whining over ND not getting an invite that season. It’s not ND….it’s the Quint, Carc and Anish among others…. “The committee didn’t include a blue blood”….it was a “club team” when I was in college.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:59 pm
I am anti the lacrosse media whining over ND not getting an invite that season. It’s not ND….it’s the Quint, Carc and Anish among others…. “The committee didn’t include a blue blood”….it was a “club team” when I was in college.
Let’s just call them the “ball-garglers club.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:59 pm
Let’s just call them the “ball-garglers club.”
https://www.wwe.com/videos/the-spirit-s ... an-23-2006
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

I wish Princeton was putting out a better effort for the Ivy League tonight. Utterly disappointing. Young team but this is gross right now.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Same as it ever was. Cupcake League. yawn
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 pm Same as it ever was. Cupcake League. yawn
Haha we’ve found the ball-gargler!
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 pm Same as it ever was. Cupcake League. yawn
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Well, Cinderella’s coach turned back into a pumpkin. I’m sorry that Princeton (and its great goalie) didn’t have their best day, but congratulations to the Tigers on a fine season.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:34 pm
Fun fact - did you know your dusty Ivy league rep got manhandled by UMD twice and Duke, the only real teams they played all year? I guess you can brag about how you beat a dusty old historically crappy UNC team. BYE BYE.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:56 pm
Fun fact - did you know your dusty Ivy league rep got manhandled by UMD twice and Duke, the only real teams they played all year? I guess you can brag about how you beat a dusty old historically crappy UNC team. BYE BYE.
Mmmm gargle gargle. Byeeeee
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:56 pm
Mmmm gargle gargle. Byeeeee
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

A couple more pending league storylines:

1. Who will be the new Brown HC?

2. And where will the remaining 5th year transfers end up? Inside Lacrosse has done a good job covering the destinations of guys like Wirtheim (UNC), Blake (Duke), Campisi (ND), and Monfort (Hopkins). I’m glad those players will get a full four years of lacrosse although for competitive balance will also be glad when the COVID transfer window closes. Is it correct that there will be one more year of such transfers (class of 2025)?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:28 pm A couple more pending league storylines:

1. Who will be the new Brown HC?

2. And where will the remaining 5th year transfers end up? Inside Lacrosse has done a good job covering the destinations of guys like Wirtheim (UNC), Blake (Duke), Campisi (ND), and Monfort (Hopkins). I’m glad those players will get a full four years of lacrosse although for competitive balance will also be glad when the COVID transfer window closes. Is it correct that there will be one more year of such transfers (class of 2025)?
One more year of transfers from Ivy and D3, rest of D1 is out of extra Covid eligibility (I think!). It was a horrible decision to grant it at the time and the fact that it will still be affecting teams in 2025 is madness but here we are. Hoping for a healthy Yale next year and a once again extremely competitive league.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”