Tewaaraton Award 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BigTurn

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by BigTurn »

Finalists are out. Brandau is almost certainly done with no tournament appearance, will be one of Shelly, PKav, Oneill, or Entenmann
Finster

Post by Finster »

BigTurn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:20 pm Finalists are out. Brandau is almost certainly done with no tournament appearance, will be one of Shelly, PKav, Oneill, or Entenmann

You’re assuming one of those ‘tournament’ guys excels the next two weeks.

I still say it’s Brandau’s. His PPG lead over everyone is too large to ignore.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Finster wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:37 pm
BigTurn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:20 pm Finalists are out. Brandau is almost certainly done with no tournament appearance, will be one of Shelly, PKav, Oneill, or Entenmann

I believe it was Anish last week who said there’s never been a tewaaraton winner from a team who missed the tourney. I don’t see that changing with the talent still in it.
Finster

Post by Finster »

BigTurn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:41 pm

I believe it was Anish last week who said there’s never been a tewaaraton winner from a team who missed the tourney. I don’t see that changing with the talent still in it.

It was a bizarre year. And there always a first time.

If any of the other four have a remarkable run to championship Monday, sure, I see it. We also know the committee is itching to give it to O’Neil or PKav.

Yet I keep looking at Brandau’s PPG lead over the next closest. Hes a full point over his closest competitor. That’s a big deal.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Finster wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 pm

If any of the other four have a remarkable run to championship Monday, sure, I see it. We also know the committee is itching to give it to O’Neil or PKav.

Yet I keep looking at Brandau’s PPG lead over the next closest. Hes a full point over his closest competitor. That’s a big deal.
Not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t see it happening personally. By the time one of these guys likely hoist the trophy on MD, Brandau will have been golfing for 3 weeks. There’s a lot of recency bias. Will have to watch and see.
Finster

Post by Finster »

BigTurn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:56 pm
Finster wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 pm

Not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t see it happening personally. By the time one of these guys likely hoist the trophy on MD, Brandau will have been golfing for 3 weeks. There’s a lot of recency bias. Will have to watch and see.

Agreed.

If it must go to a tournament team, I hope Shellenberger would win it if for no other reason than I think he got robbed last year. He’s been, imo, the best D1 player now for 3 straight years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's not going to be Brandau. The other four guys all have opportunities to make their cases and will have Carc fawning over them for weeks on national TV. Zero chance Brandau's candidacy will survive that.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

Fairly or unfairly, doubt it will go to guy whose team out of tourney. I see the case for all five - and,I'd add Kirst.
lorin

Post by lorin »

NYlax222 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:32 pm Fairly or unfairly, doubt it will go to guy whose team out of tourney. I see the case for all five - and,I'd add Kirst.
What is your case for ONeil? He was great in 8th grade or he was MVP of the world games that 10 college teams could win? Or because Carc says he’s the best lol
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I love Matt Brandau but being a finalist IS the prize for him this year with Yale not making the tournament. (And maybe he'll win one of the other awards if less-postseason-focused.) Pretty interesting horse race between the other four -- if one of them puts in 2-3 dominant big number outings en route to the finals, he'll have it. I'm going to guess that Pat Kavanagh wins it -- I think Notre Dame will dominate in the early rounds giving him big numbers and meaning that Entenmann won't need to stand on his head for ND to win. But those are four great players and their Tewaaraton candidacy is another interesting story line in the tournament.
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

lorin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:41 pm
NYlax222 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:32 pm Fairly or unfairly, doubt it will go to guy whose team out of tourney. I see the case for all five - and,I'd add Kirst.
What is your case for ONeil? He was great in 8th grade or he was MVP of the world games that 10 college teams could win? Or because Carc says he’s the best lol
Lorin: you're right. the "case" i see for him is the hype/reputation, not because i believe this year's body of work deserves it. Obviously a super great player, but have seen too many games (ND most certainly) where he's shut down, or, oddly, passive. If had vote, would rank him 5th of the group, and behind Kirst as well. Thanks for asking me to clarify. Cheers.
lorin

Post by lorin »

NYlax222 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:57 pm
lorin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:41 pm
Lorin: you're right. the "case" i see for him is the hype/reputation, not because i believe this year's body of work deserves it. Obviously a super great player, but have seen too many games (ND most certainly) where he's shut down, or, oddly, passive. If had vote, would rank him 5th of the group, and behind Kirst as well. Thanks for asking me to clarify. Cheers.
My fight is not with O’Neil more the people that vote for The finalists, other players are working their ass off and if they have a great year they should be rewarded, they are turning yearly awards into body of work awards, again he’s not top 10 in any of the 3 main categories, please name the last offensive final five finalists that was not top five in one of those categories. PPG, APG , GPG, ESPN guys get paid to hype the sport I get it but they are embarrassing them selfs to guys like us that watch A ton of games.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... -americans

O'Neill is not even a 1st teamer. No chance he wins imo.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Brandau's trophy to lift unless Pat Kavanagh does something other-worldly over the next few weeks.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:42 pm

I love Matt Brandau but being a finalist IS the prize for him this year with Yale not making the tournament. (And maybe he'll win one of the other awards if less-postseason-focused.) Pretty interesting horse race between the other four -- if one of them puts in 2-3 dominant big number outings en route to the finals, he'll have it. I'm going to guess that Pat Kavanagh wins it -- I think Notre Dame will dominate in the early rounds giving him big numbers and meaning that Entenmann won't need to stand on his head for ND to win. But those are four great players and their Tewaaraton candidacy is another interesting story line in the tournament.
Yep. Brandau’s finalist designation is pretty much the Tewaaraton version of a participation trophy.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:07 pm Brandau's trophy to lift unless Pat Kavanagh does something other-worldly over the next few weeks.

Agreed.

I think others here are betting on past history of needing to be in the tournament. Brandau’s PPG margin is too big to ignore. And no one else in the group of four other finalists has distinguished themselves so much (yet…) that they’ve knocked Brandau down a peg.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Finster wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:56 am Agreed.
If Yale played a weak schedule, I think Brandau would have some trouble getting over the fence. This not being the case, I don't think the committee will punish a player because he plays for a (slightly) weaker team. Keeping in mind, Yale didn't suck. They just didn't qualify for the tourney.
Caddy Day
Finster

Post by Finster »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:09 am
Finster wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:56 am Agreed.
If Yale played a weak schedule, I think Brandau would have some trouble getting over the fence. This not being the case, I don't think the committee will punish a player because he plays for a (slightly) weaker team. Keeping in mind, Yale didn't suck. They just didn't qualify for the tourney.

^^^ Agreed again on all
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

If Kav leads his team to the championship again he's definitely winning it. If O'Neal turns it on and leads Duke to the finals again he may win it. If Shelly goes on a tear like his freshman yr in tournament then he could win it. Anyone who is not in the tournament just doesn't have a chance. The voters will remember the tourney and who stepped up in the biggest games of their lives. That's why no one who didn't make the tournament ever won it. If Cornell made it then Kirst would have a chance too. U can have a great season but the superstar who shines when it counts the most and leads his team to a championship or championship game has the best chance to win it.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tewaaraton winners: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tewaarato ... recipients

The Tewaaraton Winners go to the tourney and they win within the tourney (at least one game). Historically. It's an interesting point. Would Doug Shanahan or Dylan Molloy have won the trophy if Hofstra/Brown didn't go to the tourney and win at least one game? It's not a ridiculous criteria. Shanahan, Molloy, Baum, etc. weren't just great players. They were great players that transformed their non-perennial powerhouse teams into a much better team than they had been historically. Might be something to that.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”