NCAA Tournament 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
twohandsonestick

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by twohandsonestick »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:10 pm Endicott will beat swarthmore this weekend. They are a complete team
Week in and week out, whether it was IL, US Lacrosse Mag or USILA, I’d watch Swarthmore climb the ranks and laugh out loud that this program made its way to #3 at a point in time. Don’t get me wrong, very impressive season and to see where they’ve come from a few years ago I have profound respect for the seniors who helped build that program as well as the coaching staff. But this Swarthmore team has seen success due to down years from the Bullets and F&M who have dominated the conference in the past – wouldn’t be surprised if they return to the typical in conference performance as Gburg and F&M rebuild this offseason.

Now back to the game at hand. Endicott has a small chance at winning this, but I do have them on alert for making a first round upset. Nick Pagluiso (hearing he has a few options to play BigTen lacrosse) and Nick Graap make up a strong attack unit bolstered by Guerin Favreau’s blistering speed and lethal shooting on the run. Excited to throw this game on the TV Saturday as I expect it to be a nailbiter!
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

I'm a Cavs Alumni. Homer here. Cabrini is taking the pod this weekend. Burn the boats!

Right or wrong. We're still taking the weekend!

ROLL CAVS FOREVER!!!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:15 pm
The12lov3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:02 pm
Prepschoolkid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:43 pm
twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 am Touching on the Friday games since they're on the slate tomorrow. RIT wins their game effortlessly easily, covering a 15-20 goal spread in my opinion. They’ve been mostly dominant all year and are proven perennial contenders and Hope is no where close to playing at the same level.

The Denison vs. Babson game is an interesting one – Babson is filled with experienced players thanks to a senior laden class as well as a handful of grad students (clear advantage over teams that don’t offer the ability of a 5th year). The Beavers are putting together what’s been likely their best season in recent memory and are definitely deserving of a top 10-15 ranking. Denison has been a national powerhouse for 10+ years thanks to the consistent quality of play seen during those Caravana years. With a new coach at the helm, the program has seen 2 “down” years, and while still making NCAA postseason runs, doesn’t quite seem to be at the level it was a 3-4 years ago. No doubt it takes a few years for coaches to get their mark on a program as their own recruiting classes come to fruition and I expect Denison to continue to compete for national championships for years to come. This is what makes the 3pm game so interesting – Babson, the unproven new team on the block versus a well-regarded Denison program. I wouldn’t be surprised if Denison keeps it close despite their poor OOC performance this season. To me this is a battle tested team so I am taking Denison 14-11. Thoughts on Friday’s games?
Interesting take, I think Babson is the clear favorite here but with that said they have always been the underdog and now find themselves as the favorite against a hungry Denison team. Coach Eric Koch and the big red need a win against a ranked opponent or else this could be the first season in decades that the big red have gone without a ranked win.... they will need to come out flying for them to have a chance at stealing this one. Hearing rumors that Clyde Bresnahan might be healthy for this game which will give Denison some life from the midfield. With that being said Babson has some very impressive wins this season and has a deep bench that will make Denisons life difficult all game long. Babson will need to squash any life Denison has in the first quarter.

Really excited to watch St. Lawrence during this postseason. They have been dominant this year and have a couple of players who will be doing fifth and sixth years and some pretty big time Division one programs next year. I think when they meet Tufts in the elite 8 they are going to stomp on them. Tufts coach is more worried about his game day kicks and what he looks like on social media than actually bringing them to a national championship... apparent in their loss in the NESCAC tournament to Hamilton. Thoughts?
St Lawrence is over-rated. Wes is going to hand them a can of whoop arse and if they don't, then Tufts will. Winning 1 goal game in OT Is not dominate and besides RPI and RIT, Union the Liberty league is ghetto. Union is good but like someone said early - Tufts made them look like a bunch of high schoolers.

Hate to say it but the Tufts Head coach has the 3rd best winning percentage after Coon and Berkman over the last 8 years. That is pretty good company to be in. It took almost 11 years for Coon to win a championship because it aint easy. SLU has NO chance.
I would not write off SLU as a lock for Tufts. Tufts lost to Hamilton, was down by 8 at one point to Williams, had a close game with Colby. SLU played RIT tight as did Tufts, and also whooped up on Union. I think Tufts SLU would go down to the wire, 2 face paced offensive teams with athletes all over the field. I am a big fan of the Jumbos but SLU has just as good a chance at making it to MDW as Tufts. I would expect SLU to beat Wes, could even see them handling the Cardinals.
As a Tufts supporter I am very interested to see the SLU Wes matchup. Wes very deservedly won the NESCAC tourney and is a complete team on both sides of the field. Haven’t seen SLU this year but they beat RPI in the last regular season game of the year and lost by a goal in the LL tourney. I think Tufts should prevail this weekend even though they have to travel. However, don’t expect a 24-5 repeat and, if they come out like they did this season against some lesser teams the outcome could be different. Can’t start a game asleep and expect to win in May!! Roll Bos!!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

In the unlikely event either Sals or RPI loses this weekend where would Quarters and Semis be played?
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

I am not trying to disparage the SLU accomplishment this season. They are a very good team but far from dominate and to piss on the Tufts coach about his twitter posts is just ridiculous. He is trying to promote the programs. Nothing wrong with that. He has been very successful as a head coach. Him winning it all has nothing to do with his twitter posts.
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

Ridiculous? I think its pretty funny. A couple of Tuft alumni from the Daly era actually brought that up to me last week when discussing the D3 tournament and Tufts odds. I think Tufts is an amazing program I just think the personal social media is a little much. Focus on bringing the trophy back to the jumbos not what jordans you are wearing that day. You didn't see Mike Daly tweeting about his shoes and he won back to back championships and brought them their first solidifying them as one of THE top programs in the sport. I also heard there was an altercation between him and Hamilton players after the loss in the tournament... pretty immature.

Anyone have Salisbury going back to back this year? Would be the perfect season, exciting stuff!
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:10 pm Endicott will beat swarthmore this weekend. They are a complete team
Bet a beer on it? I'll even give you Endicott +2.5.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

callaxdad wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:55 pm In the unlikely event either Sals or RPI loses this weekend where would Quarters and Semis be played?
If RPI loses, it will be at RIT. If Salisbury loses I would guess it would be at either Tufts, Wesleyan, or SLU. I would say Wesleyan though since they are hosting the first weekend out of those 3 teams.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Prepschoolkid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:19 pm Ridiculous? I think its pretty funny. A couple of Tuft alumni from the Daly era actually brought that up to me last week when discussing the D3 tournament and Tufts odds. I think Tufts is an amazing program I just think the personal social media is a little much. Focus on bringing the trophy back to the jumbos not what jordans you are wearing that day. You didn't see Mike Daly tweeting about his shoes and he won back to back championships and brought them their first solidifying them as one of THE top programs in the sport. I also heard there was an altercation between him and Hamilton players after the loss in the tournament... pretty immature.

Anyone have Salisbury going back to back this year? Would be the perfect season, exciting stuff!
Going back to back is an amazing task, team has every slot in lineup filled with a very good player. Will not be easy as some excellent teams on the prowl. Team is as good or better than last year.
twohandsonestick

Alright, F’ it. We’re going full on DIII bracketology predictions ahead of this weekend’s madness – let me know your thoughts:

- Salisbury STOMPS Saint Joes – this one isn’t even close as the Gulls are this years team to beat across the board
- Swarthmore v. Endicott is a close one but Swat pulls it out 9-7
- Lynchburg over Pfeiffer by 12 goals
- W&L v. Lake Forest 17-6
- RPI v. Saint Marys 19-9
- Bowdoin beats Grove City in a closer than anticipated game 15-11
- Dickinson beats Scranton branch by 6
- Midd beats SUNY Geneseo and sends ‘em back to the beautiful valley after a 9 point loss
- Tufts dominates IWU and wins 22-6
- RIT same thing over Hope this game could be a 40+ differential if they really wanted to
- Denison squeaks by Babson in a shootout 14-11
- Union over the “Stangs 13-7
- SLU v. Plymouth is like watching Cuse play your son’s JV HS team
- CNU v. Cabrini in what could be Cabrini’s final game ever?? This one may bring a tear to your eyes as you watch them fold right into Nova’s well-equipped M&A warchest. It’ll be a slugfest, one that all of America will be rooting for Cabrini but unfortunately see CNU taking it
- Noke v Stevens is another close one with ‘Noke winning 12-11
- Wes takes it over SJF 17-10
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:58 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:19 pm i think there are three front runners for the title. RPI, RIT, and Salisbury.

there is a gap to this next group.

wesleyan, Tufts, St Lawrence, CNU, and Middlebury are in the next group.
Disagree, I think there is one front runner. Salisbury.

I also think RIT and tufts have an edge because of all their postseason success. These players know what it takes to win.
Salisbury is the clear favorite. Defending Champions and undefeated. I don’t care about their schedule. They will be ready.
It always amazes me that people like to forget or not accept that Salisbury has something no other team can replicate- Coach Berkman! I said it last year and I’ll say it again now, you discount Berkman’s effect on a game at your own peril. No one can game plan for a team like he can, especially when given a week to prepare for a known opponent. If they get knocked out, it will be the back end day. If they make it to Memorial Day Weekend I’m not betting against them.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:20 pm
Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm
Tactful Lax wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:20 pm Sorry, but CNU was seven and one. I am not going to tell you what years that my kids played, but that is fact. And CNU is eight and two in the last 10 times they have played them.

Before CNU starts talking about dominating teams, let’s highlight how Salisbury is 10-1 against CNU since 2021.
Straight domination.
Is it too late to say "CNU was a one-hit-wonder"? Watching them play all season makes it clear they had their fun for a few seasons but may be trending back to their earlier years.
Check their incoming recruits. They have a ton of studs in the DMV making their way down to Newport News. From top IAC and VA public school programs. I don’t think they’re going anywhere. But this is meant for the CNU thread, not this one.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Prepschoolkid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:19 pm Ridiculous? I think its pretty funny. A couple of Tuft alumni from the Daly era actually brought that up to me last week when discussing the D3 tournament and Tufts odds. I think Tufts is an amazing program I just think the personal social media is a little much. Focus on bringing the trophy back to the jumbos not what jordans you are wearing that day. You didn't see Mike Daly tweeting about his shoes and he won back to back championships and brought them their first solidifying them as one of THE top programs in the sport. I also heard there was an altercation between him and Hamilton players after the loss in the tournament... pretty immature.

Because (i) it was 2003ish to 2016 and times and social media have changed and (ii) that is not Daly's style, but is Casey's.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 pm
Week in and week out, whether it was IL, US Lacrosse Mag or USILA, I’d watch Swarthmore climb the ranks and laugh out loud that this program made its way to #3 at a point in time. Don’t get me wrong, very impressive season and to see where they’ve come from a few years ago I have profound respect for the seniors who helped build that program as well as the coaching staff. But this Swarthmore team has seen success due to down years from the Bullets and F&M who have dominated the conference in the past – wouldn’t be surprised if they return to the typical in conference performance as Gburg and F&M rebuild this offseason.

Now back to the game at hand. Endicott has a small chance at winning this, but I do have them on alert for making a first round upset. Nick Pagluiso (hearing he has a few options to play BigTen lacrosse) and Nick Graap make up a strong attack unit bolstered by Guerin Favreau’s blistering speed and lethal shooting on the run. Excited to throw this game on the TV Saturday as I expect it to be a nailbiter!
Appreciate this, but Dickinson has been the Centennial force to reckon with over the last three seasons. Swat indeed has taken their program to a new level, I think with largely younger players too. Impressive and fun to watch. A younger team playing loose can surprise others.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
twohandsonestick

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:56 pm
twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:20 pm
Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm
Tactful Lax wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:20 pm Sorry, but CNU was seven and one. I am not going to tell you what years that my kids played, but that is fact. And CNU is eight and two in the last 10 times they have played them.

Before CNU starts talking about dominating teams, let’s highlight how Salisbury is 10-1 against CNU since 2021.
Straight domination.
Is it too late to say "CNU was a one-hit-wonder"? Watching them play all season makes it clear they had their fun for a few seasons but may be trending back to their earlier years.
Check their incoming recruits. They have a ton of studs in the DMV making their way down to Newport News. From top IAC and VA public school programs. I don’t think they’re going anywhere. But this is meant for the CNU thread, not this one.
The Scalia recruit coming in next year is a weapon I’ll give you that. Heard he was considering top level BigTen schools. Y’all should have a good one there
twohandsonestick

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:08 pm

Because (i) it was 2003ish to 2016 and times and social media have changed and (ii) that is not Daly's style, but is Casey's.
I’ve I’m tufts I’m shipping Casey back to Taft and doing whatever I can to get Daly back in the seat
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Another thread hijacked by haters who don’t want to talk game. Too bad.

Good luck to the teams playing the next few days. 400 or so teams sitting home wishing they were still playing with their brothers.

Enjoy every moment.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:00 pm Been a minute ah23. Shaping up for a good weekend of lacrosse. Any games you're looking forward to or have an eye on for upsets?
Probably most interested in Babson-Denison and Swarthmore-Endicott for R2. Three upstarts and a traditionally successful program in matchups we would never get to see otherwise, and then an opportunity to do something crazy in R3. I’m all for it. Would love for Cabrini to make one last run, but unfortunately I think CNU will roll. Sunday should be awesome pretty much from top to bottom, but ultimately Mother’s Day remains a heavy favorite to dominate the schedule. Should be a great weekend!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ah23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:36 pm
twohandsonestick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:00 pm Been a minute ah23. Shaping up for a good weekend of lacrosse. Any games you're looking forward to or have an eye on for upsets?
Probably most interested in Babson-Denison and Swarthmore-Endicott for R2. Three upstarts and a traditionally successful program in matchups we would never get to see otherwise, and then an opportunity to do something crazy in R3. I’m all for it. Would love for Cabrini to make one last run, but unfortunately I think CNU will roll. Sunday should be awesome pretty much from top to bottom, but ultimately Mother’s Day remains a heavy favorite to dominate the schedule. Should be a great weekend!
Mother’s Day is -739 to dominate on Sunday hereabouts
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

SKUD wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:02 pm Another thread hijacked by haters who don’t want to talk game. Too bad.

Good luck to the teams playing the next few days. 400 or so teams sitting home wishing they were still playing with their brothers.

Enjoy every moment.
I agree with the thread being hijacked by obvious trollers… but the fact is, some people do not agree with the way he has run the program. One of the main jobs of a coach is to give all the appreciation to his players while putting all the blame on himself. Him having a social media presence creates pressure for his players to perform and when they don’t, they get scrutinized. That’s on HIM. I don’t care what his beliefs are the facts are that he puts more attention on a team to perform than anyone else in the country. When they fail, it is multiplied because of HIM.

The sport is getting big enough so that this thread doesn’t have to just be X’s and O’s Which is a good thing!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”