Lax Pics/Articles from Yesteryear

D3 Mens Lacrosse
valaxfan

Lax Pics/Articles from Yesteryear

Post by valaxfan »

I have a ton of clippings from back in the seventies, obviously all W&L but I thought I would start a thread to see if anyone else has stuff from their favorite lax program that they might want to post. Here is the Roanoke Times article when W&L beat UVA 13-11 in front of at least 10,000 fans at Scott Stadium. W&L fans more than outnumbered UVA fans, guessing 6,500, but we had so many more fans, it felt like a home game. Here is one of the articles I found that I kept. This is the 50th anniversary of that great season in Lexington. Maybe this years team surprises and makes amends for that years loss to JHU.

valaxfan
10000.jpg
10000.jpg (127.41 KiB) Viewed 546 times

An add on, when everyone from Lexington, went to Charlottesville to see this game, prior to leaving from Lexington, W&L students had made up stickers and handed them out. They read, Washington & Lee IS THE University of Virginia, and fans (mostly students) pasted those stickers on every sign from Staunton to Charlottesville along Interstate 64, it was an amazing day and I am sure that VDOT hated W&L that day.
Last edited by valaxfan on Wed May 08, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
valaxfan

Re: Lax Pics/Articles from Yesteryear

Post by valaxfan »

Picture from 1973, W&L vs UVA in Lexington, in front of 6,500. Bauer scoring from the left side. Sam Englehart, another 3 time AA, is in the front of the goal, he was a great crease attackman.

valaxfan

PS: I believe that the weekend of this game was also Mock Converntion weekend in Lexington, which also had alot of attention and pulled in more people to Lexington.
Attachments
Teddy Bauer.jpg
Teddy Bauer.jpg (215.49 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Last edited by valaxfan on Wed May 08, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Far out!

I was down at W&L 1977 - 1979.

Emmer had some quality teams composed of many LI and MD Laxers.
The parent, not the coach.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Generals BIG win over Hopkins, 11-7, in 1975 but then lose to UMD in Semifinals. Great shot of Jack Dudley scoring, that's Ken Miller, Middie, in foreground. The great Rob Lindsey is also picture being congratulated, on the right side.

valaxfan
Attachments
Generals beat Hopkins.jpg
Generals beat Hopkins.jpg (173.91 KiB) Viewed 512 times
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Here is the full article on the 1973, 15-11 win over UVA at Wilson Field. At that time, Wilson Field could seat 7,500. In 1974, when we expected to be seeded Number 2, we were Number 2 in the final rating, If that had happened, and we played in the national Semifinals in Lexington, preparations were underway to put bleachers on the opposite side of Wilson Field, in front of Lewis Hall Law School, and where the scoreboard was, for an additional 3,500-4,500, it was whatever high schools could let us borrow their bleachers. I know 3 of the 4 high schools were on board.

valaxfan
Attachments
W&L Beat UVA 15-11 1973 Bauer scores 6 goals.jpg
W&L Beat UVA 15-11 1973 Bauer scores 6 goals.jpg (96.41 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Last edited by valaxfan on Wed May 08, 2024 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Great pictures. I know we overlapped in LexVegas; I was there from 68-75. I have similar archives and will try and excavate in the next week or so.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Faxlax wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:26 pm Great pictures. I know we overlapped in LexVegas; I was there from 68-75. I have similar archives and will try and excavate in the next week or so.
Great, please do, and anyone who has stuff from their schools of choice, have at it.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Picture of the 1975 UVA game brochure (yearbook issue) in Lexington, with the previous years game at Scott Stadium. Picture shows Jack "Duds" Dudley, scoring his 3rd, and final goal, on Rodney Rullman. Beside him on the crease I believe is the great Bryan Chasney, and in the foreground is the great Dave Warfield, number 43. You can see the W&L side of Scott Stadium, and the numbers of fans we had. It was a great day for W&Lacrosse.

valaxfan
Attachments
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2602.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 347 times

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”