NCAA Tournament 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BallHunt

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by BallHunt »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:07 pm Some bracket takes:

-Lynchburg vs. W&L in round 3 is going to be ELECTRIC. W&L will be out for blood after a disappointing showing in the ODAC tourney. LC looks solid coming out of the conference, but they did lose to W&L already this year. I don't even know how to make a pick here.

-Puzzling that Tufts, who fumbled the NESCAC, got a far easier draw (Union) in Rd 3 than Wesleyan, who won the NESCAC, (St Lawrence). That said, Tufts will atone for their sins in the quarters and dispatch Wesleyan.

-RPI cruises to the Final Four.

-Salisbury cruises to championship weekend.

-CNU nation is overjoyed that they're on the opposite side of the bracket from Salisbury. CNU could just as easily lose in Rd 3 to Roanoke/Stevens OR make it to the title game.

-Middlebury beats Dickinson in Rd 3.

-Bowdoin eviscerates Grove City.
The potential matchup of Dickinson and Middlebury is super intriguing.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

SixBySix wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am
balderdash wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:39 am Who has the hardest pod & who has the easiest?
I think if Salisbury weren't a big favorite over the majority of the field we would say they got a tough draw - - three combined losses between the Gulls, Endicott, and Swarthmore. Tufts/Union/Stevenson could all advance out of that pod and it wouldn't shock me. RIT probably has the clearest path to the quarter finals.
Probably RIT or Tufts for easiest pod. They play similar quality opponents in the second round, and Tufts has already comfortably beaten theirs once this season. Stevenson has 0 chance (okay, 0.1% chance) of getting out, can't imagine them hanging with Union and Tufts on back to back days, let alone winning. Could also see CNU cruising in the bottom right pod.

Would say that whoever is the higher seed in the bottom left of the bracket has the hardest pod. After Salisbury-RPI-RIT, St. Lawrence and Wesleyan are probably two of the three highest 'favorites' left along with Tufts, right?
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

liongoes wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:16 pm
SixBySix wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am
balderdash wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:39 am Who has the hardest pod & who has the easiest?
I think if Salisbury weren't a big favorite over the majority of the field we would say they got a tough draw - - three combined losses between the Gulls, Endicott, and Swarthmore. Tufts/Union/Stevenson could all advance out of that pod and it wouldn't shock me. RIT probably has the clearest path to the quarter finals.
Probably RIT or Tufts for easiest pod. They play similar quality opponents in the second round, and Tufts has already comfortably beaten theirs once this season. Stevenson has 0 chance (okay, 0.1% chance) of getting out, can't imagine them hanging with Union and Tufts on back to back days, let alone winning. Could also see CNU cruising in the bottom right pod.

Would say that whoever is the higher seed in the bottom left of the bracket has the hardest pod. After Salisbury-RPI-RIT, St. Lawrence and Wesleyan are probably two of the three highest 'favorites' left along with Tufts, right?
Looking at the top 8 seeds and have some initial thoughts… assuming all top seeds win their opening matchups:

- RIT, Tufts, and Salisbury will cruise to the elite 8. I don’t see any teams in their pods that can challenge them. Tufts is coming off a long rest with a bad taste in their mouth. Salisbury is Salisbury. Coon always has his RIT boys rolling come May.
- St. Lawrence and Wesleyan will be a battle. Can see either team making it to the final 4 and challenging Salisbury.
- Dickinson v. Middlebury can go either way. I want to say Midd prevails and wins this matchup.
- Bowdoin and RPI is the matchup of the weekend for me. I think Will Byrne is a top 5 player in D3 and the Bowdoin offense is dangerous if they are clicking. RPI has been great this year and they feel like the team of destiny. My only worry is that they have exceeded expectations a little too much this year and can be beat. Wouldn’t be surprised if they come and dominate though..
- CNU has the potential to make it to Memorial Day weekend, but they also have the potential to lose opening weekend. It really depends on which CNU team shows up.. The one that beat the crap out of Dickinson and handled W&L/Lyn or the one that got spanked by Tufts and Williams. Their seniors have all played major roles on teams that went to 2 final fours and an elite 8. They have the experience and know how to play in May.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

richard wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:48 am Gotta love how so many second round games have assumed winners.
Where do you see upsets happening in RD2?
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

FosterLax3 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:52 pm
CentennialPundit wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:37 am
Not predicting the outcome of the game- but there is a realistic chance Swarthmore is the best team Salisbury will have faced all year. That is a tough draw for the #1 seed.
I think all D3 fans besides the Salisbury faithful would love to see the Gulls get bounced early. I think it would ramp up the level of competition and motivation even more if teams saw the reigning champs and consensus #1 team in this tournament lose.
Certainly a lot of D3 people would love to see Salisbury falter, but no program has done more to raise the profile of D3 lax. In recent years the Nat Final for D3 has attracted nearly as many fans as the D1 final. No better motivation is needed by others, everyone wants to knock of the prior champs.
Masshole

Post by Masshole »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:19 pm Serious question though, how do they determine who is hosting quarterfinals and semis weekend of 5/18?
Highest remaining seed on that side of bracket. If both of them get to quarters, Salisbury and RPI host
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Motorman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:46 pm
Not predicting the outcome of the game- but there is a realistic chance Swarthmore is the best team Salisbury will have faced all year. That is a tough draw for the #1 seed.
I think all D3 fans besides the Salisbury faithful would love to see the Gulls get bounced early. I think it would ramp up the level of competition and motivation even more if teams saw the reigning champs and consensus #1 team in this tournament lose.
Certainly a lot of D3 people would love to see Salisbury falter, but no program has done more to raise the profile of D3 lax. In recent years the Nat Final for D3 has attracted nearly as many fans as the D1 final. No better motivation is needed by others, everyone wants to knock of the prior champs.

They are head and shoulders above everyone. You have to see them play in person to appreciate how good they are, their depth is crazy. They lose #0 and throw in #29 and don't miss a beat, wait until #23 gets steady runs, yikes. They are rostered like a good D1 program. Nobody is beating them.
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:12 pm

They are head and shoulders above everyone. You have to see them play in person to appreciate how good they are, their depth is crazy. They lose #0 and throw in #29 and don't miss a beat, wait until #23 gets steady runs, yikes. They are rostered like a good D1 program. Nobody is beating them.
They will certainly be favorites throughout, but I do not think they crossed the threshold of being upset immune. In the field vs Salisbury, I would probably put money on the field (but the fact that it is a consideration is pretty crazy)
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

RPI exceeded expectation because of one reason - the best goalie in the country. Their tournament run will be dictated by his play. When he is lights out, they are hard to beat but if he has a bad game, then they will lose. He had 24 and 19 saves against RIT. Those numbers decline ever so slightly, they lose. That being said, he is capable to take them to the finals. I think he is that good. He is better then the kid from Hamilton who is pretty freaken good.

Good Luck to all teams on the NCAA. Just to make it is an accomplishment.
richard

Post by richard »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:26 pm [quote=richard post_id=548542 time=<a href="tel:1715183319">1715183319</a> user_id=418]
Gotta love how so many second round games have assumed winners.
Where do you see upsets happening in RD2
[/quote]

Not calling for upsets but I don’t think they are all gimmes.
Endicott,Stevenson, Fisher,Grove City, Scranton/ JC winner,Geneseo, Stevens.
Look for Stevens to handle Noke and potentially move past CNU. I like Endicott over Swat. Grove has played a nice schedule and Bowdoin has not impressed vs questionable OOC def beatable. Fisher has improved throughout the season. I don’t know what to expect from Stevenson. They made a season out of beating W&L but we’re crushed by York and Salisbury along with other questionable losses.
Anyway overlooking these teams seems a bad idea to me.

But then I thought Farmingdale would make a game today.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

I In recent years the Nat Final for D3 has attracted nearly as many fans as the D1 final. No better motivation is needed by others, everyone wants to knock of the prior champs.
Not even close to being true.
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

The12lov3 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:31 pm RPI exceeded expectation because of one reason - the best goalie in the country. Their tournament run will be dictated by his play. When he is lights out, they are hard to beat but if he has a bad game, then they will lose. He had 24 and 19 saves against RIT. Those numbers decline ever so slightly, they lose. That being said, he is capable to take them to the finals. I think he is that good. He is better then the kid from Hamilton who is pretty freaken good.

Yes he is that good but you haven’t watched RPI play enough if that’s what you think
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

The12lov3 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:31 pm RPI exceeded expectation because of one reason - the best goalie in the country. Their tournament run will be dictated by his play. When he is lights out, they are hard to beat but if he has a bad game, then they will lose. He had 24 and 19 saves against RIT. Those numbers decline ever so slightly, they lose. That being said, he is capable to take them to the finals. I think he is that good. He is better then the kid from Hamilton who is pretty freaken good.

Probably also helped they scored more than anyone else had all year on RIT…. Seems like a true team effort
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Anyone know if Seamus Rooney for babson will be back for tournament? Got hurt against tufts
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Low2high22 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:16 pm

Yes he is that good but you haven’t watched RPI play enough if that’s what you think
You are right, I have not seen them play that often but how many times does a goalie make 24 saves and give up 10 goals. That stat lines says it all in the first game against RIT. Second game 58% save percentage which is extremely good in lacrosse standards. Hot Goalie = Great Playoff run. Not saying RPI is not a talented team. They are but there goalie is exceptional and hot goal tending is key for them to win it.

As far as Salisbury is concern - everyone can drink the cool-aid and say they should win it but the fact is that right now they have not won it and they have to get through plenty of really talented teams. Every year Salisbury is the most talented team in Div3 lax but the facts are they have not won it every year. This is why we play the game. Right now I see 5 teams as the favorites - RPI, RIT, Wes, Tufts, Salisbury. While other teams have a chance, I see those teams as the favorite. Next tier would be Midd, SLU, W&L, and Lynchburg. The other teams while talented, I don't think they can put together the streak to win the whole things.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

i think there are three front runners for the title. RPI, RIT, and Salisbury.

there is a gap to this next group.

wesleyan, Tufts, St Lawrence, CNU, and Middlebury are in the next group.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:19 pm i think there are three front runners for the title. RPI, RIT, and Salisbury.

Laxattackjack - agree those three are the frontrunners but do think that if Wes and Tufts play there best lax that they are top tier teams.
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:19 pm i think there are three front runners for the title. RPI, RIT, and Salisbury.

Disagree, I think there is one front runner. Salisbury.

I also think RIT and tufts have an edge because of all their postseason success. These players know what it takes to win.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

richard wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:50 am
Nosey Ned wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:47 am [quote="Matnum PI" post_id=548497 time=<a href="tel:1715175405">1715175405</a> user_id=54]
No great games but... The tourney starts today. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/lacrosse-men/d3/2024
Matnum …. I’m surprised by you! Thought you were better than this elitist attitude! Note - just kidding!

That said, just because these aren’t marquee names going at it today, doesn’t mean the games themselves can’t be good. I actually expect some games today to be closer than some being contested in the next round. One game today that jumps out at me is the Scranton v John Carroll game - that could be a real good one. I’d be willing to invest some time to watch that one but if I’m not mistaken isn’t the Landmark Conference on some pay to watch subscription deal?! If true that’s absurd in IMO. 😂 any landmark posters care to confirm how we watch a Scranton game?
I’m thinking the Farmingdale- St Mary’s game should be a good one too..
[/quote]

It was a one sided game - St Marys had 51 shots vs 27, Famingdale had 23 tunovers and St Marys won the ground ball battle. It was 6-1 after 1
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Predictions

2nd Round winners (should get only a couple wrong)
RIT
Babson (too strong for Denison)
Dickinson
RPI (could be close because the fish hawks do that)
SLU
Tufts
Lynchburg
Bowdoin
Middlebury
Union
Wesleyan
Salisbury
CNU
W&L
Swarthmore (Endicott could make it close)
Stevens
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”