Possible Tournament Upsets?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
random observer

Re: Possible Tournament Upsets?

Post by random observer »

coda wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:44 am
laxlax29 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:26 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:34 am
norcalhop wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:56 am Towson over Cuse, Michigan over Denver, Princeton over Maryland, Penn State over Georgetown, Saint Josephs over UVa would not surprise me.

Slightly less probably but Lehigh over a dumpster fire Hopkins offense wouldnt shock me either.
Hah !
Dumpster fire !

On the other hand, though - just about every team is a dumpster fire in one way or another.
Seriously. Does any team besides Notre Dame and Duke not have serious, serious flaws? And sometimes Duke just doesn't show up, though it seems they're locked in and playing to their full potential right now and I expect that to continue.
I would add Cuse next to Duke. I dont see a fatal flaw there.

PSU is dangerous, if they learn how to face off
Hopkins is dangerous, if the offense reverts to about a month ago
UVA is dangerous, if the defense finds discipline
Princeton is dangerous, if they can continue to win face offs
Cuse's fatal flaw is that they lose their head at times and can't seem to string great performances together. I honestly think they should be on red alert against a gritty Towson team. Weisshaar is the best middie in the country IMO, and if Constantinides gets the better of Kohn at the X watch out. Having said that, I think the draw worked in their favor for a Final Four run; Towson is a tough team, but overall it's still a quadrant with three potential opponents that Cuse could still get by on an off day whether it's in the first round or the QF.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

random observer wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:01 am
norcalhop wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:56 am Towson over Cuse, Michigan over Denver, Princeton over Maryland, Penn State over Georgetown, Saint Josephs over UVa would not surprise me.

Slightly less probably but Lehigh over a dumpster fire Hopkins offense wouldnt shock me either.
Hah !
Dumpster fire !

On the other hand, though - just about every team is a dumpster fire in one way or another.
Seriously. Does any team besides Notre Dame and Duke not have serious, serious flaws? And sometimes Duke just doesn't show up, though it seems they're locked in and playing to their full potential right now and I expect that to continue.

Cuse's fatal flaw is that they lose their head at times and can't seem to string great performances together. I honestly think they should be on red alert against a gritty Towson team. Weisshaar is the best middie in the country IMO, and if Constantinides gets the better of Kohn at the X watch out. Having said that, I think the draw worked in their favor for a Final Four run; Towson is a tough team, but overall it's still a quadrant with three potential opponents that Cuse could still get by on an off day whether it's in the first round or the QF.
Good catch.
coda

Post by coda »

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

Cuse shows up in every game. They have lost by 1,1,1,2,and 5. They can have mental gaffes, but they will always compete. You cant say that about Duke. Mark might be the key. Of the top goalies, he maybe the most inconsistent. When he is on, watch out
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

Duke is playing to their full potential right now ? Getting housed by 10 yesterday doesn't scream that to me
laxlax29

Post by laxlax29 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:29 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

Duke is playing to their full potential right now ? Getting housed by 10 yesterday doesn't scream that to me
Well, maybe that was their full potential. Maybe Naso comes back and that helps. But it seems to me it's Notre Dame above everyone, Duke above everyone else.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:20 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:13 am

SJU is probably the only real upset. Michigan, PSU and Princeton are expected. Cuse is better but young.
If Cuse D and goalie don't show, like they didn't vs Duke other night, they're done early.
Just a bad night. Mark and logos are strength . See Cuse being in Final Four
random observer

coda wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:20 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

Cuse shows up in every game. They have lost by 1,1,1,2,and 5. They can have mental gaffes, but they will always compete. You cant say that about Duke. Mark might be the key. Of the top goalies, he maybe the most inconsistent. When he is on, watch out
Respectfully disagree. A 5 goal loss is not showing up, and that scoreline flattered them anyways. Game before that was a good showing against UVA. Then a one goal win against a meh UNC squad before that where they nearly threw away a big lead. Before that it was that Cornell game where they again pulled a Jekyll and Hyde performance. Honestly upon further inspection "not stringing consecutive great performances together" is putting it too lightly; they can't consistently put four great quarters together. They vacillate between red hot and ice cold, and that's not a recipe for success in May when the pressure turns way up and cold spells can turn into avalanches.
Finster

Post by Finster »

random observer wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:05 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

Respectfully disagree. A 5 goal loss is not showing up, and that scoreline flattered them anyways. Game before that was a good showing against UVA. Then a one goal win against a meh UNC squad before that where they nearly threw away a big lead. Before that it was that Cornell game where they again pulled a Jekyll and Hyde performance. Honestly upon further inspection "not stringing consecutive great performances together" is putting it too lightly; they can't consistently put four great quarters together. They vacillate between red hot and ice cold, and that's not a recipe for success in May when the pressure turns way up and cold spells can turn into avalanches.

^^^^ As good a summary of Syracuse as you’ll find.

We haven’t really had a full four against a good opponent. Towson will be tough. They’re solid all over.
coda

Post by coda »

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

I think that Duke game was more about coaching, than showing up. Duke switched up their line-up and it was 9-2 after 1Q.. Fought back to 11-7, before Duke went on a run to end it. That was not a lack of effort, they were not prepared. I do agree that they seem to have a quarter every game , where they fall asleep. Mistake prone/lack of IQ maybe the flaw, but I dont see lack of effort there (like Duke at times).
random observer

coda wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:17 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

I think that Duke game was more about coaching, than showing up. Duke switched up their line-up and it was 9-2 after 1Q.. Fought back to 11-7, before Duke went on a run to end it. That was not a lack of effort, they were not prepared. I do agree that they seem to have a quarter every game , where they fall asleep. Mistake prone/lack of IQ maybe the flaw, but I dont see lack of effort there (like Duke at times).
It could certainly be coaching rather than effort, or some combination of the two; my intent wasn't to diagnose the underlying cause just point out the resulting weakness. Bear in mind, that doesn't mean Cuse isn't a great team, but that level of inconsistency is certainly a big flaw for a team that is a betting favorite to make championship weekend.
coda

Post by coda »

random observer wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:55 pm
coda wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:17 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

It could certainly be coaching rather than effort, or some combination of the two; my intent wasn't to diagnose the underlying cause just point out the resulting weakness. Bear in mind, that doesn't mean Cuse isn't a great team, but that level of inconsistency is certainly a big flaw for a team that is a betting favorite to make championship weekend.
Lot of flawed teams outside of ND.. I do think Duke and Cuse are the most well rounded out of the next group.. Consistency is their issue. They dont have issues at a particular unit like other schools
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

St. Joseph's has a long winning streak. "Hottest team." Anything can happen. Blah blah blah.

None of those wins were against tournament teams. Only 5 teams even had winning records. Anyone here really betting on them this weekend? Or even think it's likely they beat UVA?

I haven't seen them play. I am genuinely curious whether they look like they will win or whether our favorite announcers simply looked at the calendar and said "wow they haven't lost in a while and UVA just lost a bunch."
2023 2024
coda

Post by coda »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:54 pm St. Joseph's has a long winning streak. "Hottest team." Anything can happen. Blah blah blah.

None of those wins were against tournament teams. Only 5 teams even had winning records. Anyone here really betting on them this weekend? Or even think it's likely they beat UVA?

I haven't seen them play. I am genuinely curious whether they look like they will win or whether our favorite announcers simply looked at the calendar and said "wow they haven't lost in a while and UVA just lost a bunch."
They are solid team and can give UVa issues. I am not expecting them to win, but they are tough, skilled, and experienced. UVa plays their A game, this will not be an issue for them. On the flipside its been awhile, since we have seen UVa's A game.

Towson is probably the one I would watch out for. They have good Goaltending and Fogo. Luke Downs is 13th in the nation with a .553 save percentage. Matt Constantinides is 16th in faceoff percentage in the country. Upsets usually start at the specialist area and Towson has them. I havent mentioned DeMaio and Weisshaar are legit on the offensive end.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:54 pm St. Joseph's has a long winning streak. "Hottest team." Anything can happen. Blah blah blah.

St. Joe's looked good in their win over Penn. So, was that the Penn that beat Duke and Cornell (twice), or the Penn that lost to UNC?

UVA had better take them seriously or they will lose.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:05 am
FannOLax wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 am
faircornell wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 am Of the first eight games, I can think of four where the home team might not make it through:

UVA vs St. Josephs: UVA has tremendous talent, but has not been winning. Granted they have been playing the top programs in the country. In contrast, St. Joe's has one of the longest unbeaten streaks in the country.

Denver vs. Michigan: Michigan is "hot', with recent wins over Hopkins and PSU. Denver has some quality wins, but dropped a surprising game to Villanova. Denver does, however, have a unique home field advantage between distance and altitude.

Maryland vs. Princeton: Maryland, generally, has had an "off" back half of the season, dropping games to Hopkins and PSU. Princeton has some really impressive talent and finished the season strong, beating Penn twice and Yale twice. A "hot" Princeton team could surprise some.

Georgetown vs PSU: These teams seem fairly even. Penn State was 11-4 with several quality wins. Georgetown at 11-3 boasts a win against Notre Dame. Massey ranks them #7 and #8 respectively.
St. Joe's lost its first three games of the season, and hasn't lost since; beat Penn 12-7 in March. This should be a very entertaining game, and I could see UVA losing.

Perhaps Denver's home-field advantage is over-rated? Easy to imagine the Wolverines taking this one.

Can Princeton win face-offs? If not, then the Terps hold serve. If Princeton can hold its own at the dot and goalie Gianfocaro plays well, then this should be a good, close game with an upset possible.

Once you get to the 8th seed, it's not much of an upset if the home team loses. Assuming Penn State shows up to play at Georgetown, this is anyone's game.
St. Joe's had a goalie issue early in the year.
They put in the 2nd(?) line goalie and he has played well, they really tightened up the defense - and they were still working on moving on from Zach Cole at faceoff.
Goalie and it took Tyghe a while to get going as well. They got 1/2 on their key 5th yr transfers.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

St. Joes attack is underappreciated. All good size, can move well and share the rock. Their FOGO is Gavin Tygh who has come on strong this season. He spent 2 years at UVA and probably has a good idea of how the Wahoos approach a game.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:03 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 am Of the first eight games, I can think of four where the home team might not make it through:

UVA vs St. Josephs: UVA has tremendous talent, but has not been winning. Granted they have been playing the top programs in the country. In contrast, St. Joe's has one of the longest unbeaten streaks in the country.

Denver vs. Michigan: Michigan is "hot', with recent wins over Hopkins and PSU. Denver has some quality wins, but dropped a surprising game to Villanova. Denver does, however, have a unique home field advantage between distance and altitude.

Maryland vs. Princeton: Maryland, generally, has had an "off" back half of the season, dropping games to Hopkins and PSU. Princeton has some really impressive talent and finished the season strong, beating Penn twice and Yale twice. A "hot" Princeton team could surprise some.

Georgetown vs PSU: These teams seem fairly even. Penn State was 11-4 with several quality wins. Georgetown at 11-3 boasts a win against Notre Dame. Massey ranks them #7 and #8 respectively.
St. Joe's lost its first three games of the season, and hasn't lost since; beat Penn 12-7 in March. This should be a very entertaining game, and I could see UVA losing.

Perhaps Denver's home-field advantage is over-rated? Easy to imagine the Wolverines taking this one.

Can Princeton win face-offs? If not, then the Terps hold serve. If Princeton can hold its own at the dot and goalie Gianfocaro plays well, then this should be a good, close game with an upset possible.

Once you get to the 8th seed, it's not much of an upset if the home team loses. Assuming Penn State shows up to play at Georgetown, this is anyone's game.
They put in the 2nd(?) line goalie and he has played well, they really tightened up the defense - and they were still working on moving on from Zach Cole at faceoff.
Goalie and it took Tyghe a while to get going as well. They got 1/2 on their key 5th yr transfers.
They also moved Eccleston from Attack to keep Levi Anderson down their full time. Once they established the starters as Page, Anderson, and Bohmer- they started to click. Same exact attack as last year, confused as to why they changed it up to begin with.

Took a bit for Bohmer to come to life, but he ended up being the 2nd leading scorer. Bohmer had 11 points in the first 5 games (2.2ppg), he's scored 38 points in his last 10 (3.8ppg).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:26 pm

They also moved Eccleston from Attack to keep Levi Anderson down their full time. Once they established the starters as Page, Anderson, and Bohmer- they started to click. Same exact attack as last year, confused as to why they changed it up to begin with.

Took a bit for Bohmer to come to life, but he ended up being the 2nd leading scorer. Bohmer had 11 points in the first 5 games (2.2ppg), he's scored 38 points in his last 10 (3.8ppg).
I thought all the core offensive starters were materially impacted negatively by Ecclestons heavy usage early. Sort of presume Wray commits PT to fifth years who come and honors it up until the point it's just not worht it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:26 pm

Coach Wray had expected Richie Lacalandra to be their X attackman. When the NCAA finally ruled that he would have to wait till the 2025 season to play, he had to reconfigure his lines. Bohmer started this season on the 1st midfield, so his touch count was much lower out front. Coach Wray made the necessary adjustments and here they are. A 10 deserves a bit more respect imho.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

BigTurn wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:41 am Towson will not be a cake walk
Haven’t been following Towson too closely but do they have any offensive depth? 2nd line midfield a drop off?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”