Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GaitsRightHand

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by GaitsRightHand »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm Spallina has 63 points. 50 are against teams outside the Top 20. He has 4 goals and 9 assists for 13 points against teams in the Top 20. Would’ve been double bagels against ND if not for a one on none layup in transition. He had 4 turnovers.

The only other team in the ACC this kid would crack the starting line up on is UNC, and Duffy would still be #1 in that scenario. It’s absolutely laughable to put him above the likes of Kavanagh on AA lists.

Syracuse brings this on by using #22 as a recruiting tool, and then the lacrosse media drawing wood when he throws a btb in a blowout loss. The day they make a junior/senior earn #22 is the day all this (deserved) ridicule ends.
I didn't read one lie. Except, you forgot to mention that during this 13-point stretch, he has had 15 TO's.

The issue is the hype the media gives him, they make him out to be a Pat Spencer, but he's more of a Eric Law. He has a great stick and IQ, always in the right spot. But doesn't dodge and do a lot of creating for himself or others.

I'd like a film rat to go back and stat all of his points. Most of his assists are flat footed hang ups and most of his goals are assisted, backside pipe ones. I'd like to know how many dodging assists and goals he'd have. The world (besides cuse fans, apparently) expects the #1 recruit and #22 at cuse to be a ball-dominant elite dodger. And most importantly- to step up in big games.

With that being said- I'm a UNC fan, and I'd still take Spallina on our attack line. The way he doesn't want the ball in his stick for big games, would be huge for Duffy :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Antonio114 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:21 am Fun idea: look at the stats of the teams these guys are a fan of and see how they did against ND last time they played. How did the MD attack do this season? How about the Hop attack in the tourney last year? How many goals did their offenses put up? And those were all with much better performances at the faceoff X than cuse had on Saturday. Spallina is a piece. That is all we need him to be. It's not like our offense's only move is ramming Spallina into whoever is guarding him and hoping for the best. He only took 4 shots. We dice up defenses about as good as any team in the country with the offensive unit as a whole. Toughest defense on the road with a horrible day at the X and this is the game that brings out the Spallina trolls again? Just weak sauce. Coming from fans of teams who played much easier opponents this weekend.
Don’t tell anyone, but Spallina has more ppg against “top teams” than the incoming Tewey winner.

If the game is to throw stones at All Americans for who they aren’t? There isn’t a single kid that is a generational offensive player in D1 worthy of #22, since that’s the bar

No Gait, Powell, Bernhardt, Spencer, Thompson caliber players. Not one. Not even a close call. Happy now?

Why folks are taking the time to throw stones at a player who’s just doing his thing is beyond me.

Wanna throw rocks for player hype? Throw them at the media. These kids don’t control what the media does…
DMac

Post by DMac »

Feelin' better now boys? Get your daily dose of criticism and fault finding in?
JFTR, nobody gives one flat phukk what any of you think about Spallina, but
continue on with your self gratification if you'd like.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:32 am Feelin' better now boys? Get your daily dose of criticism and fault finding in?
JFTR, nobody gives one flat phukk what any of you think about Spallina, but
continue on with your self gratification if you'd like.
You seem hurt by these comments.

So, it sounds like you give a "flat phukk"

Not everyone will have the same opinion, calm down big guy. LOL.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sorry to disappoint GRH, I'm not at all hurt by what any of you have to say about Spallina.
I just write it all off as more aszwhole superstar keyboard experts shooting their mouths
off for whatever kind of satisfaction they get out of tearing this guy apart. It's all good, boys,
enjoy.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:55 am Sorry to disappoint GRH, I'm not at all hurt by what any of you have to say about Spallina.
I just write it all off as more aszwhole superstar keyboard experts shooting their mouths
off for whatever kind of satisfaction they get out of tearing this guy apart. It's all good, boys,
enjoy.
Dude, learn to accept some other opinions. You act like we are saying Spallina is a bust and the worst player ever and can't be wrong. As we have said, he cannot create his own shot and has struggled vs top teams. Speaks volumes he draws the #1 pole, sure. But, as I have said, and has proven to be true, he reminds me of Nate Salomon...not past #22's like the Powell brothers. Btw, Solomn is a PLL/MLL player so not bad comp.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:29 am
Antonio114 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:21 am Fun idea: look at the stats of the teams these guys are a fan of and see how they did against ND last time they played. How did the MD attack do this season? How about the Hop attack in the tourney last year? How many goals did their offenses put up? And those were all with much better performances at the faceoff X than cuse had on Saturday. Spallina is a piece. That is all we need him to be. It's not like our offense's only move is ramming Spallina into whoever is guarding him and hoping for the best. He only took 4 shots. We dice up defenses about as good as any team in the country with the offensive unit as a whole. Toughest defense on the road with a horrible day at the X and this is the game that brings out the Spallina trolls again? Just weak sauce. Coming from fans of teams who played much easier opponents this weekend.
Don’t tell anyone, but Spallina has more ppg against “top teams” than the incoming Tewey winner.

If the game is to throw stones at All Americans for who they aren’t? There isn’t a single kid that is a generational offensive player in D1 worthy of #22, since that’s the bar

No Gait, Powell, Bernhardt, Spencer, Thompson caliber players. Not one. Not even a close call. Happy now?

Why folks are taking the time to throw stones at a player who’s just doing his thing is beyond me.

Wanna throw rocks for player hype? Throw them at the media. These kids don’t control what the media does…
Orange fans would be giving Spallina more crap if the offense as a whole was having serious problems or if he was hogging the ball every possession and killing the flow of the offense. Both are not the case. Like I said our one move on offense isn't throwing Spallina at his matchup and hoping for the best. We are not using him like an Oneill Kirst or Dordevic. He is a piece of the puzzle and a damn good one. Hardly any reason to pay attention to haters who support teams that lost to Navy putting up 9 goals, lost to cupcake High Point putting up only 11 goals, put up 3 less goals than us against ND last time they played, lost to Michigan and needed OT to beat freaking Brown at home. If their only point is that Spallina is not torching teams top long pole, then let them chirp away. Wake me up when the offense as a unit lays a legitimate egg.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:55 am Sorry to disappoint GRH, I'm not at all hurt by what any of you have to say about Spallina.
enjoy.
This is a forum for lacrosse enthusiasts to share their opinions. No one has said anything in nature to attack spallina's character or the type of person he is from what I've seen. Critiques have strictly been about lacrosse...which is fair given this is a lacrosse forum website
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gee, thanks for lettin' me know what kind forum this is, fellas. It's also the Cuse thread that trolls are coming on to tear #22 apart like they have since before he ever stepped foot on a D1 field and have ever since at every given opportunity. Nice attempt at a soft back pedal though.
Big game coming up v Cornell in the (predicted) rain and cold tomorrow. Any insight or anything to say about that? Both teams coming off loses, both kind of need to win this one.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:20 am
enjoy.
This is a forum for lacrosse enthusiasts to share their opinions. No one has said anything in nature to attack spallina's character or the type of person he is from what I've seen. Critiques have strictly been about lacrosse...which is fair given this is a lacrosse forum website
This is correct. I’m sure spallina is a good kid, and he’s a good player. A 2nd team AA, he is not (yet). He does not produce against top teams whereas guys like the Kavs and Kirst are showing up in the biggest moments. The overhype from the media / cuse fan base is what’s drawing the critique of his play.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:05 am
enjoy.
Dude, learn to accept some other opinions. You act like we are saying Spallina is a bust and the worst player ever and can't be wrong. As we have said, he cannot create his own shot and has struggled vs top teams. Speaks volumes he draws the #1 pole, sure. But, as I have said, and has proven to be true, he reminds me of Nate Salomon...not past #22's like the Powell brothers. Btw, Solomn is a PLL/MLL player so not bad comp.
What is your deal? You don't post on here for two weeks, then once Syracuse losses, here you are, making the same bizarre Nate Solomon comp which still makes no sense. You claim to be a UNC fan, yet half your posts are dedicated to this Syracuse thread. Please go away, you bring absolutely nothing of meaning to this discussion.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:07 pm
enjoy.
What is your deal? You don't post on here for two weeks, then once Syracuse losses, here you are, making the same bizarre Nate Solomon comp which still makes no sense. You claim to be a UNC fan, yet half your posts are dedicated to this Syracuse thread. Please go away, you bring absolutely nothing of meaning to this discussion.

Not gonna lie, any Nate Solomon reference deserves applause if not raised eyebrows! We definitely don’t get many. 😂

(And fwiw I don’t get it either)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:40 pm
enjoy.

Not gonna lie, any Nate Solomon reference deserves applause if not raised eyebrows! We definitely don’t get many. 😂

Its definitely a bizarro world comparison.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:21 pm
Finster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:40 pm
enjoy.

Its definitely a bizarro world comparison.
Ehh, I see what he's saying.

Both played X. Both strong righty's. Both didn't want to dodge. Both scored mainly assisted goals/back pipe warriors. Both had stud middies to carry the weight.

Not hard to catch on people! The only difference is... Solomon had a hatty against ND as a sophomore :lol:
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

enjoy.
just do not get the attacks on Spallina, except as a scapegoat for the loss. The game was played on the turf. To SU, contested ground balls seemed like hand grenades; to ND they were gold nuggets. Face offs were invitations to ND to take off for the goal. Grounders attracted NC like slop attracts pigs. ND pushed SU around until the fourth quarter when SU decided to get a few gbs. Give SU another few possessions and the offense might have put them away. I could watch SU sling the rock all day. They can be a lethal offense. That pass to Jake for the last goal was eerily accurate. Let's take some ground ball meds and play these guys again this Saturday.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

With 38 assists on the season, Spallina is two assists away from matching Nate Solomon's career assist total of 40. You simply don't know ball.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

The Spallina and Solomon comparison is merely styles of play (mostly finishing). Spallina is 100x the passer he is but the way he moves around the crease, and that right side, as a strong right finisher reminds me a lot of him. Solomon was never the QB Spallina is but Joey really doesn’t have the O run through him which is why I think they are similar as righty finishers.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Pretzel logic -- the above is the definition of :lol:
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:17 pm Pretzel logic -- the above is the definition of :lol:
Don’t be mad he won’t crack top two teams of AA. He’s just a finisher. Can’t dodge as we know. Don’t think you’re disagreeing.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:21 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:17 pm Pretzel logic -- the above is the definition of :lol:
Don’t be mad he won’t crack top two teams of AA. He’s just a finisher. Can’t dodge as we know. Don’t think you’re disagreeing.
I guess this is just a bad troll job by you? Or you don’t know how statistics work? Or you don’t know anything about lacrosse? Either way it’s embarrassing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”