Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Sleepdrifter

Re: Games Today

Post by Sleepdrifter »

flushlax77 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:46 pm Tied 11-11! The non-goal looms VERY large Right now. BC is going to DISMANTLE this team. Props to ONW on the call of ND being on the downswing.
It’s posts like this that make me think folks like you, LaxDadMax and ONW (or Cletus) which ever handle he goes by are reminiscent of a folk lore hero football star from Polk High, who scored 4 touchdowns in a 1966 city championship game. Having zero clue about what it takes to play and coach at this level. Maybe sitting listening to the boss’s “Glory Days” while being a keyboard critic should be reconsidered.

You all need to get some new hobbies. Here is a question for your so called downswingers. Having beaten NW, UNC and BC (past 3 National Champs). What other team holds this accomplishment?

Also, maybe brush up on some geography for ONW! Having previously referred to ND as the frauds from Nap City. Indianapolis is often called Nap City, so just a quick reminder, ND is in South Bend!

Take a lap fellas. Or just simply put me on ignore as you conveniently do with any other poster that calls you out! Back to your regularly scheduled nonsense boys. Go get it!
laxmenow

Post by laxmenow »

Great slate of games today: from Mich vs MD informing us on contenders for #1, BC needing to handle UNC to continue to warrant a high ranking, JMU - Hop a great test to see who belongs in the top 8-10, a couple key Ivy games to continue sorting the wheat from the chaff and all the intra-conference games in full swing. Already an hour in to a seven hour marathon watching session!
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

laxmenow wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:01 pm Great slate of games today: from Mich vs MD informing us on contenders for #1, BC needing to handle UNC to continue to warrant a high ranking, JMU - Hop a great test to see who belongs in the top 8-10, a couple key Ivy games to continue sorting the wheat from the chaff and all the intra-conference games in full swing. Already an hour in to a seven hour marathon watching session!
Watching MD v Michigan game . Unimpressed with Michigan . If they somehow pull this off then more about how inconsistent Maryland is …
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

laxmenow wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:01 pm Great slate of games today: from Mich vs MD informing us on contenders for #1, BC needing to handle UNC to continue to warrant a high ranking, JMU - Hop a great test to see who belongs in the top 8-10, a couple key Ivy games to continue sorting the wheat from the chaff and all the intra-conference games in full swing. Already an hour in to a seven hour marathon watching session!
Switched over to Carolina game . Closer than I thought . Trying to lock of Humphrey prob explains why 7goals and only 1 assist . Good thing they have Long she appears to be trying to carry team on her back as other upperclassmen aren’t doing much
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Michigan's defense has been impressive but man is Maryland's offense pitiful. Can't shoot and no real attempt to create easy opportunities. If I'm a Maryland defender it has to be incredibly frustrating.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Maryland gets it done in the second half thanks to a great defensive effort. Offense did what they needed to and won some matchup to get the goals when they needed to. Terps closed the game on a 6-1 run.

Michigan played Santa Maria in goal the first three quarters, then went to O'Grady in the fourth. Michigan plays a little more aggressive defense than Maryland but both defenses are very good at what they do. My concern for both teams is they don't have enough offensive weapons to play deep into May.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Can’t believe UVA gets upset by Duke 15 - 10 :roll:
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

NULax2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:10 pm Can’t believe UVA gets upset by Duke 15 - 10 :roll:
What??? Holy cow did not see that happening !!
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:04 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 pm
Fischer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm My daughter told me I officially have a problem. I’m watching a D2 game. Tampa vs Florida Southern. Honestly. Not much different than games I’ve watched with middle of the road D1 teams. They seem to turn the ball over less than the Penn State v Lehigh game I saw.
Enjoy those D2 games…..those kids can play. Top 10 are about right where you speak. Usually entertaining games at the top of the table but at the bottom it is hard to watch and there are some overmatched teams in whatever game their playing in.
It was a good game. Some weird decisions at the end. The top level talent on the two ranked teams could definitely play D1. It just must suck when these teams have to play other teams. I looked at their schedules and a ton of blowouts.
Anything below the top 25 in d1 is god awful Many girls at top d2 schools could easily play on top 25 d1 teams Some don’t want to live eat breathe lax I know many a nursing student that were flat out told by top d1 programs it’s not possible to do Tuck the pretentious in a little

That's a bit unfair. Honestly believe the gap between 16 and 40 is usually pretty minimal. The difference is one or two more difference makers or more often just coaching and experience. For instance if Ohio State (a team ranked around 40) beat Princeton (a team ranked in high teens) would that really shock you?

I would agree that once you get past 50, talent declines pretty fast.

Here is a question for debate.

Which of the following teams (if any) would win a D2 natty?

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
I think the drop is a bit more steep than you think outside the top 25. As to your question, I don’t know. Those might be interesting games. As a barometer, Lindenwood is only a few years out from being a National Champion.

Those crossover games would certainly be fun to see. Unfortunately they stopped in the 90’s
Bart, my point was that the bottom 5 or 6 of the top 25 just isn't that good. This year, there are no elite teams, probably 4 or 5 outstanding teams, 10 or 12 very good teams and then a lot of mediocrity, which is being propped up by a bunch of Ivies with 15 seniors on their rosters.

If you go to the poll thread, folks really don't even know who to put 20-25. Are Colorado and Fairfield really that much better than Ohio State, Duke or Richmond?

To your Lindenwood point, they played Maryville (#5 or 6 in D2) in a fall ball game. The score was something like 19-5.
I don’t disagree with you. My comment of the top 25 was in D2. So my inability to convey a coherent thought was on full display.

Didn’t know about the fall scrimmage, but I am not surprised. Lindenwood is having a nice yeat.

The fact that an admittedly underperforming Coastal team just beat Lindenwood today (as I predicted) kinda shows this gap (and pumps the brakes on anyone who put Lwood in their top 25).
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:40 pm Maryland gets it done in the second half thanks to a great defensive effort. Offense did what they needed to and won some matchup to get the goals when they needed to. Terps closed the game on a 6-1 run.

Michigan played Santa Maria in goal the first three quarters, then went to O'Grady in the fourth. Michigan plays a little more aggressive defense than Maryland but both defenses are very good at what they do. My concern for both teams is they don't have enough offensive weapons to play deep into May.
Here is my take. Every team in the country is flawed. (see below). Some flaws bigger than others, other flaws only appear intermittently. Who makes Raleigh in May will come down to matchups and who can execute. Expect much closer games in Elite 8 than normal.

The Flawed 10 (in no particular order).

1. MD -- stagnant offense, limited scoring options
2. NW -- no defensive depth as long as Sammy White is out
3. ND -- late game coaching, slow on defense
4. Cuse -- late game nerves, struggle against zones
5. Michigan -- only 2 real offensive weapons, too many turnovers
6. BC -- Belle Smith regressing, inconstant goalie play
7. Loyola -- lack of big game experienced, take too many cards, not as athletic as other elite teams
8. UVA -- lack of experience in big games, very young, no go-to offensive player
9. Florida -- their defense
10. Penn -- draw team not consistent, lack of big game experience.

My point in posting this is not to rip any of these teams, but to point out that there are no elite teams and really no heavy favorite this year.

If I had to pick a final four right now it would be NW, Cuse, BC and ND right now with NW over Cuse winning assuming that Sammy White is back.

If White is out, I'd make Cuse the favorites likely over BC in the title game.

I think lots will depend on seeding. Critical for MD to get a top 2 seed. Can't see them scoring enough to beat ND, BC or even Loyola in a game with final four on the line.

I think the best team noone is talking about is Florida. Their early season MD win looking better now and they can score with anyone. They are a team I wouldn't want to face in a sweet 16 or elite 8 game. Not saying they will make the final four, I dont think they will. But I can see them shocking a big name early in the tourney as an unseeded team.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:13 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:04 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm My daughter told me I officially have a problem. I’m watching a D2 game. Tampa vs Florida Southern. Honestly. Not much different than games I’ve watched with middle of the road D1 teams. They seem to turn the ball over less than the Penn State v Lehigh game I saw.
Enjoy those D2 games…..those kids can play. Top 10 are about right where you speak. Usually entertaining games at the top of the table but at the bottom it is hard to watch and there are some overmatched teams in whatever game their playing in.
It was a good game. Some weird decisions at the end. The top level talent on the two ranked teams could definitely play D1. It just must suck when these teams have to play other teams. I looked at their schedules and a ton of blowouts.
Anything below the top 25 in d1 is god awful Many girls at top d2 schools could easily play on top 25 d1 teams Some don’t want to live eat breathe lax I know many a nursing student that were flat out told by top d1 programs it’s not possible to do Tuck the pretentious in a little

That's a bit unfair. Honestly believe the gap between 16 and 40 is usually pretty minimal. The difference is one or two more difference makers or more often just coaching and experience. For instance if Ohio State (a team ranked around 40) beat Princeton (a team ranked in high teens) would that really shock you?

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
I think the drop is a bit more steep than you think outside the top 25. As to your question, I don’t know. Those might be interesting games. As a barometer, Lindenwood is only a few years out from being a National Champion.

Those crossover games would certainly be fun to see. Unfortunately they stopped in the 90’s
Bart, my point was that the bottom 5 or 6 of the top 25 just isn't that good. This year, there are no elite teams, probably 4 or 5 outstanding teams, 10 or 12 very good teams and then a lot of mediocrity, which is being propped up by a bunch of Ivies with 15 seniors on their rosters.

If you go to the poll thread, folks really don't even know who to put 20-25. Are Colorado and Fairfield really that much better than Ohio State, Duke or Richmond?

To your Lindenwood point, they played Maryville (#5 or 6 in D2) in a fall ball game. The score was something like 19-5.
I don’t disagree with you. My comment of the top 25 was in D2. So my inability to convey a coherent thought was on full display.

Didn’t know about the fall scrimmage, but I am not surprised. Lindenwood is having a nice yeat.

The fact that an admittedly underperforming Coastal team just beat Lindenwood today (as I predicted) kinda shows this gap (and pumps the brakes on anyone who put Lwood in their top 25).
Yep! 100%. Btw. I had Coastal and Duke winning today. (Patting my own back) 😁
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Sleepdrifter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am
flushlax77 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:46 pm Tied 11-11! The non-goal looms VERY large Right now. BC is going to DISMANTLE this team. Props to ONW on the call of ND being on the downswing.
It’s posts like this that make me think folks like you, LaxDadMax and ONW (or Cletus) which ever handle he goes by are reminiscent of a folk lore hero football star from Polk High, who scored 4 touchdowns in a 1966 city championship game. Having zero clue about what it takes to play and coach at this level. Maybe sitting listening to the boss’s “Glory Days” while being a keyboard critic should be reconsidered.

You all need to get some new hobbies. Here is a question for your so called downswingers. Having beaten NW, UNC and BC (past 3 National Champs). What other team holds this accomplishment?

Also, maybe brush up on some geography for ONW! Having previously referred to ND as the frauds from Nap City. Indianapolis is often called Nap City, so just a quick reminder, ND is in South Bend!

Take a lap fellas. Or just simply put me on ignore as you conveniently do with any other poster that calls you out! Back to your regularly scheduled nonsense boys. Go get it!
Getting compared to ONW is literally the meanest thing you could say to me
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 pm

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
Honestly. Maybe just ASU. Long shot Mercer. Coastal isn’t good. I know you are big on them but they took a HUGE step back this year. Watched a few of their games. Way too inconsistent. Lehigh has a tremendous goalie. But their offense is really only three kids who can score. Those same three turn it over religiously. I mean ridiculously a lot and most of the time unforced. Mercer I think had a really great season last year, took a step back. Davidson is in the Coastal department. So maybe Arizona State.

I’ve watched multiple Pace and Adelphi games. Seen Tampa, E Stroudsberg, Westchester and now Florida Southern. I think those teams could give the aforementioned teams a really good game with probably beating ASU 50% of the times
Of course before the nuts come out and attack me because one of their kids go to one of those schools, It’s just my opinion and I really don’t know anything. I’m also two hours into my drinking session. 😉
Crazy how Coastal Carolina took a step back then beat your team that’s two years out of a national championship, Lindenwood. Go ahead and pump the brakes on your Coastal Carolina hot takes.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Michigan was a huge disappointment today. Inconsistency is a downfall in tough games for them. They aren’t used to winning games like this. Better to take the loss and grow rather than later in the year. They may figure it out and game a win vs Northwestern on 4/20. Still plenty of time to fix things.

On Coastal Carolina, we should take a few points into account. From what I’ve seen, they relied heavily on Downey last season and the offensive chemistry just was not there in the early season—looks like they are figuring it out now. Defensively they are inconsistent—both goalies in the Lindenwood game couldn’t save much (from stats). Looks like too many fouls on the 8m as well.

Which of Coastal Carolina’s 4 losses were a lock for them to win? They were picked to end 3rd in conference and Liberty is the next big test coming up soon.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

CTra wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:08 am
MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:13 pm Hot take here. The #1 should be Northwestern. Making Maryland #1 was just so undeserved and showed people were grasping at straws.

I’m fine with Michigan moving to #1, but I’m not fully bought in until I see them play Northwestern on 4-20.
Why should Northwestern be #1? The top ranked team should not lose to an unranked and inconsistent opponent (Penn State). Sorry.
See the first 3 words? Hot take. Doesn’t have to be accurate but after how this week played out? No surprise here.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:28 pm
jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:40 pm Maryland gets it done in the second half thanks to a great defensive effort. Offense did what they needed to and won some matchup to get the goals when they needed to. Terps closed the game on a 6-1 run.

Here is my take. Every team in the country is flawed. (see below). Some flaws bigger than others, other flaws only appear intermittently. Who makes Raleigh in May will come down to matchups and who can execute. Expect much closer games in Elite 8 than normal.

The Flawed 10 (in no particular order).

1. MD -- stagnant offense, limited scoring options
2. NW -- no defensive depth as long as Sammy White is out
3. ND -- late game coaching, slow on defense
4. Cuse -- late game nerves, struggle against zones
5. Michigan -- only 2 real offensive weapons, too many turnovers
6. BC -- Belle Smith regressing, inconstant goalie play
7. Loyola -- lack of big game experienced, take too many cards, not as athletic as other elite teams
8. UVA -- lack of experience in big games, very young, no go-to offensive player
9. Florida -- their defense
10. Penn -- draw team not consistent, lack of big game experience.

My point in posting this is not to rip any of these teams, but to point out that there are no elite teams and really no heavy favorite this year.

If I had to pick a final four right now it would be NW, Cuse, BC and ND right now with NW over Cuse winning assuming that Sammy White is back.

If White is out, I'd make Cuse the favorites likely over BC in the title game.

I think lots will depend on seeding. Critical for MD to get a top 2 seed. Can't see them scoring enough to beat ND, BC or even Loyola in a game with final four on the line.

I think the best team noone is talking about is Florida. Their early season MD win looking better now and they can score with anyone. They are a team I wouldn't want to face in a sweet 16 or elite 8 game. Not saying they will make the final four, I dont think they will. But I can see them shocking a big name early in the tourney as an unseeded team.
I do like Florida too. I don’t think they’re a final 4 team but I agree they could upset a team in the sweet 16. I think Stony Brook also has this possibility. I completely agree that the best teams might not be in the final 4 and then it will all come down to who matches up against who, not who are the best 4 teams.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Anyone watching Dartmouth v Harvard?

Non lacrosse related but it looks like they have a 4K camera down on field, think NFL style where they have a super high definition close up shot of the players after goals etc. It’s pretty cool.

Anyway Harvard up 9-5 right now
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:08 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 pm

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
Honestly. Maybe just ASU. Long shot Mercer. Coastal isn’t good. I know you are big on them but they took a HUGE step back this year. Watched a few of their games. Way too inconsistent. Lehigh has a tremendous goalie. But their offense is really only three kids who can score. Those same three turn it over religiously. I mean ridiculously a lot and most of the time unforced. Mercer I think had a really great season last year, took a step back. Davidson is in the Coastal department. So maybe Arizona State.

I’ve watched multiple Pace and Adelphi games. Seen Tampa, E Stroudsberg, Westchester and now Florida Southern. I think those teams could give the aforementioned teams a really good game with probably beating ASU 50% of the times
Of course before the nuts come out and attack me because one of their kids go to one of those schools, It’s just my opinion and I really don’t know anything. I’m also two hours into my drinking session. 😉
Crazy how Coastal Carolina took a step back then beat your team that’s two years out of a national championship, Lindenwood. Go ahead and pump the brakes on your Coastal Carolina hot takes.
My team Lindenwood. Lmao.
People on this site needs to relax and take a breath when their daughter’s teams are mentioned. You guys kick around my daughter’s team the last two years, I don’t say boo. Great win. That should move them up from 70 to 65.
Relax Molon. Have a cream soda. What you said is exactly what I said in the beginning. Others, probably including yourself, disagreed. I said Downey leaving would hurt them. It did.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

ND scoring 26 goals today against Pitt. Top 4 scorers for ND put up 15 goals. Including some late ones when they were up huge. Sorry but that is stat padding.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:25 pm ND scoring 26 goals today against Pitt. Top 4 scorers for ND put up 15 goals. Including some late ones when they were up huge. Sorry but that is stat padding.
Hopkins putting the hurt on JMU

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”