UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Kleizaster »

thegman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:32 pm
CloutierPoutine wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:56 pm Anyone watch the game and have take aways?
I did, and will qualify my comments with I was laid up with the stomach flu (not recommended) so don't take this for much insight.

Duffy is clearly fearless (borderline reckless) going to goal. I'm giving him a lot of rope though as we need that Alpha mentality somewhere at A. Before long he'll be labeled a "volume" shooter but I don't care and I don't think coaches do either. His misses this year have been a large % of pipes and/or a half-step away from getting clear to top-side and/or free hands. That will come, he's too talented not to adapt and in most every game he's drawn the #1 pole. McGovern is the calm steady hand and Petro the finisher. I like Matan getting run vs bigger bodied poles but trust coaches know better when/if he's at A. Levy is doing far better this season than my perception of a "coach's kid" getting time as a courtesy.

Mid seems to still be a work in progress. I'm praying Tillman gets his shooting % up because he's dangerous (and a GREAT kid). He's the quickest we have at the position and able to beat most any SSDM off the dodge with his 1st step. His UNC resume indicates he can score when he's locked in. He had 1 solid finish running through 3-4 guys but missed a step-down. I'm getting more impressed with Wrede as his run time increases. He had a nice BTB finish and whatever he's doing in practice indicates he's earning the extra time. Hoping that DeMarco can ramp up his production soon. He's too talented to be a role player. And my final thought is English needs some run on offense. He's got the talent, frame, motor and nose for the goal that would help IMHO. Matan/Egan need more fire coming out of the box. Maybe someone needs to remind them both of their size and ability to muscle their way to draw and dump or get a step to the goal.

D is better than I thought it would be, Barton in particular. I'm waiting for Thomann to get to his HS YouTube highlights form but again giving him time being thrown into the fire as a Fresh.

FO is clearly a strong suit. Wambach and Tyeryar are a potent 1-2 punch.
Good stuff. I remember Tillman being so dangerous 2 years ago, especially in the NCAA tournament. Really stepped up when the offense dried up and was hard to defend with some insane speed bursts from behind the cage. Feels like he's playing conservative.

I agree, the midfield is the biggest weakness. I'm confident enough in Dom, Duff, and Matan to score. Good for about 5-6 goals a game in ACC play. But that won't be enough. This team is really lacking that elite sniper like a Luke Goldstock or Chad Tutton who could rip it from anywhere. Lack of midfield production is partly to blame from Duffy's volume shooting. Puts more pressure on him to try to do more.
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:14 am
thegman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:32 pm
CloutierPoutine wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:56 pm Anyone watch the game and have take aways?
I did, and will qualify my comments with I was laid up with the stomach flu (not recommended) so don't take this for much insight.

Duffy is clearly fearless (borderline reckless) going to goal. I'm giving him a lot of rope though as we need that Alpha mentality somewhere at A. Before long he'll be labeled a "volume" shooter but I don't care and I don't think coaches do either. His misses this year have been a large % of pipes and/or a half-step away from getting clear to top-side and/or free hands. That will come, he's too talented not to adapt and in most every game he's drawn the #1 pole. McGovern is the calm steady hand and Petro the finisher. I like Matan getting run vs bigger bodied poles but trust coaches know better when/if he's at A. Levy is doing far better this season than my perception of a "coach's kid" getting time as a courtesy.

Mid seems to still be a work in progress. I'm praying Tillman gets his shooting % up because he's dangerous (and a GREAT kid). He's the quickest we have at the position and able to beat most any SSDM off the dodge with his 1st step. His UNC resume indicates he can score when he's locked in. He had 1 solid finish running through 3-4 guys but missed a step-down. I'm getting more impressed with Wrede as his run time increases. He had a nice BTB finish and whatever he's doing in practice indicates he's earning the extra time. Hoping that DeMarco can ramp up his production soon. He's too talented to be a role player. And my final thought is English needs some run on offense. He's got the talent, frame, motor and nose for the goal that would help IMHO. Matan/Egan need more fire coming out of the box. Maybe someone needs to remind them both of their size and ability to muscle their way to draw and dump or get a step to the goal.

D is better than I thought it would be, Barton in particular. I'm waiting for Thomann to get to his HS YouTube highlights form but again giving him time being thrown into the fire as a Fresh.

FO is clearly a strong suit. Wambach and Tyeryar are a potent 1-2 punch.
Good stuff. I remember Tillman being so dangerous 2 years ago, especially in the NCAA tournament. Really stepped up when the offense dried up and was hard to defend with some insane speed bursts from behind the cage. Feels like he's playing conservative.

I agree, the midfield is the biggest weakness. I'm confident enough in Dom, Duff, and Matan to score. Good for about 5-6 goals a game in ACC play. But that won't be enough. This team is really lacking that elite sniper like a Luke Goldstock or Chad Tutton who could rip it from anywhere. Lack of midfield production is partly to blame from Duffy's volume shooting. Puts more pressure on him to try to do more.
In my mind an aggressive DeMarco, Tillman, and Egan provide the midfield offense but in practice we just have not seen it... Maybe Levy and Wrede continue to improve and provide some help. Want to see us competitive in ACC games this year. Last year was brutal...
Lax4love

Post by Lax4love »

Agree, on those midfielders (Egan, Tillman, Demarco) having a lot of talent, and can be augmented by Matan when he is not at attack. The time is now for production to be generated out of the midfield. HPU is a pretty good test, but then Army, Syracuse and the rest of the ACC schedule drops. The defense has been very strong but there will be some games where the offense is going to have to carry the load....
CloutierPoutine

Lax4love wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:39 pm Agree, on those midfielders (Egan, Tillman, Demarco) having a lot of talent, and can be augmented by Matan when he is not at attack. The time is now for production to be generated out of the midfield. HPU is a pretty good test, but then Army, Syracuse and the rest of the ACC schedule drops. The defense has been very strong but there will be some games where the offense is going to have to carry the load....
A name you never hear anymore is Tayden Bultman. Was a big time recruit out of California with freak athleticism. Injuries plagued his Junior and Senior year and I do not think he will see the field. Had high hopes for him.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Second season starts today:
1) Army’s loss to BU yesterday takes a little luster off next weeks game; too bad Army will be more focused and Angry
2) But first UNC needs to take care of HPU. They have scored a lot of points and cant be overlooked.
3) Anything is within reach….one game at a time! Good luck UNC
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That is one of the best tie-game, end of game set plays I've seen in a while.
High Point with 7 straight goals while shutting out UNC most of the 2nd half wins it.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

1-3 vs teams with winning records
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:29 pm 1-3 vs teams with winning records
....rpi...rpi....rpi

winning records ,too funny !

like winning matters in NCAA lacrosse invitation world

Yeah Quinn, we don't understand that schedule either

there's always strength of schedule that's another awesome way to get in eye roll eye roll eye roll
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:03 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:29 pm 1-3 vs teams with winning records
....rpi...rpi....rpi

winning records ,too funny !

like winning matters in NCAA lacrosse invitation world

Yeah Quinn, we don't understand that schedule either

there's always strength of schedule that's another awesome way to get in eye roll eye roll eye roll
They still have to play Army and all their ACC conference opponents. Optimistically, they could get hot, so too early to shovel dirt on them, although getting in the tournament is an uphill climb from here. Breschi's 5 star recruits are gonna/getting enormous pressure, to flip, regardless. he will have to prove he has turned the corner after 16 years. That doesn't seem like much to expect if he was the correct choice to extend.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Tough loss for UNC. If you have not seen the game winning goal by High Point, you can see it on ESPN Top 10 Plays. Gorgeous play - BTB pass to the crease for a game winning twizzler.
CloutierPoutine

Embarrassing collapse from the Heels... Young attack stopped playing and had comically bad turnovers thinking the game was over. Whole team gave up!
thegman

Post by thegman »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:50 pm Embarrassing collapse from the Heels... Young attack stopped playing and had comically bad turnovers thinking the game was over. Whole team gave up!
Even worse in person and no rest for the weary. The teeth of the sched is in front of them and I'm not sure where to find Ws. Hard to imagine an uninspired Army team coming to CH Sat. Sub .500 reg season record looms unless the battleship gets turned around.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Duffy & Petro was 2g on 16 shots. vs HP. For the season some absolutely bizarre numbers 47 goals on 181 shots between the two. We haven’t hit April yet? Two attackman w 181 shots. What is the OC trying to accomplish? You cant live this way. These two certainly are part of the plan but others need to get involved. Bad shots are turnovers.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:13 am Duffy & Petro was 2g on 16 shots. vs HP. For the season some absolutely bizarre numbers 47 goals on 181 shots between the two. We haven’t hit April yet? Two attackman w 181 shots. What is the OC trying to accomplish? You cant live this way. These two certainly are part of the plan but others need to get involved. Bad shots are turnovers.
For comparison, Cormier and Millon are 62 goals on 145 shots. I know lot is being said about UVA being positionless on offense but I feel these two may be more attack-like than the others. I picked UVA because both are ACC, they will be playing each other, etc etc

I draw no conclusions or at least post no conclusion.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:37 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:13 am Duffy & Petro was 2g on 16 shots. vs HP. For the season some absolutely bizarre numbers 47 goals on 181 shots between the two. We haven’t hit April yet? Two attackman w 181 shots. What is the OC trying to accomplish? You cant live this way. These two certainly are part of the plan but others need to get involved. Bad shots are turnovers.
For comparison, Cormier and Millon are 62 goals on 145 shots. I know lot is being said about UVA being positionless on offense but I feel these two may be more attack-like than the others. I picked UVA because both are ACC, they will be playing each other, etc etc

It seems like Duffy and Petro are in line with the other most shot happy twosomes in the ACC. I did this pretty quickly so I might have some errors, but when it comes to percentage of goals and shots on a team by the two leading shooters, the breakdown is as follows.

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Duke - O'Neil and Williams
Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Notre Dame - Taylor and C. Kavanagh
Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Syracuse - Spallina and Hiltz
Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

I suppose the better thing to do would eliminate goals scored when the benches are cleared, but I didn't want to spend the time to do that.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:19 pm

It seems like Duffy and Petro are in line with the other most shot happy twosomes in the ACC. I did this pretty quickly so I might have some errors, but when it comes to percentage of goals and shots on a team by the two leading shooters, the breakdown is as follows.

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

I suppose the better thing to do would eliminate goals scored when the benches are cleared, but I didn't want to spend the time to do that.
yeah, the problem with the op is stats don't live in a vacuum
and who @ unc has shown that they need more shots? no one with any real volume has really done any better. one of the big differentiators of v good or great teams is shooting percentage. the baseline is about 33%. high 20s or worse is... a team that'll struggle to win big games at some point.

they're also on the field almost all of the time? that's 33% of the offensive guys, and they've taken 40% of the shots? not crazy, especially as attackmen they're closest to the net and predisposed to get more shots. of course, that should also mean their percentages probably should be better than the team, at least marginally.

unc to be better needs to shoot better. as a group. the 2 of them are (basically) freshmen and what the coaches are building around for the future. definitely not bizarre.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Nice research comparing tandems. But, UNC’s two fresh are a hot dog & a bag of chips compared to the rest of the Acc duos. Maybe we need a bigger sample size. As Army comes to town, then ACC play starts we will have a good idea.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

What do you mean by “a hot dog and a bag of chips”?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

Not sure comparison of pairs of players gives an accurate pic. Cormier shoots at will, like Petro and Duffy, but should. The 2 1st year players, Duffy and Millon are a better comparison, but there are things to consider there as well. I assume Duffy is getting the top pole and Millon is not. However, Virginia has played a much tougher schedule than UNC to date so is the 2nd or 3rd guy at close better than a 1 or 2 of many of the UNC opponents? One thing is clear. Millon has been more efficient to date. Millon has scored 38 points on 26 &12 but has only taken 67 shots. Duffy has 41 points on 23 & 18 but has taken 96 shots. Bottom line, they are both fabulous players who should only get better. Both are entering the toughest part of their schedules so which 1st year ends up with the best season should become more clear with comparisons against the same opponents.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

UVA - Cormier and Millon
Goals - 44%
Shots - 39%

UNC- Duffy and Petro
Goals - 38%
Shots - 40%

Goals - 38%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 37%
Shots - 36%

Goals - 29%
Shots - 27%

We have one player at Brown who has accounted for 30% of our shots on his own. Unfortunately his shot percentage is .172

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”