Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
ACClaxfan

Re: Games Today

Post by ACClaxfan »

Let me preface this by saying I am a big UVA fan and have been for some time. Have watched as many of their games as possibly for those years and have seen several in person. They are playing inspired this year and I would assume the new coaching staff and the veteran leaders have a lot to do with it. Now for the negative, lets pump the breaks on the youth movement, most appeared a bit overwhelmed in the Cuse game as did the coaches . The coaches better figure out the draw or it will be an early NCAA exit again. Seemed to have no plan when schwab gets faceguarded, no back up plan at the draw, terrible use and non use of timeouts. Also could not help but notice 2 veteran players sitting out (close to 200 goals between these middies) while a young inexperienced 2 middies (less than 20 goals between them ) were in during key moments and it cost them on both the defensive side and offensive side. If they can figure out the draw they could be dangerous.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

ACClaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:42 pm Let me preface this by saying I am a big UVA fan and have been for some time. Have watched as many of their games as possibly for those years and have seen several in person. They are playing inspired this year and I would assume the new coaching staff and the veteran leaders have a lot to do with it. Now for the negative, lets pump the breaks on the youth movement, most appeared a bit overwhelmed in the Cuse game as did the coaches . The coaches better figure out the draw or it will be an early NCAA exit again. Seemed to have no plan when schwab gets faceguarded, no back up plan at the draw, terrible use and non use of timeouts. Also could not help but notice 2 veteran players sitting out (close to 200 goals between these middies) while a young inexperienced 2 middies (less than 20 goals between them ) were in during key moments and it cost them on both the defensive side and offensive side. If they can figure out the draw they could be dangerous.
I can’t wait to see the responses for this one.
Insert meme of Michael Jackson eating popcorn.
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 pm
ACClaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:42 pm Let me preface this by saying I am a big UVA fan and have been for some time. Have watched as many of their games as possibly for those years and have seen several in person. They are playing inspired this year and I would assume the new coaching staff and the veteran leaders have a lot to do with it. Now for the negative, lets pump the breaks on the youth movement, most appeared a bit overwhelmed in the Cuse game as did the coaches . The coaches better figure out the draw or it will be an early NCAA exit again. Seemed to have no plan when schwab gets faceguarded, no back up plan at the draw, terrible use and non use of timeouts. Also could not help but notice 2 veteran players sitting out (close to 200 goals between these middies) while a young inexperienced 2 middies (less than 20 goals between them ) were in during key moments and it cost them on both the defensive side and offensive side. If they can figure out the draw they could be dangerous.
Not trying to start trouble but I am not sure what your response even means . MJ eating popcorn ?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

ACClaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:43 pm
Not trying to start trouble but I am not sure what your response even means . MJ eating popcorn ?
I didn’t think you were. Just some rabid Virginia and LaMonica fans here. MJ eating popcorn or Jon Stewart. It’s a meme used when people are just standing by watching what occurs.
Last edited by Relax77 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Who are the "two veteran players sitting out"? It's okay to identify who they are. This is not the CIA or NSA. Here's the question : do YOU know why they were sitting out? Injuries or discipline? If you know, state it. If you don't, then maybe someone else does.

Your comment about the coaches being overwhelmed, comes from where? My guess is that Sonia and Michael Lamonica have seen more and been involved in more big moments and decisions as players(both were AA at MD) and coaches(4 CAA Championships, 6 NCAA Tournament appearances) than anyone in this Forum. They also didn't get a lot of so-called Blue Chip players, and yet they were successful. Just wanted to drop some facts to say that the UVa staff didn't flunk Coaching 101.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:47 pm
I didn’t think you were. Just some rabid Virginia and LaMonica fans here. MJ eating popcorn or Jon Stewart. It’s a meme used when people are just standing by watching what occurs.
Wow , you literally nailed it , I had no idea what you were talking about then I read the next post from some Lamonica fan boy . Honestly just posting my opinion but did not realize that some protective order fans would be so insulted .
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:47 pm
Who are the "two veteran players sitting out"? It's okay to identify who they are. This is not the CIA or NSA. Here's the question : do YOU know why they were sitting out? Injuries or discipline? If you know, state it. If you don't, then maybe someone else does.

Your comment about the coaches being overwhelmed, comes from where? My guess is that Sonia and Michael Lamonica have seen more and been involved in more big moments and decisions as players(both were AA at MD) and coaches(4 CAA Championships, 6 NCAA Tournament appearances) than anyone in this Forum. They also didn't get a lot of so-called Blue Chip players, and yet they were successful. Just wanted to drop some facts to say that the UVa staff didn't funk Coaching 101.
Last edited by ACClaxfan on Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 pm I can’t wait to see the responses for this one.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I won't try to put myself forth as having looked at this with a trained eye but I thought this was the turning point of the game. Even though she scored 5 goals in the game, Carnavale's total lack of game awareness in this sequence was a real killer. And she's a grad student so the rookies take no blame here.

I think this team has great raw talent and enthusiasm, and plenty of time to tighten things up as the real nitty gritty games increase the rest of the regular season and into ACC Tournament play. Wouldn't be shocked in the least if they come away with the ACC Crown. We shall see. Extremely entertaining team to watch since LaMonica took the reins.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Your comment about the coaches being overwhelmed, comes from where? My guess is that Sonia and Michael Lamonica have seen more and been involved in more big moments and decisions as players(both were AA at MD) and coaches(4 CAA Championships, 6 NCAA Tournament appearances) than anyone in this Forum. They also didn't get a lot of so-called Blue Chip players, and yet they were successful. Just wanted to drop some facts to say that the UVa staff didn't funk Coaching 101.
UVA parents on the sideline were puzzled about why Shaw and Hoeg weren’t in the field for long stretches of q4. Maybe they were tired. Not injured though. And although I have been a huge fan of the impact of the new coaches this year, it looked to me like KT won this tactical battle. She shut off Schwab from the get go, she switched out of zone to man to man towards the end of the game which had a noticeable impact, and she emphasized playing fast and creating offense before the uva ride or zone could get settled.

This was a great game of lacrosse played at a very high level. Cuse scored the last three goals of the game to win. I don’t think the coaches will allow Schwab to be shut off again (it’s relatively easy to get the ball to a player that’s being shut off if the team prepares for it and prioritizes it in the game plan). I think uva can be a final four team, particularly if they can get better performance at the draw circle.
Acclaxfan made some good points. I have thought that the lamonicas have won most of the “coaching matchups” this year with their game plan and game management. I didn’t think they won this one….
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:56 am

UVA parents on the sideline were puzzled about why Shaw and Hoeg weren’t in the field for long stretches of q4. Maybe they were tired. Not injured though. And although I have been a huge fan of the impact of the new coaches this year, it looked to me like KT won this tactical battle. She shut off Schwab from the get go, she switched out of zone to man to man towards the end of the game which had a noticeable impact, and she emphasized playing fast and creating offense before the uva ride or zone could get settled.

This was a great game of lacrosse played at a very high level. Cuse scored the last three goals of the game to win. I don’t think the coaches will allow Schwab to be shut off again (it’s relatively easy to get the ball to a player that’s being shut off if the team prepares for it and prioritizes it in the game plan). I think uva can be a final four team, particularly if they can get better performance at the draw circle.
Acclaxfan made some good points. I have thought that the lamonicas have won most of the “coaching matchups” this year with their game plan and game management. I didn’t think they won this one….
Good post, Womenslaxxfan. I think the relatively good job locking off Schwab was a real difference maker in this game too. I think Syracuse's adjustment and effort on the draw were important. The reality is that UVA and Syracuse were tied late in this game. UVA led 13-12 after three, and UVA had a two goal lead -- 14-12 -- in the Fourth. And UVA could have won with a couple of draws and good possession. Cuse rattled off three and that was that.

I thought Virginia played better against Syracuse than it did against JMU.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:45 am I won't try to put myself forth as having looked at this with a trained eye but I thought this was the turning point of the game. Even though she scored 5 goals in the game, Carnavale's total lack of game awareness in this sequence was a real killer. And she's a grad student so the rookies take no blame here.

I think this team has great raw talent and enthusiasm, and plenty of time to tighten things up as the real nitty gritty games increase the rest of the regular season and into ACC Tournament play. Wouldn't be shocked in the least if they come away with the ACC Crown. We shall see. Extremely entertaining team to watch since LaMonica took the reins.
This was carnaveles teammates fault for not letting her know there was a player she couldn’t see. Carnavale 10 percent at fault. UVA bench and teammates 90 percent.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:56 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:45 am I won't try to put myself forth as having looked at this with a trained eye but I thought this was the turning point of the game. Even though she scored 5 goals in the game, Carnavale's total lack of game awareness in this sequence was a real killer. And she's a grad student so the rookies take no blame here.

This was carnaveles teammates fault for not letting her know there was a player she couldn’t see. Carnavale 10 percent at fault. UVA bench and teammates 90 percent.
I don't know – if you listen you hear a lot of yelling get louder the closer the Syracuse player gets to Carnevale. In any event, they as a team should have been more aware of the situation.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:42 am

Good post, Womenslaxxfan. I think the relatively good job locking off Schwab was a real difference maker in this game too. I think Syracuse's adjustment and effort on the draw were important. The reality is that UVA and Syracuse were tied late in this game. UVA led 13-12 after three, and UVA had a two goal lead -- 14-12 -- in the Fourth. And UVA could have won with a couple of draws and good possession. Cuse rattled off three and that was that.

Virginia is a fun team to watch and the off ball movement and passing is excellent. I have said it before that they are #2 in the NCAA in assists per game. They are a zone busting team. 75% of their goals in the Stanford, ND, JMU came off assists. In the ND, JMU and Cuse games, Carnevale and Dinardo combined for 16 goals, 14 off assists. Impressive. I agree Syracuse in Man seemed to have an impact late in the game. Easier said than done, but I wonder if they will see more Man than Zone down the line. And before Virginia fans jump on me – I am not saying that Virginia can’t play and score against man, but if I was a D coordinator playing them, I wouldn’t sit in a zone and let them run their offense and pick me apart, I would make them beat me 1v1.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:21 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:42 am

Virginia is a fun team to watch and the off ball movement and passing is excellent. I have said it before that they are #2 in the NCAA in assists per game. They are a zone busting team. 75% of their goals in the Stanford, ND, JMU came off assists. In the ND, JMU and Cuse games, Carnevale and Dinardo combined for 16 goals, 14 off assists. Impressive. I agree Syracuse in Man seemed to have an impact late in the game. Easier said than done, but I wonder if they will see more Man than Zone down the line. And before Virginia fans jump on me – I am not saying that Virginia can’t play and score against man, but if I was a D coordinator playing them, I wouldn’t sit in a zone and let them run their offense and pick me apart, I would make them beat me 1v1.
Good post!
DMac

Post by DMac »

You see it how you see it but I don't see that as a turning point. The pesky little Nattie sneaks up her from the box (wasn't a player on the field following the play she should have been aware of) and snatches the ball away from her on her blind side. Agree that this is more on the bench for not making her aware by sounding the alarm of the imminent attack coming from the sneaky and speedy diminutive one. Va goes up 12-10 and 14-12 much later on in this game, those are much more critical parts of the game than here.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:12 am

You see it how you see it but I don't see that as a turning point. The pesky little Nattie sneaks up her from the box (wasn't a player on the field following the play she should have been aware of) and snatches the ball away from her on her blind side. Agree that this is more on the bench for not making her aware by sounding the alarm of the imminent attack coming from the sneaky and speedy diminutive one. Va goes up 12-10 and 14-12 much later on in this game, those are much more critical parts of the game than here.
Isn't that Chevarie (45) making the play coming out of the box?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oops, you're right, my bad. Thanks.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I hear you, D. But I think that was a critical moment. Instead of Ginny holding possession inside the 30 and killing off the rest of the Syracuse power play and possibly scoring to make it a 3 goal cushion at the half, they turn it over, Syracuse scores and now it's a 1 goal game at halftime.

And pesky little Nattie (even though as Sea pointed out didn't figure in this sequence) is also a real sniper, and fearless. If opponents game plan without factoring her into the mix, she'll burn their aszes--but good. She's a little powerhouse.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:08 am

I hear you, D. But I think that was a critical moment. Instead of Ginny holding possession inside the 30 and killing off the rest of the Syracuse power play and possibly scoring to make it a 3 goal cushion at the half, they turn it over, Syracuse scores and now it's a 1 goal game at halftime.

And pesky little Nattie (even though as Sea pointed out didn't figure in this sequence) is also a real sniper, and fearless. If opponents game plan without factoring her into the mix, she'll burn their aszes--but good. She's a little powerhouse.
Turning point was Cuse switching to MAN D.
Last edited by intheknow247 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”