D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

UMass @ Brown-Friday Afternoon At 3:00 PM

Post by gymman1031 »

Predicting a good game?
bearlaxfan

Re: UMass @ Brown-Friday Afternoon At 3:00 PM

Post by bearlaxfan »

Both teams' ncaa hopes rest in winning their conferences, so really how much does this game matter, except UMass is on a two game losing streak, and Brown is 0-for-2024 so far, so there is incentive.
UMass is -2.5 on the road. Given previous results, sounds right.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Strange day of the week and start time! Looking forward to a great game between these long time New England rivals.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Think Knote is the difference maker in this one.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:29 am Strange day of the week and start time! Looking forward to a great game between these long time New England rivals.
Games have always been a battle. Just hope the Bears show up today and play like they did against Maryland! LFG Brown State!
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:29 am Strange day of the week and start time! Looking forward to a great game between these long time New England rivals.
Based on tomorrow’s forecast, I would say the schedulers were getting advice from Nostradamus.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Dumb penalties hurting Brown right now. Need to have more composure!
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

At the game, did Daly just call for a stick check on the FOGO??
Relaxin70

Post by Relaxin70 »

Yes. Pure desperation and bush league. Kids will be embarrassed.
molo

Post by molo »

Turned the game around.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Pretty chippy game. Stick check-> penalty. Shades of Tillman 🫤

Brown gets W#1. Has UMass not seen a ride before?
COMMISH

Post by COMMISH »

Spencer Hughes with the break out for Brown! Total sniper….
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Well, apparently something was off with The Drip King’s stick. Saw a call like that earlier this season. Only time it’s a bad call is if it’s wrong. Nothing like the mismatched gloves call by Tills vs OSU. illegal sticks actually give an advantage.

Lots of bad penalties by Brown.

Didn’t love the no TO call when Brown had possession with short time, nor did I like the decision to dodge and shoot right anway and turnover.

But, very happy Bruno held on for a W.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:06 pm Pretty chippy game. Stick check-> penalty. Shades of Tillman 🫤

Brown gets W#1. Has UMass not seen a ride before?
They did vs UVM and lost by one.
Relaxin70

Post by Relaxin70 »

middleAgedBear wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:18 pm Well, apparently something was off with The Drip King’s stick. Saw a call like that earlier this season. Only time it’s a bad call is if it’s wrong. Nothing like the mismatched gloves call by Tills vs OSU. illegal sticks actually give an advantage.

Didn’t love the no TO call when Brown had possession with short time, nor did I like the decision to dodge and shoot right anway and turnover.

BS - shocker a fogo has a pinched stick. He was allowed to straighten it and use it the rest of the game. Every team should call a stick check on browns fogo the rest of the year.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Relaxin70 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:55 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:18 pm Well, apparently something was off with The Drip King’s stick. Saw a call like that earlier this season. Only time it’s a bad call is if it’s wrong. Nothing like the mismatched gloves call by Tills vs OSU. illegal sticks actually give an advantage.

BS - shocker a fogo has a pinched stick. He was allowed to straighten it and use it the rest of the game. Every team should call a stick check on browns fogo the rest of the year.
Great idea! But umass can’t blame the game on a stick check when they went 1-7 EMO.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Who did?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Relaxin70 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:55 pm

Not cool to violate the unwritten rule against calling for a stick check on a FO guy. Note the classy restraint by Cannella not to reciprocate. How have things gone for Tills since his stick check against Princeton FOGO and glove check against OSU? Karma is a b@tch.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I will have to watch the play again, but did Brown players check the UMass FOGO as he went towards goal and were unable to dislodge the ball? If so, it seems a little different to me (seems hard to enforce the unwritten rule on yourself if you feel that you know the pinched stick led to a goal?). I'll admit I've always been agnostic to skeptical on the "unwritten rules" of various sports, so maybe that bias is why I'm not more moved by the issue.

Edited to add: Just rewatched the disallowed FOGO goal and he wasn't checked at all on the play. So I guess this was just a "Tactical Tillman" stick check -- the Brown coaching staff saw something and kept it in their pocket to use if needed. I think when you're 0-6 and a goal seems likely to lead to 0-7 status you probably need to use all the arrows in your quiver. But it'll get folks talking, certainly.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:57 pm I will have to watch the play again, but did Brown players check the UMass FOGO as he went towards goal and were unable to dislodge the ball? If so, it seems a little different to me (seems hard to enforce the unwritten rule on yourself if you feel that you know the pinched stick led to a goal?). I'll admit I've always been agnostic to skeptical on the "unwritten rules" of various sports, so maybe that bias is why I'm not more moved by the issue.

Edited to add: Just rewatched the disallowed FOGO goal and he wasn't checked at all on the play. So I guess this was just a "Tactical Tillman" stick check -- the Brown coaching staff saw something and kept it in their pocket to use if needed. I think when you're 0-6 and a goal seems likely to lead to 0-7 status you probably need to use all the arrows in your quiver. But it'll get folks talking, certainly.
For those who want to watch what Daly called for a stick check:

It starts on the ESPN replay at 1:54:30

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/ ... 1e8219a73b
Last edited by Gorilla Fan on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”