D1 Mens Lacrosse
thoughtbot

Re: NJIT

Post by thoughtbot »

DoubleD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:26 pm
DoubleD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:18 pm
DoubleD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:17 pm
thoughtbot wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:10 pm
DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:41 am Gotta be impressed with coach Wolf at NJIT. The team is off to a 4 - 0 start after winning 9 games in ten yrs of program history. Wolf has won 7 games in 1 season and 4 games. First he took LIU from D 2 to D1 and they were competitive right away while finishing 8 - 7 in 2022 losing in conference tournament to a solid ST JOES team 11 - 10. LIU didn't wanna match NJITs offer so he had to leave as he was underpaid and unfortunately LIU lost what he was building as 6 of his top players transferred out to higher level programs. Now he's building NJIT to be competitive. No one believed that team could ever win 4 games in a row. Sure not tough D 1 comp but still from where they came from it's solid. Have to impressed so wanted to just say something as guys rip bottom D1 teams instead of giving ones who deserve props there props.
- The salary story is incorrect. Wolf completely lost the lockerroom in his time at LIU. He was losing major transfers as well as a result.
- While he was 8-7 on a weak schedule his first year in Division 1, he couldnt take LIU to the playoffs in Division 2 the year before.
- Hes playing an incredibly weak schedule.

Props for being undefeated but theres another coach who just went Division 1 who is the better story in my opinion and thats Dan Sheehan at LeMoyne.
Untrue his guys all transferred after he left LIU so ur WRONG. Only Richie Lacalandra left and the schedule was in the NEC with St Joes, Bryant and Hobart while also having Drexel, Stonybrook and Hofstra which no not top 20 but not a MAAC schedule. LIU made the conference tournament in both 2021 and 2022 the first two yrs legit in D1. 2020 was Covid yr so u have no idea what ur talking about. Lol I have nothing bad to say about Sheehan I don't knock other coaches who have done good things just get ur facts straight before making up nonsense.
Oh and the salary is why he left 100% if I told u what he made at LIU for a D1 HC was pathetic.
Also nothing wrong with a MAAC schedule so I take that back as any D1 schedule is legit.
Ignorance is bliss.
- Transfer portal story is inaccurate. Multiple players were in the transfer portal before Wolf was set to leave. Many players hated him as well and were vocal about it when his departure was announced.
- your reading comprehension is off as well -- 2020 was a division 1 year. i referenced the fact he couldnt make the tournement in their last year in Division 2 in the ECC that had nobody in the conference
- The better story about Sheehan is hes someone who was successful in the division 2 level for a sustained period. The background of how Wolf got the job at LIU to begin with includes many other more qualified candidates being rejected from the job.

Enjoy the flash in the pan because thats all it is
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Still pushing the Hate story line :roll:
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

thoughtbot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:19 am
DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:41 am Gotta be impressed with coach Wolf at NJIT. The team is off to a 4 - 0 start after winning 9 games in ten yrs of program history. Wolf has won 7 games in 1 season and 4 games. First he took LIU from D 2 to D1 and they were competitive right away while finishing 8 - 7 in 2022 losing in conference tournament to a solid ST JOES team 11 - 10. LIU didn't wanna match NJITs offer so he had to leave as he was underpaid and unfortunately LIU lost what he was building as 6 of his top players transferred out to higher level programs. Now he's building NJIT to be competitive. No one believed that team could ever win 4 games in a row. Sure not tough D 1 comp but still from where they came from it's solid. Have to impressed so wanted to just say something as guys rip bottom D1 teams instead of giving ones who deserve props there props.
- The salary story is incorrect. Wolf completely lost the lockerroom in his time at LIU. He was losing major transfers as well as a result.
- While he was 8-7 on a weak schedule his first year in Division 1, he couldnt take LIU to the playoffs in Division 2 the year before.

Props for being undefeated but theres another coach who just went Division 1 who is the better story in my opinion and thats Dan Sheehan at LeMoyne.
Untrue his guys all transferred after he left LIU so ur WRONG. Only Richie Lacalandra left and the schedule was in the NEC with St Joes, Bryant and Hobart while also having Drexel, Stonybrook and Hofstra which no not top 20 but not a MAAC schedule. LIU made the conference tournament in both 2021 and 2022 the first two yrs legit in D1. 2020 was Covid yr so u have no idea what ur talking about. Lol I have nothing bad to say about Sheehan I don't knock other coaches who have done good things just get ur facts straight before making up nonsense.
Oh and the salary is why he left 100% if I told u what he made at LIU for a D1 HC was pathetic.
Also nothing wrong with a MAAC schedule so I take that back as any D1 schedule is legit.
Ignorance is bliss.
- Transfer portal story is inaccurate. Multiple players were in the transfer portal before Wolf was set to leave. Many players hated him as well and were vocal about it when his departure was announced.
- your reading comprehension is off as well -- 2020 was a division 1 year. i referenced the fact he couldnt make the tournement in their last year in Division 2 in the ECC that had nobody in the conference
- The better story about Sheehan is hes someone who was successful in the division 2 level for a sustained period. The background of how Wolf got the job at LIU to begin with includes many other more qualified candidates being rejected from the job.

We get it. Your son hated his time at LIU and didn't get much burn.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Ignorance is bliss.

My nephew was on the team only Lacalandra hit the portal before Wolf left. They were all loyal to Wolf and loved him. Once he left then Will Mark, Jake Murphy transferred to Syracuse, then Chris Cambell hit the portal transfered to Umass, then Joseph to drexal and Behlen to Stonybrook and that is facts my friend. Oh last yr of D2 wasn't Wolfs team he didn't recruit one player he came to LIU knowing they were moving up to D1. They actually lost to Mercy in conference final by a goal which they had the game won but a player dropped a pass as they were running out the clock. 2020 Covid yr then 2021 they lost in conference tournament then 2022 lost to St Joes in conference 11 - 10 as I was there it was a great game. St Joes went on to win conference and lost to Yale 18 - 16 in NCAA tournament. Was a great game vs Yale. So ur just hater of Wolf and Sheehan hasn't proved himself in D 1 yet like Wolf did at LIU and now undefeated at NJIT.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Ignorance is bliss.

Also Wolf wasn't qualified? He coached at Siena for a few yrs then he coached at Albany as the OC on 2014 - 2016 while the two Thomson brother played there. Then was the OC at Harvard for a yr. Then went to LIU so how was he not qualified? He coached many yrs in D 1 and some of the best players to ever play the game. His offense at Albany set records. Sorry ur son didn't play much in D 2 for a Wolf but don't blame him I mean he took that D2 team and added his recruits and was competitive from the jump in D1. U know that final season in D 2 his team beat eventually champs and two time champs Merrimack too? They had some good players so that's why ur son didn't get much PT don't hate on the coach.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

7 and 0 - where's the Wolf Hater 8-)
JerseyGuy

Post by JerseyGuy »

Great job by the Highlanders. However, it’s not hard to see that the majority of the top contributors were from the previous regime. Wolf has done a great job in scheduling in particular. The previous coach totally over-scheduled (Delaware, Army, Princeton, etc.) Wolf will need to prove he can win there with the majority of players being his recruits.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

JerseyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:00 pm Great job by the Highlanders. However, it’s not hard to see that the majority of the top contributors were from the previous regime. Wolf has done a great job in scheduling in particular. The previous coach totally over-scheduled (Delaware, Army, Princeton, etc.) Wolf will need to prove he can win there with the majority of players being his recruits.
Scheduling? NJIT went like 1-17 vs. Monmouth, Manhattan and Wagner the 8 seasons prior to the new coach. He's 4-2 against them in 2 years.

NJIT also went like 1-12 against VMI, Siena, Umass Lowell and Binghamton over those 8 seasons prior to the new coach.

Fresh leadership can be a flash in the pan, but over-scheduling was not the reason NJIT was winless against a team like VMI in four tries.

Also, it's more impressive winning with the previous coach's players when the previous coach couldn't win with them.

We'll see what Wolf's long term coaching and recruiting ability is, but breaking nearly every record in season 2 is nothing to sneeze at. Especially with someone else's players making up most of the team.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yeah,

Take the 7 and 0,

there’s three game gauntlet coming up.
Maybe they pull off an upset,
maybe they pull off 2-3 in conference wins.
lilax

Post by lilax »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:58 pm
JerseyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:00 pm Great job by the Highlanders. However, it’s not hard to see that the majority of the top contributors were from the previous regime. Wolf has done a great job in scheduling in particular. The previous coach totally over-scheduled (Delaware, Army, Princeton, etc.) Wolf will need to prove he can win there with the majority of players being his recruits.
Scheduling? NJIT went like 1-17 vs. Monmouth, Manhattan and Wagner the 8 seasons prior to the new coach. He's 4-2 against them in 2 years.

NJIT also went like 1-12 against VMI, Siena, Umass Lowell and Binghamton over those 8 seasons prior to the new coach.

Fresh leadership can be a flash in the pan, but over-scheduling was not the reason NJIT was winless against a team like VMI in four tries.

Also, it's more impressive winning with the previous coach's players when the previous coach couldn't win with them.

We'll see what Wolf's long term coaching and recruiting ability is, but breaking nearly every record in season 2 is nothing to sneeze at. Especially with someone else's players making up most of the team.
Before you crucify the previous staff remember the situation they were in. Johnson had nothing for the first 5 years of the program.

They competed as an independent. For those that aren't aware, most conference have mandatory minimums for funding (Scholarships/Full Time Coaches/Budget/etc.). Being an independent means the school can treat the program however they want it.

NJIT did not had a homefield for those 5 years also. They played and practice 20 minutes away at DIII's Rutgers-Newark and Drew University.

So tell me this. If you are a recruit, are you willing to go to a school who doesn't have an home field and does not have a chance to make the NCAA playoffs?

They jumped the America East in 2020 and immediately had to get a 2nd assistant and bump their funding up.
JerseyGuy

Post by JerseyGuy »

For a couple of those no field years, they got in a bus everyday and went a half hour to West Orange HS for practice. Coach Johnson and his Assistants did a phenomenal job of recruiting in these difficult circumstances. Again, the vast majority of the major contributors this year are from that regime. Having said that did he deserve to be fired? Yes he did. They won zero games his last year. I think Wolf won three last year. Newark is a tough place to recruit lacrosse players to. This years success will hopefully help.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

JerseyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:34 pm For a couple of those no field years, they got in a bus everyday and went a half hour to West Orange HS for practice. Coach Johnson and his Assistants did a phenomenal job of recruiting in these difficult circumstances. Again, the vast majority of the major contributors this year are from that regime. Having said that did he deserve to be fired? Yes he did. They won zero games his last year. I think Wolf won three last year. Newark is a tough place to recruit lacrosse players to. This years success will hopefully help.
And, the majority of those players were recruited by an assistant coach that left in 2020. Also, the AD allowed the former coach to do the season end evaluations, which led to 8 of the 2021 recruits to go elsewhere. Wolf has done wonders with Johnson’s players.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

lilax wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:12 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:58 pm Scheduling? NJIT went like 1-17 vs. Monmouth, Manhattan and Wagner the 8 seasons prior to the new coach. He's 4-2 against them in 2 years.

Before you crucify the previous staff remember the situation they were in. Johnson had nothing for the first 5 years of the program.

They competed as an independent. For those that aren't aware, most conference have mandatory minimums for funding (Scholarships/Full Time Coaches/Budget/etc.). Being an independent means the school can treat the program however they want it.

NJIT did not had a homefield for those 5 years also. They played and practice 20 minutes away at DIII's Rutgers-Newark and Drew University.

So tell me this. If you are a recruit, are you willing to go to a school who doesn't have an home field and does not have a chance to make the NCAA playoffs?

They jumped the America East in 2020 and immediately had to get a 2nd assistant and bump their funding up.
I said practically nothing specific about the previous coach or the reasons why they were losing. Just that over-scheduling wasn't the reason they lost, and under-scheduling isn't the reason the current team is winning. And that it's impressive to win with players you didn't recruit.

If you think that's crucifying the previous regime, then you're reading stuff that isn't there. You should enjoy the wins and celebrate the previous teams that built the program from nothing.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm
lilax wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:12 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:58 pm Scheduling? NJIT went like 1-17 vs. Monmouth, Manhattan and Wagner the 8 seasons prior to the new coach. He's 4-2 against them in 2 years.

I said practically nothing specific about the previous coach or the reasons why they were losing. Just that over-scheduling wasn't the reason they lost, and under-scheduling isn't the reason the current team is winning. And that it's impressive to win with players you didn't recruit.

If you think that's crucifying the previous regime, then you're reading stuff that isn't there. You should enjoy the wins and celebrate the previous teams that built the program from nothing.
Personally, as just a college lax fan - I love seeing a program like this have the success they are having. It's so great for the kids and the coaches.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

NJIT playing the defensive game, not the wide open Offensive style.

1-0 NJIT in 1st.

--------

Nice Soviet era gulag style dorms at U of V :lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

3-1 NJIT 1st Q
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Not looking good for NJIT's undefeated season.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Down 2 with tons of time left
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Tied up at 6
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

NJIT no longer unbeaten.

Quinnipiac (6 - 0) has a path to an undefeated regular season.

They have to get past Marist next week though.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”