Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Finster »

jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:24 pm Anyone else concerned about McNaney? Virginia just beating him low time and time again.

I think his two glaring errors against Notre Dame and Brown were worrying enough.

I feel for Tillman. He’s got a VERY capable starter in Ruppel on the bench; if you pull McNaney, I’m not certain you’ll be able to put the genie back in the bottle.

McNaney can make some great saves and his % is good. But man, occasionally his decisions are back breakers for the Terps.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:44 pm
jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:24 pm Anyone else concerned about McNaney? Virginia just beating him low time and time again.

I think his two glaring errors against Notre Dame and Brown were worrying enough.

I feel for Tillman. He’s got a VERY capable starter in Ruppel on the bench; if you pull McNaney, I’m not certain you’ll be able to put the genie back in the bottle.

McNaney can make some great saves and his % is good. But man, occasionally his decisions are back breakers for the Terps.
More concerned that he is a turnover machine against the ride
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

He’s far better than Ruppel. Ruppel cost them the NCAA Tournament game against Army. That’s not the concern
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:55 pm

This has become the problem and I don’t know what’s happened. Might be lost confidence, maybe it’s residual from the injury he doesn’t feel confident to move the ball himself as much. He was nowhere near as bad as this before.
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

Mcnaney ain't the problem. Their offense has no alphas. No need for the defense to slide early, just wait for Maryland to force it in the crease with 3 defensemen pinching in. Teams are adjusting and not playing Maryland at x for this reason, worse yet, when they get hung up, Maryland players stand still and barely cut.
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

Watching the Virginia v Maryland game. How can Maryland be playing in a football stadium? Still? Are they the only "major" D1 program to play ina football stadium? The school doesn't have the moeny for a lacrosse stadium?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Lmao. Syracuse literally plays in a football stadium. Rutgers plays in a football stadium. Cornell does. These are all Top 20 teams
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

How many games is Maryland going to "win" the turnover ratio.

Second line midfield is atrocious, let the young kids play, I'm sure that decision will come by rutgers
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Terpsfan17 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:02 pm Mcnaney ain't the problem. Their offense has no alphas. No need for the defense to slide early, just wait for Maryland to force it in the crease with 3 defensemen pinching in. Teams are adjusting and not playing Maryland at x for this reason, worse yet, when they get hung up, Maryland players stand still and barely cut.
#PhippsEffect
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It’s just genuinely inexcusable to be giving good soldier runs to guys because of production from 2 years ago. And not what the program was built on.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

The problem is we don’t have enough 24 year olds….
How many 5-6 year guys are on UVA, ND, Duke?
Don’t get me wrong we used that card in 22’….
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:36 pm
Terpsfan17 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:02 pm Mcnaney ain't the problem. Their offense has no alphas. No need for the defense to slide early, just wait for Maryland to force it in the crease with 3 defensemen pinching in. Teams are adjusting and not playing Maryland at x for this reason, worse yet, when they get hung up, Maryland players stand still and barely cut.
#PhippsEffect
I know you have an axe to grind because Phipps left Navy a month before the season, or because he said something mean to your kid, or whatever it might be; but it’s Tillman’s offense. It was Tillman’s offense when Jake was here, when Benson was here, when Reppert was here. It is always John Tillman’s offense. The Buck stops with him
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wierman not getting any help from the wings
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:38 pm The problem is we don’t have enough 24 year olds….
How many 5-6 year guys are on UVA, ND, Duke?
Don’t get me wrong we used that card in 22’….
The whole second midfield is basically 24 year olds out there not producing anything
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

Brennan and turnovers kill momentum
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

Tills offense predicated on skip passes, quick passing and movement. They don't have the personnel for this offense right now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:38 pm
#PhippsEffect
I know you have an axe to grind because Phipps left Navy a month before the season, or because he said something mean to your kid, or whatever it might be; but it’s Tillman’s offense. It was Tillman’s offense when Jake was here, when Benson was here, when Reppert was here. It is always John Tillman’s offense. The Buck stops with him
No axe to grind at all, actually like him. My son loved him and was his go to player in his first stint at Navy. My argument is his track record in competitive games.

You can argue it’s all on Tills b/c he is the head coach, but to argue JL Or Benson did not have their say is just silliness on your part. But I’m with you, Tills is far too controlling.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:09 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:38 pm
#PhippsEffect
No axe to grind at all, actually like him. My son loved him and was his go to player in his first stint at Navy. My argument is his track record in competitive games.

You can argue it’s all on Tills b/c he is the head coach, but to argue JL Or Benson did not have their say is just silliness on your part. But I’m with you, Tills is far too controlling.
He's not too controlling, and of course they have their say. But it's his offense. Just like UVA runs Lars defense. Phipps isn't bringing in his own offense and Benson didn't bring his offense. Tillman is an offensive coach who's had 6 offensive coordinators now at Maryland, including the best offense in the last 30 years of the sport, and produced 3 Tewaaraton winners. He knows what he's doing, and it's his offense, and the results are on him, for better or worse.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Offensive efficiency: 26%
Shooting %: 31%
Faceoffs: 57%
Save %: 40%

Shot it pretty decently. Just not enough quality looks. Offense was fine against a good team, but it's not built to have big games and put the team on its back and win games.

The teams road map to success has been and remains >55% on FOs from Wierman and >55% save percentage from McNaney. Third straight game <50% save percentage from McNaney, two losses out of 3 and the other an OT W over the worst team on the schedule. That's the story. Defense could not defend Schutz, which is what the game was going to boil down to as the close D took away the attack. If Wierman is great and McNaney is great, this team can beat anyone. If they're not, they're a pretty good, but not great team.

They need McNaney to get back to how he was playing earlier in the year or the offense has to break out in order to make a serious run. If not, they'll be favored in 3/5 Big Ten games, but it'll be a tough run. We'll see what happens.
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:55 pm

That’s what I meant.

Leaving. Great crowd. Ideal weather.

Virginia had more energy. As a result, this game really never felt in doubt. Schutz is a big boy; one of his goals goes in once every 1,000 years, but it was obvious that Maryland’s SSDM’s seemed to take forever to adjust.

McNaney just looked okay, certainly not AA.

Not sure I agreed with Maryland putting #40 on Shellenberger and #1 on Millon.

I’ll say this: for a team that other than Weirman (who gets no help from his wings btw) played all that great, they hung in. They’re close to being great. Just seem to be missing a little.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”